Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:21:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286776 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  General Theology (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Do you believe in miracles?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Do you believe in miracles?  (Read 8750 times)
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« on: April 16, 2006, 09:58:39 PM »

When science stops, faith has a chance to take hold. Case in point: Couple credit God for cancer recovery

By David Smith

Picture the ideal family in your head and you might see Tom and Allison Holden in their cozy country home with their dual professional careers, two loving boys, and the health to enjoy all that life has to offer.

Nine years ago, their picture was anything but ideal. A malignant melanoma in Tom's body, which twice had been treated, reappeared. Only this time, tumors had spread to his brain, abdomen, leg and neck.

The Holdens, who live outside Rossville, visited prestigious medical centers, but doctors told them there was no cure. Instead of living to have that second child they'd hoped for, it seemed Tom Holden would be lucky to see his first son Kirk's fourth birthday.

And then it happened, a cure so improbable, and yet complete, the Holdens consider it nothing less than a miracle. While advanced medicine played a major role in the recovery, so did prayer, faith and God, they said.

"I think that God led us to the doctor that could help me," Tom Holden says. His wife agreed: "We felt it was a miracle because we had three major institutions tell us to plan the funeral. He was at death's door."

In a world of constantly advancing technology, it's a wonder so many people still believe in miracles. Even science-trained people like the Holdens -- he holds a pharmacy degree from Purdue and she a pharmacy degree from University of North Carolina -- credit God for providing hope, if not outright cures, where science fails.

Easter miracle

According to Michael Bergmann, Purdue associate professor of philosophy, a miracle is "an event that is not governed by laws of nature and is caused by God." He talks about miracles in his philosophy of religion class.

The belief in miracles is never so apparent as at Easter, a celebration of what many Christians consider to be the ultimate miracle, Jesus Christ rising from the dead.

"If there were no miracles, then this belief in the resurrection of Jesus, crucial to the Christian faith, would be false," he said.

Whether or not miracles are real is not the focus of his class, nor of science, he said. Bergmann said the persistence of belief in miracles may be because it's "hard for science to rule out the possibility of miracles."

Still, others look to natural laws -- the basic tenets of chemistry, physics and other branches of science -- to explain away phenomena others consider to be miracles. Sometimes, the skeptics are religious believers themselves.

One year after the death of Pope John Paul II, an effort is under way for his canonization to sainthood in the Roman Catholic Church. The road to sainthood must include documentation of two separate miracles.

Vatican investigators still are looking into the case of a French nun who is believed to have been cured of Parkinson's disease through the intercession of the late pope, two months after his death on April 2, 2005. If the miracle is confirmed, the pope will be beatified, the first step toward possible canonization.

The Rev. Timothy Alkire, pastor of St. Boniface Church in Lafayette, said he believes in miracles.

"Be careful to not call every answered prayer a miracle," he said. "We must be prudent."

Alkire has visited Our Lady of Lourdes Shrine in Lourdes, France. It is the site of reported visits to a teenager, Bernadette Soubirous, by the Virgin Mary in 1858. Millions visit the shrine each year, many seeking cures through the intercession of St. Bernadette.

"You find people who have lost all hope because of news that they have an incurable disease," Alkire said. "There is an intense spirit of prayer there, whether they receive a miracle or not."

Alkire said God can intervene in "extraordinary ways."

"Why do modern people want to downplay miracles?" he said. "For us Catholics, it is a completely different supernatural realm."

Thing of the past?

Pastor Steve Viars of Faith Baptist Church in Lafayette said he does not believe in miracles as commonly defined.

"In the most technical sense, a miracle is a direct and immediate intervention of God into the physical world to publicly demonstrate his power," he said.

"As such, it comprises an act of special revelation. I believe that special revelation ceased when the Bible was completed. So in this sense, I do not believe miracles are still occurring today."

Viars said when people today talk about a miracle, they mean "God's providence."

"In other words, the event is unusual, unexpected, out of the ordinary," he said. "In that sense, I certainly believe God is providentially involved in the lives of people today."

Tested faith

That may best describe how Allison and Tom Holden view his cure from cancer after respected medical centers, including Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., told them nothing could be done.

It was while visiting Mayo Clinic that the Holdens heard of an experimental treatment involving the AIDS drug interferon.

They called a hot line (800-4-CANCER) and received in the mail information about the treatment program. They called the doctor at Lutheran General Hospital in Park Ridge, Ill.

The treatment began on April 3 -- Easter Day -- 1997. As the drugs boosted Holden's immune system, the tumors began to fade and eventually went away.

The Holdens said the doctor told them that only 12 percent of patients on the program are tumor-free after five years. As of the eight-year mark last June, he was still tumor-free, and the doctor considers him fully recovered.

