Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 06:13:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286797 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Completed and Favorite Threads
| | |-+  Psalms
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Psalms  (Read 43378 times)
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Early In The Morning I Will Praise The Lord

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2006, 08:44:08 AM »

Psalm 25

Repentance and contrition find vent in confession and prayer. May these holy exercises be the home of our souls!

1. "Unto You, O Lord, do I lift up my soul."

Sweet are the hours of communion with God. At every moment we may draw near. The way stands widely open through the rent veil. Christ's body broken and His streaming blood procure immediate access. But true prayer is not formality. It is soul-work. In it the world and all its cares and vanities are left behind. Faith spreads rejoicing wings and soars above the heaven of heavens. The man of prayer lifts up his soul.

2, 3. "O my God, I trust in You; let me not be ashamed; let not my enemies triumph over me. Yes, let none that wait on You be ashamed; let those be ashamed who transgress without cause."

It is faith's holy privilege to deal unreservedly with God; to open out its real condition; to call Him to witness that all vain confidences are renounced, and that all trust rests on Him. Such may fearlessly supplicate that no disappointments may cause shame; and that no foes may humble them. Those who lift up the soul to God will lift up the head above all the fears of men.

Faith, also, is an expansive grace. Its arms embrace all true believers. It strives that others should share its blessedness. But it well knows that shame must be the sinner's doom. There can be no excuse for sin. No cause provokes it. The sinner sins because it is his nature and his will.

4, 5, 6. "Show me Your ways, O Lord; teach me Your paths. Lead me in Your truth, and teach me; for You are the God of my salvation; on You do I wait all the day. Remember, O Lord, Your tender mercies and Your loving kindnesses; for they have been ever of old."

Faith is emboldened to ask great things from knowledge of the character and works of God. It can appeal, 'You are the God who willed and wrought salvation for me; it is Your purpose and decree to save me to the uttermost. Hence You have given Jesus for me, and me to Jesus.' It can look back to a long train of tender mercies from the earliest days. It rejoices to count them out before the Lord. It plies the argument, 'You have been very gracious. You are the same. Oh! be gracious now'; and on these cogent grounds it bases the prayer, "Show me Your ways; lead me, teach me." I am blind, and prone to err. Open my eyes clearly at each moment to discern Your will. Take my outstretched hand and guide me safely in salvation's path. All the day I need Your help, and seek it; all the day be my ready guide.

7. "Remember not the sins of my youth, nor my transgressions; according to Your mercy remember me for Your goodness' sake, O Lord."

In the case of the ungodly, sins forgotten by him are not sins forgiven. In the case of the believer, sins forgiven by God are not obliterated from his memory. The believer often reviews his course from earliest years; he reads and re-reads the annals of the past. They are dark, and stained with countless sins and countless aggravations. He is humbled to the dust. But he remembers Jesus, and God's boundless love in Him. He flees from the court of justice to the throne of grace. He pleads, nor pleads in vain, that God would deal with him in accordance with the covenant of grace.

8, 9. "The Lord is good and upright; therefore He will teach sinners in the way. He will guide the meek in judgment; and He will teach the meek His way."

When prayer pauses, faith gathers strength in meditation. It reflects that God is love, and faithfulness, and truth. It refreshes itself at this deep well of consolation. God's goodness calls; His promises assure. Therefore no sinner, coming in penitence and faith, may fear rejection. A ready welcome will be granted. The teaching Spirit will guide wisely. All who are truly humbled and thus wear the livery of the chosen flock will tread assuredly salvation's road.

10. "All the paths of the Lord are mercy and truth to such as keep His covenant and His testimonies."

May grace be ever ours to adhere closely to the everlasting covenant; to base all our hopes on Christ, its surety, in whom all its terms are fully satisfied, and who, by His Spirit, reveals its message to us. May the like grace enable us to study diligently His holy precepts, and to keep our feet most steadily in their path. Then how blessed will be our earthly course! All God's dealings with us, though sometimes dark to sense  will issue from unfailing love, and prove that His Word is immovable as the everlasting hills.

cont

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2006, 08:44:27 AM »

11. "For Your name's sake, O Lord, pardon my iniquity; for it is great."

Prayer cannot long be silent. The burden of sin will press again. It will again appear in aggravated colors. Its magnitude deepens the sense of need of pardon. It proves that there is no remedy but in free grace. It clearly sees that God's glory is His forgiveness of all sin through the blood and righteousness of Christ. It therefore descends more lowly in contrition's valley, and importunes more loudly that God would gain glory in the way of pardon. Great, indeed, is our iniquity. May we confess our miserable state, and not remit our cries, that God's glory may be great in blotting all out!

12, 13. "Who is he that fears the Lord? Him shall He teach in the way that He shall choose. His soul shall dwell at ease; and His seed shall inherit the earth."

We do not err when we discern Christ Jesus as the high and full response. In Him each grace was perfect. In His earthly course His holy reverence was supreme. He ever knew by heavenly light His appointed path. His calm serenity was never ruffled. And He looked onward to the blissful time when His seed in countless multitudes should reign undoubted heirs of earth. All His children are conformed to His image. With lowly awe they reverence their God. His fear restrains the movement of their minds. His Spirit guides their steps. Their souls are kept in perfect peace. And in a little while the full delights of the millennial reign shall cause their cup to overflow.

14. "The secret of the Lord is with those who fear Him; and He will show them His covenant."

There are heights and depths of truth in the everlasting covenant which unaided man can neither reach nor fathom. The Gospel-scheme is a wondrous volume. No eye without God's light can rightly read its pages. But to all who tremble at the Word, the enlightening Spirit comes. He opens out the hidden mysteries. He draws aside the veil and shows the secret transactions in the courts of heaven; and all the wondrous achievements of Christ's life and death. The enraptured soul sees truths which angels ponder with amazement. Who can describe the ecstasies of this knowledge? But all the pupils in this school of light have one mark; they fear the Lord.

15, 16. "My eyes are ever toward the Lord; for He shall pluck my feet out of the net. Turn to me, and have mercy upon me; for I am desolate and afflicted."

When we can realize possession of the true principles of faith, we may claim all its privileges. Faith's eye is fixed on God. It swerves not from its polar star, therefore it reaps the rich abundance of the promises. Deliverance from every snare is pledged. Therefore with eye never turning from God, the believer walks securely through a path beset with snares. As it moves onward it is constant in petition. It often feels that loneliness and trouble depress, that friends are few, and sorrows many; but it faints not. It has firm trust that God will tenderly regard; that mercy will never fail; that no billows will overwhelm true faith.

17, 18. "The troubles of my heart are enlarged; O, bring me out of my distresses. Look upon my affliction and my pain, and forgive all my sins."

The believer's day varies, as the surface of the sea. There are periods of lulling calm, then the billows swell and raise gigantic breakers. There is insight that SELF can give no help. There is the immediate cry to GOD, who alone can rescue. But while attention is implored to pains of mind and body, the deepest misery is especially remembered. There is no anguish like the sense of sin. Therefore the constant prayer, 'Forgive all my sin.' We may urge this with all boldness and all hope, for the precious blood cleanses from all sin.

19, 20. "Consider my enemies, for they are many; and they hate me with cruel hatred. O keep my soul, and deliver me; for I put my trust in You."

The believer might indeed tremble, if he went forth alone to his daily conflict; for many are his foes, and bitter their cruel hate. Nothing can soothe their vengeful hostility. No pity melts within their breasts. But the believer has omnipotent aid beside him. If foes are many, the help is infinite. The humble plea, "I trust in You," will bring all heaven to the rescue. The trusting soul will indeed be kept. "O Lord, increase our faith."

21. "Let integrity and uprightness preserve me; for I wait on You."

No grace was ever perfect but in the holy, harmless Son of God. Integrity was indeed the belt of His loins, and uprightness the sandals of His feet. But hatred of sin, and honesty of purpose, must be the inhabitants of our hearts. These graces prompt and strengthen prayer; but they are no valid grounds, claiming acceptance. For faith instantly looks from them to God, and adds, "I wait on You, from You only comes my help."

22. "Redeem Israel, O God, out of all his troubles."

