Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 07:52:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286799 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Debate (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  the sabbath ( what day saterday or sunday)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: the sabbath ( what day saterday or sunday)  (Read 12476 times)
tazmanpat1953

View Profile
« on: February 11, 2007, 02:54:33 PM »

remember the sabbath to keep it holy
tazmanpat1953

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2007, 03:05:24 PM »

when was the sabbath changed from saterday to sunday please quote book, chapter,and verse Huh
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2007, 03:40:07 PM »

Mat 12:8  For the Son of man is Lord even of the sabbath day.

Act 10:36  The word which God sent unto the children of Israel, preaching peace by Jesus Christ: (he is Lord of all:)

Mat 11:28  Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
Mat 11:29  Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

Col 2:16  Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:
Col 2:17  Which are a shadow of things to come
; but the body is of Christ.

All days belong to Him as He is Lord over them all, one is not over another. Worship Him every day all day long.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Brother Jerry
Global Moderator
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2007, 05:30:49 PM »

AMEN

The Sabbath was held on what we would call Saturday.  Most Christians attend church on Sunday.  This is not in observance of the Sabbath or thinking that it was changed or anything of that nature.

Jesus was the ultimate end to the Sabbath.  He was the perfect lamb of the Sabbath sacrafice.  And with His end, so was the end of the Sabbath.

Sincerely
Brother Jerry

------
I am like most fathers.  I, like most, want more for my children than I have.

I am unlike most fathers.  What I would like my children to have more of is crowns to lay at Jesus feet.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2007, 04:42:28 PM »

Hi RBKay,

Welcome to Christians Unite.

Although this thread is specifically about the Sabbath it is also in regards to the Law so in a ways it is the right place to post what you have.

In regards to the OT vs the NT. Why not use both when discussing a topic that is taught in both. Yes, I agree with you that things have changed with the first coming of Jesus and the cross. The OT has it's place though in teaching us that the law was not sufficient and therefore we have a great need for a Saviour.

I also agree that a tithe as set forth in the OT is no longer there. Although it is not a requirement, what is wrong with using it as a basic guideline, not one to be strictly adhered to or required, for as you pointed out we are to give according to our heart which may sometimes be much more than just a tenth. There are those that have a difficult time in budgeting and it may be easier for those to set a certain amount aside for the purpose of giving to the Lord's work. Again, as you have pointed out, it should be with the heart, a cheerful giver and not one that is out of obligation or feeling of being required (law).

As in all things, not just in giving, we are under the law of Grace and Love not the laws of the OT. We are also under the law of liberty. Unfortunately many take advantage of the liberties of Grace and Love that we are under.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
JeffTheRef

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2007, 08:41:32 PM »

Hi RBKay,

Welcome to Christians Unite.

Although this thread is specifically about the Sabbath it is also in regards to the Law so in a ways it is the right place to post what you have.

In regards to the OT vs the NT. Why not use both when discussing a topic that is taught in both. Yes, I agree with you that things have changed with the first coming of Jesus and the cross. The OT has it's place though in teaching us that the law was not sufficient and therefore we have a great need for a Saviour.

I also agree that a tithe as set forth in the OT is no longer there. Although it is not a requirement, what is wrong with using it as a basic guideline, not one to be strictly adhered to or required, for as you pointed out we are to give according to our heart which may sometimes be much more than just a tenth. There are those that have a difficult time in budgeting and it may be easier for those to set a certain amount aside for the purpose of giving to the Lord's work. Again, as you have pointed out, it should be with the heart, a cheerful giver and not one that is out of obligation or feeling of being required (law).

As in all things, not just in giving, we are under the law of Grace and Love not the laws of the OT. We are also under the law of liberty. Unfortunately many take advantage of the liberties of Grace and Love that we are under.

Thank you Roger for a great post.  Blessings Jeff
JustinD

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2007, 10:48:23 AM »

In direct answer to the question - The traditional jewish sabbath is from sunset Friday evening to sunset Saturday evening with Thursday being preperation day (the cooking of food that you'll need to eat during the sabbath, etc.)
2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2007, 04:10:09 PM »

I observe the sabbath Lord every day.    Grin

Tim

Enslaved in service to Christ
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2007, 07:13:37 PM »

AMEN

when was the sabbath changed from saterday to sunday please quote book, chapter,and verse Huh
Numbers 29:35 On the eighth day you shall have a solemn assembly; you shall do no servile work.

The eighth day, sunday....... But I agree with 2T, I observe the Lord every day.

Jemdude

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2007, 03:00:36 AM »

The Sabbath is on Saturday.
Jemdude

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2007, 03:14:05 AM »

If you keep everyday holy, as you seem to suggest, when do you work?
Brother Jerry
Global Moderator
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2007, 09:42:50 AM »

The point was that every day is the Lord's day...not just one day.

And since every day is the Lord's day I too observe the Lord every day.  I do it while I work, where I work, and when I work.  I do it when I am not working or at work.  All time is for the Lord. 

Sincerely
Brother Jerry

------
I am like most fathers.  I, like most, want more for my children than I have.

I am unlike most fathers.  What I would like my children to have more of is crowns to lay at Jesus feet.
Jemdude

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2007, 10:48:52 AM »

Well, one of the ways I keep the Sabbath Day holy is not to work on that day. It's true that you can and should honor God on any day, but God set aside one special day for Him and for us. But I still respect the beliefs of people who worship on Sunday.

A lot of people believe that the day was changed from Saturday to Sunday. I don't believe that. One of the reasons is because it's contrary to common sense. If the day was changed, there would have had to be a specific commandment saying so. You couldn't just casually change the day of worship with no one saying a word about it. Don't believe me? Try changing the day of worship at your home church or denomination and see what happens?  Grin
2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2007, 03:29:11 PM »

Jemdude....my point was, that Jesus IS our sabbath.  We are no longer in bondage to the Law, we are in bondage to the Saviour, who is our eternal rest.  The sabbath was merely a shadow of things to come.

Col 2:16  Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of a holy day, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:
Col 2:17  Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.

You didn't say, but If you are attempting to attain your righteousness by keeping a sabbath.....

Gal 3:10  For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them.

You are required to keep all of the law, and do them.   EDIT TO CLARIFY: which no man is able to keep!

Does this make sense?

Blessings!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 03:44:56 PM by 2nd Timothy » Logged

Tim

Enslaved in service to Christ
Jemdude

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2007, 03:57:32 PM »

2nd Timothy, I keep the Sabbath out of obedience to God, that's all. I don't believe that Col 2:16-17 means that the Sabbath has been abolished. But since it also says not to judge a person based on the worship day, then I assume that also means that I shouldn't be judged on my Sabbath Keeping either.

If the early Church really did change the day of worship, then I really would like to know how they were able to change the day from Saturday to Sunday without a specific commandment and without any protest from within the church or from the pharisees. If the Seventh Day Adventists or the Jews decided to change their worship day, there would be big news about it and much protest. The same thing applies if the Roman Catholic Church or other major Sunday keeping denomination changed their worship day.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the