Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:08:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286776 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Completed and Favorite Threads
| | |-+  Psalms
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Psalms  (Read 43297 times)
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Early In The Morning I Will Praise The Lord

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2006, 06:48:09 PM »

23, 24. "The steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord; and He delights in His way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; for the Lord upholds him with His hand."

What precious truths here offer comfort! Our path seems sometimes to be dark; but let us seek the Spirit's guidance, and plead this promise, which ensures right direction, and God's smile upon our path. Our weak steps too often totter, and Satan seems ready to cast us down; but help from heaven is near. We are not left to lie in mire of sin. We are not finally cast off. God's hand uplifts us, and gives sure support until life's journey ends.

25, 26. "I have been young, and now am old; yet have I not seen the righteous forsaken, nor his seed begging bread. He is ever merciful, and lends; and his seed is blessed."

The Psalmist states the experience of a long life. Kindness and liberality are signs of grace. The good man leaves a legacy of blessing to his children. The smile of the Lord shines upon children's children.

27, 28, 29. "Depart from evil, and do good; and dwell forevermore. For the Lord loves judgment, and forsakes not His saints; they are preserved forever; but the seed of the wicked shall be cut off. The righteous shall inherit the land, and dwell there forever."

The Spirit multiplies grand promises to enrich the followers of Christ. What a cluster here sparkles! The love of God will always beam upon their path. No real desertion shall ever leave them helpless. Security is the realm in which they dwell. The full inheritance of faith is theirs. Eternity is the measure of their happiness. May the Spirit fix these truths upon our hearts, and help us mightily to depart from evil, and to do good! May our holiness be sure evidence that we have received grace!

30, 31. "The mouth of the righteous speaks wisdom, and his tongue talks of judgment. The law of his God is in his heart; none of his steps shall slide."

Here is the portrait of the blessed Jesus. Grace was ever poured upon His lips. His words were perfect wisdom. His heart was love without alloy. His feet were ever steadfast in untainted holiness. Such is our bright example. May our distinction ever be the mouth of wisdom, the innocent tongue, the heart of love, the upright walk!

32, 33. "The wicked watches the righteous, and seeks to slay him. The Lord will not leave him in his hand, nor condemn him when he is judged."

The words are primarily predictive of our ever-blessed Head. Spies marked His words and ways. The cry was, Crucify Him! Crucify Him! A mock trial preceded condemnation. But iniquity could not prevail. He rose the Conqueror of death. He mounted to the right hand of God.

The servants must not expect to find more kindness. But let not the righteous fear persecutions. They strengthen faith; they ripen grace; they give occasion for faithful testimony. They prove reality of grace. They lead to sure deliverance and final glory.

34, 35, 36. "Wait on the Lord, and keep His way, and He shall exalt you to inherit the land; when the wicked are cut off, you shall see it. I have seen the wicked in great power, and spreading himself like a green baytree; yet he passed away, and, lo, he was not; yes, I sought him, but he could not be found."

Line upon line, precept upon precept, forbid impatience. They call to the patience of hope and the obedient course. The promise is again and again repeated that we shall dwell eternally blessed in a new scene.

A vivid picture shows how short-lived is ungodly prosperity. We see a tree of verdant beauty. Deep are its roots. Wide spreading are its branches. We admire it today. Tomorrow we seek it, and it is gone. Thus while we gaze, the wicked pass away.

37, 38. "Mark the perfect man, and behold the upright; for the end of that man is peace. But the transgressors shall be destroyed together; the end of the wicked shall be cut off."

Can we claim interest in these descriptions of God's children? If so, let us cast off all fear. Many may be our troubles on the stormy billows of time; but we shall in perfect peace enter the eternal haven. The ungodly have their voyage of restlessness, and their end is misery.

39, 40. "But the salvation of the righteous is of the Lord; He is their strength in the time of trouble. And the Lord shall help them, and deliver them; He shall deliver them from the wicked, and save them, because they trust in Him." Salvation is a free-grace gift. God wills it. God achieves it. God bestows it. The gift is without repentance. It is never recalled. The saved are forever saved. No enemy shall prevail. God, by His Spirit, works faith in their hearts. They trust in Him. He strengthens. He upholds. He calls to heaven. And heaven they attain.

http://www.gracegems.org/
Our literature is public domain—use it in any way you desire.
No monetary donations accepted. "Freely you
have received, freely give." Matthew 10:8

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2006, 07:07:53 PM »

Psalm 38

The Psalmist, in deep sense of sin, and writhing under just chastisement, spreads his sad condition before God.

1. "O Lord, do not rebuke me in Your wrath; neither chasten me in Your hot displeasure."

What anguish follows subsequent to sin! Sin is the prolific source of every woe. It sows vile seed, and crops of suffering spring up. It is so in the case of God's own children. Through lack of vigilance, through restraint of prayer, through deafness to the Spirit's voice, through stiflings of conscience, through yielding to the craving of the flesh, and neglect of the sacred Word, they often stumble and fall grievously. God sees. His displeasure is justly kindled. Indignation puts forth angry hand. The scourge is not withheld, and miserable is the offender's case.

But he well knows that his afflictions spring not from the dust. He knows the hand which chastises is the hand of paternal love. He feels that his sufferings call him to the mercy-seat. He cries not for entire removal of what is so fully merited, but for alleviation and relief. He pleads, Let not anger wholly crush me. Let not hot displeasure be too fierce a furnace. "O Lord, do not rebuke me in Your wrath; neither chasten me in Your hot displeasure."

2, 3, 4, 5. "For Your arrows stick fast in me, and Your hand presses me sore. There is no soundness in my flesh because of Your anger; neither is there any rest in my bones because of my sin. For my iniquities have gone over my head; as a heavy burden they are too heavy for me. My wounds stench, and are corrupt, because of my foolishness."

As piercing arrows inflict rankling pain, as heavy burdens overwhelm and crush, thus sense of sin, and realized displeasure of God, bring agony of soul, and lay it low in sorrow. A wounded and bruised spirit, who can bear? There is close sympathy between the mind and body. The wasted flesh reflects the pining spirit, and the whole frame shows ravages of malady. Iniquities, which seemed at first but tiny drops, soon swell into the billows of the overwhelming deep, and threaten to engulf the struggling sufferer. When the floodgates open, descending torrents come, as a drowning deluge. No images can exhaust the anguish. The putrid sores but faintly show the miseries of the sin-stricken soul.

6, 7, 8. "I am troubled; I am bowed down greatly; I go mourning all the day long. For my loins are filled with a loathsome disease; and there is no soundness in my flesh. I am feeble and sore broken; I have groaned by reason of the anguish of my heart."

The Spirit still draws back the veil and shows in fearful colors the deep afflictions of the awakened conscience. Trouble occupies the heart. The head hangs down. The stooping gait is evidence of failing strength. Let those who seek to find delight in sin ponder this portrait. Through the whole day, from rising to declining sun, mourning is the constant comrade. The falling tears, the sighing heart, proclaim that misery presents no respite. The ruined health adds woe to woe. Loud lamentations prove that deep anxiety prevails within. Who can contemplate these results, and not detest the cruel monster!

9. "Lord, all my desire is before You; and my groaning is not hidden from You."

Out of these fearful depths there is a ready access to the throne of grace. The afflicted soul looks upward and appeals to God. No direct application is expressed, but attention is humbly craved to the desires which have a language in the ears of God. "The Spirit itself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered; and He who searches the hearts knows what is the mind of the Spirit."

10, 11, 12. "My heart pants, my strength fails me; as for the light of my eyes, it also is gone from me. My lovers and my friends stand aloof from my sore, and my kinsmen stand afar off. Those also who seek my life lay snares for me; and those who seek my hurt speak mischievous things, and imagine deceits all the day long."

The Psalmist, in the bitterness of his sorrow, enlarges on the aggravations of his misery. When sorrows multiply, how sweet is the solace of sympathizing friends! The complaint is heard that not only such relief was denied, but that enemies endeavored to ensnare him, and ceased not to propagate injurious deceits.

Faith sees that a greater than David is here. The "Man of Sorrows" thus shows the writhings of His heart, when He appeared as by imputation, the bearer of His people's sins. While in spirit we hear His moans, let us bless Him from our inmost souls for all His substitutional anguish. He was bruised for our iniquities. He was wounded for our sins.

13, 14. "But I, as a deaf man, heard not; and I was as a dumb man that opens not his mouth. Thus I was as a man that hears not, and in whose mouth are no reproofs."

Affliction's school is not a joyous place. Lessons of mirth and merriment are not learned there. Sorrow sits pensive on the pupil's brow; but it is a sorrow which leads to abiding fruits of peace. Tribulation works patience. Proud petulance receives a death-blow. Reproof upbraids not. Meek submission bows its humble head.

Surely here the blessed Jesus is conspicuous. "He was led as a lamb to the slaughter; and as a sheep before its shearers is dumb, so He opened not His mouth." No cruel taunts drew from His lips an angry reply. Majestic silence was His rebuke to Pilate. To keep our mouths as it were with a bridle is divine art. This is the blessed fruit of discipline under sorrow's scourge.

15. "For in You, O Lord, do I hope; You will hear, O Lord my God."

The true believer looks not to himself for power of defense or triumph over foes. His hope is fixed on Heaven. He knows that aid is at hand, even the aid which God alone can give. His prayers will stir up God to help, even the God who promises to hear. Thus patience works experience, and experience hope.

16. "For I said, Hear me, lest otherwise they should rejoice over me; when my foot slips, they magnify themselves against me."

Faith is permitted humbly to expostulate with God. Come, let us reason together. Audience with God is craved on the plea that if no answer comes, and no upholding grace supported, ungodly triumph would rejoice, and God's great name would be blasphemed. God's children are always watched with spiteful malice. The slightest tottering in the upward path causes the foe to raise insulting head, and boast of his happy and superior lot.