We may boldly ply this heaven-taught prayer with our eyes fixed on Jesus. He is made unto us redemption from every trouble and from every sin. He has bought us as His own, with His most precious blood. He will keep us, He will bless us, as His purchased flock. Soon shall we know the full blessedness of this redemption. He will claim the purchased kingdom for His purchased flock, and they shall live and reign forever on redeemed ground, beneath the banners of redemption. Blessed Lord, hasten the time! Fully redeem Your Israel!

http://www.gracegems.org/
Our literature is public domain—use it in any way you desire.
No monetary donations accepted. "Freely you
have received, freely give." Matthew 10:8

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2006, 02:40:16 PM »

Psalm 26

Prayers, professions, and resolves are here interlinked. May the Holy Spirit draw holy lessons for us!

1. "Judge me, O Lord; for I have walked in my integrity; I have trusted also in the Lord; therefore I shall not slide."

The voice of Jesus should be here first heard. He appeals from all injustice of the courts of men to Heaven's tribunal. He could claim vindication of His cause on the firm ground that all His ways were perfect holiness. Every one that is born of Him will strive to be pure and holy, even as He is pure and holy. May our faith be strengthened by ceaseless effort and ceaseless prayer; for when our trust is firm, we shall move firmly along the slippery paths of life.

2, 3. "Examine me, O Lord, and prove me; try my mind and my heart. For your loving-kindness is before my eyes; and I have walked in Your truth."

The heart is deceitful above all things. Who can know it? Who can have full acquaintance with its intricate and devious windings? Therefore the sincere man will often pray God to come with the light of His Spirit, and the torch of His Word, to search each deep and hidden corner, that no Achan may lurk undetected. Happy the prayer which is supported by the plea, 'My eyes are ever gazing on Your wondrous love, and all my steps are set in the holy way of Your revealed truth.'

4, 5. "I do not spend time with liars or go along with hypocrites. I hate the gatherings of those who do evil, and I refuse to join in with the wicked."

There is no communion of light with darkness. There is no fellowship between righteousness and unrighteousness. The believer must come out and be separate. He must not touch the unclean thing. How rich his gain! The Lord will receive all who thus withdraw, and He will dwell in them, and walk in them. He will be their God; they shall be His people.

6. "I will wash my hands in innocence; so will I compass Your altar, O Lord."

The Temple and all its rites and all its furniture was one clear Gospel-lesson. The laver was the cleansing blood of Jesus. Constant ablutions typified the washing out of guilt. The altar, with its dying victims, streaming blood, and curling smoke, proclaimed the all-atoning sacrifice. Jesus often tarried in these courts. His eyes would rest on symbols significant of His work.

The believer, in spirit, will frequent this holy ground. Abhorring sin he seeks the laver that no stain may soil him. His happy walk is round the altar; gazing on it at each step, delighting by faith to see his dying Lord, clasping to his heart the truth, for me He died, for me His blood was shed, in Him I am completely saved.

7. "That I may publish with the voice of thanksgiving, and tell of all Your wondrous works."

Views of redemption lead to grateful love, and prompt the voice of praise. They warm the heart; they cause the lips to sing; they fill the inner cistern; and the waters overflow. There is no theme so joyful as the Lord's wonderful works. Faith strives to speak, but due utterance fails. It is far easier to count ocean's drops, than to portray the Savior's love, His worth, His righteousness, and the glories which He has purchased. But still, the more we speak, the more we feel; the more we feel, the more we speak.

8, 9, 10. "Lord, I have loved the habitation of Your house, and the place where Your glory dwells. Gather not my soul with sinners, nor my life with bloody men; in whose hands is mischief, and their right hand is full of bribes."

The sanctuary displayed God's glory. Bright rays shone forth from many symbols. The blessed Jesus loved to frequent this mystic spot. The ordinances of God were His delight. It became Him to fulfill all righteousness. This mark distinguishes His children. In public worship they joy to lift up the voice of praise. They hasten with happy step to join the assemblies in which united prayer is made.

There is an dreadful contrast. There is a bundle of tares that shall be burned. There is an assembly in which every form is sin, and every sight is unmasked ungodliness. Hell is no fiction. The very thought is horror. What must be the dreadful reality! Let the thought give power to the prayer—Oh, gather not my soul with such!

11. "But as for me, I will walk in my integrity; redeem me, and be merciful to me."

The thought of the second death gives energy to the resolve to walk with God now, that we may dwell with Him forever. The resolve is scarcely formed, but life returns. The truth appears that our best is only evil. The frightened believer flies to redeeming blood; he cries for mercy; he avows that his only hope is in the cleansing blood. His constant prayer must be, God be merciful to me a sinner!

12. "My foot stands in an even place; in the congregations will I bless the Lord."

Hope revives. Faith realizes that it firmly rests on immovable ground. It receives a kingdom which cannot be shaken. It looks beyond the earthly courts and congresses of pious men to the innumerable throng. It forgets the present praise in forethought of the never ending song. Their one ecstatic chorus will forever swell—Blessings to our God, and to the Lamb. Lord, fit us to bear our part!

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2006, 02:44:07 PM »

Psalm 27

Faith makes strong professions, and utters earnest prayers. May such be the exercise of our hearts unto life eternal!

1. "The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?"

This ode begins with a noble outbreak of triumphant confidence. Faith is in loftiest exercise. Foes indeed surround; they are distinctly seen. Their presence and their might is not ignored. But no fear troubles; no dismay appals. Why? The believer knows that he is united to his Lord, and one with Him in the closest bonds; and that he has full interest in all the Lord's perfections. No darkness can bewilder, for the Lord is his light. No destruction can overtake, for the Lord is his salvation. His life can never perish, for the Lord is its strength. May we never rest until our lips can sing thus happily!

2. "When the wicked, even my enemies and my foes, came upon me to eat up my flesh, they stumbled and fell."

Here is the character of the adversaries of the Lord. They are the wicked. They are Cain-like, who was of that wicked one, and killed his brother. And why did he slay him? Because his own works were evil, and his brother's righteous. We see striking fulfillment in the garden of Gethsemane. The traitor enters with his evil band. Jesus meets them calm in the majesty of deity. His eye, His voice shatter their boldness. They cannot stand before Him. They go backward and fall to the ground. Such is the sure downfall of all the foes of Jesus.

3. "Though an host should encamp against me, my heart shall not fear; though war should rise against me, in this will I be confident."

Hosts of men are less than nothing compared with heavenly guards. When the trembling servant cried, "Alas! my master, what shall we do?" the prophet answered, "Fear not, for those who are with us are more than those who are with them." Elisha prayed, "Open his eyes that he may see." He saw, and behold, the mountain was full of horses and chariots of fire round about Elisha. Even so, let us only believe and we are safe.

4. "One thing have I desired of the Lord, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the Lord, and to enquire in His temple."

One supreme desire occupies the believing heart. He longs for close communion with the Lord. He diligently uses all appointed means. He seeks the ordinances which God's presence sanctifies. Such is the constant habit of his soul. It is no passing impulse. He pursues this hallowed communion all the days of his life. His eyes would see the beauty of the Lord, the lovely charm of His transcendent grace, displayed in redemption's wondrous work. His soul thirsts after fuller knowledge. His ardent cry is, "Show me Your glory."

5. "For in the time of trouble He shall hide me in His pavilion; in the secret of His tabernacle shall He hide me; He shall set me up upon a rock."

The result of faithful obedience is assurance of security. When troubles come like a flood, they cannot reach the tranquil worshiper. He is calm in the recesses of his Lord's presence. The curtains of His pavilion are spread around him. He stands high upon a rock. That rock is Christ. Those who are thus uplifted are far above the reach of hostile shafts. From his high stronghold he can look down and smile on all the rage of those who would destroy him. This rock is near. We are invited to its refuge. Let our steps hasten; then we are safe indeed.

6. "And now shall my head be lifted up above my enemies round about me; therefore will I offer in His tabernacle sacrifices of joy; I will sing, yes, I will sing praises unto the Lord."

Assurance should be ever sought, and it may be scripturally won. The head no longer will hang down. It will put on the helmet of salvation. It will look down in triumph on foes now impotent to hurt. This assurance brings offerings to the Lord's altar. They are the sacrifices of thanksgiving.

Assurance has, also, a joyful voice. It ever sings, and the song is praises to the Lord. Here is a test to prove our state. We, surely, are loiterers in the plain, and have not reached the height of scriptural delight, unless our hearts continually send up the incense of abounding thanks.

7. "Hear, O Lord, when I cry with my voice; have mercy also upon me, and answer me."

Assurance is far from presumption. While earth is the home, necessities will be present. Grace must be sought, and, therefore, with all praise, petition will be intermixed. The sinner, with all knowledge of salvation, still has knowledge of his sinful state. Therefore he never ceases to seek mercy. Knowing that God will hear and answer, he still will importune, Let answers come—give sweet tokens that my prayers prevail.

