Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:44:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286804 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  General Theology (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  God's Sabbath Rest
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: God's Sabbath Rest  (Read 22802 times)
Sower

Romans 8:31-39

View Profile
« on: April 16, 2003, 08:10:24 PM »

GOD'S SABBATH REST
God changes not, but His dealings with mankind change according to His own will. That's why He first gave the Old Covenant but also promised the New Covenant, and then established it in Christ. The real problem we have is that even Christians do not understand the power of the New Covenant, and go back and forth trying to mix Law anf Grace.

Regarding God's Sabbath Rest, there is a deep teaching in God's Word which almost no one ever mentions or seems to know about. We know that because God is who He is, He needs no rest or recuperation. The *rest* of God is the Divine satisfaction He derives from knowing that His creation is perfect and His creatures are also perfect. This has happened partially through what Christ has done on the Cross, thus Christ is SEATED at the right hand of the Father. However, it is not altogether complete since He must first subdue all His enemies and then *dissolve* the present atmospheric heaven and earth and create a *new heaven and a new earth*.

Until that is done God's Sabbath remains incomplete. He is now engaged in His redemptive works, and therefore is still active, not at rest. God's creative works and His redemptive works are to be clearly distinguised and understood. Even while God created the first heaven and earth, He knew that sin would enter into the world and that there would be, of necessity, a new heavens and a new earth. He already knew that His sabbath rest would be broken by man's sin, and that He would be *compelled* to create a new heaven and a new earth. So this rest was temporary.

SIN DESTROYED GOD'S SABBATH REST
With regard to His first creation *God saw everything that He had made, and behold it was VERY GOOD [PERFECT]... And on the seventh day God ended His WORK [creative work] which He had made; and He rested on the seventh day from all His WORK WHICH HE HAD MADE* (Gen. 1:31; 2:2).

Almost immediately after this, God began His REDEMPTIVE WORK which goes unnoticed, because it is not stated thus. It would appear that within a very short period from the end of creation, Adam and Eve sinned and were cast of of the garden of Eden. The first redemptive work of God was to provide them with *coats of skins* (Gen. 3:21). This involved the sacrifice of *clean* animals, the shedding of their blood, and the clothing of the sinners, thus establishing the redemptive work of the Lamb of God  which was to come (John 1:29). We know that the Lamb of God was *slain* from the foundation of the world [in God's eyes the cross was an accomplished fact before Adam was created] so God taught Adam and Eve this truth, and they in turn taught it to Cain and Abel. Cain rebelled against salvation by grace through faith in the shed blood of the Lamb, but Abel believed God and it was accounted to him for righteousness (Heb.11:4).

Another redemptive work of God [although it does not so appear] was driving the sinners out of Eden and placing the cherubim at the entrance (Gen. 3:22-24). This was an act ot both righteousness and mercy, since Adam and Eve would not remain in their sin forever.

CHRIST'S REDEMPTIVE WORKS
When the Word of God, the Creator, the Lord Jesus Christ, came to this earth as Jesus of Nazareth, He deliberately *violated* the sabbath-keeping of the Jews. This was to establish an important truth. That while God hallowed the seventh-day sabbath rest, man's sin had broken God's rest, therefore He could not and would not rest until the Lamb of God had finished His work.

That is precisely why Christ healed on sabbath days. It was a healing of both body and soul. And He declared these to be the REDEMPTIVE WORKS of the Father and the Son: "And therefore did the Jews persecute Jesus, and sought to slay Him, because He had done these things on the sabbath day. But Jesus answered them, My Father WORKETH hitherto, and I WORK" (John 5:17). This redemptive work will not be complete until the whole universe is subject to God, and peace and righteousness reign supreme (1 Cor. 15:24-28).

THE BELIEVER'S SABBATH REST
In the meantime, because of the New Covenant, every ordinance of Moses has been abolished, including the seveth-day sabbath. (if you don't think so then study 2 Corinthians 3, Galatians and Hebrews before you respond). The first day of the week is for BOTH worship and rest, the primary emphasis being worship. At the same time EVERY SAINT IS CONTINUOUSLY PARTAKING OF GOD'S SABBATH REST -- THE SATISFACTION WITH WHAT HIS SON HAS ACCOMPLISHED ON THE CROSS.