17, 18. "For I am ready to halt, and my sorrow is continually before me. For I will declare my iniquity; I will be sorry for my sin."

The believer is always conscious that in himself no strength resides. Unless upheld, he will surely fall. He knows his weakness; and he deeply mourns. He knows how often he has sadly fallen. He tells out his iniquity into the ears of God, and spreads out his sorrowing case.

19, 20. "But my enemies are lively, and they are strong; and those who hate me wrongfully are multiplied. Those also who render evil for good are my adversaries; because I follow the thing that is good."

If outward circumstances proved internal state, the ungodly would often seem to have the favorite's lot. Lively mirth is frequently in their dwelling. Their bow remains in strength; their ranks expand in numbers. The Psalmist witnessed this superficial prosperity. In every age the enemies of God are thus allowed to have their short-lived triumph. The godly are not thereby provoked either to distrust God, or to retaliate on their foes. They know that their godliness is the cause of all their persecution, and that the path of righteousness leads through the land of hate and cruelty. But their constant effort is to overcome evil with good; and to be meek followers of the patient Lamb of God, the holy Jesus, who could testify, "Many good works have I shown you from My Father, for which of those works do you stone Me?"

21, 22. "Forsake me not, O Lord; O my God, do not be far from me. Make haste to help me, O Lord, my salvation."

Prayer is the believer's constant refuge. Blessed are the trials which impel to the mercy-seat. Here triple supplications call down the presence of the Lord. Forsake me not—do not be far from me, or be very near me—make haste to help me. The prayer is intensified by the invocation, O Lord, O my God, O Lord, my salvation. It is a grand privilege to be permitted to use such wrestling earnestness. It will assuredly prevail. Answers will richly come; and God will show Himself a very present help in time of trouble.

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2006, 07:10:11 PM »

Psalm 39

The Psalmist resolves to be guarded in his speech. He reflects on the brevity of human life, and the vanity of earthly show. He prays in prospect of his near departure.

1, 2, 3. "I said, I will take heed to my ways, that I sin not with my tongue; I will keep my mouth with a bridle, while the wicked is before me. I was dumb with silence; I held my peace, even from good; and my sorrow was stirred. My heart was hot within me; while I was musing the fire burned; then I spoke with my tongue."

A grievous picture meets our eyes. Sad it is, and sadly common. The children of God are surrounded by the children of the evil one. Provocations press them to utter strong reproof; but holy wisdom restrains impatient utterance. The bridled tongue avails more than indignant remonstrance. But the inward agitation, like smoldering embers, will break forth in flames.

Again we see the meek and lowly Jesus. Amid the frantic fury and cruel mockings of His unjust judges and the raging crowd, no railing word breaks from His holy lips.

4. "Lord, make me to know my end, and the measure of my days, what it is; that I may know how frail I am."

Troubles find mitigation in the thought that they are linked to fleeting time, and soon must reach their end. Sense of brief tenure and near dissolution check all outbreaks of impatience. Therefore it is good to pray, 'Lord, teach us our frailty.'

5, 6. "Behold, You have made my days as a handbreadth, and my age is as nothing before You; verily every man at his best state is altogether vanity. Surely every man walks in a vain show; surely they are disquieted in vain; he heaps up riches and knows not who shall gather them."

The tiniest time is a fitting emblem of an earthly course. Its measure is as nothing when compared with eternal things. The things which are seen are temporal, the things which are not seen are eternal.

Look at the state which worldlings prize as the pinnacle of bliss. Let riches abound, and honors crown the brow, and power raise to loftiest station; let health bloom brightly, and strength nerve the limbs, let no worldly wish be ungratified—the whole is but a shadow, an empty husk, an unsubstantial facade. It is as the flower of the grass—green in the morning, in the evening dry and withered. The riches piled with toil, anxiety, and ceaseless effort, must be left. To whom? Uncertainty conceals the heir. No mind can tell who shall get them.

7. "And now, Lord, what do I wait for? my hope is in You."

The believer waits in full assurance that aid will come from heaven in God's good time. Let all trials be welcomed which brighten the rays of godly hope.

8, 9, 10, 11. "Deliver me from all my transgressions; make me not the reproach of the foolish. I was dumb, I opened not my mouth, because you did it. Remove Your stroke away from me; I am consumed by the blow of Your hand. When You with rebukes correct man for iniquity, You make his beauty to consume away like a moth; surely every man is vanity."

Consciousness of sin as the indwelling root of suffering will always abide, and should always prompt the prayer for deliverance by the mighty power of grace; and this prayer should be quickened by the fear lest the ungodly should gain advantage, and impiously exult. The resolve should be renewed to endure patiently, from persuasion that the hand of God thus chastens, that the fruits of righteousness should spring up. Reiterated prayer calls for withdrawal of the heavy hand. The feeble and the withered look soon shows the anguish of the afflicted heart. Behold the moth-eaten garment, unsound and rotten—it is the emblem of the countenance of the sin-stricken.

12, 13. "Hear my prayer, O Lord, and give ear to my cry; hold not Your peace at my tears; for I am a stranger with You, and a sojourner, as all my fathers were. O spare me, that I may recover strength, before I go hence and be no more."

When troubles increase, prayers should grow more earnest. It is good to realize that this present world is not our rest. Our abiding city is not on earth. Where are our fathers? Are we better than they? But they are gone; and as they went, we follow. But it should be our deep desire that our last days should be our best, and that as life fades our faith should more exalt the praises of our God. For this we need increase of grace. May we be so strengthened that our departing steps may show the upward path, and allure beholders to follow our example!

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2006, 07:21:56 PM »

Psalm 40

Marvelous deliverance follows continued patience. Others are thereby quickened to act faith. God's goodness is unspeakable. Christ is the end of the law. Earnest supplication is awakened by a sense of surrounding evil. Strong desire follows that confusion may overwhelm the cruel mockers, while gladness and praise cheer the godly.

1, 2, 3. "I waited patiently for the Lord, and He inclined to me, and heard my cry. He brought me up also out of a horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings. And He has put a new song in my mouth, even praise to our God; many shall see it and fear, and shall trust in the Lord."

Patience is a precious grace. O Lord, increase it in us. Like love, it suffers long, and suffers not in vain. The tree shaken by winds, the vine well-pruned, becomes abundant in rich fruits. The Lord arises at the earnest cry, and brings a rescue. Tribulation is as a horrible pit, beset with terribleness, and presenting no escape. It is as the miry clay in which the shackled feet move heavily. How sweet the change when the Lord's rescuing hand brings help! Then a firm pavement courts advance, and forbids all halting and backsliding. Unencumbered climbers nimbly tread the upward path. The path, also, resounds with joy. The song of praise which had been silent again breaks forth; and the Lord's name is duly magnified. The happy result is not confined to the emancipated pilgrim. Many observe not only the believer's fall, but also the evidences of God's goodness towards him. They see that God's blessing truly rests upon His people—awe fills their minds, and they are led to make the Lord their trust.

4. "Blessed is that man who makes the Lord his trust, and respects not the proud, nor such as turn aside to lies."

The observers see where true blessedness resides. It is discovered to be far from the haughty, whose confidence is in self, and whose devious wanderings are amid falsehoods and deceits.

5. "Many, O Lord my God, are Your wonderful works which You have done, and Your thoughts which are toward us; they cannot be reckoned up in order to You; if I would declare and speak of them, they are more than can be numbered."

An obvious reflection cannot be restrained. God's mercies in providence and grace exceed all powers to number, all eloquence to unfold. His thoughts are ever devising wondrous works in our behalf. His mighty hand is ever outstretched to accomplish His gracious plans. Where is a God like our God? Our praises cannot reach His goodness. Let us love and adore Him more and more.

6, 7, 8. "Sacrifice and offering You did not desire; my ears You have opened; burnt-offering and sin-offering You have not required. Then I said, lo, I come; in the volume of the book it is written of Me. I delight to do Your will, O my God; yes, Your law is within my heart."

As illustration that God's gracious thoughts exceed all limits, the work of redeeming love, the everlasting covenant decreed in the councils of heaven, the coming of the Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, His abrogation of all typical shadows, are particularized. Christ, by His Holy Spirit speaks; no doubt obscures this truth. The Apostle to the Hebrews declares it.

In the sacrifices of the Jewish Church there was no finality. They pointed to the Gospel-fulfillment. Every dying victim bleeding on every altar pointed to Jesus hanging on the accursed tree. The blood streaming from each sacrifice foreshadowed the all-cleansing blood of Calvary. But in the shadow there was no genuine atonement. By Christ alone is full atonement made, and everlasting expiation rendered. To accomplish this redeeming work, the Savior must assume our nature. A body must be prepared for Him. As in the law, the willing servant testified by boring of the ear his devotedness to his master's service; so in the volume of eternal decrees, and in the pages of Scripture, Christ's willing work is testified. Redemption was the Father's will. To do this will was Christ's intense delight. Father, we bless You for Your love, the cause of all salvation. Precious Jesus, we bless You for Your love which undertook and finished the glorious work!

9, 10. "I have preached righteousness in the great congregation; lo, I have not refrained my lips, O Lord, You know. I have not hidden Your righteousness within my heart; I have declared Your faithfulness and Your salvation; I have not concealed Your loving-kindness and Your truth from the great congregation."

As Jesus fulfilled the priestly office by the sacrifice of Himself, so He fulfills His work as prophet. By His lips, by the announcement of His servants, taught and aided by His Spirit, the righteousness of God is proclaimed from age to age. No veil conceals the glorious mysteries of salvation. The whole scheme is traced to its grand source. The lovingkindness and truth of God is duly set forth. Happy are those who are privileged to hear from faithful lips the words of life! Happy those who gladly embrace them, and ascribe salvation to the sovereign will and gracious purpose of the divine Jehovah!