8. "When you said, Seek My face; my heart said to you, Your face, Lord, will I seek."

Faith hears the voice of God sweetly speaking in the Scripture page. It calls, it invites, it allures. It warns to arise and flee the vanities of earth. It tells of their emptiness. It promises peace and delight in the reconciled smile of God. The enlightened soul simply obeys. It flies away, and basks beneath the rays of heaven.

9, 10. "Do not hide Your face far from me; Do not turn Your servant away in anger; you have been my help; leave me not, neither forsake me, O God of my salvation. When my father and my mother forsake me, then the Lord will take me up."

The brightest sun may soon be overcast. Clouds may arise, and storms threaten, and darkness and chilliness interpose. Thus sense of sin, and consciousness of deep corruption, may stir up misgivings. Prayer wrestlingly beseeches that the smile so gladly sought may not become averted, and that no just wrath may close the door of conscious acceptance. Former supports are urged in plea. God is addressed as pledged by covenant to save, and bound by strongest ties never to desert or fail.

Earthly relationships are easily dissolved. Affection may decay. Fickleness begets estrangement. Distance may part. Death comes, and desolation sits where happy fellowship once reigned. But God's love in Christ is strong, immutable, eternal. He has the Father's heart, which beats with tenderness, incapable of diminution or of change. O Father, ever be a Father unto us!

11. "Teach me Your way, O Lord, and lead me in a plain path, because of my enemies."

We again see how warily assurance walks. The firm belief that God cannot forsake, increases diligence to desire for constant guidance. The holy fears awaken lest ignorance should lead into unrighteous ways, and cause the watchful enemy to exult. Teach me, lead me, are wise prayers. They bring the Spirit's light to shine upon the path, the Spirit's hand to give sustaining aid.

12. "Deliver me not over unto the will of my enemies; for false witnesses have risen against me, and such as breathe out cruelty."

We tread no path of trial or of suffering which is not hallowed by our Lord's preceding step. We taste no bitter cup which His lips have not drained. No misery afflicts us which He has not previously endured. The stings of slander are keen. It is anguish when false tongues persist in charging falsely. Jesus felt this. No scrutiny could find fault in Him; but still His judges must have a facade of evidence; therefore, false witnesses were bribed to fabricate malicious tales.

There is great mercy in these foreshadowing views of Jesus. They imprint the stamp of inspiration on the blessed Word. David not only stands a conspicuous type, but words are placed upon his lips which find fulfillment in the varied trials of our Lord. We thankfully adore the mercy. We feel in our grateful hearts, The Scriptures are eternal truth; we may firmly trust them. They cannot be broken.

13. "I had fainted, unless I had believed I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living."

The original sentence is strikingly incomplete. The words, "I had fainted", are adapted as implying the soul's forlorn and sinking state, if faith and hope had not sustained it. But amid all sorrows and fears a joyful expectation cheered our Lord. He looked onward to the final display of God's goodness in the land of the living. He knew that death could not detain Him. He foresaw the glorious land, where He would reign the living head of a living family. Let our hearts confidently look onward. Soon the shadows will have passed away—the day will dawn, goodness will be the one atmosphere, and living souls will ever live.

14. "Wait on the Lord; be of good courage, and He shall strengthen your heart; wait, I say, on the Lord."

The 'wonderful Counselor' exhorts His followers to be strong in Him. He asks them to trust as He had trusted, and they will find as He had found. May the Spirit help us to act out this precious lesson! May He so nerve our spirits that no despondency may ever weaken! And may our eyes be ever raised to heaven, waiting until mercies issue forth. If they tarry, still let us wait. In due time surely they will come.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2006, 03:07:40 PM »

Psalm 28

Earnest prayer is followed by exulting praise. May prayer lead us to glad thanksgivings!

1. "Unto You will I cry, O Lord my rock; Do not be silent to me; lest, if you are silent to me, I become like those who go down into the pit."

Strong resolves are the belt of the faithful man. Among these none is more prominent than fixed intention that prayer shall never cease. Prayer usually singles out some gracious revelation of our God, and earnestly pleads it. Here God is reminded that He is His people's Rock. As such He is immovable, and they who rest on Him cannot be shaken. Billows of trouble may lash. Storms of persecution may arise. But they remain secure.

Sure replies flow as a gladdening stream. Sometimes they may seem to be delayed. These times are chilling. If they continue long, life would grow faint, and death would hasten to extend its hand.

2. "Hear the voice of my supplications when I cry to You, when I lift up my hands toward your holy oracle."

The mercy-seat was a sweet symbol of the blessed Jesus. To Him the eye should look, the voice be raised, the hands be uplifted in each exercise of prayer. His merits perfume each address; His worth gives value, and His intercession gains acceptance. Prayer without Christ is empty sound. It is vain sound. The lips may mutter, but no blessings are obtained.

3, 4. "Draw me not away with the wicked, and with the workers of iniquity, who speak peace to their neighbors, but mischief is in their hearts. Give them according to their deeds, and according to the wickedness of their endeavors; give them after the work of their hands; render to them their desert."

The most exalted believer is still a miserable sinner. Sin is a malady under which he daily groans. It is a foe with which he daily struggles. He hates it in its every form. Especially he loathes deceit, and deviousness, and fraud. Therefore he earnestly cries that he may be severed from its contact now, and from its doom forever. He knows that justice will erect its throne; that rigid scrutiny will weigh each word and work; that final reckoning will assign true judgment. He looks onward to the great white throne and its award. He humbly acquiesces in the sentence which will there be given. Even so, Lord. The Judge of all the earth is righteousness and truth.

5. "Because they do not regard the works of the Lord, nor the operation of His hands, He shall destroy them, and not build them up."

Our God does not hide Himself. Man's ignorance of God is willful and self-chosen. His power and Godhead are written in letters of light throughout creation's page. His constant interposition in the world's course, in favor of His people and His truth, always speaks loudly. This witness disregarded seals the sad doom. If eyes and ears refuse to learn, sentence is most just.

6. "Blessed be the Lord, because He has heard the voice of my supplications."

The answer comes. Promises to prayer are all fulfilled. Then what joy abounds! The voice is still upraised, but now the note is changed. Clouds of grateful incense rise to the courts above.

7. "The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in Him, and I am helped; therefore my heart greatly rejoices; and with my song will I praise Him."

A season of rapturous joy succeeds. God is gratefully acknowledged as supplying inward power to resist evil and to exhibit faith. How strong is he who has Jehovah for his strength! But the Lord is more. He wards off all foes, and presents Himself as His people's shield. We see, also, the power of faith. It brings sure help. He who can say, I trust, will surely add, All support is supplied. Then joy overflows—joy of heart joy to unlimited extent. The lips sing sweetly, and God is the happy theme.

8. "The Lord is their strength, and He is the saving strength of His anointed."

The believer is one of a large company. Each one is feeble without God; but each partakes of heavenly strength in Him. Each as one with Christ is anointed with unction from above; and each rejoices in that strength which brings salvation.

9. "Save Your people and bless Your inheritance; feed them also and lift them up forever."

The gift of prayer is for the common prosperity of God's chosen. They are dear to Him; and it is joy to Him to hear petitions in their behalf. They are dear as His people, heirs of His kingdom, sheep of His fold. Lord, hear our cry. Save them to the uttermost with Your salvation. Bless them with all Your blessings; feed them in Your wholesome pastures; lift them up above the reach of harm; and from the dust of death, to the highest glories of Your kingdom.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2006, 03:10:17 PM »

Psalm 29

Jehovah's voice is mighty. It sounds in the storms of nature, in the outgoings of grace, in the terrors of the dissolving world. May our listening ears be ever open!

1, 2. "Give unto the Lord, O you mighty, give unto the Lord glory and strength. Give unto the Lord the glory due unto His name; worship the Lord in the beauty of holiness."

The high ones of the earth are called to wisdom. They are counseled to estimate rightly their real state; to lie in lowliness before Jehovah's majesty; to acknowledge His high supremacy; to see in Him the source of all their earthly greatness; to ascribe due glory to His all-glorious name. Especially they are called to Gospel-worship, adoring Christ in the sanctuary, where all is beauty, and all the beauty is pure holiness. Would that each crown were placed at Jesus' feet!

3. "The voice of the Lord is upon the waters; the God of glory thunders; the Lord is upon many waters."