That's why there is no carnal weekly seventh-day rest any more. The Jews had made a travesty of it, and broke the sabbaths of the land and therefore went into Babylonian captivity. They constantly *polluted* the sabbath of Moses. Study the OT for confirmation.

ENTERING INTO GOD'S REST
So we come to Hebrews chapter 4 and read: "FOR WE WHICH HAVE BELIEVED DO ENTER INTO REST, as He said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they [unbelievers] shall enter into MY REST: although the [creative] works were finished from the foundation of the world... Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of UNBELIEF... There therefore remaineth [abides, continues] A REST TO THE PEOPLE OF GOD. For he that is entered into His rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from His" (Heb. 4:3-10).

In other words, when we stop trying to achieve our salvation with our own works, and simply rest in and on the Lamb of God by faith, we enter into God's rest, which also means we set aside the *works of the Law*, including sabbatarianism.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2003, 08:13:19 PM by Sower » Logged

Grace, mercy, and peace, from God our Father, and Jesus Christ our Lord. 1 Timothy 1:2
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2003, 11:38:40 PM »

Oklahoma Howdy to Sower,

I always enjoy your posts. It's ironic that I am many times studying the same subject you write about. I receive a blessing and understanding from your posts.

Thanks Brother.

In Christ,

BEP

Sower

Romans 8:31-39

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2003, 11:55:50 PM »

Oklahoma Howdy to Sower, I always enjoy your posts. It's ironic that I am many times studying the same subject you write about. I receive a blessing and understanding from your posts. Thanks Brother. In Christ, BEP

Greetings, Brother, and thanks. We may be miles apart but the Holy Spirit leads us in these matters and binds us closer to each other and the Lord. Many blessings on you.

Grace, mercy, and peace, from God our Father, and Jesus Christ our Lord. 1 Timothy 1:2
John the Baptist
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2003, 02:25:34 PM »

GOD'S SABBATH REST
God changes not, but His dealings with mankind change according to His own will. .

(removed for context here & below)

John here:
Just about the time that you appear to get off of the Heb. 5 paciffer', here comes this below *blasphemy! (see Heb. 6:6)You best watch your bobber, it IS GOING DOWN & SINKING! You (? Gen. 4:7 & Eph. 6:12)) are MAKING MY MASTER OUT TO BE A LIAR! GOD/FORBIDE! Read Rev.'s last few verses for the END result of this work.

His (Christ's) Words are about your post in 1 John 2:4 it seems.You do not ONLY SAY THAT YOU KNOW HIM, but you tell the UNIVERSE that ... "HE DELIBERATELY *VIOLATED* THE SABBATH-KEEPING-KEEPING OF THE JEWS". Christ was a SINNER you say!  Sin IS the trangression of the law, and the forth commandment is the center of that law.

Forum: Read Isa. 42:21 for what Christ came to earth to do.

By the way forum, the Holy Spirit that was to bring things to 'our remembrance' also had John pen those of the Master's latter Words of.. "He that saith, I know Him, (LOVE) and keepeth NOT HIS COMMANDMENTS, [IS A LIAR, AND THERE IS *NO TRUTH *IN HIM".] I suspect that this post will be seen in James 2:12 judgement very SHORTLY! try 1 Peter 4:17.

Folks: This ones missive IS very close if not already past the fruit sacrifice of Cain. I suspect that Cain also said Lord, I know you!? (personally, 'i' would not be in this person's shoes for all of the material riches of the universe! Cry Cry  See Obad. 16.
---John

CHRIST'S REDEMPTIVE WORKS
When the Word of God, the Creator, the Lord Jesus Christ, came to this earth as Jesus of Nazareth, He deliberately *violated* the sabbath-keeping of the Jews. ... with our own works, and simply rest in and on the Lamb of God by faith, we enter into God's rest, which also means we set aside the *works of the Law*, including sabbatarianism.

Wreck N Sow

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2003, 01:26:14 PM »

Dear John letter
Hi old buddy. I see your still not taking your valium. Keep standing up for the WORD. Its all we need
John the Baptist
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2003, 09:43:17 PM »

Hi, John here:
Hay, (S.C. talk) am I on the right thread blackeyedpeas Wink

Any how, I have a lot of Baptist friends. Some times we agree on doctrine. Let me quote some real conviction pertaining to the thread?

