Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:17:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286776 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Politics and Political Issues (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Global Warming
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 42 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Global Warming  (Read 67945 times)
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2007, 04:16:01 PM »

Perhaps when the penguins and start lining the shores of Miami Beach, and the polar bears are eating the environmentalists, they will come to their senses. 

Naww .....

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2007, 04:26:46 PM »

lol...yeah your probably right!  Wouldn't change a thing

Tim

Enslaved in service to Christ
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2007, 09:15:35 PM »

lol...yeah your probably right!  Wouldn't change a thing

Brother Jerry
Global Moderator
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2007, 12:02:36 PM »

"The thing is, for me, I suffered that panic of, what can I do as one person? I think by speaking out I can represent that large population."
In other words.... Let me use my celebrity status to make it seem like I am representing a large population....that large population is of course college kids that come out to a free concert.  What self respecting college kid is going to turn down a free concert....honestly they would attend the concert even if the main goal was NAMBLA.

Sincerely
Brother Jerry

------
I am like most fathers.  I, like most, want more for my children than I have.

I am unlike most fathers.  What I would like my children to have more of is crowns to lay at Jesus feet.
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2007, 02:12:55 PM »

Perhaps when the penguins and start lining the shores of Miami Beach

How about bananas?? Grin Grin Grin

2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2007, 02:18:28 PM »

Penguins, Bananas, makes no difference.......lol

Tim

Enslaved in service to Christ
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2007, 04:29:59 PM »

Group Calls for Population Control to Stop Global Warming
By Monisha Bansal
CNSNews.com Staff Writer
April 18, 2007

(CNSNews.com) - Ahead of Earth Day on Sunday, an advocacy group warned that the United States is ignoring "the most crucial factor in reducing global warming" -- population control.

"Human population growth is the paramount environmental issue," Ric Oberlink, a spokesman for Californians for Population Stabilization, told Cybercast News Service.

"Global warming is a very serious problem, but it is a subset of the overpopulation problem," he said.

Oberlink argued that an increase in the emission of "greenhouse gases" -- carbon dioxide and other gases blamed for climate change -- is a result of human activity, "like most environmental problems."

Although one part of the equation is what people do, he said, the other part is how many there are.

"If we had half as many people, we wouldn't have much of a climatic warming problem," argued Oberlink.

"Many have noted the disproportionate impact of America on greenhouse emissions and rightly called for reduced emissions. But it's hypocritical to say that the problem is that Americans consume too much and then say it doesn't matter how many Americans there are."

According to the population group, Americans are "by far the most voracious consumers and the greatest producers of greenhouse gases per capita of any nation on earth."

And the U.S. population, it says, "has been doubling every 40 years and is headed for one billion before the end of this century."

"No matter how clever and inventive human technology can be, it will be overwhelmed by the explosive multiplication of unrelenting population growth," asserted Randy Alcorn, a senior writing fellow at Californians for Population Stabilization.

"While it may be beneficial to replace incandescent light bulbs with fluorescent light bulbs, it would be more effective towards salvaging the planet to turn on light bulbs in minds darkened by political expediency and religious dogma," he said.

"Those who surrender reason to religious and political doctrine and push the rubble of their misguided convictions into the path of prudent population reduction policies are complicit in condemning an entire planet to doom," said Alcorn.

Oberlink criticized environmental groups for not addressing population growth.

"Today, major environmental groups seldom discuss population growth," he said. "They have become increasingly politically correct and increasingly ineffective in protecting the environment.

"It's easier to single out targets like Big Oil and Big Detroit instead of calling for changes in personal behavior or taking on a tough issue like population growth with its concomitant connection to volatile issues like immigration or access to birth control," Oberlink said.

Environmental Defense, the World Resources Institute and the Union of Concerned Scientists did not respond to invitations to react to the criticism of green campaign groups.

But pro-family organizations take issue with the population control arguments.

"While there is growing consensus that the earth is warming slightly, there is no consensus that humans are the main cause," the Family Research Council said in a statement.

"Those pushing global warming are proposing a radical agenda as the solution to a problem that is not yet fully understood," it said.

"In part, this solution calls for population control, which is code for abortions, condom distribution and mass sterilization," said the FRC.

Group Calls for Population Control to Stop Global Warming

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2007, 04:31:05 PM »

This is the moment the eugenisists have been waiting for.... Cry

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugenics

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2007, 04:36:04 PM »

It is also one more reason for the pro-abortionists to substantiate their actions. It is full of garbage just as the whole global warming garbage is. The hottest recorded temperatures in history came at a time when the earth's population was significantly smaller than it is today and technology was far from today's CO2 emitters.

These people need to get a life, a life with God.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2007, 05:02:21 PM »

These people need to get a life, a life with God.

AMEN

Faithin1
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2007, 12:55:16 PM »

Another Amen!