The rising of a storm is vividly portrayed. The eye of the spectator rests upon the sea. From its waters a distant rumbling is heard. The sound becomes exceeding loud. The thunder roars. The God of glory speaks in dreadful tone. The God of glory still speaks terribly when the roar of thunder proclaims the Gospel truth. The terrified conscience hears and quakes. It was so on the day of Pentecost. It is so still in the recesses of many hearts. The full consummation draws near. Then, in the Prophet's words, "The Lord shall roar out of Zion, and utter His voice from Jerusalem; and the heavens and the earth shall shake."

4. "The voice of the Lord is powerful; the voice of the Lord is full of majesty."

As the storm thickens, the majestic power of the Lord is more appalling. When the Gospel-voice goes forth to subdue the heart, the might is irresistible. It rides forth terrible in majesty. They who now yield will calmly smile when this voice shakes terribly the earth.

5, 6. "The voice of the Lord splits the mighty cedars; the Lord shatters the cedars of Lebanon. He makes Lebanon's mountains skip like a calf and Mount Hermon to leap like a young bull."

The storm moves onward towards the north. It thickens over the vast forests of Lebanon. It shatters the strong cedars of those hills. The mountains seem to tremble in frightened agitation. The nimble boundings of the calf and bull are figures of their trembling motion. Thus the Gospel, working with power, lays low all lofty thoughts. Then the heart trembles, and the conscience quakes. These emblems are weak to show the terrors of the great day, when the earth shall reel to and fro, and its deep foundations tremble in affright.

7. "The voice of the Lord divides the flames of fire."

The forked lightning now flares. Divided flashes dart fire on the earth. It is the voice of the Lord which sends them forth. Let Jehovah's power be adored. Here the wonders of the day of Pentecost are clearly seen. The Spirit comes in tongues of fire, and rests on the Apostles' heads. Thus His rays penetrate the heart, give light, and purify. May the Spirit enlighten all our darkness! May we be kept watching, for the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night, in which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat; the earth, also, and the works in it shall be burned up.

8. "The voice of the Lord shakes the wilderness; the Lord shakes the wilderness of Kadesh."

The storm envelops the whole heavens from north to south. It rages through the wilderness below Judea. There are no limits to its fury. The voice of the Gospel has no boundaries. It goes forth into all the earth. By the Spirit's power it will gather in converts from all lands. Universal, also, will be the wonders of the great and terrible day of the Lord.

9. "The voice of the Lord makes the hinds to calve, and discovers the forests; and in His temple everyone speaks of His glory."

The effects of the storm are mighty. The frightened hinds produce their young. The leaves fall thick, and show the stripped branches. These, indeed, are glorious works. The storm proclaims God's glory. But the Church is God's glory in the highest. All who are thus called, with one loud voice, speak of the glories of His grace, His love, His righteousness, His truth. Oh, may the Lord be ever glorified in us!

10. "The Lord sits upon the flood; yes, the Lord sits King forever."

After the storm, torrents descend. The waters of Noah seem to drown the earth. As in the deluge, the Lord sat in calm majesty upon His throne in serenity surveying the scene; so now He reigns forever King of kings and Lord of lords.

11. "The Lord will give strength to His people; the Lord will bless His people with peace."

Amid all storms of nature now, and troubles within, and in the final crash of worlds, God's people are undismayed. Strength for all trials is their portion. His blessing, which conveys all joy, is on them. Christ's legacy is peace. "Peace I leave with you; My peace I give unto you."

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2006, 06:23:07 PM »

Psalm 30

Sorrows are transient. Joys are forever. May we so mourn, that we may be comforted!

1. "I will extol You, O Lord; for You have lifted me up, and have not made my foes to rejoice over me."

A train of mercies fills the Psalmist with thanksgivings. He had been brought low. His foes were ready to exult, but he was rescued. A saving arm had raised him. He who thus uplifts should be uplifted. Praise should magnify deliverance. In this praise there is the echo of the voice of Jesus. In His experience, also, His saints concur. They should sing as He sang.

2, 3. "O Lord my God, I cried to You, and You have healed me. O Lord, You have brought up my soul from the grave; You have kept me alive, that I should not go down to the pit."

These bodies are exposed to countless maladies. Our souls, also, suffer from disease and weakness. Prayer brings the Good Physician to our aid. He comes, and from His wings drop health and freshness. Sometimes the body totters over the grave. Sometimes spiritual life is almost extinct. But the Lord can grant revival. To all appearance the life of Jesus had expired. He was lain, as a dead man, in the grave; but He arose to live forevermore. In spirit we here see the glorious resurrection. Let all the members who revived in Him adopt these notes of praise.

4, 5. "Sing to the Lord, O you saints of His, and give thanks at the remembrance of His holiness. For His anger endures but a moment; in His favor is life; weeping may endure for a night, but joy comes in the morning."

The believer feels that a universal chorus should rise as incense to the skies. Every heart should swell the hymn. All share the mercies, all should return thanksgivings. Memory suggests abundant themes. In all His dealings God is a God of holiness and truth. May we delight to sing, "Holy, holy, holy, Lord God of hosts." There are times when lovingkindness is obscured by signs of displeasure. His seeming anger is as the chill of death; but soon the cloud withdraws, and favor, which is life, returns. The darkness passes, fears vanish. The joyful morning dawns, and all is bright.

Here we see the resurrection-morn of Christ. There had been darkness, but it soon vanished. There is now the brightness of eternal day. We too have now a night of trouble, but the trouble is light; it lasts but for a moment. It works for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory. While we weep still let us sing, "Joy comes in the morning."

6, 7. "And in my prosperity I said, I shall never be moved. Lord, by Your favor You have made my mountain to stand strong; You hid Your face, and I was troubled."

David was raised from deep troubles to great prosperity. Zion's stronghold seemed to be impregnable. Sleeping in the lap of ease, he forgot his true support. The Lord in mercy shook the pillow of carnal security, and trouble brought him to a right mind. Seasons of prosperity are full of peril. They induce forgetfulness of Him by whom alone we stand. But God remembers us when we turn from Him. He looks away. Troubles instantly rush in. The shining of His face is the true joy. His look averted makes the prospect dark.

8, 9, 10. "I cried to You, O Lord; and unto the Lord I made supplication. What profit is there in my blood, when I go down to the pit? Shall the dust praise You? shall it declare Your truth? Hear, O Lord, and have mercy upon me; Lord, be my helper."

Trouble is sent in mercy. It subserves a blessed end. It rouses the sleepy soul from dangerous lethargy. It is a scourge which drives the careless to the mercy-seat. Here, when God's smile ceases, importunate petitions are in full activity. The gate of mercy opens to the returning knock. Faith is an inventive grace. From every trouble it can draw a plea. It here reasons, My destruction brings no glory to the courts of heaven; if my lips are silent in the grave, no longer can my praise be heard; my grateful tribute can no more set forth Your truth. Then the prayer renews its strength, and cries for audience, mercy, help. Therefore may our faith gather strong arguments to supplicate for joyful resurrection. Let our deep longings ever be to join the eternal hallelujahs, which are God's glory in the highest.

11, 12. "You have turned for me my mourning into dancing; You have put off my sackcloth, and girded me with gladness; to the end that my glory may sing praise to You, and not be silent. O Lord my God, I will give thanks to You forever."

Images of exuberant joy conclude this ode. Mourning is gone. The sackcloth of woe is put aside. Every movement testifies exhilaration. The girdle of the loins is gladness. For what purpose is this glad exchange? The design is that God may be loudly praised by every utterance of the lips. This scene will soon be realized. The day of Christ draws near. Then will be fullness of joy. Then, O Lord our God, we will give thanks to You forever.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2006, 06:25:29 PM »

Psalm 31

The believer's security is in God in every trial, through life, and in death. May we be kept by His mighty power through faith unto eternal life!

1. "In You, O Lord, I put my trust; let me never be ashamed; deliver me in Your righteousness."

The voice from the cross decides that we have here the thoughts and feelings of our blessed Lord. In the exercise of faith He leads the way. In prayer for favors He is our example. It is good to tell our God how fully we rely on Him. We may be bold to ask deliverance on the plea of righteous covenant and holy promises.

2, 3. "Bow down Your ear to me; deliver me speedily; be my strong rock, for a house of defense to save me. For You are my rock and my fortress; therefore, for Your name's sake, lead me, and guide me."