Holden's bout with cancer tested his faith in God, but ultimately it was his faith that helped him survive, both he and his wife believe. They are active in their church, and he gives talks about his experience to groups when asked.

"When I really felt God spoke, I had been up all night. I felt a real peace that everything would work out," he said.

Tom Holden turns 49 today.

"I didn't think I'd see my 40th birthday, much less my 49th."

Note:

"In the most technical sense, a miracle is a direct and immediate intervention of God into the physical world to publicly demonstrate his power," he said.

All anyone needs to do is to look around them and they would see that there are many such miracles. Our very existance here, the earth, the sky and all that is, all is a miracle performed by God.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
RKJ

Because He lives, I can face tommorrow!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006, 02:29:50 PM »

I guess all Christians do beleive in miracles Jesus did.  Perhaps the topic ought to be "......miracles these days"!

Yes I do beleive and experience them often!  Howoever, I beleive that everyday there are hidden miracles in our lives.  We do not know how many times Jesus saved our lives on the road and so on!  I am sure there is gonna be a movie about me in heaven that includes all the hidden "incidences" or even spiritual warfare, with Jesus sitting beside explaining each and everyone of them for eternity, for there are many...
RKJ

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 10:25:05 AM »

Topics end with me Embarrassed

I knew I was wet,  but am I that damp Embarrassed !!!!

Somebody, please share and blot this reputation off me Undecided

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2006, 10:36:26 AM »

Topics end with me Embarrassed

I knew I was wet,  but am I that damp Embarrassed !!!!

Somebody, please share and blot this reputation off me Undecided

Maybe no one else responded because you had covered it so well.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
RKJ

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2006, 12:32:33 PM »

Pr Roger you are really a pick-up man!  Praise the Lord!!!
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Early In The Morning I Will Praise The Lord

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2006, 01:32:35 PM »

RKJ, we live in the physical realm, however all around us there is a spirituaal realm which we cannot see. As you said we have no idea how many miracles have happened because they may have happened in the spiritual realm. I beleive miracle happen in the physical realm as well as in the spiritual realm. I can prove to you that miracles have happened in my own life. For example my youngest child had a code red called on her in an ER three different times. She was clinically dead on all three occasions, no signs of life whatsoever, yet God heard my prayers and He casused a miracle to happen on each of these three occasions. Seven years ago, I had a blood clot that was 3 and a half inches long, in an artery and to top it off it was free floating. The doctor told my husband that I was lucky to be alive, he said I should have died 3 months prior to that. My husband corrected the doctor and said "My wife is not lucky, she is blessed, God has done a miracle and kept her alive." There are many other occasions that I can tell you when things have happened that some people might consider coincidence or luck, but I call them miracles.  Cheesy

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
RKJ

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2006, 02:22:25 PM »

airiam2worship,

I have been numb and depressed most part of my life that I have missed out on most of the things God has done for me and family.  Now, though I am all eyes and ears to what God is doing.  For instance, last week my brother was driving car on a highway and another car overtook so close that side view mirror got smashed.  The same happened the last week when my sister was driving in the city. 

i dont know if you would call these miracles.  As far as my knowledge goes, 'miracles releive people from something in super natural ways'.

If you would call these miracles then my life is full of them.  In my incapabilities God has filled life with His capability to do wonders. 

Just to adda funny one!  Most Schools in our country use rod in the classroom.  We get chastised often!!  Once when I was in my 9th year of schooling (about 15yrs old) our maths exam paper was being distributed.  The teacher is such a man that those who scored 99% were beaten for not scoring 100% and you can imagine what I would get (<40%)!!  I was in the line and I was praying so hard that the class will be over and I be spared.  But there was no way that the class would end in about 15 minutes and i was getting close to the cane!  When my turn was next (there was 10 more minutes to go), suddenly i heard the bell ring.  To my amazement it was about time!!  Till date I wonder how that was possible!! Shocked

Will share serious ones in future!!

« Last Edit: April 21, 2006, 02:26:32 PM by RKJ » Logged
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2006, 02:45:26 PM »