"To me it seems unaccountable that Jesus, during three years' discussion with His disciples, often conversing with them upon the Sabbath question, discussing it in some of its varius aspects, freeing it from its false (Jewish traditional) gloses, never alluded to any transference of the day; also, that during the forty days of His resurrection life, no such thing was intimated. Nor, so far as we know, did the Spirit, which was given to bring to their remembrance all things whatsoever that He had said unto them, deal with this question. Nor yet did the inspired apostles, in preaching the gospel, founding churches, counceling and instructing those founded, discuss or approach the subject.

Of course I quite well know that Sunday did come into use in early Christian history as a religious day, as we learn  from the Christian fathers and other sources. But what a pity that it comes branded with the MARK of Paganism, and christianed with the name of the sun-god, then adopted and sanctified by the PAPAL APOSTASY, and bequeathed as a sacred legacy to Protestantism."
---Dr. E.T. Hiscox, report of his sermon at the Baptist Minister's Convention, in New York Examiner, November 16, 1893--- He also is the author of the 'Baptist Manual'.    

Read Isaiah 42:21 for part of Christ's mission, and John 9:39-41 for some more.
----John
Oklahoma Howdy to Sower,

I always enjoy your posts. It's ironic that I am many times studying the same subject you write about. I receive a blessing and understanding from your posts.

Thanks Brother.

In Christ,

BEP
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2003, 10:28:14 PM »

Oklahoma Howdy to John the Baptist,

I think we may be thinking on different trains of thought. A Christian can and should have rest and fellowship in Jesus daily, not just one day a week. Under the old covenant, you needed a high priest to serve when you wanted to communicate with God. Under the new covenant, a Christian can pray directly without need of a high priest. Other comparisons might involve blood sacrifice, etc. Go along these thought patterns and you will understand what I am thinking on this thread. The Glorious difference is Jesus and the Gospel of God's Grace.

In Christ.

asaph
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2003, 11:25:42 PM »

1 Timothy 1
3   As I besought thee to abide still at Ephesus, when I went into Macedonia, that thou mightest charge some that they teach no other doctrine,
4   Neither give heed to fables and endless genealogies, which minister questions, rather than godly edifying which is in faith: so do.
5   Now the end of the commandment is charity out of a pure heart, and of a good conscience, and of faith unfeigned:
6   From which some having swerved have turned aside unto vain jangling;
7   Desiring to be teachers of the law; understanding neither what they say, nor whereof they affirm.
8   But we know that the law is good, if a man use it lawfully;
9   Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers,
10   For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine;
11   According to the glorious gospel of the blessed God, which was committed to my trust.

Acts 15
  But there rose up certain of the sect of the Pharisees which believed, saying, That it was needful to circumcise them, and to command them to keep the law of Moses.
6   And the apostles and elders came together for to consider of this matter.
7   And when there had been much disputing, Peter rose up, and said unto them, Men and brethren, ye know how that a good while ago God made choice among us, that the Gentiles by my mouth should hear the word of the gospel, and believe.
8   And God, which knoweth the hearts, bare them witness, giving them the Holy Ghost, even as he did unto us;
9   And put no difference between us and them, purifying their hearts by faith.
10   Now therefore why tempt ye God, to put a yoke upon the neck of the disciples, which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear?11   But we believe that through the grace of the LORD Jesus Christ we shall be saved, even as they.

asaph

Wreck N Sow

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2003, 09:29:14 AM »

Hey thar
Should we believe the WORD of God or the words of man?

JUDE 1[4] For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation,
ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ.[5] I will therefore put you in remembrance, though ye once knew this, how that the Lord, having saved the people out of the land of Egypt, afterward destroyed them that believed not.

(Remembrance-out of Egypt-destoyed them that believe not)
Above passage says you can deny GOD and JESUS!
Who are these people that turned the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and deny the only Lord God.

EZEK.20 [10] Wherefore I caused them to go forth out of the land of Egypt, and brought them into the wilderness.[11] And I gave them my statutes, and shewed them my judgments, which if a man do, he shall even live in them.[12] Moreover also I gave them my sabbaths, to be a sign between me and them, that they might know that I am the LORD that sanctify them.[13] But the house of Israel rebelled against me in the wilderness: they walked not in my statutes, and they despised my judgments, which if a man do, he shall even live in them;and my sabbaths they greatly polluted: then I said, I would pour out my fury upon them in the wilderness, to consume them.