The grace to be importunate in prayer is very precious, and should be diligently cultivated. Faith deals familiarly, and supplicates that God would take the attitude of an earnest listener, and drink in every cry, and speedily arise to help. Faith rightfully expects that God would be true to the character which He has revealed. It argues, God's glorious perfections will be tarnished if the believer strays unguided.

4. "Pull me out of the net that they have laid privily for me; for You are my strength."

The blessed Jesus was exposed to many crafty wiles, but never were His feet entangled. Snares on all sides beset us. Conscious of inability to extricate ourselves, let us look to the strong to put forth a mighty hand, most mightily to extricate us.

5. "Into Your hand I commit my spirit; You have redeemed me, O Lord God of truth."

Let us bless Jesus that His dying lips have given special sanctity to these words. How many since have thus breathed their last breath? May they be our constant utterance, for we know not what word may be our last. When we assuredly believe that God has redeemed us by His Son's precious blood, and are persuaded that His holy Word is truth, we may, without one fear, commit our spirits to His care. The custody is safe. He must be greater than God, who plucks our souls from His protecting hands.

6, 7, 8. "I have hated those who regard lying vanities; but I trust in the Lord. I will be glad and rejoice in Your mercy; for You have considered my trouble; You have known my soul in adversities; and have not shut me up into the hand of the enemy; You have set my feet in a large room."

Many vain cheats are impudent to deceive us. Riches, honor, titles, reason, intellect, invite us to rely on their aid. But they are empty bubbles. Their promises are fraud. The believer flees with abhorrence from those who walk in these deceits. He has a large volume of experience. In trouble he has found that God's thoughts were on him. All his adverse circumstances have been lovingly regarded. In all his ways of sorrow God has been by his side. Deliverance and enlargement have been near. Great mercy has been shown; great gladness will acknowledge it.

9, 10. "Have mercy upon me, O Lord, for I am in trouble; my eye is consumed with grief, yes, my soul and my belly. For my life is spent with grief, and my years with sighing; my strength fails because of my iniquity, and my bones are consumed."

Our first thoughts here are thoughts of Jesus. He bore our sins; on Him our every iniquity was laid. He stood before God, laden with all our sins. By imputation, He was a mass of guilt. This would be acute anguish to His soul. Grief would be His constant comrade. Sorrow would plough furrows on His brow. Declining strength would show the increased woe. He would often sigh, "Have mercy upon me, O Lord, for I am in trouble."

cont

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2006, 06:27:14 PM »

Here, also, is the anguish of the conscience-stricken. When sin is once seen in all its hideous sinfulness, when guilt before God is once discovered, the misery would drive reason from its seat, unless the grief found vent in cries for mercy.

11, 12, 13. "I was a reproach among all my enemies, but especially among my neighbors, and a fear to my acquaintance; those who saw me outside fled from me. I am forgotten as a dead man, out of mind; I am like a broken vessel. For I have heard the slander of many; fear was on every side; while they took counsel together against me, they devised to take away my life."

The Spirit vividly foreshows the sufferings of Jesus when He was despised and rejected of men. His chosen followers forsook Him and fled. He was carried as a dead man to the tomb. He was regarded as a broken piece of pottery worthless for further use. The Jews conspired to destroy Him. Nothing could allay their malice. Their cry was urgent, 'Let Him be crucified.'

Much of this cruel usage was experienced by the type. David fled as an outcast. Conspirators laid plots. Evil counselors took evil counsel. Similar enmity burns against every true disciple. Outward restraints may bind, but the inward hatred is the same.

14. "But I trusted in you, O Lord; I said, You are my God."

God is the refuge of His people in all ages. To Him they fly. In Him they are secure.

15. "My times are in Your hand; deliver me from the hand of my enemies, and from those who persecute me."

There is a flood of comfort in the thought that God's unfailing providence orders all our matters. Each event is surely ordered. If without Him no sparrow falls, surely without Him no evil prevails against us. His hand is over all. He can deliver from each foe's malice, and each persecutor's rage. Knowing this, let us direct our prayer to Him, the only source of help.

16, 17, 18. "Make Your face shine upon Your servant; save me for Your mercies' sake. Let me not be ashamed, O Lord; for I have called upon You; let the wicked be ashamed, and let them be silent in the grave. Let the lying lips be put to silence; which speak grievous things proudly and contemptuously against the righteous."

The misery of the godly is the absence of the smile of heaven. The soul cannot be still while such darkness and such chill continues. It knows that the Lord can instantly cause brightness to return. Hence the strong petition, "Make Your face shine." This light is full salvation. Therefore faith adds, "Save me for Your mercies' sake." God's mercy is the only plea, but it is mighty and prevails. Mercy implored is mercy won. Grace ceases to be grace if it rejects the supplicant's cry. Prayer will never hang down its head abashed.

But a day of confusion quickly comes. Wicked lips spoke with proud contempt against the blessed Jesus. Excuse will fail before the great white throne. Shame will then close their lips. When slander assails us, let us reflect, How short is this day of evil! We shall sing loudly, while the lips of lies are only opened to bewail.

19. "Oh how great is Your goodness, which You have laid up for those who do not fear; which You have wrought for those who trust in You before the sons of men!"

Grateful experience cannot be silent. Exclamation will break forth. In the midst of trials, comforts more than abound. God's treasure-house is full of joys. The believer finds that the store exceeds all thought, and baffles praise. He can only shout, 'How great is Your goodness!' Truly, it is great as God is great. To measure the infinitudes of grace is to measure God Himself. His precious dealings towards His favored children are often so conspicuously displayed, that enmity itself cannot deny that God is truly with them.

20. "You shall hide them in the secret of Your presence from the pride of man; You shall keep them secretly in a pavilion from the strife of tongues."

When haughty man insults, and tongues send forth poison darts, the child of God has a sure hiding place. His God is present. He screens himself behind His sheltering wings. He enters the inmost curtains of a secreting tent. He is hidden in light. It is a great mystery. None can explain but those who feel it.

21. "Blessed be the Lord; for He has shown me His marvelous kindness in a strong city."

Such, doubtless, would be David's feeling when he reigned in Zion; and, doubtless, such would be His praise. But this is especially the believer's song. He has a strong city. God has appointed salvation for walls and bulwarks. He enters into Christ. He sits secure in an impregnable fort. No foe can pass the gates. No might can make impression on the walls. The foundations are exceedingly strong. The towers over-top the skies. Serene in His fortress he learns many lessons, and feasts on precious truths. They all speak of mercy, grace, love; and all these sweet displays are wonderful. Wondrous indeed the kindness which looked on miserable rebels, and sent Jesus to seek and save! Wondrous the scheme! Wondrous the effects! Wonder of wonders that we should have interest in it! We can only cry, "Blessed God."

22. "For I said in my haste, I am cut off from before Your eyes; nevertheless You heard the voice of my supplications when I cried to You."

The movements of the believer's mind are quite a paradox. Gleams of sunshine follow the cloudy gloom. He fears amid all confidence; he trusts amid all misgivings. He speaks in haste; but still his soul is tranquil steadfastness. He thinks that he is utterly rejected; but still he prays. He believes that all hope is gone; but answers come to every cry.

23. "O love the Lord, all you His saints; for the Lord preserves the faithful, and plentifully rewards the proud doer."

Abundant motives call to the love of God; not least His constant care of His true children, and His sure vengeance on proud foes. Let us trust, and we are safe. They who transgress shall surely be requited.

24. "Be of good courage, and He shall strengthen your heart, all you who hope in the Lord."

Trust must rely only on our God. All other confidences are empty vanity. They who thus trust may cast away all fear. Let them meet every trial bold as the lion. Courage will become more courageous. Strength from above will make the heart more strong.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2006, 06:37:54 PM »

Psalm 32

We are taught the blessedness of sin's pardon through the faith of Christ. O Lord, give us this blessing, and we shall be blessed!

1, 2. "Blessed is he whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered. Blessed is the man to whom the Lord imputes not iniquity, and in whose spirit there is no deceit."

If he alone was blessed whom no sin had ever stained, this world would have a wretched doom! If he alone was blessed, whose feet had never strayed from godly ways, where could we hide our heads? But blessedness belongs to the transgressor PARDONED—to the sinner, whose sins are no more seen by God—to the guilty, to whose account the guilt is no more reckoned. We are transgressors, we are sinners, we are deep-steeped in guilt. Is this blessedness given to us?

