Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 02:18:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286805 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  General Theology (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  tattoo
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: tattoo  (Read 3865 times)
gheetam

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« on: August 30, 2004, 06:19:00 AM »

Hi there!!

For a healthy discussion and to clear my utterly confused mind:-  

Is it a sin to tattoo your body? If is is, why?

Other then the book of Leviticus, is there any place where it says that it is a sin?

God Bless

Esther  :-\
gheetam

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2004, 04:06:18 AM »

Anyone out there for this topic or has this been already been discussed here in this forum?
sincereheart
Gold Member

"and with His stripes we are healed." Isaiah 53:5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2004, 04:15:05 AM »

Already been discussed....  Grin

gheetam

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2004, 09:29:08 PM »

er oops!! Could you be so kind to guide me to that thread, please?  Embarrassed

Thank you and God Bless
Melody
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2004, 07:31:17 AM »

Already been discussed....  Grin

Where please?
gheetam

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2004, 11:39:45 AM »

Sad  Yes. Where please?
Chesed

Zechariah 2:10-12

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2004, 12:12:58 PM »

Hi Gheetam -

You asked:

Is it a sin to tattoo your body? If is is, why?

Yes, I do believe it is a sin. Here is the verse in Leviticus - Le 19:28 'You shall not make any cuts in your body for the dead nor make any tattoo marks on yourselves: I am the LORD. '

In the context of this Leviticus passage is that God is commanding the Israelites not to adopt the practices of the pagan nations in the land that is now Israel.

The pagans and heathens of today still tattoo their bodies. The question is, does God still want us to be separate from "the world." Yes, He does.

The other question is why would you want to get a tattoo anyway? There really is no good reason why other than you probably think it's cool - and don't try to justify it by saying you want to get a "religious tattoo." Hey, you should get a tattoo that says the Leviticus 19:28 verse - hehehe  Grin

Other then the book of Leviticus, is there any place where it says that it is a sin?

No, the Levitcus passage is the only place in the Bible where it says anything about tattoos. The reason the New Testament doesn't deal with it is because it is already addressed in Leviticus. C'mon, Jesus didn't die on the cross so that now we can tattoo our bodies! I know what you're thinkin'!  Grin

Besides, aren't you relieved now? I heard getting a tattoo really hurts.

Blessings!
Chesed

'Sing & be glad, Daughter of Zion! For behold, I am coming & I will dwell in your midst, says the Lord. Many nations will join themselves to the Lord on that day & they will become a people unto Me; & I will dwell in your midst. Then you will know that the Lord sent me to you.'
Melody
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2004, 05:48:57 PM »

No, the Levitcus passage is the only place in the Bible where it says anything about tattoos. The reason the New Testament doesn't deal with it is because it is already addressed in Leviticus. C'mon, Jesus didn't die on the cross so that now we can tattoo our bodies! I know what you're thinkin'!  Grin

No, he died to save our eternal souls and I seriously doubt whether a butterfly tattoo on your ankle is considered a sin.  God must be cracking up at how ridiculous we get.

Homeskillet

God Rocks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2004, 12:05:43 AM »

The other question is why would you want to get a tattoo anyway? There really is no good reason why other than you probably think it's cool - and don't try to justify it by saying you want to get a "religious tattoo." Hey, you should get a tattoo that says the Leviticus 19:28 verse - hehehe  Grin

Nope, my next one will be Galations 6:17  Smiley

Besides, aren't you relieved now? I heard getting a tattoo really hurts.
Mine didn't hurt at all.  Grin

"To believe that the God of heaven and earth calls me beautiful, well, I think I could rest in that. If I truly knew that He was smitten with me...The desperate search would be over. I would be noticed. Desired. Known."~~Angela Thomas
Chesed

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2004, 01:48:10 AM »

Melody -

...I seriously doubt whether a butterfly tattoo on your ankle is considered a sin.

Well, there are also those who seriously doubt that homosexuality is a sin too, but it plainly says so in the Bible. I'm not trying to equate tattooing to homosexuality, but the Bible is very clear about both.

Yes, Jesus died on the cross to save our souls, but also to create for Himself a holy people. What does it mean to be holy? Can we determine ourselves what it means to be holy? No. Should we look to the Bible that God Himself authored? Yes.

