Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:47:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286777 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Apologetics (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Is Mohandas Gandhi in HELL?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is Mohandas Gandhi in HELL?  (Read 10168 times)
vicjr

I'm a penguin!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2003, 12:04:55 AM »

Gandhi was quoted as saying (and I paraphrase) I would have gladly embraced Christianity, except I find it to be hypocritical. Too bad, because he would have been a asset to the Kingdom.

None of us were at his side when he died, so we are not sure if he ever accepted Jesus as Lord and Savior.

"The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen."
vicjr

I'm a penguin!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2003, 12:10:47 AM »

I stand corrected. Here is what he said...

"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."

"The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen."
Early57

It is me

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2003, 12:15:07 AM »

I was a child at one time and we played the game Hide and seek.  I loved that game.  But there was one thing that was requried for the game to be successful; You had to find something that was bigger then you to hide behind.

So if Ghandi hid behind the Hypocrytes as his excuse for not accepting Jesus then he had to be smaller then a Hypocryte.
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2003, 12:43:23 AM »

Ah, that is good, Early 57. However, the thing with Religions and Philosophy is anything can be proven by adding on paper, but when it gets out in the real world, when people try to apply the theories, that is when the true test comes.

What better way for a person who is searching for the true religion (such as Gandhi was) to find it then by watching the religions followers? You can read all the holy texts from a thousand different theologies, but they will not make a lick of different if you don’t see real life experiences.

Instead of blatantly dismissing Gandhi’s beliefs as foolishness, learn from it. Think of how the world would be different if the Christian’s Gandhi had met would have followed Gods commandments! The majority of the citizens of India and South Africa, and countless other Nations might be saved! We must learn from this, otherwise we may end up smaller then a fool. Grin
« Last Edit: May 18, 2003, 12:44:58 AM by Tibby » Logged

Was there ever a time when Common sence was common?
GarColga

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2003, 03:31:35 AM »

Actually there are some passages in scripture that, while not exactly making a case for universal salvation, would seem to make the case for 'Christian Only' salvation a little less than air-tight. Most Christians aren't too interested in a line of inquiry like this because, obviously, universal salvation would tend to make Christianity largely irrelevant.
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2003, 10:45:41 AM »

GarColga- you know better then to say something about the bible hear and NOT give a referrance!  Grin

Where did you find this passage?

GarColga

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2003, 01:16:39 PM »

Actually there a handful of them. I'll only post one because I find 'verse-trading' to be a dubious enterprise at best. Really, scripture can be found to support or refute just about anything.

Luke 3:6 "And all flesh shall see the salvation of God".

Wreck N Sow

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2003, 01:36:18 PM »

Hay theyre
Im not sure where Ghandi might be. I know he had an affair with the old woman Elaine Benes went to see. Weather the latter rain fell upon him and he repented i know not.

Judge no one
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2003, 01:50:30 PM »

You quote a verse that is in mid-sentence!? No wonder you have a twisted view of Christianity. Let me quote you the verse in context:

Luke 3:3-6
He went into all the country around the Jordan, preaching a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins. As is written in the book of the words of Isaiah the prophet:
   "A voice of one calling in the desert, 'Prepare the way for the Lord,  make straight paths for him. Every valley shall be filled in, every mountain and hill made low. The crooked roads shall become straight, the rough ways smooth. And all mankind will see God's salvation.' "

See, the verse you quoted is quoting another verse, which is :

Isaiah 40:3-5

A voice of one calling: "In the desert prepare the way for the LORD; make straight in the wilderness a highway for our God. Every valley shall be raised up, every mountain and hill made low; the rough ground shall become level, the rugged places a plain and the glory of the LORD will be revealed, and all mankind together will see it. For the mouth of the LORD has spoken."

This isn't vague or dubious, it is clear what the verse means. The Glory of God will be revealed, and everyone will see it. Everyone will know of God salvation throw Jesus Christ.

We can give you direct verse, in context, and say Jesus is the only way to heaven, but you have to manipulate and take things out of context to prove your point.

…I find 'verse-trading' to be a dubious enterprise at best. Really, scripture can be found to support or refute just about anything.

Yes, verse trading can be dubious, and scripture and be found to support of refute anything, but only if you play around with the verses like you just did. The chapters and verses were added much later, these books where written to be read as one piece. It is easy to shed light on things, no longer making them dubious, buy reading the whole book. You are going to have to do better then that if you want us to believe that the bible says Jesus is not the only way to heaven!  You are not playing around with moronic baby Christians here, pal. We are for the most part intelligent Christians who read apologetics FOR FUN! You maybe could get way with quoting a dubious verse like that to convince the minor league Christians, but we are some hard-hitting player, kid. Try again, this time with the verse in context.

GarColga

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2003, 02:12:27 PM »

Whatever.
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2003, 02:19:27 PM »

Whatever.

That is all you are going to say? You said you had plenty of verses, let us see them. How about this: next time one of us using simple logical to prove you wrong, and you feel like posting “whatever,” just don’t reply, ok?

Early57

It is me

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2003, 07:32:42 PM »

tibby said
Instead of blatantly dismissing Gandhi’s beliefs as foolishness, learn from it. Think of how the world would be different if the Christian’s Gandhi had met would have followed Gods commandments! The majority of the citizens of India and South Africa, and countless other Nations might be saved! We must learn from this, otherwise we may end up smaller then a fool.  

Well I cannot be smaller then a fool for the fool has said in his heart there is no God and I believe that there is a God and that this same God is the One and Only Jesus.

If the Christians were perfect then we would have no need for Jesus.  There is none rightous, no not one.  So if MG failed the test of looking only to Jesus for salvation, that is his own fault.  the real question is what will LEX do, will he hide behind MG maybe going to hell and thererby join him or will he stand up and see that Jesus is the only way, the only truth and the only life.   I feel sorry for anyone who has rejected Jesus for any reason but I cannot change any of the past.  Only work on the present and future, which I might add LEX still has and MG's is sealed, heaven or Hell.

Good people go to hell because they rejected the only way in.  not because they are good or bad.
Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2003, 07:49:27 AM »

I'm still praying for you Lex, as are a couple of other people on my end.  Are you still struggling?

"that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death"
GodsWordisTruth

Lead me in thy truth, and teach me.

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2003, 01:54:28 AM »

I thought his name was Mahatma Gandhi. And who here has a list of names of those in hell? Just as humans do not have a list of the names in the Book of Life, neither do they know who goes to hell.

Jesus became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him; and God alone knows what is really fair.

Who knows whether a person in his dying moments sees his own helplessness and cries out for salvation in Jesus Christ?

John 17
17   Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.
Corpus
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2003, 08:46:11 AM »

Ghandi relates a tale from his youth about being inspired to visit a Christian church after having read some of the scriptures. His opinion of Christians was shaped forever though after being turned away because of his ethnicity. It's the sort of experience that tends to shape a person.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the