Yes, truly, if through grace we have received Christ. There is redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of all our sins. His cross redeems from transgression, iniquity, and sin. His beautiful righteousness so hides all guilt, that God's omniscient eye no more discerns it. His blood wipes out all record of iniquity. For the believer's sins may be searched for, but they shall not be found. Such blessedness is the fruit of faith. Oh, precious grace! Blessed are those to whom it is freely given! From faith's deep roots all virtuous blossoms spring. The honest mind, the truthful heart, the honest purpose, are pre-eminently its fruits.

3, 4. "When I kept silence, my bones grew old, through my groaning all the day long; for day and night Your hand was heavy upon me; my moisture was turned into the drought of summer."

Great is the anguish of the soul, when first the Spirit reveals sin. Day brings no joy, and night supplies no ease. An intolerable burden oppresses the mind. This is the Lord's hand. Thus He shakes from security's delusive pillow. Thus He directs the footsteps to the cross. But until Christ is seen, what misery is undergone! Feverish heat dries up the pores. The frame is parched, as plains beneath the sultry sun. The body weakens; the bones are tottering as in extreme old age; the howls of grief betray the tortured mind.

5. "I acknowledge my sin to You, and I have not hidden my iniquity. I said, I will confess my transgressions to the Lord; and You forgave the iniquity of my sin."

At length relief is found. God is revealed as pardoning all sin in Christ. The glories of the saving cross are shown. The contrite sinner flies in haste. He lies in deep humility. He pours out every secret of his melted heart. He recounts the train of life-long iniquity; He confesses, "Thus and thus have I done." The mass is mountain-high. The stain is deeper than the scarlet-dye. The language of the cross is heard—all is forgiven! all is blotted out!

6. "For this shall every one that is godly pray to You in a time when You may be found; surely in the floods of great waters they shall not come near him." Because God is a God ready to forgive, His people throng the mercy-seat. If no mercy could be found, no prayers would plead. But no delays may check. Now God extends the scepter of His grace. But the morrow may proclaim, 'Too late.' Prayer brings security. Floods of trouble may rush in from all sides, but the godly are borne above all in a peaceful ark. A fiery deluge soon will drown the world; but the fierce billows will not reach the ransomed of the Lord.

7. "You are my hiding-place; You shall preserve me from trouble; You shall compass me about with songs of deliverance."

No trouble can touch those who are securely hidden in God. The preserved shall dwell amid incessant songs. And every song shall testify, "You have delivered us from the wrath to come!"

8, 9. "I will instruct you, and teach you in the way which you shall go; I will guide you with My eye. Do not be as the horse, or as the mule, which have no understanding; whose mouth must be held in with bit and bridle, lest they come near you."

At each moment we lack wisdom. At each moment God waits to guide. We have large promises. Let us largely plead them. If our eyes are turned to Him, in His eye we shall read His will. Let us with all docility obey. The beasts give warning. Sharp discipline restrains the senseless and the stubborn.

10, 11. "Many sorrows shall be to the wicked; but he who trusts in the Lord, mercy shall compass him about. Be glad in the Lord, and rejoice, you righteous, and shout for joy, all you who are upright in heart."

Many sorrows now—many sorrows forever, must be the sinner's doom. The mouth of the Lord has spoken it. Justice demands it.

In contrast view the faithful. Mercy precedes them. Mercy follows them. Mercy gleams on their right hand. Mercy smiles on their left. They dwell in mercy, and God's mercy is salvation.

We cannot ponder too much the character of God's people. They are righteous. They are sincere. As such they have a right to joy. But all their joy has Jesus as its source. SELF only awakens grief and contempt. But they rejoice in the Lord, and in His finished work. May this delight be ever ours.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2006, 06:42:44 PM »

Psalm 33

All praise is due to God, for all He is—for all that He has done. May we begin the praise which shall not end!

1, 2, 3. "Let the godly sing with joy to the Lord, for it is fitting to praise him. Praise the Lord with melodies on the lyre; make music for him on the ten-stringed harp. Sing new songs of praise to him; play skillfully on the harp and sing with joy."

When we realize the blessings of salvation, we must feel that every breath should praise the Lord; and our whole life should be thanksgiving. We should awaken every power, and enlist all art to magnify His name. This service is God's due, and should be duly rendered.

4, 5. "For the word of the Lord is right; and all His works are done in truth. He loves righteousness and judgment; the earth is full of the goodness of the Lord."

His Word, His works call loudly for this tribute. They dazzle with the luster of perfection. It must be so, for they spring from a fountain which is pure holiness. Survey the earth in all its marvelous variety. Each object, seen by faith's enlightened eye, shows the impress of benevolence.

6, 7, 8, 9. "The Lord merely spoke, and the heavens were created. He breathed the word, and all the stars were born. He gave the sea its boundaries and locked the oceans in vast reservoirs. Let everyone in the world fear the Lord, and let everyone stand in awe of him. For when he spoke, the world began! It appeared at his command."

We adore the glory of the eternal Trinity. We adore the Word, co-eternal and co-efficient with the Father. By Him were all things made, and without Him was not anything made that was made. We adore the Spirit moving upon the face of the waters. We adore triune omnipotence. Without effort or tedious process the word is spoken, and all creation bolts into life, confirmed in perfect beauty. Who will not reverence such glorious power? Throughout earth's length and breadth, man's posture should be reverence and awe.

10, 11. "The Lord brings the counsel of the heathen to nothing; He makes the devices of the people of no effect. The counsel of the Lord stands forever, the thoughts of His heart to all generations."

But man in proud madness plots against Almightiness. The result has ever been the same. God's glory shines more gloriously. Opponents perish in shame and merited confusion. So it must ever be. The glories of eternity, the hallelujahs of the ransomed, will proclaim that all His purposes have triumphed; that all His plans have prospered; that all His people are forever saved; that all His foes are brought to nothing.

12. "Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord; and the people whom He has chosen for His own inheritance."

Among the multitudes of earth, happy are those who reject all idols and all vain confidence, and choose the Lord to be their God. They are blessed beyond what word can speak, or thought conceive. They are the loved from eternity. They are the called of the Spirit. They choose Him because He first chose them. They fly to Him, because He bends their will, and gives them power.

13, 14, 15. "The Lord looks from heaven; He beholds all the sons of men. From the place of His habitation He looks upon all the inhabitants of the earth. He fashions their hearts alike; He considers all their works."

An eye from heaven pervades the world. It penetrates all space and looks internally into every breast. There is no heart which His hand framed not. And every step is exposed to His omniscience.

16, 17. "The best-equipped army cannot save a king, nor is great strength enough to save a warrior. Don't count on your warhorse to give you victory—for all its strength, it cannot save you."

Real strength is not in earthly things. Those who seek help below the heavens seek it from a source too low. God only is real power. Much more will they find disappointment who trust to self in matters of salvation. Christ wrought it out. Christ only gives.

18, 19. "Behold, the eye of the Lord is upon those who fear Him, upon those who hope in His mercy; to deliver their soul from death, and to keep them alive in famine."

God's children have most beautiful lineaments (or features). They reverently fear; they confidently trust. They are well known in heaven. He who gave grace, discerns it. They may be brought into distress, but they come forth uninjured. At last they reach the haven of eternal life.

20, 21, 22. "Our soul waits for the Lord; He is our help and our shield. For our heart shall rejoice in Him; because we have trusted in His holy name. Let Your mercy, O Lord, be upon us, according as we hope in You."

Faith is a happy grace. Indeed, no true joy lives except as springing from this root. Is it not joy to feel equipped against every foe? What can injure those who have God for their shield? What can effectually resist those who have God for their help?

But in all joy faith is most humble. In its most lofty song, it bows the knee. In its most happy hope it cries for mercy. Let Your mercy, O Lord, be upon us, according as we hope in You. Such is our prayer. Let speedy answers come!

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2006, 06:37:18 PM »

Psalm 34

God's never-failing care demands unfailing praise. Sheltered beneath the refuge of His wings, may we sing gratefully!

1, 2. "I will bless the Lord at all times; His praise shall continually be in my mouth. My soul shall make her boast in the Lord; the humble shall hear of it and be glad."

We hear the voice of Jesus. On earth He dwelt in prayer and praise. Shall the Head thus speak, and shall not each member lengthen out the strain? No moment comes which bears not blessings on its wings. Let each moment carry back thanksgivings. We should be ceaseless in telling out our mercies, that the lowly sons of God may be witnesses of our joys.