11. "Withhold not Your tender mercies from me, O Lord; let Your loving-kindness and Your truth continually preserve me."

There is no sweeter encouragement in prayer than the knowledge that the whole work of redemption has been fully accomplished by our mystical Head; and that all the mercies of the covenant of grace are a purchased possession. The believer may draw near with boldness and claim the guardian care, not only of lovingkindness but also of truth. Believers are in peril at every moment; but at every moment the mercies for which Christ has paid the price of His most precious death are near; and lovingkindness and truth are continually ready to uphold.

12. "For innumerable evils have surrounded me; my iniquities have taken hold of me, so that I am not able to look up; they are more than the hairs of my head; therefore my heart fails me."

To the eye of faith the blessed Jesus here conspicuously appears. "All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way, but the Lord has laid on Him the iniquities of us all." "He was made sin for us, who knew no sin, that we might be made the righteousness of God in Him." Thus He stands before God, by imputation as the greatest sinner ever seen on earth. He denies not His sin-laden position. He accepts all the iniquities of all His people, as truly His own. He acknowledges their grievous weight. They so depress Him that He cannot raise His eyes. In numbers they exceed all power to count. In devout consciousness of the immensity of relief, with what fervor will the believer bless His burden-bearer—His sin sustainer—the Lamb of God, who takes away his sin!

13. "Be pleased, O Lord, to deliver me; O Lord, make haste to help me."

Emboldened by the plea that all guilt is transferred to Christ, the believer urgently implores deliverance, and craves immediate aid from his God. May the Lord increase our faith, that we may wrestle in full assurance that all the provisions of the covenant of grace are truly ours!

14, 15. "Let them be ashamed and confounded together who seek after my soul to destroy it; let them be driven backward, and put to shame, who wish me evil. Let them be desolate for a reward of their shame who say to me, Aha, aha!"

This petition is prophetic. It foresees the final overthrow of Antichrist, and all the opposing hosts of darkness. The seed of the woman shall surely bruise the serpent's head. The Gospel has gone forth conquering and to conquer. Voices in heaven shall assuredly proclaim, "The kingdoms of this world have become the kingdoms of our Lord, and of His Christ; and He shall reign forever and ever." His enemies shall lick the dust. The dreadful cry will be heard, "Hide us from the face of Him who sits on the throne, and from the wrath of the Lamb." Blessed are those who have fled for refuge to the wounded side of Jesus! They are delivered from the wrath to come. When weeping, and wailing, and gnashing of teeth, are the one sound of woe, they will commence the everlasting hymn of praise!

16. "Let all those who seek You rejoice and be glad in You; let those who love Your salvation say continually, The Lord be magnified."

The character of the rejoicing company is distinctly drawn. They seek the Lord; they love His salvation. It is their grand desire to know more of Christ; they forsake all to follow Him; they strive to grow in grace, and in His knowledge; and their whole hearts delight in the salvation which He so dearly purchased, and so freely gives. Their joy is to exalt the Lord, and lift high His praise.

17. "But I am poor and needy; yet the Lord thinks upon me; You are my help and my deliverer; make no tarrying, O my God."

Deep consciousness of poverty continually abides. In us, that is in our flesh, there dwells no good thing. Yet we are rich and have all things in the gracious care of our God. His thoughts of love are ever on His people. He is their help and their deliverer, and their cry gives Him no rest, "Make no tarrying, O my God."

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2006, 07:38:50 PM »

Psalm 41

The happy state of the compassionate is depicted. The vindictive malevolence of the ungodly is also shown. Prayer to God and profession of faith follow with warm ascription of praise.

1, 2, 3. "Blessed is he who considers the poor; the Lord will deliver him in time of trouble. The Lord will preserve him and keep him alive; and he shall be blessed upon the earth; and You will not deliver him to the will of His enemies. The Lord will strengthen him upon the bed of languishing; You will make all his bed in his sickness."

Tender compassion for the poor and suffering is the fruit of the Spirit in the minds of believers. It is a sweet feature in the family of faith. The Lord regards such with especial love. But they are not exempt from trouble. Their heavenward march is through much tribulation; sickness often assails their frames, languor depresses them, and weakness detains them to a bed of suffering. But they are not deserted—no, they now are compassed with peculiar mercies. When heart and flesh appear to fail, the inner man is renewed with especial strength. Welcome all sickness which brings Jesus to the bedside!

4. "I said, Lord, be merciful unto me; heal my soul; for I have sinned against You."

The suffering saint draws nearer to his God. He does not hide his sin; he sees in it the cause of soul-disease, and he supplicates for mercy to bring relief.

5, 6, 7, 8. "My enemies speak evil of me; when shall he die, and his name perish? And if he comes to see me, he speaks vanity; his heart gathers iniquity to itself; when he goes abroad, he tells it. All that hate me whisper together against me; against me do they devise my hurt. An evil disease, say they, cleaves fast to him and now that he lies, he shall rise up no more."

Sad is this picture of the treachery and deep malice of false friends. It is a grief to those who the godly live. They long for the day when the grave shall cover them, and their fame no more be heard. This is the very treatment which assailed the holy Jesus. Grievous sins were laid to His charge. Watchful spies marked His words and steps; and base accusations were continually propagated, and when the grave received Him, vigilance guarded the tomb lest His predicted reappearance should be verified.

9. "Yes, my own familiar friend, in whom I trusted, who ate my bread, has lifted up his heel against me."

Doubtless, in the first instance, Absalom is here portrayed. But in his heartless and unnatural rebellion he is the type of the vile traitor, whose wickedness can find no parallel in the history of crime. We see in him to what a depth of sin the graceless heart can sink. He walked the familiar friend of Jesus, he was constantly by His side, he witnessed His heavenly walk, and with all knowledge of His truth, he took a paltry bribe to sell Him to His foes. We learn from this foreshadowing of the treason, that our blessed Lord approached redemption's work with full knowledge of the anguish and the sufferings before Him. O blessed Jesus! we adore You that, foreknowing all, You endured all to raise us from sin and sin's punishments to the heights of heavenly glory!

10, 11. "O Lord, be merciful to me, and raise me up, that I may requite them. By this I know that You favor me, because my enemy does not triumph over me."

Predictions still speak. From the dead Jesus was raised. All power in heaven and earth was surrendered to Him. All the enemies who fought against Him were crushed beneath the wheels of His chariot of triumph. Happy are those who meekly bow before Him, and accept His blessed sway!

12, 13. "And as for me, You uphold me in my integrity, and set me before Your face forever. Blessed be the Lord God of Israel from everlasting, and to everlasting. Amen, and Amen."

Jesus was upheld until He returned in triumph to the heaven of heavens, and took His seat as King of Glory on the right hand of the Majesty on High. So each believer may plead with confidence the promise, "I will never leave you nor forsake you." Constant smiles will gild the passage to the realms of everlasting light. Let, then, the shout begin on earth, which shall continue through eternity's bright day, "Blessed be the Lord God of Israel, from everlasting and to everlasting. Amen, and Amen!"

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2006, 07:41:10 PM »

Psalm 42

Rejection is the pervading note of this hymn. The joys of the sanctuary are forbidden. Insulting foes augment distress. In conclusion, the soul is chided for yielding to despondency.

1, 2. "As the deer pants after the water-brooks, so pants my soul after You, O God. My soul thirsts for God, for the living God; when shall I come and appear before God?"

A tender and expressive image meets us. The deer, exhausted by long flight beneath the scorching sun, or in the dusty plain, pants for the cooling stream in which to quench the pangs of thirst. How eagerly relief is sought! Here is the believer banished from the sweet refreshments of the sanctuary. It is not so much the outward form which is the object of desire, but the intimate communion with God, to which the services, when duly used, would surely raise. In true worship God's presence is sought and found, and thoroughly enjoyed.

3, 4. Day and night, I have only tears for food, while my enemies continually taunt me, saying, "Where is this God of yours?" My heart is breaking as I remember how it used to be: I walked among the crowds of worshipers, leading a great procession to the house of God, singing for joy and giving thanks—it was the sound of a great celebration!

Fast flowing tears testified the deep sorrows of the Redeemer's heart, when He heard the revilings of His foes. They taunted Him with the sneer, that surely His banishment from holy service was proof that God had forsaken Him. He remembered the happy seasons when, in happy company, He sought the sanctuary, and joined His praises to those of the multitude of fellow-worshipers. It is the very foretaste of heaven, with one mind, and one mouth, to unite in public adoration.

5. "Why are you cast down, O my soul? and why are you disturbed in me? hope in God; for I shall yet praise Him for the help of His countenance."

Too much depression is a sign of weak faith—anxiety should never occupy a godly heart. It is well to chide the soul, and rouse it from its downcast state. Hope should go forth in lively exercise. In darkest days it should look to Jesus, and take courage. Nothing should weaken the assurance that the outcome of the most grievous trials will be increased thanksgiving to our God.

6. "O my God, my soul is cast down within me; therefore will I remember You from the land of Jordan, and of the Hermonites, from the hill Mizar."

Its consolation is not easily eradicated. Like the noxious weed again and again it reappears. But thoughts of God will still revive in the faithful breast. Though God may be apparently far distant, the eye of faith will turn towards Him. Though driven beyond Jordan, the Psalmist still remembers Zion, and the tabernacles of his God.

7, 8. "I hear the tumult of the raging seas as your waves and surging tides sweep over me. Through each day the Lord pours his unfailing love upon me, and through each night I sing his songs, praying to God who gives me life."

As wave upon wave, distress will sometimes follow distress. As descending rain swells the streams, and floods overwhelm the plains, so torrents of sorrow will oppress the heart. Yet the believer is sustained by undoubting trust. He knows that lovingkindness has received a mandate to visit him throughout the day, and to cheer him with songs in the night season, and to strengthen him to wrestle with God in prayer, as the God who maintains his life.