Heb. 11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. 
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2007, 08:10:56 PM »

The Global Warming Jihad

by Butler Shaffer

For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not believe, no explanation is possible.

~ Anonymous

In my college days, I was introduced to a book, written in 1841 by Charles Mackay. Titled Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds, it remains a worthwhile chronicle – at least through the mid-nineteenth century – of some of the consequences of mankind’s periodic collapses into mass-mindedness. If Mackay was around today, he would be able to devote a chapter to the emergence of the latest secular religion: environmentalism.

It is a common mistake for people to assume that religious faith and fervor are qualities to be found only within institutionally-structured churches with formal doctrines and rituals. They are to be found, in varying degrees, within all belief systems, be they secular or theistic in nature. The polar opposite philosophies of Marxism and Ayn Rand’s Objectivism – both of which openly condemned traditional religion – are, themselves, grounded in a faith in various central propositions. True-believers of these doctrines who voiced doubt as to any of the underlying premises, have been subjected to purges as enthusiastically conducted as medieval trials for heresy.

I am a strong defender of the processes of scientific inquiry. And yet, I am aware that most scientists cling to a faith in conclusions that have been widely accepted within their respective communities, and angrily react against any heresies – however well-documented and reasoned – that arise from skeptical minds. When British biologist Rupert Sheldrake’s book, A New Science of Life, was published, the science journal, Nature, editorially described it as “a book for burning?” Nor did most members of the scientific world openly embrace the views of the brilliant science philosopher, Paul Feyerabend, who challenged the idea that there was “a” scientific method. He was of the view that a variety of strategies – including luck, accidents, dream interpretation, fraud, mistakes, and intuition – had played major roles in scientific discoveries. He advocated a theoretical anarchism in the search for truth, believing that such an approach was more consistent with human nature than was adherence to rigid rules of inquiry.

I am equally a defender of speculative thinking, wherein emotions, intuitive insights, and an awareness of the need for inner, spiritual expression, inform our empirically-based searches for “truth” about ourselves and the world in which we live. We spend far too little time examining the epistemological basis for our thinking. The question “how do we know what we know” is rarely taken up even by the more intelligent among us. Most of us prefer the leisurely approach to understanding; relying upon self-styled “experts,” or the outcome of public opinion polls, to advise us of the opinions we are to embrace.

Nowhere is this tendency more evident than in the current secular faith in the causes of, and cures for, global warming. Many who eagerly attack the theistically-based religious views of others, have erected their own temporal icons and composed an alternative set of catechisms in furtherance of their creed. The rest of us are expected to accept, without any heretical doubts, that the prophesies of some scientists reflect a core of certainty within the scientific community as firmly grounded as the heliocentric cosmology. Those scientists who doubt the revealed faith, we are told, are but a handful of ignoramuses at such places as Backwater College or Boll Weevil State.

Perhaps it is the lawyer-side of me that insists upon people presenting evidence for their allegedly empirical statements. Using such a standard has led me to conclude that the Earth is, indeed, currently undergoing global warming; and that it has undergone fluctuations between periods of “cooling” and “warming” since long before humans appeared on the planet. Indeed, astronomers report that other planets – particularly Mars – are experiencing similar climate changes as those of Earth. Unless the apostles of the global warming orthodoxy are prepared to lay the blame for Mars’ increased temperatures and melting ice caps on a transmigration of human-generated entropic wastes, factual evidence would suggest looking beyond Earth, itself, for explanations.

My interest in the study of “chaos” and complexity also reminds me that complex systems are influenced by far too many variables of unknown and incalculable factors to permit reliable predictions. Nowhere is this more evident than in efforts to predict local weather. Indeed, the study of chaos was precipitated when MIT professor, Edward Lorenz, used computers to experiment with weather forecasting in the early 1960s. Lorenz discovered what all of us who have tried to make long-term plans for picnics have learned: predicting the weather is quite unreliable beyond two to three days time. There are simply too many unknown and unknowable factors influencing the weather.

This fact, alone, renders ludicrous a statement offered by Dr. Heidi Cullen, the climate expert at The Weather Channel. Directing her attention to the differences of opinion over the causes of global warming, Dr. Cullen has reportedly proposed that meteorologists who deviate from the established orthodoxy of human-caused global warming should be defrocked of their American Meteorological Association indicia of expertise. The global-warming faith is grounded in the illusion that a system of such immeasurable complexity – hence, variability – as climate, can nonetheless be rendered predictable over centuries of time. What a remarkable presumption, coming from one whose profession cannot accurately predict next week’s weather, but who insists upon a sufficient omniscience regarding the causal factors that reach across the millennia to warrant purging those who disagree with her opinions.