3, 4, 5, 6. "O magnify the Lord with me, and let us exalt His name together. I sought the Lord, and He heard me, and delivered me from all my fears. They looked to Him and were lightened; and their faces were not ashamed. This poor man cried, and the Lord heard him, and saved him out of all his troubles."

This precious record of experience is common to the whole family of faith. They have the common portion of fear and trouble; but in all distress their course is the same. They seek the Lord. They turn their eyes to Him. To Him they raise the suppliant cry. They all are gladdened by the like result. They are all heard—relieved, delivered, saved. They never hang their heads depressed in shame. Oh! happy people! happy lot! One, also, is their grateful task. They call on all around to swell their praise.

7. "The angel of the Lord encamps round about those who fear Him, and delivers them."

If eyes were opened to behold surrounding scenes, what companies of heavenly guards would brightly shine around! Their ministering aid averts innumerable evils. They were sent in support to our glorious Head. Unseen, as truly their camp defends us.

8, 9, 10. "O taste and see that the Lord is good! blessed is the man who trusts in Him. O fear the Lord, you His saints; for there is no lack to those who fear Him. The young lions lack and suffer hunger; but those who seek the Lord shall not lack any good thing."

Heavenly counsels call us to know by glad experience the goodness of the Lord. The cup is brought to our very lips. We are invited to exhaust these waters of delight. The strongest in their strength may suffer famine; but all abundance of real food is the rich table of the humble saint.

11. "Come, you children, listen to Me; I will teach you the fear of the Lord."

The heart of Jesus calls us children. He bids us to sit as children at His feet. Blessed are the lessons of His lips! The foremost is the fear of God. Oh, may we truly learn that fear!

12, 13, 14. "What man is he who desires life, and loves many days, that he may see good? Keep your tongue from evil, and your lips from speaking deceit. Depart from evil, and do good; seek peace, and pursue it."

The love of earthly life is natural to man; but life eternal is to see the goodness and the glory of the Lord. This is the result of grace. Where grace is freely given, the evidence is surely seen. It is no barren tree. The lips are guarded. The tongue is free from deceit. The ways of the Lord are diligently sought. The peaceable fruits of righteousness abound.

15, 16, 17, 18. "The eyes of the Lord are upon the righteous, and His ears are open to their cry. The face of the Lord is against those who do evil, to cut off the remembrance of them from the earth. The righteous cry, and the Lord hears, and delivers them out of all their troubles. The Lord is near to those who are of a broken heart; and saves such as are of a contrite spirit."

Delight in prayer is evidence of grace. The righteous cannot be silent. The watchful Lord hears every movement of their humble spirits. He quickly comes to bind up the mourning heart, and to deliver from the grasp of sorrow.

How sad is the reverse of this sweet picture! There is a multitude who throng the paths of evil. The Lord's averted look to them is misery and death.

19, 20. "Many are the afflictions of the righteous but the Lord delivers him out of them all. He keeps all His bones; not one of them is broken."

Jesus at once appears. We learn from this particular, to seek Him throughout these hymns. He never is far distant from the eye of faith. When He was lifted up on the cross, the soldiers drew near to break His legs; but He was marvelously dead, and so they touched Him not. He drank to the dregs the cup of sorrow; but sorrow issued in eternal joy.

Believers tread, also, the path of countless sorrows, but they lead to everlasting rest. No vital injury ensues. The Lord restrains the malice of the foe. There may be many wounds, but they are not to death.

21 ,22. "Evil shall slay the wicked; and those who hate the righteous shall be desolate. The Lord redeems the soul of His servants; and none of those who trust in Him shall be desolate."

The wicked embrace evil. It is a viper which will suck their blood. They greedily drink the cup, but it is deadly poison. Oh! seek the Lord. He gives His Son to be complete redemption. He gives the joy of His presence now. There is now no lonely day, and soon there will be union to the vast company of the countless saved. May we be there!

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2006, 06:42:10 PM »

Psalm 35

Appeal is made to God for help. Many are our times of need. At all times we have access to our God.

1, 2, 3. "Plead my cause, O Lord, with those who strive with me; fight against those who fight against me. Take hold of shield and buckler, and stand up for my help. Draw out also the spear, and stop the way against those who persecute me; say to my soul, I am your salvation."

Jesus would thus ofttimes cry. None ever felt as He did the bitterness of man's malignity. He earnestly implored that God would maintain His cause. We thus are taught the way of help; and not of help only, but of perfect peace. For no one can disturb the soul, to which God whispers, "I am your salvation."

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. "Humiliate and disgrace those trying to kill me; turn them back in confusion. Blow them away like chaff in the wind—a wind sent by the angel of the Lord. Make their path dark and slippery, with the angel of the Lord pursuing them. Although I did them no wrong, they laid a trap for me. Although I did them no wrong, they dug a pit for me. So let sudden ruin overtake them! Let them be caught in the snare they set for me! Let them fall to destruction in the pit they dug for me."

Thus Jesus prayed. In such prayer we have the clear prediction. Those who plot against Him plot against themselves. Into their own net they rush. Into their own pit they fall. The day draws near when this destruction will be witnessed. Perfect justice will endorse the doom.

9, 10. Then I will rejoice in the Lord. I will be glad because he rescues me. I will praise him from the bottom of my heart; "Lord, who can compare with you? Who else rescues the weak and helpless from the strong? Who else protects the poor and needy from those who want to rob them?"

Present deliverance awakens present praise; but full joy waits for the future. Then joy will not so much regard the overthrow of foes, as the Lord's glory. The lips and every faculty shall sing to Him, who alone rescued from overpowering might. Without God we are weak to stand.

11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16. "Malicious witnesses testify against me. They accuse me of things I don't even know about. They repay me with evil for the good I do. I am sick with despair. Yet when they were ill, I grieved for them. I even fasted and prayed for them, but my prayers returned unanswered. I was sad, as though they were my friends or family, as if I were grieving for my own mother. But they are glad now that I am in trouble; they gleefully join together against me. I am attacked by people I don't even know; they hurl slander at me continually. They mock me with the worst kind of profanity, and they snarl at me."

David's experience foreshadows Jesus. The judgment-hall presents itself to view. We have another proof that Jesus mainly speaks in these inspired hymns. "The testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy." Grace ever seeks to melt by kindness the hardened heart, and to return all evil with abundant good.

17, 18. "How long, O Lord, will you look on and do nothing? Rescue me from their fierce attacks. Protect my life from these lions! Then I will thank you in front of the entire congregation. I will praise you before all the people."

The cross again appears. We hear the earnest cry of the uplifted Jesus; but faith still sees that rescue is at hand. Promises are made that praise shall speak of mercy. When congregations of the faithful meet, and the Spirit works, there is fulfillment.

19, 20, 21. "Let not those who are my enemies wrongfully rejoice over me; neither let them wink with the eye who hate me without a cause. For they do not speak peace; but they devise deceitful matters against those who are quiet in the land. Yes, they opened their mouth wide against me, and said, Aha, Aha! our eye has seen it."

These plaintive sounds are from the cross. It was deep aggravation that the sufferings came from those whom He by dying sought to save. How sad that the requital of such love should be such hate! If such be the treatment of the holy Head, what must the guilty members expect?

22, 23, 24, 25, 26. "This You have seen, O Lord; keep not silence; O Lord, do not be far from me. Stir up Yourself, and awake to my judgment, even to my cause, my God and my Lord. Judge me, O Lord my God, according to Your righteousness; and let them not rejoice over me. Let them not say in their hearts, Ah, so would we have it; let them not say, We have swallowed him up. Let them be ashamed, and brought to confusion together, who rejoice at my hurt; let them be clothed with shame and dishonor who magnify themselves against me."

In these petitions we have assurance of the coming judgment. Jesus is always heard. God will arise. Confusion shall destroy them. Let us feel true compassion when the ungodly rage. Their gnashing of teeth comes on quickly.

27, 28. "Let those shout for joy, and be glad, who favor my righteous cause; yes, let them say continually, Let the Lord be magnified, who has pleasure in the prosperity of His servant. And my tongue shall speak of Your righteousness, and of Your praise, all the day long."

Faith gathers joy and peace from pondering the glorious outcome. The conflict may be long and fierce, but victory is near. The song of triumph soon will be heard. Due glory will be given to God. His righteousness shall be exalted. His praises shall be very high. May our glad voices swell the Conqueror's song!

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2006, 06:45:14 PM »

Psalm 36

Two very diverse views appear. The wickedness of the wicked is very vile. The glory of God shines brightly. May our thoughts rise from earth and rest in heaven!