9, 10. "I will say to God my rock, Why have You forgotten me? why go I mourning because of the oppression of the enemy? As with a sword in my bones, my enemies reproach me; while they say daily to me, Where is your God?"

When the believer can realize that God is his rock, he is bold to expostulate, and thinks it no presumption to implore attention to his suffering case. He states as the extremity of his anguish, that he is pierced to the quick by the impious insolence of cruel mockers, who reiterate the taunt, that God has forsaken him, and is indifferent to his woe. He appeals to God, Why am I thus afflicted?

11. "Why are you cast down, O my soul? and why are you disturbed within me? hope in God; for I shall yet praise Him, who is the health of my countenance, and my God."

Admonition with the soul is repeated. Trials will return; and they must be met with renewal of spiritual reasoning. The covenant is forever settled in heaven. Hope, therefore, should never fail. Deliverance will surely come. The voice of praise will again shout, "He is the health of my countenance, and my God."

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 11, 2006, 07:43:19 PM »

Psalm 43

The pensive note of the preceding hymn is here prolonged. The circumstances are the same; the same, also, are the exercises and the expressions of the mind.

1. "Judge me, O God, and plead my cause against an ungodly nation; O deliver me from the deceitful and unjust man."

Happy is the man who is conscious of his own integrity. He can lift up his eyes in holy confidence to his God, and ask Him to vindicate his cause against iniquitous oppression. If God is for us, who can be against us? There were many occasions in the checkered life of David in which this cry would be appropriate. The aged monarch, the heart-broken parent, would thus most fitly pray, when his own child rose up to hurl him from his throne, and the ungodly nation joined in the impious attempt. Here is the experience of many followers of Christ. Because they are not of the world, but Christ has chosen them out of the world, therefore the world hates them. In all these troubles they may appeal to God, and never will they cry in vain.

2. "For You are the God of my strength; why do You cast me off? Why go I mourning because of the oppression of the enemy?"

It is the province of faith to realize that in all apparent weakness there is really strength. But where is the treasure-house of strength? It is not in SELF. For man unaided is a broken reed—light as the chaff before the wind—powerless as an infant in a giant's grasp.

But his strength is firm as the everlasting hills. It is Jehovah in His might. While he trembles, he can still cry, You are the God of my strength. But still he is perplexed. Outward troubles seem to indicate desertion and rejection. The enemy oppresses; he cannot but mourn. Many thoughts arise, that these trials are to recall from devious paths, and are the chastenings of just displeasure. He draws near with bold familiarity, and supplicates revealing grace. It should be a frequent prayer, "Search me, O Lord, and know my heart; prove me, and know my ways; and see if there be any wicked way in me."

3. "O send out Your light and Your truth; let them lead me, let them bring me to Your holy hill, and to Your tabernacles." Left to ourselves, we are in darkness, and we surely stray. Conscious of need and guidance, the disconsolate Psalmist prays for heavenly aid, and that light from above would clearly shine upon his path; and that all events in providence would be in accordance with the provisions of the everlasting covenant. Those who truly follow the Lamb shall not walk in darkness but shall have the light of life. They know that the conditions of the covenant secure their everlasting happiness, and they confidently plead that God would do to them in accordance with its terms. He prays especially that he may be restored to the joys of holy worship. He thinks not so much of the comforts and splendor of his palace, of his costly provisions, and luxurious delights—his heart is fixed on the hill of Zion and the house of God. There he had sought spiritual communion—in comparison with this, he counted other things as less than dross.

4. "Then will I go to the altar of God, to God my exceeding joy; yes, upon the harp will I praise You, O God, my God."

The essence of delight in public ordinances is the knowledge that sin is pardoned through atoning blood, and that there is free access to God through the expiating sacrifice of the dying Lamb. Then the heart swells with all the ecstasy of joy, happiness rolls in fullest tide, delight ascends to its highest pinnacle. God thus realized as reconciled, is exceeding bliss. The cup overflows. The bliss exceeds all bounds. Every faculty and every power is awakened to sing praise. Rapturous is the theme, when the soul intelligently sings, O God, You are my God!

5. "Why are you cast down, O my soul? and why are you disturbed within me? Hope in God; for I shall yet praise Him, who is the health of my countenance and my God."

To him who can call God his own God, no cause of anxiety remains. He can trample all fears and doubts beneath his feet. He can see clearly by the eye of hope the blissful prospect of deliverance.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 11, 2006, 07:48:04 PM »

Psalm 44

The Church is here exhibited as in the depths of grievous trouble. But faith reviews the mercies of past days before it bewails present sufferings. Confidence in God is then professed, and prayer pleads with fervent zeal.

1, 2, 3. "O God, we have heard it with our own ears—our ancestors have told us of all you did in other days, in days long ago: You drove out the pagan nations and gave all the land to our ancestors; you crushed their enemies, setting our ancestors free. They did not conquer the land with their swords; it was not their own strength that gave them victory. It was by your mighty power that they succeeded; it was because you favored them and smiled on them."

The study of God's dealings with His people sweetly quickens faith. What strength is gained by pondering the subjugation of the heathen tribes, the victorious march of Israel's hosts, and their grand triumphs over all foes! But, did this conquest arise from their own might? Their own sword was weak to conquer, their own arm was powerless to save. The might of Jehovah was their prowess, the favor of the Lord was their prevalence. The Lord fought for them, and they were invincible.

Individual believers should constantly review their Ebenezers. A marvelous work has been transacted in their souls. Mighty foes have fought against them. Weak has been their own strength; yet they have prevailed. It is the Lord who has upheld and strengthened them, and caused their enemies to flee. Grace begins; grace carries on; grace will complete the work of deliverance and salvation.

4. "You are my King, O God; command deliverances for Jacob."

The believer claims aid as a subject of the Lord of Hosts. You are my King; Your scepter is omnipotence. Your word goes forth with absolute power. Resistance is vain. Speak, then, one word, and victory ensues.

5. "Through You will we push down our enemies; through Your name will we tread them under who rise up against us."

Who can resist when God comes forth to help? He is a horn of salvation. Creatures thus armed are terrible in fight; so the believer advances to sure conquest. Striding onward in the name of the Lord, he tramples down opposing enemies. Thus aided he will bruise Satan under his feet shortly.

6, 7, 8. "I do not trust my bow; I do not count on my sword to save me. It is you who gives us victory over our enemies; it is you who humbles those who hate us. O God, we give glory to you all day long and constantly praise your name.

Interlude"

When the Holy Spirit reveals to us our own weakness, and nothingness, and sinfulness, all self-confidence is utterly destroyed; our best strength is feebleness. To trust in SELF is to lean on a rotten plank.

But still we are invincible, and utter confusion must overwhelm all adversaries. Let, then, every moment of each day testify our unwavering confidence, and our happy assurance that heavenly protection will never fail. Let praise on earth begin, even the praise which shall never end.

9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14. "But You have cast off, and put us to shame; and go not forth with our armies. You make us to turn back from the enemy; and those who hate us spoil for themselves. You have given us like sheep appointed for food; and have scattered us among the heathen. You sell Your people for nothing, and do not increase Your wealth by their price. You make us a reproach to our neighbors, a scorn and a derision to those who are round about us. You make us a byword among the heathen, a shaking of the head among the people."

In varied and most graphic terms the sufferings of the godly are here depicted. Trouble is a needful path. The discipline corrects many budding evils, lops off the growths of pride, self-confidence, and self-righteousness, leads to the healthy valley of humiliation, and fits for the inheritance of the saints in light. Hence we must, through much tribulation, enter into the kingdom of heaven.

In the furnace of these trials the mourner is prone to write bitter things against himself, and to draw fears of God's desertion. But let patience have its perfect work; our fathers in the faith have trodden this path before us. Observe the great multitude, which no man can number, of all nations, and kindreds, and people, and tongues, who stand before the throne and before the Lamb, clothed with white robes, and palms in their hands. These are those who came out of great tribulation, and have washed their robes, and made them white in the blood of the Lamb. Good Lord, purge us, and we shall be clean; wash us, and we shall be whiter than snow.

15, 16. "My confusion is continually before me, and the shame of my face has covered me, for the voice of him that reproaches and blasphemes; by reason of the enemy and avenger."

Enmity is placed between the diverse children of light and darkness. The ungodly vent their hate in torrents of reproach. These shafts inflict most grievous wounds. The downcast look, the heaving breast, bear testimony to the inward pain.

17, 18, 19. "All this has happened despite our loyalty to you. We have not violated your covenant. Our hearts have not deserted you. We have not strayed from your path. Yet you have crushed us in the desert. You have covered us with darkness and death."

Faith may be sorely tried, but still its constancy remains. The tree yet lives, though wintry blasts disrobe it. In all distress the mind adheres to God. The pledged allegiance is not broken; and the vows of love and service are most diligently kept. The heart continues its covenanted affections, and the feet turn not from the narrow way of life. There is no faltering even in the extremity of misery. The seed of the old serpent will not relax in cruelty and venom, and death in many shapes may threaten, yet Christian principles will triumph. Prison-cells have sounded with the voice of trust, and martyrs at the stake have smiled amid their agonies.

20, 21. "If we have forgotten the name of our God, or stretched out our hands to a strange god; shall not God search this out? for He knows the secrets of the heart."

The heart is kept steadfast, when persecution is most hot, by the reflection that God's eye watches each movement. "How shall I do this great wickedness and sin against God?" is a sure check when tempted to seek help from other than our God. "You, God, see me" is a thought which braces the loins and brings needful strength.

22. "Yes, for Your sake are we killed all the day long; we are counted as sheep for the slaughter."

Persecution and oppression are the heritage of the Lord's followers in every age. Those who hate the Lord will not have kindlier feelings towards His devoted flock. Since the day when righteous Abel fell by his brother's hand, the same persecuting spirit has not ceased its cruel work. Alas! what scenes of malignant enmity has this earth witnessed; what cries of misery have ascended from the tortured in gloomy dungeons and in open martyrdom! If the same opportunities were given today, the same cruelties would be re-enacted.

