Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 06:37:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286806 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  General Theology (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  God's Sabbath Rest
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: God's Sabbath Rest  (Read 22808 times)
Saved_4ever
Gold Member

A KJV bible believing Christian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2003, 03:00:09 AM »

No that's wrong as well and you can't have Jesus dying on a Friday afternoon and raising early Sunday morning and have 3 days and nights pass can you?

There is no passover week so your bible is wrong.  Passover is one day.  What you are reffering to is the feast of unleavened bread which lasts one week.  They happen together but are not the same thing.

There most certianly were two "sabbath" days the high sabbath being passover and then saturday passover.

I guess I will mention it anyway.  The Jewish day is from 6PM to 6AM.  NO try and work it all out.  Jesus was not crucified on Friday.  It's silly catholic misinformation like lent and other things.

God bless,
Jason

Wreck N Sow

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2003, 09:08:30 AM »

MATT.12[39] But he answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and
there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas:[40] For as Jonas was three days and three
nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

Are we to believe Jesus when HE said HE would be 3 days and 3 nights in the heart of the earth. Thats what it comes down to. Believe Jesus or what youve been taught.

WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON - preparation day for the passover high sabbath day(sabbath begins at sundown)
According to scripture Jesus was put in the tomb(heart of the earth) before sundown according to the law.
JOHN 19 [14] And it was the preparation of the passover, and about the sixth hour: and he saith unto the Jews,
Behold your King![15] But they cried out, Away with him, away with him, crucify him.
JOHN 19[31] The Jews therefore, because it was the preparation, that the bodies should not remain upon the cross
on the sabbath day, (for that sabbath day was an high day,) besought Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away.

1 full day - WEDNESDAY SUNDOWN TO THURSDAY SUNDOWN - The high passover sabbath day. On this day it was unlawfull to do any work or to buy anything. So the women had to wait for this sabbath to pass before going out to buy the spices for Jesus.

2 full days - THURSDAY SUNDOWN TO FRIDAY SUNDOWN
MARK 16[1] And when the sabbath was past, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James, and Salome, had
bought sweet spices, that they might come and anoint him.
LUKE 23[56] And they returned, and prepared spices and ointments; and rested the sabbath day according to the commandment.
These women bought sweet spices after the sabbath was past(the high day passover sabbath)JOHN 19[31] .
These same women prepared spices, that same day and then rested the sabbath day according to the
commandment (Gods 4th commandment)

3 full days - FRIDAY SUNDOWN TO SATURDAY SUNDOWN - Gods 4th commandment - the weekly sabbath

So if you believe the scriptures its easy to see that Jesus rose on a late saturday afternoon. 3 days and 3 nights after HE was put in the heart of the earth. Just as Jesus said HE would. In each case when people went to the tomb after Jesus rose from the dead(on sunday), HIS body was not there. Nowhere will you find anyone seeing Jesus rise on that sunday morning, SAVED4EVER Only that HE had already risen.

PastorTom
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2003, 03:23:16 PM »

The old you doesn't give up very easily.  When God finishes with you, the old you will be no more and the new you - the you who fears, loves, and trusts God - will not have to fight any longer.  But in the meantime, there is some struggle elft.  The old you isn't going to give up until it has no alternative.

So for the meantime, while the old you hangs on and thenew you awaits completion, God has some commandments to hand out.  They are provisional, rules for the meantime.  At the same time, there is something really good about them.  For in these commandments, God gives us a sense of what is most important, what matters from day to day.

In the wilderness God taught Israel about the gift of sabbath.  No manna fell on the seventh day of the week (Ex 16.26).  Enough manna fell on the sixth day to feed the people on both the sixth day and the seventh day (Ex 16.23).  The manna stored for the sabbath did not rot (Ex 16.24).

The partner people learned that humans do not have to work every day to receive and distribute God's manna.  The extra time is a beautiful gift of God which makes it possible for humans and animals and earth to rest.  Sabbath allows humans to experience full time the wonder of friendship - with God and others and all creation.