1. "Sin whispers to the wicked, deep within their hearts. They have no fear of God to restrain them."

There is obscurity in these words; but the truth they seem to teach is, that sin has a voice. It loudly speaks in the vile sinner's course, and the godly have intelligence to hear. Within their heart the echo sounds, that the transgressor does not fear God. Dreadful is this state. The Lord of all power and might is ignored and is defied.

2, 3, 4. "For he flatters himself in his own eyes, until his iniquity is found to be hateful. The words of his mouth are iniquity and deceit; he has left off to be wise, and to do good. He devises mischief upon his bed; he sets himself in a way that is not good; he abhors not evil."

Dark colors are here laid. Conscience is steeped in deadness. The wicked clings to self-deception until discovery reveals his guilt. He shuns the path of holy wisdom. In secret hours he plots iniquity. He devises schemes of evil. No holy dread restrains him from commission. The evil thoughts bear fruits of evil life.

5. "Your mercy, O Lord, is in the heavens; and Your faithfulness reaches to the clouds."

The eye of faith turns quickly from the hateful scene. It seeks relief in God. It looks above, and rejoices in sights of glory. Mercy is seen. It sits enthroned in heaven. It reigns supreme to bless God's happy children. By its side is God's unfailing truth. It pierces the clouds. It is co-inhabitant of the heaven of heavens. Let us delight to lift our gaze, and see mercy and truth pouring down blessings on us!

6. "Your righteousness is like the great mountains; Your judgments are a great deep; O Lord, You preserve man and beast."

Eternal righteousness rules all God's dealings. Ofttimes we are perplexed. We cannot understand the purpose. But nothing can cause God's righteousness to waver. It is fairly rooted as the everlasting hills. It is far easier to uproot their base than to subvert His equity. The orderings of His rule are far beyond our power to fathom. The lines of reason cannot descend into the deep abyss. But all is well. It is our wisdom to trust His heart, when we are too weak to trace His dealings. We see a gracious hand preserves all living beings. The least of His creatures receive food. His care will not fail us.

7. "How excellent is Your lovingkindness, O God! therefore the children of men put their trust under the shadow of Your wings."

No tongue can adequately praise God's loving mercies. They exceed all praise. They are inscribed on providential dealings. They are written in letters of gold throughout the Gospel-page. Who in the Spirit's light can see the Cross, and not exclaim, Our God is Love! Attractive power goes forth, and allures to Him for shelter from every enemy; for comfort at every moment. May our chosen home be shelter by His side!

8. "They shall be abundantly satisfied with the fatness of Your house; and You shall make them drink of the river of Your pleasures."

What precious joys await true faith! A feast is spread, super-abounding in spiritual delight. The Word, the promises, the ordinances present enriching food. A river never dry, ever full and ever flowing, invites to constant draughts of pleasure. Let us scorn the broken cistern of this world's vanity, and dwell beside these heavenly streams until we reach the land, in which the Lamb, who is in the midst of the throne, shall feed us, and shall lead us to living fountains of water.

9. "For with You is the fountain of life; in Your light shall we see light."

In the world is barren emptiness. It holds nothing; therefore, nothing can it yield. But God in Christ is an unfathomable spring of life. Life spiritual and eternal flow in deep streams from Him. Oh! let us drink; let us drink freely and abundantly, and thus live in joy, and live forever.

10, 11, 12. "O continue Your lovingkindness to those who know You; and Your righteousness to the upright in heart. Let not the foot of pride come against me, and let not the hand of the wicked remove me. There are the workers of iniquity fallen; they are cast down, and shall not be able to rise."

Assurance restrains not, but rather quickens, prayer. Continuance of love is sought while it is known that love can never fail. But let it never be forgotten that these prospects belong only to the happy seed, who receive God as reconciled in Christ; who know Him as their Father, and walk before Him in pure truth. While we pray constantly for deliverance from the assaults of wicked men, we may look onward to the time when all their evil shall have ended. They shall fall and never more rise. If we are made to differ, let us sing praises to God's free grace!

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2006, 06:46:43 PM »

Psalm 37

The temporal prosperity of wicked men soon vanishes. True happiness is the portion of the godly. May such be our lot!

1, 2. "Do not fret because of evil-doers, neither be envious against the workers of iniquity; For they shall soon be cut down like the grass, and wither as the green herb."

Wisdom here speaks from the high throne. Prosperity may smile at the bright circumstances of the wicked. But let not our eyes view grudgingly. How long will it continue? Their mirthful day is as the life of the frail grass. Its greenness is for a little moment; it soon dies.

3, 4, 5, 6. "Trust in the Lord, and do good; so shall you dwell in the land, and verily you shall be fed. Delight yourself also in the Lord; and He shall give you the desires of your heart. Commit your way to the Lord; trust also in Him, and He shall bring it to pass. And He shall bring forth your righteousness as the light, and your judgment as the noon-day."

We see here the path in which true blessedness abounds. It is here depicted as unwavering faith—the exercise of every Christian grace, the choice of God as all delight, and total surrender of our ways to Him. Then no good thing will be withheld. Every holy desire will be gratified. God will maintain our cause. No clouds of calumny shall obscure our righteous dealings. Our integrity shall brightly shine as the sun at midday.

7, 8. "Rest in the Lord, and wait patiently for Him; do not fret because of him who prospers in his way, because of the man who brings wicked devices to pass. Cease from anger, and forsake wrath; fret not yourself in anyway to do evil."

The happiest posture of the soul is calm repose in God—a patient trust in His all-ruling hand. The natural heart may feel the stir of irritation, when evil plans obtain success. Let grace prevail to deaden such motions, and to guide far from outbreaks of vexation.

9, 10, 11. "For evil-doers shall be cut off; but those who wait upon the Lord, they shall inherit the earth. For yet a little while, and the wicked shall not be; yes, you shall diligently consider his place, and it shall not be. But the meek shall inherit the earth; and shall delight themselves in the abundance of peace."

Envy will die, if the true end of evil be remembered. Their transient joy leads to uttermost woe. Their little flare subsides in blackness of darkness forever. But what sweet prospects shine before the meek servants of the Lord! What precious promises allure them! We look for the new heavens and the new earth, where righteousness dwells. We know that yet a little while and He who shall come will come, and will not tarry. Then the kingdoms of this world shall become the kingdoms of the Lord and of His Christ, and we shall reign with Him forever and ever!

12, 13, 14, 15. "The wicked plots against the just, and gnashes upon him with his teeth. The Lord shall laugh at him; for He sees that his day is coming. The wicked have drawn out the sword, and have bent their bow, to cast down the poor and needy, and to slay such as are of upright conversation. Their sword shall enter into their own heart, and their bows shall be broken."

We are tempted to repine when all is bright around the wicked. We are more tempted to despond when their malignity is rampant. But how different will be our feeling when we discern that all their malice is their own injury! The Lord's hand so rules their violence, that their blows fall on themselves; their swords are sheathed in their own hearts; they fight against themselves; they shall fall self-slain. When faith sees things in true light, it will be no more sad. No fears will trouble. Security will be realized.

16, 17. "A little that a righteous man has is better than the riches of many wicked. For the arms of the wicked shall be broken; but the Lord upholds the righteous."

The blessing of the Lord gives worth to riches, and dignifies the poorest lot. With the Lord's smile the humble table is rich; without it the tables of the wealthy contain no comfort. Soon the wicked will be crushed, while the righteous rise to glory!

18, 19, 20. "The Lord knows the days of the upright; and their inheritance shall be forever. They shall not be ashamed in the evil time; and in the days of famine they shall be satisfied. But the wicked shall perish, and the enemies of the Lord shall be as the fat of lambs; they shall consume; into smoke shall they consume away."

All good is pledged to the sons of God in time and through eternity. The plenty granted to the wicked only fattens them for the day of slaughter. As curling smoke soon vanishes, so shall they disappear. May these warnings not be lost! May the Spirit bring the promises with power to our hearts!

21, 22. "The wicked borrows and does not repay; but the righteous shows mercy and gives. For such as are blessed of Him shall inherit the earth; and those who are cursed of Him shall be cut off."

If abundance flows into the coffers of the wicked, it soon flows out; destitution then comes in. Help from others must be sought; and dishonesty holds back repayment. The righteous, from his humble store, is able to be kind and generous. The blessing of the Lord is on them, and shall place them as heirs of that world where all things are new. But the curse devotes the wicked to eternal woe.

cont

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the