Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 03:28:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286799 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Debate (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  What is Hell?
« previous next »
Poll
Question: What is the best description of Hell?
Literal lake or place of everlasting fire - 6 (54.5%)
Place of darkness and seperation from God - 2 (18.2%)
Place where non-believers go but are not tortured - 0 (0%)
Earth - 0 (0%)
Concept of inner pain and suffering - 0 (0%)
Concept referring to humanities darkness - 0 (0%)
Something else - 1 (9.1%)
I have no idea - 2 (18.2%)
Total Voters: 9

Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What is Hell?  (Read 10751 times)
Primrose

Practically Perfect in Every Way ;)

View Profile
« on: March 07, 2004, 03:52:19 PM »

What is Hell like?

Avo thano rűth vi gűr alfirin! - Do not kindle anger in an immortal heart
No i brestanneth anírach tírad vi amar - Be the change you wish to see in this world
"Every harlot was a virgin once." - William Blake
ollie
Gold Member

Being born again, .....by the word of God,

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2004, 05:40:30 PM »

Hell is tossed into the lake of fire along with death, Satan, the false prophet, the beast, and all those not written in the lamb's book of life.

Support your local Christian.
grace

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2004, 12:37:38 AM »

The common ideas about hell are so widely accepted (while not critically examined) and leaned upon for the purpose of converting that this post of mine will likely inspire strong reactions, if not violent opposition.

Kasey, be comforted; the idea of hell as a place of forever-and-ever torment is not supported scripturally. It looks like it at first glance when you're looking for this or that scripture to back up a preconceived notion based on pop culture. From the bible studies I've seen and gone through, it seems more plausible that those who (knowing fully who God is) ultimately refuse the gift of God's grace will finally be utterly destroyed, and not tortured forever (and for any who would willingly be without Him, bereft of Joy, destruction would be merciful).

I don't need the threat of torture for God's love to be worth seeking for me, and this idea just doesn't jive with the idea of a loving God. The fact that I'm going to spend eternity in the frying pan otherwise is not the basis of my relationship with Jesus. Those who lean on fear for their faith are afraid to trust in God's love; they think that His love needs to be backed up by fear in order to be effective.

Isaiah 45:23 - By myself I have sworn, from my mouth has gone forth in righteousness a word that shall not return: 'To me every knee shall bow, every tongue shall swear.'  

Romans 14:11 - for it is written, "As I live, says the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall give praise to God."

In a place where there is gnashing of teeth (a sign of belligerent anger), the tongues will not be praising God. So if every tongue shall give praise, then at that time there will be none gnashing teeth!

God is Love. Love without justice is not love; there will be a reckoning, and it will not be pleasant for any of us since we all fall short of the glory of God (though it will probably be an awful lot worse for some than for others). But God has promised us: Isaiah 45:23 - By myself I have sworn, from my mouth has gone forth in righteousness a word that shall not return: 'To me every knee shall bow, every tongue shall swear.'

I, for one, believe Him.

In His love,

-Grace
Jcgirl

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2004, 02:00:51 AM »

2 Peter 2:4 For if God spared not the angels that sinned, but cast them down to hell, and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be, reserved unto judgment;
grace

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2004, 07:59:28 AM »

I don't have a concordance handy (to look up the meaning of the original Greek word used in the untranslated text), but I'm guessing you'll find that it is the same as the one that is often translated as hell in the Old Testament, "Sheol"; this refers a place of death, a sort of waiting place where all go before the time of judgement. So with this meaning, "go to hell" simply means "drop dead"!

There are some far more troublesome passages than this to deal with, but right now, I'm late and I GOTTA RUN!!!

In His love,

-Grace

Petro
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2004, 11:59:23 AM »

The Deceased are dead, this is a true statement true.. What is Hell like??

It may not be clear tosome what it is like, but a descriptive view of it, is given to us at;

Rev 20
 10  And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.

This is the ultimate destiny of all who do not believe Gods Words spoke by Jesus.

