Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 08:05:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286798 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Debate (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  the sabbath ( what day saterday or sunday)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: the sabbath ( what day saterday or sunday)  (Read 12472 times)
Brother Jerry
Global Moderator
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2007, 10:58:39 AM »

I worship every day, as our Saviour is worthy of worship all the time.
Amen to that !

Sincerely
Brother Jerry

------
I am like most fathers.  I, like most, want more for my children than I have.

I am unlike most fathers.  What I would like my children to have more of is crowns to lay at Jesus feet.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2007, 11:21:28 AM »

I worship every day, as our Saviour is worthy of worship all the time.

Another AMEN!

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Pilgrim

Jesus is Lord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2007, 07:51:17 PM »

I receive a lot of email in regards to an article on my site by the title “Truth” http://www.nlbchapel.org/truth.htm  Many like what is said but then ask why we worship on Sunday rather than the Sabbath. After numerous response by email I decided to post a reply at the end of the article titled “Why Sunday Worship?” which I think may help some here.

http://www.nlbchapel.org/truthreply1.htm

Comments from reader:

"Steve, good article about the catholic church mass and Christmas. Why do you still worship on the catholics non biblical Sunday?

Hello Reader,

Greetings in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ. I am happy that we both agree to the evils of christmass. Christmass season is a time of the year when many who call themselves children of God rebel against Him. Some do it in ignorance and some do it with full knowledge of what this season is all about. Some day I believe many religious leaders will stand in shame when they have to give an account for their spiritual malpractice concerning their involvement in this wicked celebration of a false christ.

We worship on Sunday because like the early church we follow the Word of God. An honest student of the Scripture will easily see that the saints of the early Church met on Sunday (the first day of the week) for worship. Below are a few verses pertaining to this.

Act 2:42 “And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.”

Act 20:7 “And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight.”

1Co 16:1 “Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given order to the churches of Galatia, even so do ye. 2  Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come.”

We know that Jesus arose the first day of the week.

Luk 24:1 “Now upon the first day of the week, very early in the morning, they came unto the sepulchre, bringing the spices which they had prepared, and certain others with them.”

Joh 20:19 “Then the same day at evening, being the first day of the week, when the doors were shut where the disciples were assembled for fear of the Jews, came Jesus and stood in the midst, and saith unto them, Peace be unto you.”

Joh 20:26 “And after eight days again his disciples were within, and Thomas with them: then came Jesus, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, Peace be unto you.”

Matthew Henry’s Comentary

“Joh 20:26-31 -We have here an account of another appearance of Christ to his disciples, after his resurrection, when Thomas was now with them. And concerning this we may observe, I. When it was that Christ repeated his visit to his disciples: After eight days, that day seven-night after he rose, which must therefore be, as that was, the first day of the week.”

As you can see we meet on the first day of the week just like the early Church did. It was Jesus Christ Himself who established this by raising from the dead on Sunday, and meeting on consecutive Sundays with the saints of the early Church. We choose to follow the pattern set forth by Jesus Himself. Seeing that Jesus established Sunday worship it makes no difference that some pagans or Catholics may have met on Sunday as well for their worship. Some Pagans also meet on Saturday for their worship but only in ignorance would someone claim that the Sabbath of the “Ten Commandments” was tied to paganism.

We have to be careful when we come to conclusions based upon similarities of events or things. There are many things in pagan and Catholic rituals that are close to things ordained by God in the Scriptures. Yet we do not throw out the things that God commands because pagans or Catholics may do likewise. Christmass was never ordained by God and it is rooted in paganism and Catholicism therefore we reject it. Sunday worship and gatherings of the saints on the other hand, is found in the Word of God and instituted by Jesus Himself therefore we continue to follow the pattern regardless of what pagans and Catholics practice.

Also, we need to be careful and not confuse laws that belong to Israel alone with laws that belong to the Church alone. A classic example of this would be groups like the “Seventh Day Adventist” who try to say that the “Ten Commandments” apply to the saints in this age. The Word of God teaches differently. In fact, the Word of God clearly teaches that the “Ten Commandments" was only for Israel and not for the gentile.

If interested you may read the rest of the reply here http://www.nlbchapel.org/truthreply1.htm

Pilgrim

New Life Bible Chapel
http://www.nlbchapel.org
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2007, 08:03:17 PM »

I posted this in a thread of it's own but it is a fitting subject for this thread also.