Titus 2:11-14 For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation to all men, 12 instructing us to deny ungodliness and worldly desires and to live sensibly, righteously and godly in the present age, 13 looking for the blessed hope and the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Christ Jesus, 14 who gave Himself for us to redeem us from every lawless deed, and to purify for Himself a people for His own possession, zealous for good deeds.

I know you must think it's a silly commandment not to tattoo our bodies and that breaking this commandment would be a small sin if a sin at all, but Jesus said, (Lu 16:10) "He who is faithful in a very little thing is faithful also in much; and he who is unrighteous in a very little thing is unrighteous also in much."

Blessings  -
Chesed

'Sing & be glad, Daughter of Zion! For behold, I am coming & I will dwell in your midst, says the Lord. Many nations will join themselves to the Lord on that day & they will become a people unto Me; & I will dwell in your midst. Then you will know that the Lord sent me to you.'
sincereheart
Gold Member

"and with His stripes we are healed." Isaiah 53:5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2004, 04:55:27 AM »

Sorry I missed the 'where' questions!  Lips Sealed

Click 'search', type in 'tattoo' and set the parameters for 360 days and posts by 'any'. If you don't have any luck, let me know and I'll try to search it for you. I'm heading off in just a minute or two.  Smiley

Melody
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2004, 11:27:02 AM »

I know you must think it's a silly commandment not to tattoo our bodies and that breaking this commandment would be a small sin if a sin at all,

Commandment?  Is this #11?  We'll have to agree to disagree on the interpretation of the Bible.  If I followed all of the laws in Leviticus, I could hold slaves and sell my children if they were disobedient.  I try not to get tied up in "sins" and pray to the Lord for guidance in how to live my life.  Smiley
Tuomoko

In Yeshua I got my salvation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2004, 11:30:06 AM »

I used to have a nipple piercing. Now i don't have it anymore Cheesy

That's what I think about tattoos and stuff.

It's another topic which will be discussed over and over again. However, I am not to judge anybody.

Chesed

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2004, 12:08:19 PM »

Melody -

Yes, you and I definately have a different understanding. I don't want you to misunderstand me, I don't think Christians who get tattoos are going to hell - but we shouldn't think about everything in terms of our salvation should we? Shouldn't we also think of things in terms of obeying and pleasing God?

You say "I try not to get tied up in "sins" and pray to the Lord for guidance in how to live my life."

Well, how do you know it is really the Lord who is guiding you if you don't use the Word as a standard to measure up the "guidance" you are getting? I have seen many people who said they had guidance to do many things. I have seen people who believed God guided them to have an extra marital affair, buy a really expensive corvette, all sorts of things! I think many people get confused between their emotions, and God's guidance. That's why we need to use God's Word as a standard, that is why He gave it to us.

I am saddened by your disdain for the Law God gave to us, when you say, "If I followed all of the laws in Leviticus, I could hold slaves and sell my children if they were disobedient. " It really shows how much you misunderstand God and His commandments.

Of this same Law, David said:

The law of the LORD is perfect, restoring the soul; The testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple. 8 The precepts of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart; The commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes. 9 The fear of the LORD is clean, enduring forever; The judgments of the LORD are true; they are righteous altogether. 10 They are more desirable than gold, yes, than much fine gold; Sweeter also than honey and the drippings of the honeycomb. 11 Moreover, by them Your servant is warned; In keeping them there is great reward. (Psalm 19)

What reason is there for getting a tattoo? What is at the heart of it? Is it not vanity? Proverbs 31:30 -Charm is deceitful and beauty is vain, {But} a woman who fears the LORD, she shall be praised.

Blessings -

Chesed

Melody
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2004, 01:05:11 PM »

I am saddened by your disdain for the Law God gave to us, when you say,

Chesed,
I'm sorry you feel the need to judge me based on *your* interpretation of the bible.  Perhaps you should reread the part about "Judge not lest ye be judge."

I do not disdain the law of God.  I just disagree on your interpretation.  The Pharisees and Sadducees also tried to interpret God's law for His people rather than worrying about their own relationship with God.  There's a lesson to be learned there.

I see no point to further conversation on this topic as we will not come to agreement on this.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the