Paul, writing by the Spirit's guidance, warns that the portrait which this verse exhibits will represent the persecuted flock until the end of time. But encouragement is added. Vain the sword, the stake, the prison, and all the train of multitudinous barbarities. "In all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us." The inward joy exceeds all outward pain. While the flesh quivers, the spirit sings, None but Jesus." A chariot of agony conveys the happy sufferers to fullness of joy and pleasures at God's right hand forevermore.

23, 24, 25, 26. "Awake, why do You sleep, O Lord? arise, cast us not off forever. Why do You hide Your face, and forget our affliction and our oppression? For our soul is bowed down to the dust; our belly cleaves to the earth. Arise for our help, and redeem us, for Your mercies' sake."

The reality of the misery is not denied. Appearances seem to justify the apprehension that God's eye no longer rests on the oppressed. But still faith lives, and grows bolder in wrestling importunity. It will not let God go. Its cries are redoubled for early support. No merit is pleaded—no, all unworthiness is allowed. Deliverance is implored, but only on the ground that God is rich in mercy. In the lowest depths faith looks up to God, as the Father of all mercies, as delighting in mercy, whose mercy endures forever, and the cry ascends, "Send help according to the multitude of Your tender mercies." Happy are those who boldly urge the prevailing plea, "Redeem us for Your mercies' sake."

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 12, 2006, 10:47:25 AM »

Psalm 45

This hymn is fitly termed a song of loves. It is a prelude to the Song of songs. The spiritual Bridegroom is rapturously commended. The Spouse is shown in lovely features. The extension of Christ's kingdom, and due praise is promised.

1. "My heart is inditing a good matter; I speak of the things which I have made concerning the king; my tongue is the pen of a ready writer."

One object ever sits supreme in the believer's heart. Christ is the noble theme ur literature is public domain—use it in any way you desire.
No which claims his fervent commendation. Praises break forth as water bubbling from a heated caldron. They cannot be repressed. When Jesus is thus the subject in all the majesty and glory of His kingly office, the fluency cannot be checked. As a skilled writer quickly moves his pen, so the believer's tongue is prompt and ready to express due praise. Boundless is the subject, commensurate is the utterance.

2. "You are the most handsome of all. Gracious words stream from your lips. God himself has blessed you forever."

The Church, taught by the Spirit, warmly cries, "Behold you are beautiful, my love; behold you are beautiful." Christ is indeed the chief among ten thousand, the altogether lovely One. What eloquence can show His beauty? He is the brightness of His Father's glory, the express image of His person. Every charm which wins admiring gaze dwelt resplendently in Him. Wisdom in the highest flowed from His lips, and such power attended His words that the blessing of enlightening grace and saving impression touched His hearers.

3, 4. "Put on your sword, O mighty warrior! You are so glorious, so majestic! In your majesty, ride out to victory, defending truth, humility, and justice. Go forth to perform awe-inspiring deeds!"

Faith in prophetic terms calls on the Lord to equip Himself for glorious triumphs, and to ascend the chariot of His majestic course. He is most mighty. Who can withstand Him? His weapons secure prosperous result. His truth lays error low in the dust of shame. His meekness sweetly allures sinners to receive Him. His righteousness conceals all guilt, and is a glorious robe for all who surrender to His sway. Who can contemplate without awe the exploits of His matchless might? Let our souls mark and tremble and adore.

5. "Your arrows are sharp in the heart of the king's enemies; whereby the people fall under You."

Sharp indeed are the arrows of conviction, when directed by the Spirit. The contrite sinner feels the grievous wound, and humbly mourns his miserable state. He who inflicts the wound alone can cure. The blood alone can ease the rankling misery.

6, 7. "Your throne, O God, is forever and ever; the scepter of Your kingdom is a right scepter. You love righteousness and hate wickedness; therefore God, Your God, has anointed You with the oil of gladness above Your fellows."

The glorious truth that Jesus is eternal God is here proclaimed. The Spirit speaks from heaven, and His voice addresses Him as God. His essential Deity is the foundation of salvation. This gives infinite efficacy to His atoning blood, indisputable perfection to His justifying righteousness, and enables Him to satisfy the claims of every attribute of Jehovah. Let the true believer constantly address Him, my Lord and my God. His throne is forever established, and His scepter rules over all, on principles most just and equitable. Righteousness is the government of His subjects. Holiness is happiness. Therefore happiness is the atmosphere of His happy kingdom. God gives the spirit of joy without measure unto the King, and His blessed subjects are joint-heirs with Him of all the gifts of righteousness and grace.

8, 9. "All Your garments smell of myrrh, and aloes, and cassia, out of the ivory palaces, whereby they have made You glad. Kings' daughters were among Your honorable women; upon Your right hand stood the queen in gold of Ophir."

The image of royal pre-eminence is still continued. The King is pictured as coming forth from his beautiful palace arrayed in all the splendor of regal attire. The perfumes of his robes spread fragrance around. Upon his right hand is the Queen, the type of His believing people, arrayed in the splendor of the purest gold, the figure of that glorious righteousness which He bestows. The allegoric picture adds a circle of attendants to complete the group. No special lesson is conveyed by this company. But ardent feeling cannot be restrained that we may have a place in this gathering, and pay homage to the King in His beauty.

10, 11. "Listen, O daughter, and consider, and incline your ear; forget also your own people, and your father's house; so shall the King greatly desire your beauty; for He is your Lord; and worship Him."

The Holy Spirit, speaking from heaven, invites attention to His words. It is sad that such exhortation should be needed. It is more sad that it should ever issue forth in vain. Not only should the ears be open, but the heart should diligently ponder. Words from above should be a perpetual feast. The Spirit here exhorts the bride to cast away remembrance of her first estate, the home of her birth and her native companions. By nature we are born in sin—the children of wrath, the inheritors of corrupt affections, the companions of aliens and outcasts. When the Spirit reveals Jesus, all tenderness and love, a marvelous change ensues, all things are counted less than dross in comparison of Him. In His loveliness we become lovely. Our cry is, You are our Lord—we love, we worship, and adore.

12. "And the daughter of Tyre shall be there with a gift; even the rich among the people shall entreat your favor."

It sometimes happens that those who receive honor from the Lord receive honor from men also. There is an inward recognition that respect is due to them and outward reverence is duly paid.

13. "The King's daughter is all glorious within; her clothing is of wrought gold."

This is a lovely picture of the true believer. His inward state is glorious. He is adorned with every grace, and grace is the seed of glory. The Spirit, by His power, rules throughout the inward man, and implants faith, and hope, and love, and every holy principle, affection, and desire. All that is vile, corrupt, base, and earthly, is cast out; that which is sown is glory in the bud, and soon will be glory in full flower.

But, though thus glorious, the believer cannot inherit glory, unless every sinful spot is hidden. Christ works for His people a righteousness which He imputes. It is His perfect obedience with which He invests His every member. It is pure, and perfect, and without one stain of blemish. Wrought gold depicts it. Brightly they shine on whom it is bestowed.

14, 15. "She shall be brought to the King in clothing of needlework; the virgins, her companions that follow her, shall be brought to You. With gladness and rejoicing shall they be brought; they shall enter into the King's palace."

The bridal allegory is continued. The bride is seen in clothing beautified by art's elaborate skill. Attendant maidens swell the procession. All sounds of joy give notice of the glad approach. The royal residence is reached, and gates are opened to give welcome.

The happy emblems aptly picture the triumphant scene, when the marriage of the Lamb shall have come, and His wife shall have made herself ready. Let all who love the Lord, and have in faith and truth devoted themselves to Him, rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory. The day is coming when they shall be publicly recognized, and, clad in the perfect robe of righteousness, they shall enter heaven with all manifestations of joy and pure delight. With such bright prospects who will not sing, We bless You, we praise You, we adore You, O Lord, our God?

16. "Your sons will become kings like their father. You will make them rulers over many lands."

Scripture is the exceeding joy of faith, because of the enchanting pictures which in ever-varying form it presents. We have seen the widespread family of the redeemed. In every climate, in every age, they live and flourish. High, also, is their dignity. Wherever they appear they excel as princes. They rule over sin and all the poor attractions of the world, while others yield, and toil as slaves beneath the lash of Satan.

17. "I will make Your name to be remembered in all generations; therefore shall the people praise You forever and ever."

It is the duty of the Church—it is, also, her most happy work—to celebrate the praises of the Lord, and to tell aloud of His love and goodness, of His majesty and glory. Thus, from age to age, and in earth's utmost range, the name of Jesus is magnified and glorified. Bless the Lord, O my soul, and let all saints prolong the song of thankful praise!

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 12, 2006, 10:50:19 AM »

Psalm 46

God's near protection is a stronghold against all fear. The wonders of His mighty hand should excite terror in His foes, and confidence in His people.

1. "God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble."

Such is the boast of all the sons of faith. Their path is through a land of trouble. Their bark is tossed by raging billows. Their foes are many from within and from without. They flee to God, and are secure to God who is forever near. How safe are they who in this refuge dwell; how strong are they, whose strength is God

2, 3. "Therefore will not we fear, though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea; though the waters thereof roar and be troubled, though the mountains shake with the swelling thereof."

Tremendous images here show all nature in commotion. Ocean roars, and is agitated from its lowest depths. Mountains tremble from the lashing of the waves; their heads submerged no longer show their peaks. The scene is earth in the extremity of confusion. We are here taught to view the heart tossed and disturbed by all the violence of troubles—they break like mighty billows, threatening to destroy; but no fears prevail. Amid convulsing elements there is the calmness of serene repose.

4. "There is a river, the streams whereof shall make glad the city of God, the holy place of the tabernacles of the Most High."