RKJ thank you for sharing these moments with me. Let me tell you one nore. When I lived in Jacksonville, I lived near a very busy and congested state road, there was a very dangerous intersction, where two accidents a day were not uncommon. That was the way my husband usually took on his way home from work. My husband always came home at the same time every day about 6:20 pm.
One day, as I was reading my Bible, around 3pm, I felt this urgent need to get on my knees and pray, I had no idea why, but the feeling was so urgent that I just thru myself on the floor and began to pray. I didn't know what I was supposed to pray for, or who I was supposed to pray for, all I knew was that I HAD to pray. As I laid on the floor I was just telling God that I didn't know what was going on, but He did and I was being obedient. Immediately I felt I had to pray for a family member I still didn't know who. I knew that my grandchildren would be on a school bus about that time so I started to pray for each of them, then I started praying for my children, because I felt maybe it was one of them, I still felt the need to continue to pray, so I began to pray for my husband. After about five minutes into the praying I started to feel a release, like a load was lifted off my chest. I began to praise God and thankk Him and at around 3:45, my husband pulled into the driveway. I was surprised to see him home so early. He told me he wanted to surprise me and be home no later than 3pm, but he got caught up at work and didn't leave until 3:15. "Then," he said, "just as he was getting ready to get in the lane to make a right hand turn another car cut him off almost hit him." This caused the car in front of my husband to swerve, which made the car fall into a ditch that was filled with water." The driver of the car that went in the ditch was not hurt, but if my husband had left a little earlier it could have been him that ended up in the ditch. I think my prayer was for my husband as well as the driver that ended up in the ditch.
I have more miracles I'd like to tell you, but maybe later on.

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
RKJ

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2006, 03:01:35 PM »

Praise God!!

Just one more.  We used to go for a yearly 3 day convention in a village very far off from our city, during summer.  It was conducted in a Bible college which was about 6-10 kilometres away from the highway.  Buses drop us at the highway and we needed to wait for a van from the Bible college to pick us up. 

Our grandma had taken me and two of my sisters.  i was 11 and my sisters 12 and 14.  We were waiting in the hot sun for the van for a long time.  they were many others too.  I and my sister(14) thought we would will reach the college somehow and intimate them to send the van.  We rented a bicycle without realizing how far it would be and how dificult it would be for me to pedal, with her in the carrier.

We just took off with all the adults looking on.  we took turns in pedalling and were exhausted soon enough.  we could not move an inch.  we could not go back also.  Just in time a hefty man came by and put my sister in his bicycle and started to ride on.  i followed him only to realize how far the college was.  When we did reach the college, the man did not come in.  he just dropped us at the gate and stood there watching us till we walked into the reception area. 
everyone there were surprised that two kids could ride on bicycle this far.  We looked at the gate and he was not there!

i and my sister look back and always thank God for the angel he sent!  Or was it Jesus Himself?!!

Well, when the van arrived we were left out on the road with everyone rushing to climb in!!!  That is another story Angry
« Last Edit: April 21, 2006, 03:10:00 PM by RKJ » Logged
Len

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2006, 03:50:22 PM »

Do I believe in miracles? Boy howdy!

I was destined for hellfire and damnation but God Father sent God the Son to take my place on the cross. He defeated death, hell, and the grave. I am now FREE! THAT, my friend, is a miracle! 

And there have indeed been many more miracles. Actually, too numerous to count.

Yep. It's a no-brainer. I believe in miracles.

"The Lord is my portion says my soul. Therefore, I will hope in Him."
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2006, 03:55:23 PM »

Amen. That is indeed a miracle! Praise God for his wondrous Salvation.

doc

Eternal Life begins at salvation - John 5:24

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2006, 08:56:50 PM »

Hello, All,

I not only believe in miracles, I am one.  One week after 9/11, I succumbed to angio vasculitis, a condition similar to a stroke, but much more fatal.  Stress was the only cause doctors could identify in me for the cause of this rare illness.  Watching those planes crash into their targets was the icing on the cake of a stressful life in metro NYC.  This episode was followed by brain lesions - usually fatal as well. 

Today after five weeks in the hospital and intensive (self) rehab I am almost normal.  Some actions are still difficult - like typing - but my recovery is considered miraculous by my Columbia Presbyterian affiliate neurologist.

I never was bashful in evangelism, but now I listen to "the Spirit" carefully and speak the truth in love - not once, either - as often as they will listen.

He always gets the Glory.

doc

Heed the words of Jesus:

"Most assuredly, I say to you, he who hears My word and believes in Him who sent Me has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgment, but has passed from death into life.  John 5:24  NKJV
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2006, 09:14:59 PM »

Hello, All,

I not only believe in miracles, I am one.  One week after 9/11, I succumbed to angio vasculitis, a condition similar to a stroke, but much more fatal.  Stress was the only cause doctors could identify in me for the cause of this rare illness.  Watching those planes crash into their targets was the icing on the cake of a stressful life in metro NYC.  This episode was followed by brain lesions - usually fatal as well. 

Today after five weeks in the hospital and intensive (self) rehab I am almost normal.  Some actions are still difficult - like typing - but my recovery is considered miraculous by my Columbia Presbyterian affiliate neurologist.

I never was bashful in evangelism, but now I listen to "the Spirit" carefully and speak the truth in love - not once, either - as often as they will listen.

doc
AMEN

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2006, 09:24:10 PM »

Amen!

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2006, 06:56:54 AM »

Praise the Lord doc, what a wonderful testimony for our God, nothing is too big or impossible for Him.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the