Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 02:45:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286824 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Fellowship
| |-+  You name it!! (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  WHO: Genetically Modified Foods Need Safety Assessments
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: WHO: Genetically Modified Foods Need Safety Assessments  (Read 3619 times)
ZakDar

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2005, 10:19:46 AM »

I've got a question regarding this - -
How about the "engineered" golden rice, (with Beta-carotene) for the purposes of improved yield and, more importantly (it is said) as a disease-fighting agent for poor, third world countries?  

Good or bad?

Here you go. From "Nature" magazine.

Meanwhile, enough time was passing to allow observations all over the world of several generations of GM crops, many of which had to be withdrawn because they tasted weird and people wouldn't buy them (e.g. the Flaver Saver tomato, some potato varieties). Due to the increase in chemical use, scientists wondered what pesticides in general did to nutrients: apples, it turned out lost most and sometimes all their vitamin C, as reported in the prestigious Nature (April 19, 2001). And, the much touted "golden rice", which allegedly had a high vitamin A content to eradicate blindness in Third World children, turned out to be an inhibitor of Co-enzyme Q 10 synthesis (so the children could die of heart failure instead). Worse, as British geneticist Mae-Wan Ho pointed out, a person would have to eat 15 pounds of rice a day to get the amount of vitamin A required to prevent blindness, while the indigenous legumes, judged to be weeds by biotech companies and targeted for eradication with Roundup and other chemicals, contained a hundred times more vitamin A in just one regular serving in traditional meals (Nature, March 29, 2001).

The LORD bless thee, and keep thee:
The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee:
The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.
ZakDar

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2005, 10:21:47 AM »

And concerning those high crop yields and resistances, not to mention nutrition.

British scientist Dr. Christopher Williams started calculating the world-wide health effect of GM crops, after demonstrating that the genetic alteration process, combined with the increased use of chemicals they required, resulted in serious essential mineral deficiencies (zinc, magnesium, iron). About 1.5 billion people were thought to already be in "sub-clinical decline" by 2000 which would show up later in impaired brain development, he reported to the British Economic and Social Research Council. And it became well nigh impossible to suppress some 8,200 university-based studies showing that GM crops have a significantly lower yield than conventional varieties. Research in the UK and in Venezuela showed that crops genetically engineered to be immune to certain pests caused these pests to adapt and then destroy the now totally defenseless crops; this raised the specter of agricultural catastrophe (The Independent March 30, 2003). So much for feeding the world.

ZakDar

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2005, 10:29:10 AM »

And to top it off, all about that GM corn and canola oil.

As early as 1995, the Chinese reported that stir-frying food in Canada's GM canola oil released carcinogenic chemicals (Wall
Street Journal June 7, 1995). Since then, animal experiments involving canola oil showed damage to the heart, kidneys, adrenals and thyroid gland; it is also implicated in the destruction of the myelin sheath protecting nerves (as in Multiple sclerosis). Remember that the next time you walk down the supermarket aisles carrying oils, maybe you best consider virgin olive oil instead. When the biotech wizards came up with the bright idea in November 2002 of using human colon cancer genes to speed up crop growth, medical scientists everywhere woke up and the European parliament said no thanks.

In late 2003 Nature Biotechnology (vol. 22/2) reported that controlled experiments with humans had shown that GM corn passes through the human gut undigested, thereby providing no nutrition at all. Human digestive enzymes don't know what to do with those figments of human imagination coming down the pike. Even more refined research (Environmental Health Perspectives January 29th 2004) shows just exactly how the hormone-disrupting pesticides so liberally used on GMOs disrupt the chemical signaling in the body such as to interfere with normal gene activity.

I have read another study which is very critical of all those nice clean looking oils yo can buy. for the sake of safety, only these oils should be used in cooking: olive oil, coconut oil (my favorite), sesame oil, and flax oil. Apparently those others oils are being seriously looked at as a cause of the epidemic of diabetes now plagueing the USA.

Flax and cocnut oil are very expensive, but did you know, (when I was growing up), that they used to be cheap econimcal mainstays in the oils section? Flax oil actually died in the 50s thanx to Crisco no less. Search for that story if you care, it'll boggle your mind, (but open your eyes).