As a river flowing through a city spreads gladness all around, as the refreshing streams bring plenty, and cause health to smile, so the presence of God is constant joy and peace to the believing heart. This heart is the abode of God—the place where He holds dwelling, and manifests His presence. So fears cannot approach, and gladness holds its constant reign.

5. "God is in the midst of her; she shall not be moved; God shall help her, and that right early."

How blessed is the state, when God will not withdraw. No trouble can give real alarm. No apprehensions agitate. God will give early help, and His help is perfect peace.

6, 7. "The heathen raged, the kingdoms were moved. He uttered His voice, the earth melted. The Lord of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge."

What though mighty powers, with mighty rage, muster their armies; what though extensive kingdoms are in commotion, and all appearances threaten destruction—it gives the Lord no trouble to defeat the adversaries. He only speaks the word, and they sink low in ruin. His voice annihilates, and they disappear as snow when melted by the sun.

The believer gives no place to fear. If armies are all arrayed against him, the Lord of hosts is on his side. He who upheld the fathers of the Church still lives. His covenant of old is verity and truth. He will perform the oath to Abraham, and the promise to Jacob. If we are Christ's, then are we Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

8, 9. "Come, behold the works of the Lord, what desolations He has made in the earth. He makes wars to cease to the end of the earth; He breaks the bow, and cuts the spear in sunder; he burns the chariot in the fire."

Our minds are prone to disregard the mighty workings of the Lord. His hand is ever doing wonders, which we fail to notice. But it is our wisdom to observe how He manifests His interposing power to make desolate the regions of His foes. Whatever be the hostile preparations and the stores of ammunition, He can bring all to nothing.

10, 11. "Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth. The Lord of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge."

Let, then, all disturbing thoughts be banished. Let tranquil patience exert calm sway. God will be manifest as supreme sovereign, curbing the heathen's rage, and exercising unlimited control throughout the earth. Let all His people rejoice evermore, and loudly sing, from realizing hearts, "The Lord of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge!"

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 12, 2006, 10:52:39 AM »

Psalm 47

A view is presented of the kingdom of Christ most gloriously established, and universal praises are evoked.

1, 2. "O clap your hands, all you people; shout to God with the voice of triumph. For the Lord most High is awesome; He is a great King over all the earth."

A note of rapturous prediction pervades this hymn. The day of glory is anticipated, when angels' voices shall proclaim that the kingdoms of this world have become the kingdoms of our God, and of His Christ, and He shall reign forever and ever. The word is now verified, "In You shall all the families of the earth be blessed." The Jewish Church shall expand her arms to embrace the called of the Gentiles—and they are received as fellow-heirs, and of the same body, and partakers of His promise in Christ. The Lord is magnified in all His power and majesty—the terribleness of His vengeance over all who yielded not obedience to His sway is dreadfully displayed—and on His head are crowns of supremacy over all the earth. Oh! day of gladness, and unspeakable delight! The happy subjects of these joyful realms are stirred up to show their ecstasy by every sign. We, also, in prospect of such happiness, should shout our praises and proclaim our triumph.

3, 4. "He shall subdue the people under us, and the nations under our feet. He shall choose our inheritance for us, the excellency of Jacob whom He loved."

Many and mighty were the enemies of Christ's kingdom—long and fierce was the conflict. At times the ungodly seemed to prevail, and the palm of victory seemed to be in their hands. But now Christ is gloriously triumphant. His foes all lick the dust; the feet of His people trample upon the subjugated hosts.

The division of Canaan among the tribes was proof of His providential care. The same care still guards all temporal matters for us. As Jacob excelled Esau in his inherited blessings, so Christ's people inherit all good things—things present and things to come. Christ loves them with an everlasting love; He loves them and rejoices over them to do them good.

5, 6, 7. "God is gone up with a shout, the Lord with the sound of a trumpet. Sing praises to God, sing praises; sing praises to our King, sing praises. For God is the King of all the earth; sing praises with understanding."

Christ is now exhibited in another aspect of His glory, that thanksgiving may be more fervently awakened. He is presented to the eye of faith as ascending to the heaven of heavens, to take His seat on the right hand of the Majesty of high. Attending angels shout, and welcoming hosts re-echo the glad sound. Are conquerors thus welcomed when they return in triumph—and shall not all tokens of joy sound the praises of Jesus returning from His glorious victory?

Let us, for whom the victory is achieved, sing praises; yes, sing praises with understanding. Let us thoroughly discern the causes of our joy. It is because Jesus has vanquished our every foe; has gloriously accomplished our full redemption—has finished the undertaken work, and has saved us with an everlasting salvation. Let us ponder the work until its length and breadth be fully grasped; and let every discovery stir us up to sing praises with understanding.

8, 9. "God reigns over the heathen; God sits upon the throne of His holiness. The princes of the people are gathered together, even the people of the God of Abraham; for the kings of the earth belong to God; He is greatly exalted."

Joy would ever brighten in the dwellings of the righteous, if the truth were always before their eyes, that God sits supreme upon the throne of His holiness. The kings of the earth are mighty, but all their power is derived from Him. As shields they give protection, but His hand is over all. Greatly He is exalted. Let Him be greatly extolled. Let us sing praises, sing praises, with understanding.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 12, 2006, 10:55:13 AM »

Psalm 48

The beauty of Jerusalem is a picture of the beauty of the Church. God's favor to it foreshadows His favor to His people in all ages.

1, 2, 3. "Great is the Lord, and greatly to be praised in the city of our God, in the mountain of His holiness. Beautiful for situation, the joy of the whole earth, is Mount Zion, on the sides of the north, the city of the great King. God is known in her palaces for a refuge."

Great indeed is the Lord. In His power, His love, His dealings, His every attribute, His greatness is unspeakable. In every faculty of mind and body, at every period of our time, His praise should be our glad employ. As Jerusalem stands preeminent above all the abodes of earth in charms of climate and loveliness of local beauty—as admiration proclaims Mount Zion to be the joy of the whole earth, so God's people surpass in every excellency.

The Spirit, in a preceding hymn, had depicted the Church as all-glorious within, and as arrayed in clothing of wrought gold. Her inward beauty is the grace so plentifully bestowed by His hand. Her outward glory is the robe of righteousness with which she is invested by her Lord. Zion's royal residents dwelt in security. If any foe frightened them, they fled to the Lord as a sure refuge, and were in safety.

4, 5, 6. "For, lo, the kings were assembled, they passed by together. They saw it, and so they marveled; they were troubled, and hurried away. Fear took hold upon them there, and pain, as of a woman in travail."

Jerusalem was often threatened by mighty potentates, and with all their power; but vain were their assembled troops. They were compelled in shame and distress to seek security in flight.

Thus, also, the legions of darkness have encamped around God's people. The arch-enemy, their malicious leader, has urged them forward. But the city of the righteous has been impregnable. Inglorious flight has dispersed all foes, and victory has signalized the Church.

7. "You break the ships of Tarshish with an east wind."

Another image here depicts the utter ruin of the Church's foes. How weak are ships to withstand the fury of the raging wind! It raises huge billows to overwhelm them. It dashes them resistless against the iron rocks. Thus weak are all adversaries against the might of God.

8. "As we have heard, so have we seen in the city of the Lord of hosts, in the city of our God; God will establish it forever."

Many are the promises and predictions that God will uphold His people. Many realizations are before us to confirm our faith. We have every assurance that no destruction shall extinguish the true Church.

9, 10. "We have thought of Your lovingkindness, O God, in the midst of Your temple. According to Your name, O God, so is Your praise to the ends of the earth; Your right hand is full of righteousness."

Troubles should not detain from public ordinances. In the holy services we should be taught that our God is love. Not only are all His dealings full of lovingkindness, they are altogether righteous. To God's people His love is righteous, and His righteousness is love. Therefore no fear should harass or disturb.

11, 12, 13, 14. "Let Mount Zion rejoice, let the daughters of Judah be glad because of Your judgments. Walk about Zion, and go round about her; count the towers. Mark well her bulwarks, consider her palaces, that you may tell it to the generation following. For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even unto death."

God's people have indeed cause for constant joy. On every occasion He appears on their behalf. It is wisdom fully to contemplate the Church. Behold her type, the city upon Zion's hill. Her fortifications render her impregnable. As her walls and towers protect her, so God defends His people with all His attributes and all His might. Let us realize, also, that we have covenant property in God. He is our own God, and never will cease to be so. While life lasts, He will lead in the way everlasting, and then receive us to be with Him forever.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 12, 2006, 10:58:51 AM »

Psalm 49

The truths of the Bible call for universal heeding. The mysteries will repay all study. Natural men, in their best state, are immeasurably inferior to the people of God.

1, 2. "Hear this, all you people; give ear, all you inhabitants of the world; both low and high, rich and poor, together."

The revelation of God alike concerns the whole family of man. Wherever man lives, he lives defiled by sin, and justly exposed to wrath. As the malady is one, so too is the remedy. All need it; to all it is proclaimed in the Gospel. What madness can be greater than to close our ears to the precious tidings! The low are raised by it; the high are stripped of their lofty looks. The rich are ennobled by it with the true riches; the poor obtain the true treasure.

3, 4. "My mouth shall speak of wisdom; and the meditation of my heart shall be of understanding. I will incline my ear to a parable; I will open my dark saying upon the harp."

The treasures of true wisdom are folded up in God's Word. There He, who is the wise, the all wise, the only wise, declares His mind and will. The Bible student will read, and will declare. His heart will meditate, but not concerning foolish trifles. Solid truths will be the food of his thoughts. He will diligently listen to the mysteries of redemption, shadowed out in great variety of images; and his melody will be concerning hidden wonders.

5. "There is no need to fear when times of trouble come, when enemies are surrounding me."