Note how Hell and death, get to this place;

Rev 20
20  And the beast was taken, and with him the false prophet that wrought miracles before him, with which he deceived them that had received the mark of the beast, and them that worshipped his image. These both were cast alive into a lake of fire burning with brimstone.
21  And the remnant were slain with the sword of him that sat upon the horse, which sword proceeded out of his mouth: and all the fowls were filled with their flesh.
20:1  And I saw an angel come down from heaven, having the key of the bottomless pit and a great chain in his hand.
2  And he laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan, and bound him a thousand years,
3  And cast him into the bottomless pit, and shut him up, and set a seal upon him, that he should deceive the nations no more, till the thousand years should be fulfilled: and after that he must be loosed a little season.
4  And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.
5  But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection.
6  Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.
7  And when the thousand years are expired, Satan shall be loosed out of his prison,
8  And shall go out to deceive the nations which are in the four quarters of the earth, Gog and Magog, to gather them together to battle: the number of whom is as the sand of the sea.
9  And they went up on the breadth of the earth, and compassed the camp of the saints about, and the beloved city: and fire came down from God out of heaven, and devoured them.
10  And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.
11  And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them.
12  And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.
13  And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.
14  And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
15  And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

So, Hell is a place of torment, in which all who are cast into it, will be tormented day and night were the worm never dies and the fir is not quenched.

Do not be deceived...

Jesus taught this clearly;

Mk 9
43 And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:
44 Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.
45 And if thy foot offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter halt into life, than having two feet to be cast into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:
46 Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.
47 And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out: it is better for thee to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye, than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire:
48 Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.

Pretty graphic, isn't it??

Blesings,

Petro

JudgeNot
Gold Member

Jesus, remember me... Luke 23:42

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2004, 05:42:44 PM »

"What is Hell?"

No man knows with absolute certainty, we can only speculate based on the scripture at hand.

But I CAN tell you this with all certainty – I don’t want to get a personal and permanent tour.  

This could be a good reason so many Christians are slow to speak of it – they don’t know for sure and they never plan to find out.

Covering your tracks is futile; God knows where you're going and where you've been.
JPD
Reba
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2004, 06:06:15 PM »

A bad marriage!  Lips Sealed
JudgeNot
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2004, 06:09:36 PM »

A bad marriage!

A good marriage on a BAD day?  Lips Sealed

Covering your tracks is futile; God knows where you're going and where you've been.
JPD
Reba
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2004, 06:12:31 PM »

Judge,

Isn't that why i divorced you?   Angry
JudgeNot
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2004, 06:18:58 PM »

What were the reasons?  Let me count the ways...

Grin

JPD
ollie
Gold Member

Being born again, .....by the word of God,

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2004, 06:33:36 PM »

Do not forget Buffalo!

Support your local Christian.
Paul2
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2004, 07:02:54 PM »

I believe that "Hell" is the grave, the STATE of people when they die. I dont believe its an ever burning pit of fire - Gods not that cruel and hateful. I dont believe that he would torture people forever like that.

the fire God talks about is hot enough to burn people up into ashes - that is simply death - not eternal torturing (malachi 4).

What you want to believe is irrelevant! What does the Bible teach? You don't like the idea of eternal suffering but thats just what the word of God teaches. The beast and false prophet are thrown into the lake of fire ALIVE, not dead. At the Great White Throne Judgement all the wicked dead are raised and judged and thrown into the lake of fire alive, not dead. It is called the second death because they are spiritually dead but physically alive in a damned resurrected body.

Revelation 19:20: "And the beast was taken, and with him the false prophet that wrought miracles before him, with which he deceived them that had received the mark of the beast, and them that worshipped his image. These both were cast alive into a lake of fire burning with brimstone."

Revelation 20:5: "But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection."

Revelation20:10  "And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever."[/u]

Revelation 20:11  "And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them.
   12: And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.[/u]
   13: And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.
   14: And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
   15: And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire."

Revelation 21:8: "But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death."[/u]

Matthew 10:28 "And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell."

Please address the above verse, Matthew 10:28

Matthew 5:29  "And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell."

Matthew 23:33  "Ye serpents, ye generation of vipers, how can ye escape the damnation of hell?"

Mark 9:43  "And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:[/u]

Luke 12:5  "But I will forewarn you whom ye shall fear: Fear him, which after he hath killed hath power to cast into hell; yea, I say unto you, Fear him. [/u]

Luke 16:23 "And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom."