The grandest part of the covenant word, the Torah, was the teaching about Sabbath, God's gift of time - time for resting, playing, singing, frolicking, feasting, praying, storytelling, and time for savoring friendships with God and others and nature (remember friendship is what life is all about, not piling up stuff).  According to the Torah, the gift of Sabbath will be honored in three forms:

1.  The Sabbath day, the seventh day of the week.

2.  The Sabbath year, the seventh year.

3.  The Jubilee year, the fiftieth year, the grand Sabbath year.

On Sabbath days the partner people will rest.  What a gift of grace!  God lets the people know the world will not fall apart if they do not work all the time (Ex 20.8-11, 23.12).  It doesn't even fall apart when God takes a day off (Gen 2.1-3).

On Sabbath years many joyful things will happen.  The people and the land will rest (Ex 23.11).  Work animals will enjoy rest and refreshment (Ex 23.12).  There will be abundant food for all (Ex 23.1, Lev 25.6-7).  All debts will be canceled - one way to keep Pharaoh's Egypt from happening (Deut 15.1-11).  All slaves will go free with help to start again (Deut 15.12-15).

On jubilee years all land lost because of debt or misfortune will go back to the original inheritor - God's way of assuring that this society will never become like Pharaoh's Egypt with rich and poor, land hoarders and landless slave workers.  By keeping the jubilee, this people will live as God's...

CONTRAST SOCIETY.  (Lev 25.8-55).

Shalom:  PastorTom
Whitehorse
Gold Member

I'll think of something.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2003, 06:34:55 PM »

Well, I agree there's a problem. But you'd have to ignore all those other verses to arrive at that conclusion, and they're scripture, too. They're all valid. Another problem. How could the third night succeed the third day if Jesus said to the thief, "*Today* you will be with Me in paradise"? [emphasis mine].

John the Baptist
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2003, 07:16:05 PM »

John here:
We have a bigger problem with that verse, if we read it that way? for Christ did not go to paradise that day either!
Well, I agree there's a problem. But you'd have to ignore all those other verses to arrive at that conclusion, and they're scripture, too. They're all valid. Another problem. How could the third night succeed the third day if Jesus said to the thief, "*Today* you will be with Me in paradise"? [emphasis mine].
Whitehorse
Gold Member

I'll think of something.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2003, 12:42:28 AM »

John, If He said He did, He did. I don't know how you can say otherwise without denying the authority of scripture.

OldTimer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2003, 07:04:03 AM »

The original Greek has no punctuation marks, so…

Luke 23:43  And Jesus said to him Truly I say to you today you will be with Me in Paradise.
LITV translation.

Place the comma after the word “Today” and you have a different meaning. Your choice?
Wreck N Sow

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2003, 08:59:51 AM »

Hey

John 20  [15] Jesus saith unto her, Woman, why weepest thou? whom seekest thou? She, supposing him to be the gardener, saith unto him, Sir, if thou have borne him hence, tell me where thou hast laid him, and I will take him away.
[16] Jesus saith unto her, Mary. She turned herself, and saith unto him, Rabboni; which is to say, Master.
[17] Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.

The Baptist is correct, the comma seems to be in wrong place.
Above scripture "Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father".
John the Baptist
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2003, 09:06:54 AM »

John, If He said He did, He did. I don't know how you can say otherwise without denying the authority of scripture.

Hi John here:
I do like your putting the integretity of the Master Words FIRST! Smiley

I was thinking of John's 'inspiration' ALSO, as seen in chapter 20? Verse one tells us what day it is. Also that it WAS DARK.
(our Sat. night)

Verse 17 is the verse to see, it was Christ Himself stating that HE HAD NOT YET ASCENDED TO HIS FATHER. Remember that He was dead & in the grave some time even before this passage of resurection? And His Word's to the 'past' thief could not be as some today teach.

Also notice verse 18-19 for the same  day at EVENING? And what were the disciples assembled for??

---John  
OldTimer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2003, 06:41:37 PM »

Actually, I think the comma argument is a red herring. Christ was responding to the plea by the thief to remember him when He came into His kingdom.Christ replies, "Verily I say unto thee, today thou shalt be with me in paradise."

The word "today" is Strong's number 5494. It is often translated "this day." It implies a sense of immediacy.

Therefore, I believe there are only two ways to look at these two verses, Luke 23:42-43. 1 - Christ was saying that very day, the day they both died, the thief would be with Christ in Paradise, or 2 - when Christ came into His kingdom the thief would be with Christ in Paradise that very day.