Countless are the exhortations to the believer never to give place to fear. His constant response should be, I will trust and not be afraid. Days of evil will often overshadow him; reminiscences of past iniquity may leave impressions on the mind, deep as the prints of the heels upon a soft or sandy path. In this there may be ground of humiliation, but there is no cause for misapprehension. The covenant of peace stands sure, and never can be broken. The reconciliation is forever made; the promise will be realized; goodness and mercy shall follow him all the days of his life, and he shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

6, 7, 8, 9. "Those who trust in their wealth, and boast themselves in the multitude of their riches; none of them can by any means redeem his brother, nor give to God a ransom for him; (for the redemption of their soul is precious, and it ceases forever;) that he should still live forever, and not see corruption."

The riches of this world are eagerly sought by natural men. They delight in the enjoyments which are thus purchased, and the homage and adulation which are thus won. It is their pleasure to magnify themselves in their apparent distinction above their fellows. But what is their real value when viewed in spiritual light? They are light as chaff—they are worthless as the vilest dross. How can riches deliver a sinner from the grasp of death? How can they prolong his days on earth, or raise from the corruption of the grave?

Shall earthly riches be presented to God as an equivalent for the forfeited soul—shall they be offered as a redeeming price? Is there satisfaction in them to the outraged attributes of God? Can they avail to mitigate merited wrath? The very thought is folly. Man in the utmost grandeur of outward possession is utterly without avail to redeem his brother.

A glorious parenthesis is here inserted. It casts a ray of joy over a saddening truth. It speaks of redemption, and tells us that it requires vast price. Here the blessed Gospel brightly shines. We bless our dying Jesus, our curse-removing Lord, our death-enduring Substitute, that He has accomplished redemption. It was bought by a precious price—even by the price of His own blood—which had infinite efficacy because of His essential deity. It out-valued all the silver and the gold which earth ever produced. It outweighed all treasures. By it every attribute of God is satisfied, and magnified, and glorified. Let us, also, be satisfied with it. This ransom has no need of gradual progress. By the one death of Jesus it is forever secured. It needs no repetition. By His one offering once made, He has perfected forever those who are sanctified.

10. "For He sees that wise men die, likewise the fool and the brutish person perish, and leave their wealth to others."

It is an obvious fact, compelling universal acquiescence, that mental faculties cannot secure length of days. Men of the shrewdest intellect move onward to the grave. By their side men lie who are least endowed. Alike they might have been enriched with large abundance of this world's wealth. But their feeble hands cannot retain the grasp. They cannot take their treasure with them. Other inheritors must succeed and count the riches as their own.

11. "Their inward thought is, that their houses shall continue forever, and their dwelling places to all generations; they call their lands after their own names."

They seem to dream of earthly immortality. They imagine perpetuity of their names. They inscribe their titles on their stately homes, or on their wide possessions.

12, 13. "Nevertheless, man being in honor abides not; he is like the beasts that perish. This their way is their folly; yet their posterity approve their sayings."

As riches are no protection from the grave, neither do honors bring deliverance. Titles may be grand, distinctions may be brilliant, yet the possessors soon lie low. Mortality is common to them, even as it is to all the herds of animal creation. Their forgetfulness of short-lived continuance is justly termed their folly. But it is incredible, that their descendants tread the same senseless path. They are not instructed by the ignorance of their predecessors—they rather commend their seeming wisdom.

14. "Like sheep they are laid in the grave; death shall feed on them; and the upright shall have dominion over them in the morning; and their beauty shall consume in the grave from their dwelling."

The titled and the wealthy worldlings do not have stronger tenure of life than the flocks of the meadows. Death claims them as its prey, and feeds upon their lifeless bodies—from their stately halls they must be carried to mingle with corruption. The morning of the resurrection comes—then the poor believer, however scorned in his passage through life, shall shine in manifested superiority, and shall put on the beautiful robes of everlasting glory.

15. "But God will redeem my soul from the power of the grave; for He shall receive me."

The believer knows his foundation of perpetual joy. It is true that his body must taste corruption, and lie for a little season in the grave; but he knows that God who has redeemed his soul, by the precious blood of His dearly-beloved Son, will also soon raise his body from the transient tenure of the grave. The redeemed soul shall again inhabit a redeemed body. The blessed consummation shall be complete. The glorified body and the glorified soul shall constitute the glorified man. Thus perfect he shall be upraised to the palace of the King of kings, and shall reign in those bright realms into which death shall never enter.

16, 17, 18, 19, 20. "So don't be dismayed when the wicked grow rich, and their homes become ever more splendid. For when they die, they carry nothing with them. Their wealth will not follow them into the grave. In this life they consider themselves fortunate, and the world loudly applauds their success. But they will die like all others before them and never again see the light of day. People who boast of their wealth don't understand that they will die like the animals."

Established truths are here repeated. The believer is exhorted to keep his faith from wavering, when he sees prosperity gilding the path of the worldling. The brevity of all mortal condition should check all temptation to be staggered by its prosperity. Worldlings may hold dazzling superabundance; but how long can they call these things their own? They must leave all behind; they can carry nothing with them. Their prosperity might excite adulation and the homage of fellow-mortals. But departure must take place—even to eternal wretchedness—even to blackness of darkness forever. The cause of this misery is the lack of saving knowledge. There is ignorance of self, of sin, of God, of Christ, of redemption, of salvation. O Lord, open our eyes, give us understanding to know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 12, 2006, 11:14:35 AM »

Psalm 50

We have in this Psalm a revelation of glorious truth. The final judgment is announced in dreadful sublimity. Formalists are rebuked, and warned of the worthlessness of dependence on the Law. In conclusion we have directions as to true worship.

1, 2. "The mighty God, even the Lord, has spoken, and called the earth, from the rising of the sun to its going down. Out of Zion, the perfection of beauty, God has shined."

May faith be granted that we may realize the scene. The great white throne is set. The mighty God is seated on His sovereign tribunal. Before Him all who have ever breathed the breath of life are summoned to appear. From all the regions of earth—from every quarter of the globe—the inhabitants are called. We are thus mercifully forewarned. We must take our station before the Judge of all mankind. Let us see to it that we are prepared to meet Him.

To prepare us for the great day, God has revealed to us all Gospel truth. Out of Zion He has shined. We have not been called to Mount Sinai, where the fiery law flowed, amid all the terrors of lightning, and thunder, and appalling clang. We have been invited to listen to the silver notes of the sweet Gospel. God has erected on earth His Church, the perfection of beauty. Here all grace and mercy shine. Here blood is presented to cleanse from all sin; a righteousness to cover all iniquity; and the plea is presented, Christ died for pardon at the judgment-bar and full admission to the glories of heaven. From this throne of Zion let us draw near to meet the final judgment.

3, 4, 5, 6. "Our God shall come, and shall not keep silent; a fire shall devour before Him, and it shall be very tempestuous round about Him. He shall call to the heavens from above, and to the earth, that He may judge His people. Gather My saints together unto Me; those that have made a covenant with Me by sacrifice. And the heavens shall declare His righteousness; for God Himself is judge."

We return to the judgment-seat. As when God gave the law dreadful terrors surrounded Him, so when He comes to execute judgment all majesty shall be displayed. His irresistible voice shall ring through universal nature. All elements shall send forth the dead whom they contained. But now His professing people are specially named. But all professors are not real children. All who are of the Church are not the Church. Have we become His through the blood of the everlasting covenant? Have we made fellowship with Him through the true Sacrifice, even the Victim who died at Calvary? If so, let us joyfully exclaim, He who shall come to institute judgment is our God, and His right hand is full of righteousness.

7. "Hear, O My people, and I will speak; O Israel, and I will testify against you; I am God, even your God."

How tenderly this warning intervenes! God's people are disposed to settle on their lees, to slumber on the pillow of self-confidence, to drink the noxious goblet of carnal security. Therefore God, in the plenitude of His mercy, would rouse them. He beseeches them to listen to His gracious admonition. He will not hide from them their grievous faults, and He prefaces His reasonings with them by the loving assurance, that He who chides is God, even your God. O Lord, give us the hearing ear.

8-13. "I have no complaint about your sacrifices or the burnt offerings you constantly bring to my altar. But I want no more bulls from your barns; I want no more goats from your pens. For all the animals of the forest are mine, and I own the cattle on a thousand hills. Every bird of the mountains and all the animals of the field belong to me. If I were hungry, I would not mention it to you, for all the world is mine and everything in it. I don't need the bulls you sacrifice; I don't need the blood of goats."

How vain is all dependence on external service! As aids to faith all outward rites are valuable, but it is the vanity of vanities to dream that by such observance we make God our debtor. The universe and all which the universe contains is His created property. In all our offerings we only bring Him what is His own. Let us never fancy that there is merit in most costly rites. When we bring our best to Him we give no satisfaction to His justice, or make atonement to His outraged Law. In Christ—in Christ alone—satisfaction resides. Let us bring Him always in the arms of our faith, and plead for mercy only for His sake.

14. "Offer unto God thanksgiving; and pay your vows unto the Most High."

There is an offering in which God delights—the offering of the calves of our lips—the praises of devoted hearts. Let thanks, like incense, ever reach the courts of heaven. There is a grateful fragrance which He will never scorn. When we entered into covenant with God in Christ we vowed to present unto Him ourselves, our souls and bodies, to be a reasonable, holy, lively sacrifice. How happy is it to redeem this vow.

15. "And call upon me in the day of trouble; I will deliver you, and you shall glorify Me."

Amid truths of dreadful grandeur this bright gem seems unexpectedly to shine. Its value is unspeakable. Its comfort to believers in all ages passes knowledge. Wondrous is the word, "Whoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved." The text before us gives special illustration. Many are the believer's troubles—they are necessary, and the chastening is not withheld. But an easy and ready remedy is prescribed. His strength may so fail that he cannot stir. But he can always call, and never shall he call in vain. His call shall bring his God to his aid; and His hand shall bring deliverance. Light shall spring up out of darkness. It shall be ever true, "This poor man cried, and the Lord heard him and delivered him out of all his trouble." God's glory shall be the outcome; increasing praises shall break from the delivered heart.