WORSHIP

What does it mean to worship God. We hear it said all the time, "I go to worship on (Saturday or Sunday) at (such and such church). It is debated all of the time on what day we should worship. The word "worship" has taken a change in the meaning of the word. Today we see the use of this word as meaning a church service. In the original Hebrew and Greek it meant to do reverence, adore, to prostrate oneself in homage, to bow down to.

Jesus taught us about worship in John 4:20-24 with the woman from Samaria at the well. Here He tells of how the Jews went to a specified place for worship. He also tells us that the time will come that true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth. What is He saying here? True worship is not just going to church, although that is a great and honorable thing to do. Going to church we can have fellowship with other brothers and sisters, be built up spiritually, strengthening us for the week ahead, we can learn more of Christ and His will for us. True worship is of the spirit. It is an ongoing, daily occurence and with the love for God in our hearts (Col 3:17), that is what truly worshipping God means. Not a show to be put on once or twice a week but living for Him daily all the day long.

Joh 4:20  Our fathers worshipped in this mountain; and ye say, that in Jerusalem is the place where men ought to worship.
Joh 4:21  Jesus saith unto her, Woman, believe me, the hour cometh, when ye shall neither in this mountain, nor yet at Jerusalem, worship the Father.
Joh 4:22  Ye worship ye know not what: we know what we worship: for salvation is of the Jews.
Joh 4:23  But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him.
Joh 4:24  God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

Col 3:17  And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.

Psa 145:2  Every day will I bless thee; and I will praise thy name for ever and ever.

Heb 13:15  By him therefore let us offer the sacrifice of praise to God continually, that is, the fruit of our lips giving thanks to his name.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
daniel1212av
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2007, 08:43:55 AM »

Just happened to see this and thought i would add a late affirmation to  corrections of Sabbath keepers, except to clarify (Pilgrim) that although one  cannot be justified on the basis of law-keeping, yet as manifesting saving faith we are enjoined to keep the purely moral law, as reveled under the New Covenant in it's their intent, as we walk in the Spirit (Rm. 8:4).  However, the 7th day sabbath is under the ceremonial law, which includes the ritual observance of Jewish "days, months, times and years" (Gal. 4:10), as well as dietary laws and ceremonial washings (Col. 2:16; Heb. 9:10). Thus any reiteration of the 4th commandment is conspicuously missing in the commands given to the N.T. church, while all other 9 commands are, and the only specific day which the Holy Spirit records that a separated Christian assembly met on was the first day of the week.  Those who insist we must keep 7th day sabbath miss one of  the the distinctions that make the new covenant "not according" to the covenant  that the LORD made with the children of Israel when they came out of Egypt.   Nor can they truly justify keeping the 7th day Sabbath while neglecting to keep the multitude other perpetual ordinances, and the everlasting covenant of circumcision. See http://peacebyjesus.witnesstoday.org/lawandgrace.html

May we "Stand fast therefore in the liberty [and holiness] wherewith Christ has made us free..") Gal. 5:1
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 08:46:20 AM by daniel1212av » Logged

" The truth is in JESUS" (Eph. 4:21b).
www.peacebyjesus.com
Pilgrim

Jesus is Lord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2007, 12:43:32 PM »

Hello Daniel,

Greetings in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ. The division of the Mosaic Law is a man made idea that is foreign to the Scriptures. You will find no such division divinely laid out. Many say that it was the so-called ceremonial and dietary laws the was nailed to the cross not the so-called moral parts. They say that the so-called moral parts are still in force. Think about how silly this is. If you hold to this view then Christ sacrifice on the cross would only avail for what was nailed to the cross. That would mean that there is no sacrifice for the so-called moral parts which would then mean man kind is still in huge trouble with God. In the end you wind up having a works based salvation based on keeping the so-called moral part of the law of Moses.

Within the Church I can’t think of to many doctrines that people are more confused on than that of law and grace. This is sad because it is one of the most important doctrines and greatly influences one’s view on salvation. I invite you to prayerfully and carefully read the following articles.

“Which Law are You Under?” http://www.nlbchapel.org/which%20law.htm

“Subverters of Souls”  http://www.nlbchapel.org/Subverters.htm

“Comparing the Old Covenant with the New Covenant.”   http://www.nlbchapel.org/covenant.htm

In Christ,
pilgrim

New Life Bible Chapel
http://www.nlbchapel.org
Reba
« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2007, 10:53:37 PM »

2nd Timothy, I keep the Sabbath out of obedience to God, that's all. I don't believe that Col 2:16-17 means that the Sabbath has been abolished. But since it also says not to judge a person based on the worship day, then I assume that also means that I shouldn't be judged on my Sabbath Keeping either.