Not to be overlooked in his efforts to ferret out heresies, the governor of Oregon, Ted Kulongoski, wants to remove George Taylor from his present position as “State Climatologist.” Taylor – a prolific writer on weather and climate – uttered the blasphemy that “most of the climate changes we have seen up until now have been a result of natural variations.” Those who believe that there is a separation of “religion” and “state” in America confuse form over substance.

Our culture has been so dominated by scientism that there is a tendency to equate scientific conclusions with objective reality. In his “uncertainty principle,” Werner Heisenberg advised us of the fact that the observer is an integral part of what is being observed. The myth of the “impartial” and “objective” observer is no longer taken seriously by thoughtful people. I may be most sincere in my efforts to cut through appearances and get to the core of an important “truth,” but it remains my choice as to what to study, and it is my thinking that sets up the inquiry and evaluates my observations. We are unavoidably a part of what we are studying.

Cont'd next post

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2007, 08:12:24 PM »

One way in which confusion arises from this interplay is found in the oft-used tool of “modeling.” Using prior learning – which the study of complexity reminds us is inherently limited – scientists will create models that seek to extrapolate present conditions into the future. One of the better-known examples of this practice was found in Thomas Malthus’ theory that because food supplies can only increase arithmetically, while population increases geometrically, massive starvation was the ultimate fate of mankind unless other population-restricting forces intervened. That such a view failed to account for the unpredicted capacity of technology to expand food production, has not diminished faith in the capacity of scientists to create models that presage the future.

But models do not equate with empirical evidence. As Heisenberg’s principle warns us, models can do no more than project a present limited understanding into the future. Even apart from a consideration as to the causes of global warming – about which there is a decided debate amongst reputable scientists, no matter how much foot-stomping to the contrary – model-building provides no more than a possible theory to be tested against reality. Those who wish to explore this topic in more detail are invited to read the recent book of two geologists – Orrin Pilkey and Linda Pilkey-Jarvis – titled Useless Arithmetic: Why Environmental Scientists Can’t Predict the Future. The authors illustrate the absurd reaches of this faith in modeling in referring to a federal court decision that required assurances of safety for the disposal of radioactive wastes that extended from 300,000 to 1 million years into the future! The idea that modern-day models can predict outcomes 1 million years hence – a capacity that would have to anticipate earthquakes, plate tectonics, climate changes, the Earth being hit by asteroids, and/or solar eruptions – is a power that would nowhere be so dangerous as in the hands of people who fashioned themselves capable of such a task.

Ah, but such omniscient capacities are precisely what the global-warming faithful imagine themselves to possess. Unlike most traditional religions that have historically been content to function without the strong arm of the state behind them, the global warmingists want to turn theirs into a state religion. In the very nature of human beings as producers of carbon dioxide, they have found an “original sin” to be eradicated. (Forget that plants – the foundation upon which all of life depends – are as dependent upon our carbon dioxide as we are upon the oxygen they provide.) I suspect that their version of the “Ten Commandments” greatly exceeds that number.

Nor can we overlook the aura of sainthood in which its spiritual leader, Al Gore, has been enshrouded. There is little questioning, among the faithful, of his reportedly raking in anywhere from $50,000 to $100,000 per lecture – and reportedly receiving a $250,000 speaking fee in Saudi Arabia – nor of the enormous energy costs of maintaining his mansion in Tennessee. It is enough that he is the anointed one, a role he played to perfection when, at the Academy Awards, people were eager to touch the man. I was surprised that young mothers didn’t bring their babies to the stage to be blessed by him.

When I voice my own doubts – grounded in the dissenting opinions offered by many hundreds of scientists as to the human causes of global warming – I receive the standard response: “have you seen Al Gore’s film?” Donald Miller had an excellent article a few weeks ago surveying the literature of opposition to the established dogma. I e-mailed his article to a global warmingist colleague of mine, who responded that Prof. Miller only taught in a medical school. “And a political hack like Al Gore is credible?,” I asked.

The religious nature of the global warming cult also finds expression in the purchase of “carbon offsets,” with which to compensate for excessive CO2 production. This practice has been likened, by some, to the medieval church practice of selling “indulgences.” And like many other religions, this emerging sect has its own version of an apocalypse, with mankind facing a cosmic cataclysm unless we humans end our sinful ways and embrace the secular theology.

To understand the roots of this new religion, one need only go back to the earlier gospel from whence these true believers migrated. It is no coincidence, I believe, that the environmental cult arose at about the same time that the earlier faith in state economic planning was unable to withstand the pragmatic power of the marketplace as the generator of material well-being. Environmentalism provided an alternative vehicle for those whose principal ambition lay in controlling the lives and property of their fellow humans. There was some initial uncertainty expressed over whether we faced an incipient global “cooling” or “warming,” but there was no absence of faith in their underlying cause: to extend coercive control over all of humanity. If you doubt this assessment, consider the common interventionist mindset that has driven both socialist and environmental planners.