As I believe that Christ spent the next 3 days and nights in the heart of the earth (the tomb) I therefor believe this second reading to be the correct one.
Whitehorse
Gold Member

I'll think of something.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2003, 07:17:01 PM »

1. John, the entire Bible is the Mater's words. The Bible is ispired by God, and it is his infalliable word. You have to take all of it or none of it; if any of it were wrong, it would destroy the credibility of the entire scripture.

2 Timothy 2:16: All scripture is God-breathed, and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

John 8: 28: So Jesus said, "When you have have lifted up the Son of Man, then you will know I am the One I claim to be and that I do nothing on My own but speak just what the Father taught Me."

So all of it is from the Master, our Father in Heaven. I think it's correct that the Jewish reckoning of time would mean that Jesus was not referring to a literal 24-hour day. But there are many scriptures, even those that show us point blank that Jesus rose on the first day of the week.

Regarding Jesus's ascention: He told Mary not to touch Him because He had not ascended *in the body.* But He did in fact die, so His spirit had to be somewhere. So He would be with the Father in his spirit. Although, it's also possible that when Jesus told the thief he would be with Him in paradise, He used the word Today meaning that he was only speaking the words that day. I tend to favor the first view, however, simply because there would have been no question as to when Jesus was speaking the words, only to the time of being with the Father. So I tend to think Today referred to the time of the reunion with the Lord. Also: Luke 23:46b  "Father, into your hands I commit my spirit." So that would show that Jesus's soul did return to the Lord.

And what about all the verses Save_4ever put up about the resurrection on the first day? Plus I'd need better proof of the double sabbath, since God rested from His work only one day. There's the Passover...it all adds up.

John the Baptist
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2003, 08:57:01 PM »

1. John, the entire Bible is the Mater's words. The Bible is ispired by God, and it is his infalliable word. You have to take all of it or none of it; if any of it were wrong, it would destroy the credibility of the entire scripture.

2 Timothy 2:16: All scripture is God-breathed, and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

Hi, John here:
We are in agreement to No. 1 being the Master's Word, ALL OF it. 2 Tim. 3:16 is good in the K.J. version also! It is foolproof on the Word of Doctrine when all 66 bks. are used.
And what man calls the four Gospels is shoddy at best. (mans understanding, that is) That is why they are all four differant in their Wording, huh?

Isa. 8:20 gives the total package to test my work by. Two sections to acknowledge. One God wrote Himself & the 66 bks. of His Word, holy men of God gave their inspired testimony as they were moved by the Holy Ghost, .. as individuals. That is why we need ALL the pieces of a doctrinal (puzzle) from cover to cover to get the True picture.

Yet, uninspired man added numbers, periods, coma's, chapter titles & more. There is another bad one, that causes understanding problems in Rev. The 'good' Christian men back then have caused an inlightened increased knowledge period of folks, to still be 'seeing it as they did'!

And the rest of your post? We do not see much in common there perhaps either. Whatever! Smiley

---John
Whitehorse
Gold Member

I'll think of something.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2003, 11:09:21 PM »

But that's whole point of my post: if it's scripture and we profess to agree with all of it, then I don't understand what there is to disagree upon.

Wreck N Sow

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2003, 09:01:41 AM »

Hi WhiteHorse
The problem lies in believing the WORD says what it says

MATT.19   [17] And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.[18] He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,[19] Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Many will say, yes it says "but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments".And they say they believe this. But if they dont happen to like 1 of the commandments they will say that the commandments are not the 10 commandments.And they will give their various reasons for this.
Whitehorse
Gold Member

I'll think of something.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2003, 10:39:41 AM »

Hi, Wreck N Sow.

Yes, I know what you mean. I've seen plenty of that myself. It's that crummy postmodernism, as if the sin nature didn't already ruin so many without more encouragement from an organized philosophy.

It's the heart of liberalism; it's deriving interpretation from feelings more than the scripture. The foundation is off, so the whole house eventually crumbles. Sad.

Interesting-in the course of my work today, I ran across a few passages that address this exactly. 2 Timothy 3:7-8, more particularly 2 Timothy 4:3-4, and pretty much all of I John.

Here's 2 Timothy 4:3-4: For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths.

Exactly what you addressed. I think we're living in the last days; what do you think?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2003, 09:23:43 PM by Whitehorse » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the