(Out of Egypt-polluted HIS SABBATHS-HE destroyed them)
Will it be this way when Christ returns.
Notice also the wording in JUDE 1 where it says “put you in remembrance”. In Exodus 20 where the commandment is given, it reads” Remember the sabbath day”.

DEUT.5[15] And remember that thou wast a servant in the land of Egypt, and that the LORD thy God brought thee out thence through a mighty hand and by a stretched out arm: therefore the LORD thy God commanded thee to keep the sabbath day.
(remember-out of Egypt-Keep the Sabbath)

HEBREWS 4 [1] Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it.[2] For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.[3] For we which have believed do enter into rest,

GODS 4th commandment is perfect. Why man felt the need to change it i’ll never understand.
Whitehorse
Gold Member

I'll think of something.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2003, 05:59:52 PM »

In response to the original post, I'd say that God rested, in agreement with you, not because He needed it! Where I see something else is that God did it as an example for us.  Not to gain any kind of rest for Himself. The Sabbath is a type of eternal rest, rest from sin and the rest that we get from full fellowship with Him (which was destroyed by the first Adam). The second Adam, which was Christ, fulfilled the requirements of blood sacrifice on the cross and we are no longer under a covenant of works, but a covenant of grace, which is why the Sabbath was moved to the first day of the week from the last. We no longer work first and receive rest on the last day because we are no longer under a covenant of works, but grace. We rest first and serve after. Jesus rose and fulfilled all the law and the prophets on the first day. And we continue in our observance of the Sabbath in fulfillment of the fourth commandment and in anticipation of our full rest in redemption.  Smiley

John the Baptist
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2003, 07:07:40 PM »

John here:
Matt. 4:4 says that man is to live by [every Word] that PROCEEDETH out of the Mouth of GOD!
And the post from this bird does not even use [one] word of the Master's Word Huh

Give us a brake, & go sell your 'useless' Wordless vitals to the ones of Heb. 5 please!---John

In response to the original post, I'd say that God rested, in agreement with you, not because He needed it! Where I see something else is that God did it as an example for us.  Not to gain any kind of rest for Himself. The Sabbath is a type of eternal rest, rest from sin and the rest that we get from full fellowship with Him (which was destroyed by the first Adam). The second Adam, which was Christ, fulfilled the requirements of blood sacrifice on the cross and we are no longer under a covenant of works, but a covenant of grace, which is why the Sabbath was moved to the first day of the week from the last. We no longer work first and receive rest on the last day because we are no longer under a covenant of works, but grace. We rest first and serve after. Jesus rose and fulfilled all the law and the prophets on the first day. And we continue in our observance of the Sabbath in fulfillment of the fourth commandment and in anticipation of our full rest in redemption.  Smiley
Whitehorse
Gold Member

I'll think of something.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2003, 11:53:32 PM »

Since you quoted me, I'm assuming you're referring to me. All will note that you have given what is known as a cosmetic argument. A cosmetic argument sounds good, hence the term "cosmetic," but it doesn't actually disagree or take issue with anything in particular. It's a blanket statement that is really quite empty. The Master's word pervades all I do and think, and I used principles which are, each and every one, out of scripture. Just because I did not give the specific verses did not mean I wasn't using them. I simply assumed you were master enough at knowing your Bible to instantly recognize them when you saw them. If you do need a referenced breakdown, I shall be pleased to provide one:

Principle One: God rested on the seventh day.
Genesis 2:2. By the seventh day God finished the work He had been doing; so on the seventh day He rested from all His work.

Principles Two and Three: God rested *after* His labor (2), and this rest from labor is directly applied to the sabbath rest He would establish for His people (3):
Genesis 2:3. And God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on it he rested from all the work of creating that He had done.

Principle Four: The sabbath was created not for God's own need, but as an example to us.
Mark 2:27: The sabbath was made for man, not man for the sabbath. (Note here the sabbath cannot be made for God, because it is said that sabbath was made for man. Also, we note that God's rest comes after making creation. ) This leads us to...

Principle Five: God does not need a sabbath; his work was finished at creation:
Hebrews 4:3. Now we who have believed enter that rest, just as God has said, "So I declared on oath in my anger, 'They shall never enter my rest.' And yet His work has been finished since the creation of the world.