As regular readers of my articles may recall, I am a confirmed agnostic when it comes to other people’s cosmologies and earthly utopias, treating all with an energized skepticism. I believe that each of us has a deep need for spiritual experiences, and as long as men and women are content to search their souls and the world about them for their vision without brandishing weapons to compel my adherence to their views, I eagerly support their liberty to pursue such inquiries. I regard it as my contribution to the atmosphere of mutual tolerance upon which free and peaceful societies depend.

I begin to get uneasy, however, when the drum-beating and flag-waving herald a new crusade in which my family and the rest of mankind are to be conscripted. The same fear-mongering that caused most Americans to believe that unseen, sinister forces sought to destroy America with imaginary “weapons of mass destruction,” is now being employed to convince all of humanity of an even deadlier specter: mankind itself. It is time for childish minds to give up their fears of bogeymen, and to stop worshipping those who have nothing more to offer us than a pack of new and improved scarecrows!

The Global Warming Jihad

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2007, 09:00:33 PM »

Global Warming; The Other Side

Mark your calendars!!

Next Wednesday (May 2nd) on Glenn Beck (Headline News), he will be devoting his entire show to the other side of "An Inconvenient Truth". He's on at 6:00 pm central time.

On his show tonight, a couple kids emailed him saying their school is making all the kids watch this movie but are not presenting the other side of the story. If you have kids experiencing the same thing, you may want to consider watching/recording this so they can have ammo to combat this slanted view should that have to do a paper on this.

Here is an email from the Glenn Beck show.

"Exposed: Climate of Fear

Here in New York City we’ve had about 4 nice, sunny days in a row and already I hear people complaining about the heat. “Man, what happened to spring…it’s as hot as summer” ... "I actually had to put the air conditioner on last night…in April!” It’s official--we’ve become a nation of whiners and complainers.

I mean, yes—people who live and work in New York City are a unique variety of cry babies, but still. What happened to the strength and stamina of our grandparents and their grandparents? What about the Americans who settled the West and had to make the month’s long journey across the country fighting off disease and Indian attacks? Something tells me you didn’t hear a lot of talk along the wagon trail about it being, “not so much the heat, but the humidity.”

So I say enjoy this delightful weather and all the mild sweatiness that goes along with it. Face it, if me and my multiple chins can take it, so can you. And don’t blame “global warming!” If you haven’t heard me yammer on about how it’s more science fiction than science fact, be sure to tune in on May 2nd for our next big TV special…“Exposed: Climate of Fear.” We do a lot more than just make fun of the perennially fat and occasionally bearded Al Gore (but don’t worry—there’s still plenty of that!)."

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2007, 02:08:45 PM »

Global warming skeptic hopes to diffuse senators' alarm over melting in Greenland

Melting ice on the arctic island of Greenland poses no threat to the earth, says a U.S. congressional staffer. He hopes to convince his fellow travelers of that this weekend during a journey northward.

Marc Morano, a spokesman for Senator Jim Inhofe (R-Oklahoma), will be traveling on Senator Barbara Boxer's (D-California) global warming trip to Greenland. Senator Boxer will be heading the congressional "fact-finding" trip to ostensibly see first-hand the alleged effects of manmade global warming on Greenland and how it is going to theoretically cause catastrophic sea-level rise in New York, Florida, and other coastal areas. Several senators from the Environment and Public Works Committee that she chairs will also join Boxer, as will Morano -- a global-warming skeptic.

Morano says in a pre-briefing for the trip that the two scientists selected by the Democratic majority acknowledged all temperature changes and glacial melting in Greenland is within natural climate variability.

"In fact, the scientist at this meeting admitted that [in] the 1920s and 1930s the temperature warmed up as fast or faster than it currently is -- in that there is nothing at the moment to be alarmed about Greenland. It all comes down to unproven computer models of the future and how much you believe them," explains Morano.

The congressional staffer also makes note that a top U.N. scientist recently said half of the variables in the U.N. computer models are unknown. Morano points out that Greenland is contributing "almost undetectable amounts to sea-level rise." He also points out that Antarctica is actually reducing sea-level rise, so that in a sense Antarctica and Greenland balance each other out.

"Also keep in mind that during the Middle Ages Greenland was named Greenland because it was green. The Vikings settled it -- and that was long before the age of [the] SUV or coal-powered electric plant(s)," observes Morano.

Other observations by Morano include that the trip will not be an eco-friendly one. The delegation will be flying a large military plane to Greenland, then chartering a plane, helicopters, and then a boat out in a fjord, and reversing that to return home.

Morano also makes arguments that Greenland is actually gaining ice in its interior but losing ice on the exterior, which is essentially how a glacier grows.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 04:08:41 PM by Pastor Roger » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 42 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the