If the early Church really did change the day of worship, then I really would like to know how they were able to change the day from Saturday to Sunday without a specific commandment and without any protest from within the church or from the pharisees. If the Seventh Day Adventists or the Jews decided to change their worship day, there would be big news about it and much protest. The same thing applies if the Roman Catholic Church or other major Sunday keeping denomination changed their worship day.

One should not be judged on setting aside a day of worship. 

To set aside the Sabbath to proudly say I keep the Sabbath would be a personal problem.

There is much more to keeping  Sabbath than going to church.

Exo 20:10  But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:

Who is the stranger within your gates?   
    The guy who mans the sewer plant on Saturday?
     How about the phone workers?
     The folks who keep the internet up?
     Maybe the people who work for the electric company?
     Ever take a drive on the Sabbath?  We have cops on the roads...
     Surly a Sabbath keeper would never 'eatout' and cause a stranger to labour.

David_james
Gold Member

Jesus loves you

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2007, 11:21:08 PM »

One should not be judged on setting aside a day of worship. 

To set aside the Sabbath to proudly say I keep the Sabbath would be a personal problem.

There is much more to keeping  Sabbath than going to church.

Exo 20:10  But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:

Who is the stranger within your gates?   
    The guy who mans the sewer plant on Saturday?
     How about the phone workers?
     The folks who keep the internet up?
     Maybe the people who work for the electric company?
     Ever take a drive on the Sabbath?  We have cops on the roads...
     Surly a Sabbath keeper would never 'eatout' and cause a stranger to labour.

Sabbath doesn't mean don't do work, it means don't do more than need.
Example:
Make food day before
Clean house day before

Also nurses need to work

Rev 21:4  And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.
Reba
« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2007, 12:43:26 AM »

Sabbath doesn't mean don't do work, it means don't do more than need.
Example:
Make food day before
Clean house day before

Also nurses need to work

Gods Word says what is says show me the scripture that says  what you posted ...

When we dilute the scripture we loose the meaning    The Law clearly states   "shalt not do any work"  God had/has His reasons for stating the law this way..
 To my understanding this discussion really points out just how much Jesus is our Sabbath and how much man can not obey the law...
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2007, 01:52:36 AM »

Gods Word says what is says show me the scripture that says  what you posted ...

When we dilute the scripture we loose the meaning    The Law clearly states   "shalt not do any work"  God had/has His reasons for stating the law this way..
 To my understanding this discussion really points out just how much Jesus is our Sabbath and how much man can not obey the law...

Hello Sister Reba,

They should be easy enough for anyone to find and probably even remember without looking. He's talking about the answers JESUS gave when JESUS was accused of violating the Sabbath in healing people. Thus, Brother David is talking about caring for the ill or dying, but JESUS took the examples all the way down to rescuing livestock in trouble. You should easily find accounts in Matthew, Mark, and Luke.

Regardless, we aren't under the Law anyway, so it's a moot issue.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Brother Jerry
Global Moderator
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2007, 09:06:15 AM »

I think that was exactly Reba's point. 
We are under Grace and that Jesus is our Sabbath.  IF you are going to hold onto the Sabbath then do so as God intended it... Otherwise you are just picking and choosing what laws and regulations best suit you. 

Sincerely
Brother Jerry

------
I am like most fathers.  I, like most, want more for my children than I have.

I am unlike most fathers.  What I would like my children to have more of is crowns to lay at Jesus feet.
daniel1212av
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: September 19, 2007, 06:24:34 PM »

The division of the Mosaic Law is a man made idea that is foreign to the Scriptures.

No it is not, as where Scripture specifically details laws that are abrogated as commands for righteous living, it names a certain form of laws, not purely moral laws (which are not typical in nature) but laws that were ceremonial shadows, such as "meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath," "meats and drinks, and divers washings, and carnal ordinances, imposed on them until the time of reformation" (Col. 2:16; Heb. 9:10).