Principle Six: We must likewise rest.
Hebrews 4:9. There remains, then, a sabbath-rest for the people of God; for anyone who enters God's rest also rests from his own work, just as God did from His.

Principle Seven: The sabbath rest is a type of eternal rest, a rest from sin and from broken fellowship with God.
Revelation 14: 13. Then I heard a voice from heaven say, "Write: Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord from now on." "Yes," says the Spirit, "they will rest from their labor, for their deeds will follow them."
Hebrews 3:7-11. So as the Holy Spirit says, "Today, if you hear His voice, do not harden your hearts as you did in the rebellion, during the time of testing in the desert, where your fathers tested and tried me and dor forty years saw what I did. That is why I was angry with that generation, and I said, ' Their hearts are always going astray, and they have not known my ways. *So I declared on oath, 'They shall never enter my rest.'"* [emphasis mine.]

Principle Eight: Full fellowship was broken by the first Adam:
Genesis 3:23. So the Lord God banished him from the Garden of Eden to work the ground from which he had been taken. (For a full reference on the sin itself, read all of Genesis 3.)

Principles Nine and Ten: Jesus is the second Adam (9), and He came to overturn the fleshly nature of the first Adam (10).
I Corinthians 15: 45-48. So it is written,"The first Adam became a living being"; the last Adam, a life-giving spirit. The spiritual did not come first, but the natural, and after that the spiritual. The first man was of the dust of the earth, the second man was from heaven. As was the earthly man, so are those who are of the earth; and as is the man from heaven, so so also are those who are of heaven.
Also, all of Romans 5.

Principle Eleven: Jesus fulfilled the requirements of a blood sacrifice.
Romans 3: 25-26. God presented Him as a sacrifice of atonement, through faith in His blood. He did this to demonstrate His justice, because in His forbearance He had left the sins committed beforehand unpunished-He did it to demonstrate His justice at the present time, so as to be just and the Obne who justifies those who have faith in Jesus.

Principle Twelve: The law was fulfilled in Jesus Christ.
Matthew 5:17. Do not think I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have come not to abolish them but to fulfill them.

Principle Thirteen: We are no longer under a covenant of works, but of grace. (This is in Christ Jesus, and the ceremonial law is no longer required.)
Exodus 19:5a. Now if you obey me fully and keep my covenant, then out of all the nations you will be my treasured possession. (Old testament, old covenant.)
Ephesians 2:8-9. For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God-not by works, so that no one can boast.

Principle Fourteen: We used to work first and then rest. Already well-established by previously quoted verses.

Principle Fifteen: We now rest first and work after.
I will fill this explanation out here. We have already seen in previous verses that we cannot be saved by works. Our rest comes from Christ. Matthew11:28. Come to me all you who are weary and burdened and I will give you rest.

Obviously this is not physical rest, but spiritual. Appropriate for the second Adam, who was the spiritual man rather than natural. (Already quoted and established.)

Prooftext that God is the author, the origin of our works: Philippians 1:6. being confident of this, that *He who began* a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus. [emphasis mine.]

Another prooftext that works will surely follow true faith in Christ: All of first John especially I John 2:3-4. We know that we have come to know Him if we obey His commands. The man who says, "I know Him," but does not do what He commands is a liar, and the truth is not in Him.
Also James 2: 20, James 2:26, Acts 26:20...

Priciple Sixteen: Jesus rose on the first day of the week. Luke 24:7: The Son of man must be delivered into the hands of sinful men, be crucified and on the third day be raised again.

(This is Easter Sunday, for you will remember that Jesus was crucified on a Friday.Luke 23:54. It was Preparation Day, and the sabbath was about to begin. As already proven, the sabbath then was on the seventh day, saturday, so that would make Preparation Day a Friday.)

Now that I've jumped through that enormous hoop for your benefit, what was the basis for your hostile post and name-calling? Here's a text for you: I Corinthians 13:13. If you actually made it to the end of this post, I commend you for that. I hope you appreciate how much time I put into it!

Wreck N Sow

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2003, 12:09:25 AM »

Hi Whitehorse
Jesus did not rise on sunday(according to the scriptures)

MATT.12[39] But he answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and
there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas:[40] For as Jonas was three days and three
nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

Jesus said HE would be 3 days and 3 nights in the heart of the earth
Does good Friday afternoon till  (easter) morning=3 days and 3 nights? No way.