16, 17. "But God says to the wicked, What have you to do to declare My statutes, or that you should take My covenant in your mouth? seeing you hate instruction, and cast My words behind you."

The scene changes. Loving words are not now heard. The wicked, the gross transgressors, those whose steps are in the way of open offense, are addressed. God expostulates with such, if perhaps they will repent and turn in deep humility to Him. Such is the deceitfulness of the unregenerate man that it will be secure in profession of covenant relationship to God, while the Lord of grace is really hated, and all its saving truths are contemptuously rejected.

18. "When you saw a thief, then you consented with him, and have been partaker with adulterers."

An dreadful picture is exhibited of the extremity of iniquity into which carnal men will rush. They will practice the vilest dishonesty, and lie in the filth of the grossest uncleanness. Yet God in His mercy follows them with remonstrance, "Turn, turn, why will you die?"

19, 20, 21. "You give your mouth to evil, and your tongue frames deceit. You sit and speak against your brother; you slander your own mother's son. You have done these things, and I kept silence; you thought that I was altogether like you; but I will reprove you, and set them in order before your eyes."

The tongue, which betrays the inmost working of the heart, pours out torrents of evil and deceit. Even natural affection expires, and slanders assail the sons who hang on the same mother's breast. God shows abundance of patience; but deluded sinners misinterpret His gracious character. Because wrath is restrained, the impious thought is cherished, that the evil which they love and practice is not abomination in God's sight. But the day comes when God's patience can endure no more. Their wicked deeds, in all their enormities, shall confront the evil—all the circumstances shall stare them in their face; no extenuation can cloak the guilt which must be confessed to uttermost confusion.

22. "Now consider this, you who forget God, lest I tear you in pieces, and there be none to deliver."

Tender grace exhorts to deep thought. Let all who do not have God before them consider their dreadful state before the day of vengeance bursts upon them. Then the rejected Savior saves no more. But now Jesus stands ready to deliver from the wrath to come. To Him let us cling steadfastly.

23. "Whoever offers praises glorifies Me; and to him who orders his conversation aright I will show the salvation of God."

Precious conclusion of this wondrous Psalm! What condescension to accept our worthless praise! What godlike condescension to assure us that these praises augment His glory. Let our every breath be praise. In the paths of holiness God will be met revealing all the mercies of His Gospel. Christ will appear with uttermost salvation in His hands; and glorying in Him as full redemption, we shall boldly meet the judgment-seat.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 13, 2006, 10:29:55 AM »

Psalm 51

Of all the Psalms, this is the one, perhaps, which is most frequently interwoven in the believer's prayers and pondered in his meditations. It has been the outbreak of innumerable hearts, and has been, and still is, the wrestling cry at the mercy-seat. Repeated are the prayers for pardon of vile guilt; struggling are the cries for renewing and sanctifying grace. Professions are uttered of devotedness to God's service, and prayers are added for the Church.

1, 2. "Have mercy upon me, O God, according to Your lovingkindness; according unto the multitude of Your tender mercies, blot out my transgressions. Wash me throughly from my iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin."

In the deepest sense of guilt, prayer cries loudly for mercy. The measure of needed mercy is expressed. The measure is quite measureless. It is according to God's lovingkindness. But His love is everlasting love. It has no origin. It can have no end. It is, moreover, in accordance with the multitude of God's tender mercies. But who can count them? Infinitude is their scope. Such mercy is indeed needed; for nothing less than limitless mercy could reach the extent of the prayer for the remission of such transgressions, such iniquity, and such sin.

3. "For I acknowledge my transgressions; and my sin is ever before me."

The awakened sinner panted for relief; for grievous was the burden which oppressed him. He did not cloak his dreadful guilt—he felt it, and he confessed it. He did not strive to escape the tormenting memory. There was an appalling object ever in his sight—his fearful deeds. He is not taught of God, who is not conscious of ever-present guilt.

4. "Against You, You only, have I sinned, and done this evil in Your sight; that You might be justified when You speak, and be clear when You judge."

The real character of sin is rebellion against God. This constitutes its essence, its magnitude, its malignity. Doubtless fellow-men may be most grievously injured and outraged and afflicted. Many may be wounded; many tears may have been drawn forth, but the main evil assails God. The blow is aimed at God's supremacy.

Hence God's truth and justice are exalted to their highest pinnacles. In every threat, in every denunciation, in every execution of vengeance, homage is rendered to these essential attributes. When sin is punished, holiness is vindicated.

5. "Behold, I was shaped in iniquity; and in sin my mother conceived me."

Sin is here traced to nature's original corruption. The tree is radically corrupt. No good fruit can hang from its branches. The spring is poisoned, the waters which flow from it are polluted. When Adam yielded to the tempter's wiles, the whole line of his descendants perished in him. Sad, indeed, is our case, except redeeming grace transplants us from the ruined stock, and grafts us into the heavenly vine.

6. "Behold, You desire truth in the inward parts; and in the hidden part You shall make me to know wisdom."

When sin is deeply felt and openly confessed, conscience feels that God requires true sincerity throughout the heart. The folly of mocking God with unmeaning tears or unreal prayers is felt; and there is most earnest supplication to God to implant wisdom in the heart and soul, and to guide in the way everlasting.

7. "Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean; wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow."

Obliteration of guilt is again implored in terms fragrant with Gospel-sweetness. Faith clearly sees the purpose of sacrificial rites. It knows that the blood streaming from the dying victim foreshowed the blood of the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world. It knows that this blood is expiation perfect, entire, and forevermore; that its sprinkling removes every stain of evil, and makes the contrite believer pure as purity can be in the sight of God.

8. "Make me hear joy and gladness; that the bones which You have broken may rejoice."

The anguish of the soul under sense of God's wrath is pictured by the keenest pains of body; even by the agony of bones fractured and bruised. When healing comes, how great is the relief! Such is the transport of delight which thrills through the soul when God restores His smile, and whispers peace to the conscience. Let each mourning penitent cease not the wrestling cry, "Make me to hear joy and gladness, that the bones which You have broken may rejoice."

9. "Hide Your face from my sins, and blot out all my iniquities."

Pardon is still the foremost thought in the contrite Psalmist's mind. He supplicates it under another image. He fears lest God should keep his sins in the light of His countenance. He therefore prays that an averted look should no more have them in view. Conscious of innumerable transgressions, and feeling need of entire pardon, he beseeches that not one single offense should remain unsprinkled by the obliterating blood.

10, 11. "Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me. Do not cast me away from Your presence; and do not take Your Holy Spirit from me."

Desire of pardon is linked to earnest longing for renewing and sanctifying grace. The cleansing of the heart is the absolute work of God. It is a new creation. It is calling that into existence which no power of man could accomplish. Conscious of utter impotence, the cry struggles for creating and renewing grace. Supplication is added for continuance of God's life-giving presence, and the perpetual indwelling of the Holy Spirit.

12, 13. "Restore to me the joy of Your salvation; and uphold me with Your free Spirit; then will I teach transgressors Your ways; and sinners shall be converted to You."

Who can express the joy of realized salvation! It is heaven begun. It is the commencement of the never-ending bliss. But it may be forfeited and interrupted for a while. Allowed sin is quick to extinguish. Let instant recourse be made to prayer. Let God, who only gave and only can renew, be supplicated to restore. The effect of this reviving grace is earnest effort to call others to the ways of God, and faith in Christ. He who enjoys this gracious treasure burns with longing that others may partake.

14. "Deliver me from blood-guiltiness, O God, God of my salvation; and my tongue shall sing aloud of Your righteousness."

Remembrance of some special sin will ofttimes haunt the heart. A frightful specter will stand before the eyes. It was so now with David. The dreadful thought was present, that his abominable sin had caused a fellow-creature's death. He saw that his hands were stained with murderous spots. He must be a stranger to all peace, until sure of deliverance from this heinous guilt. With his soul, therefore, he prays that such mercy might be given unto him. The result would be sure; he would be loud in praise, proclaiming that God was a covenant-keeping God, and righteous in fulfilling His promises to forgive all sin through the atoning blood.

15, 16. "O Lord, open my lips; and my mouth shall show forth Your praise. For You do not desire sacrifice, else would I give it; You do not delight in burnt-offering."

When the grace of praise is freely poured into the heart, the power to give utterance must still be added. A channel must be opened for the stream to flow. An open lip must be desired, in addition to a full heart. Faith sees that the outward rite of sacrificial homage is not the real demand of God. Required services may not be withheld; they testify obedience. But they should do much more. They should evince the soul's entire dependence on the hidden meaning—the true Lamb of God, the all-atoning blood, the death which satisfies every violated attribute. Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes.

17. "The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and a contrite heart, O God, You will not despise."

God is a Spirit, and His eye is on a spiritual service. He does not turn with indifference from a spirit broken and crushed, and ground to powder, by the weighty hand of the accusing law. He sees the buddings of real faith, and true apprehension of the appeasing victim. He is ever ready to bind up that which is thus broken. Happy are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.

18, 19. "Do good in Your good pleasure unto Zion; build the walls of Jerusalem. Then You shall be pleased with the sacrifices of righteousness, with burnt offering, and whole burnt-offering; then they shall offer bullocks upon Your altar."

The penitent cannot conclude without embracing the whole Church in his fervent prayer; he supplicates mercy for his beloved Zion, and protection from all her foes. Safe in the loving-kindness of her God, her altars will blaze, the victims will die in countless numbers, the blood will flow in constant stream; but it will not be a mere superabundance of outward rites. In all Christ is seen. Christ is magnified. Christ is honored. Christ is All.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the