Matthew 25:46  "And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal."

Mark 3:29 "But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation:"

Hebrews 6:2 "Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment."

Hard to believe? To bad! I don't like it either! One of my best friends from highschool committed suicide 4 years ago. I don't like the FACT thats he's going to be raised up at the Great White Throne Judgement and be thrown into the lake of fire where the beast and false prophet will be thrown by Jesus when He returns to earth but thats whats going to happen. I could try to fool myself and believe he'll just remain dead but thats not the truth.

The more I read of your writings the more "cult like" you sound. I see works added into Salvation, you deny the immortality of the soul (we were created in the image of God), you seem to deny Jesus is God from what I can see.

You seem to hold many views the Jehovah's Witnesses hold. Are you a Jehovah's Witness? It seems you might as well be from what I've read.

Who do you define as Christians? Not Catholics, Not Protestants? Who are the Christians?

What must a Christian do and believe according to your understanding?

What must a Christian NOT do and believe according to your understanding?

Fill me in, I'm confused!

Paul2

JudgeNot
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2004, 09:14:17 PM »

What you want to believe is irrelevant! What does the Bible teach?

I hear ya, Brother Paul2.

I want to believe a lot of things... but I can't.

JPD
Petro
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2004, 11:51:42 PM »

The Deceased are dead, this is a true statement true.. What is Hell like??

It may not be clear tosome what it is like, but a descriptive view of it, is given to us at;

Rev 20

This is the ultimate destiny of all who do not believe Gods Words spoke by Jesus.

Note how Hell and death, get to this place;

Rev 20
20  And the beast was taken, and with him the false prophet that wrought miracles before him, with which he deceived them that had received the mark of the beast, and them that worshipped his image. These both were cast alive into a lake of fire burning with brimstone.
21  And the remnant were slain with the sword of him that sat upon the horse, which sword proceeded out of his mouth: and all the fowls were filled with their flesh.
20:1  And I saw an angel come down from heaven, having the key of the bottomless pit and a great chain in his hand.
2  And he laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan, and bound him a thousand years,
3  And cast him into the bottomless pit, and shut him up, and set a seal upon him, that he should deceive the nations no more, till the thousand years should be fulfilled: and after that he must be loosed a little season.
4  And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.
5  But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection.
6  Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.
7  And when the thousand years are expired, Satan shall be loosed out of his prison,
8  And shall go out to deceive the nations which are in the four quarters of the earth, Gog and Magog, to gather them together to battle: the number of whom is as the sand of the sea.
9  And they went up on the breadth of the earth, and compassed the camp of the saints about, and the beloved city: and fire came down from God out of heaven, and devoured them.
11  And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them.
12  And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.
13  And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.
14  And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
15  And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

So, Hell is a place of torment, in which all who are cast into it, will be tormented day and night were the worm never dies and the fir is not quenched.

Do not be deceived...

Jesus taught this clearly;

Mk 9
43 And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:
44 Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.
45 And if thy foot offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter halt into life, than having two feet to be cast into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:
46 Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.
47 And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out: it is better for thee to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye, than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire:
48 Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.

You cannot state any of this without first believing that we have an Immortal Soul.

Soul-[Old Testament]: (Nephesh)[5315]: a breathing creature, vitality – life, person, man, the mind

Soul-[New Testament]: (Psuche)[5590]: breath, the mind, life, people, person

Spirit-[Old Testament]: (Ruach)[7307]: life, anger, breath, the mind, soul, disposition - countenance.

Spirit-[New Testament]: (Pneuma)[4151]: a breeze, life, mental disposition, a human, an angel, a demon, God, soul.

John 3:13: And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, the Son of man which is in heaven.

Acts 2:34: For David is not ascended into the heavens; but he saith himself “The Lord said unto my Lord, sit thou on my write hand.

Answer these two passages WITH the corrisponding Greek and Hebrew and tell me that as a Christian, you still believe what you believe about going to Hell or Heaven when you die and about the Immortal Soul.

kasey-legna

Circular arguments........that lead no where.

I am not going to play your silly game..........

I just put you on my ignore list,  can you tanslate this into Greek and Hebrew.

You must be michael's brother...

later.

Petro

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the