MARK 16[1] And when the sabbath was past, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James, and Salome, had
bought sweet spices, that they might come and anoint him.

These women bought sweet spices after the sabbath was past(the high day passover sabbath)JOHN 19[31]

LUKE 23[56] And they returned, and prepared spices and ointments; and rested the sabbath day according to the commandment.

These same women prepared spices and then rested the sabbath day(Gods 4th commandment)
How could these women prepare spices and rest the sabbath if they didnt buy spices till after the sabbath had past?
There had to be 2 sabbaths! The feast of unleavened bread, which starts the day after the passover, has a high sabbath day, which is spoken of in John 19.And Whitehorse there is a preparation day for that sabbath also.

JOHN 19 [14] And it was the preparation of the passover, and about the sixth hour: and he saith unto the Jews,
Behold your King![15] But they cried out, Away with him, away with him, crucify him.

(These 2 scriptures are just more proof that the first of these sabbaths was the high passover sabbath)

JOHN 19[31] The Jews therefore, because it was the preparation, that the bodies should not remain upon the cross
on the sabbath day, (for that sabbath day was an high day,) besought Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away.

MATT.27[61] And there was Mary Magdalene, and the other Mary, sitting over against the sepulchre.[62] Now the next day, that followed the day of the preparation, the chief priests and Pharisees came together unto Pilate,[63] Saying, Sir, we remember that that deceiver said, while he was yet alive, After three days I will rise again.

After three days
Saved_4ever
Gold Member

A KJV bible believing Christian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2003, 01:37:43 AM »

Well a big DUH to you wreck n sow since you should know that Jesus was not Crucified on Friday.  Also to say he was not raised on Sunday is foolishness as well unless Sunday is no longer the first day of the week.

Mr 16:1
¶ And when the sabbath was past, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James, and Salome, had bought sweet spices, that they might come and anoint him.
Mr 16:2
And very early in the morning the first day of the week, they came unto the sepulchre at the rising of the sun.
Mr 16:9
Now when Jesus was risen early the first day of the week, he appeared first to Mary Magdalene, out of whom he had cast seven devils.
Lu 24:1
Now upon the first day of the week, very early in the morning, they came unto the sepulchre, bringing the spices which they had prepared, and certain others with them.
Joh 20:1
The first day of the week cometh Mary Magdalene early, when it was yet dark, unto the sepulchre, and seeth the stone taken away from the sepulchre.

It seems that the bible disagrees with you hence, making you the one in err.

We won't even get into the difference between the way they kept days then and now but you might like to know (if you don't already) that the Jews hold Saturday as their Sabbath day.  hint hint

God bless,
Jason

Whitehorse
Gold Member

I'll think of something.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2003, 01:52:10 AM »

Hi, Wreck N Sow.

There *could* be two sabbaths. Or, there could have been two purchases. One before, one after. This would make a great deal more sense than two sabbaths in the same week, although I'd heard that argument in my theology class.

Of course the holy days would have a high sabbath, but I not in addition to the regular one. The sabbath corresponding to the holy day would *be* the high sabbath, unless there is a prooftext otherwise. As it stands, I'd say there were two purchases.

If that's the case, Jesus did die on friday, because it is written: "When He had received the drink, Jesus said, it is finished. With that he bowed His head and gave up His spirit. Now it was a day of preparation, and the next day was to be a special *Sabbath*. So, if the whole argument for two sabbaths rests on the purchase(s) of spices, it would be far from conclusive for the reason given above.

Moreover, I have a different reading of John 19:14. Mine says, it was the the day of preparation of Passover *Week,* not the preparation of Passover. (Passover was celebrated and referred to in Jesus's day as the 14th-21st of Nisan, an entire week. But the lamb was eaten on the 14th.) So it would be the preparation for the sabbath, during the week of passover. THat would indeed by a high sabbath, for it is the sabbath of passover week. That would make that day the friday.  I haven't found a reference to the preparation of Passover, the day, in reference to the passion. (If I missed something, please point it out to me.)

In addition, Matthew 26:18-30 show the disciples clearly eating the passover the day before the crucifixion. For in27:1, it was the next morning when Jesus appeared before Pilate. So to eat the passover would have been thursday, which would place the crucifixion on friday.

So you'd really have to take more implications outside of text to place a second sabbath in the same week than to discount a sunday resurrection. IMHO

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the