Not being under the law (Rm. 6:14) obviously does not mean that all purely moral laws are abrogated as commands for holy living, which is the error of the antinomians, for the N.T. constant affirms we are to keep the law in it's holy intent,  as revealed under the New Covenant, as we live out the faith by which we are justified by the imputed righteousness of Christ.  And only because we have as a gift that which the law demands for salvation can we be rightly motivated and enabled to fulfl  the righteousness of the law (Rm. 8:4).  But in contrast to the multiplicity of moral laws that are reiterated under the New covenant, nowhere are we commanded to keep dietary laws, nor those actions which pertained to the Temple sacrifices or outward signs such as circumcision, which were typological in nature.  But as the New Covenant enjoins keeping the moral laws of God (thus no fornicators, etc. shall inherit the kingdom of God: 1Cor. 6:9, 10),  it is manifest that it is in the sense that the law as a system of salvation, and the condemnation of it according to the O.T. salvific  requirement (Gal. 3:10), is what is done away with. As well as letter obedience where it would conflict with it's holy intent, or to obey it "according to the letter" in supposing that a legal fulfillment fulfilled the law of love, which calls us to obey it's holy purpose in it's fullest extent (don't be satisfied with a 10% tithe, but forsake all to follow Christ).  Judicial and civil laws such usually find their application under the New covenant in the spiritual sense, though the law of love in Christ Jesus may also require us to put a fence on our roof (Dt. 22:8 ), if the same danger applied that originally necessitated it 

The New covenant is not a lower standard, but calls and enables a higher one, In obeying the O.T law as interpreted under the New Covenant, we see that the  law against the sin of adultery is reiterated in the N.T. but  extends to the heart as well.  But no one can say that since the law against the sin of bestiality is not reiterated in the N.T. then we need not obey it.  And to mystically propose that since we are under the law of love then we need no more obey (as under the New Covenant) the moral law (as a category) of Moses is contrary to love, for the Mosaic law reveals what love for God and man entails. And though we obey it as understood under the New Covenant, most of the time it requires keeping it in letter as well as in spirit. It is still a sin to literally disobey nine of the ten of the 10 commandments, though we not saved by keeping them.  Nor was it the moral laws of the O.T. that Peter labeled as a burden (Acts 15:10), but the entire law, which included the multitude of abrogated typological laws (such as circumcision), as a means of salvation (Acts 15:1). That the requirements given them were only the bare essentials for redeemed souls is evident inn the epistles, and thus the value of Moses being read in the synagogues (v. 21).   

In short, we are not under the law (as an entire  unit) as a means for salvation. The law gains it's power to condemn when perfect obedience to it is made the requirement for salvation (because we fall short of that), and we are not under the law in that sense, nor bound to literal obedience to every precept of the law as a whole, but as souls justified by faith and made "accepted the the Beloved," we seek to keep the intent of law, which usually requires obedience to the letter, insofar as the moral law is concerned, yet "not according to t he letter" as if that is where it stops, but according to it's full intent.  The letter of the law offers a theoretical limit, but love is open ended.

It is in this fulfilling of the righteousness of the law - which is holy, just and good and which a righteous man loves  -  that constitutes charity out of a pure heart, and of a good conscience, and of faith unfeigned.  It's lawful use according to the letter is as a means of deterring the wickedness of man's sinful heart and convicting man of sin, but for those who have come to salvation thereby and walk in newness of life, the spirit of the law is their delight,  whose obedience does not stop at the letter, where that is applicable, but in all that love for such righteousness would entail (1Tim. 1:18-21).

And in this i certainly have a very long way to go. "Brethren, pray for us." .
« Last Edit: September 21, 2007, 04:58:29 PM by daniel1212av » Logged

" The truth is in JESUS" (Eph. 4:21b).
www.peacebyjesus.com
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 20, 2007, 06:16:32 AM »

Brothers and Sisters,

Everything here can be boiled down to something extremely simple and easy to understand.

"The Law of Faith in JESUS CHRIST has set us free from the curse of sin and death".

JESUS CHRIST is our SABBATH 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. EVERY day belongs to HIM, so "This is another wonderful day that the LORD has made, Let us be glad and rejoice in it."

Matthew 22:36-40  NASB  "Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?" And He said to him, " 'YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND.' "This is the great and foremost commandment. "The second is like it, 'YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF.' "On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophets."

Love In Christ,
Tom

Thanks be unto God for His unspeakable GIFT, Jesus Christ, our Lord and Saviour Forever!

David_james
Gold Member

Jesus loves you

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 20, 2007, 09:11:36 AM »

Amen Brother BEP, couldn't say it better myself. No really I never have the words but they are in my heart.

Rev 21:4  And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.
Maryjane

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 26, 2007, 05:20:28 PM »

Isn't it wonderful that we as Gentiles have been given everyday to keep Holy for the Lord our God is Holy...We do not have to go through a priest to make attonemant for our sins once a year for Jesus Christ  has paid for our sin with precious blood...everyday is to praise the Lord for what He has done and the highest praise we can give Him everyday is to give our lives to Him..
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the