ZakDar

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2005, 10:34:24 AM »

And since the WHO was brought up, and that is an organization that wants EVEYBODY vaccinated, I put forth this Web site for those who do not know any better where vaccines are concered.

http://goodlight.net/nyvic/health/myth/default.htm
« Last Edit: June 29, 2005, 02:22:15 PM by ZakDar » Logged

cris
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2005, 06:58:45 PM »

Here's some more information on vaccinations including the military ones, and help if one is ill.

http://www.vaclib.org/

Another one:

Http://www.vaccinationnews.com/Opening.htm

ZakDar,

Excellent posts. Thanks.  It just makes me so sad to see what's happening.  Some people hop on the bandwagon when they read about it, and others just ignore it.........probably because it's so overwhelming. The coconut and flax oil you spoke about need to be organic, too.

Too bad we live so far away from one another, because I'm sure if we ever met face to face, we could talk endlessly about all of this "stuff". Wink Grin  You're into the bodily effects of GM food much more than I am though.

Are you in to the effects on the body from mold infested homes, also?  It's rampant nowadays and it's left me wondering why so.  This wasn't taking place years ago and now it is.  It just has to be something in our atmosphere that wasn't there before.

IMO, not only is the middle class being wiped out, we're changing the cells in our bodies.  It will show up, eventually.  Generation after generation of eating this "food"? is going to create non-humans.  It's awful being aware of what's happening.  It's awful being in a minority.  Keeping our minds fixed on Jesus is the only way.

Oh Lord God, come quickly.

Grace and peace,
cris

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2005, 07:32:52 PM »

Cris, Thanks for those links especially those on the Military Vacs.

not only is the middle class being wiped out, we're changing the cells in our bodies.

Doesn't the poor fall into this category also?

I have been looking on the net trying to find out more information about that Japanese Scientist that you mentioned growing the tomatoes in a special environment and haven't been able to find anything. I sure would like to get some more info on it if you have any handy.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
cris
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2005, 08:04:54 PM »

Cris, Thanks for those links especially those on the Military Vacs.

not only is the middle class being wiped out, we're changing the cells in our bodies.

Doesn't the poor fall into this category also?

I have been looking on the net trying to find out more information about that Japanese Scientist that you mentioned growing the tomatoes in a special environment and haven't been able to find anything. I sure would like to get some more info on it if you have any handy.

PR,

It was Zak that talked about the Japanese scientist.  I will check to see if I can come up with something.  I'd like to know about this also.  Maybe if he comes back on the board today, he can give us a link or point us in that direction.

Yes, the poor fit into this category, IMO.  The poor (as the poor because of a lack of money) have always been experimented on.  I think it's been without their knowledge.  Then, sometimes you will see an ad in the paper that such and such hospital is looking for volunteers for a certain experimental drug.  Tell me, do ya think anyone educated, and with money, would ever volunteer themselves for something like that?  I don't.  I'm not rich but I'm ON to what's going on out there. I stay away from mainstream medicine as much as I can.  In the one article on childhood vaccinations, the writer warned about what could happen if one brought this up with the pediatrician.  I've been kind of brave in the past because I did bring up some things (not vaccinations) and guess what, they KNOW more than I do.  Leave it up to them.  Yea, right.  I'm not going to go into detail but I just stopped going to any Doc other than one that's an M.D. in alternative medicine.  Problem with them is that one has to pay upfront and file their own claims. They usually aren't affiliated with a hospital so one still has to have a mainstream Doc in case one has need of a hospital.  It can be problematic, especailly if one doesn't have the money.  Told ya, it's going to be the rich and the poor.  No middle class.  We're in the throes of it now.

Oh Lord God, come back quickly.  Rescue Your people from the snare and wiles of the enemy.

Grace and peace,
cris

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2005, 08:40:42 PM »

oops sorry about that I meant to address that part to Zak.

I know what you mean about the Docs/Hospitals.

Tell me, do ya think anyone educated, and with money, would ever volunteer themselves for something like that?
  Only if they had a fatal disease and it was their last resort.  Not me, though. I've been a guinea pig long enough.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
ZakDar

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2005, 09:14:49 PM »

Tell me, do ya think anyone educated, and with money, would ever volunteer themselves for something like that?
  Only if they had a fatal disease and it was their last resort.  Not me, though. I've been a guinea pig long enough.

Here's one.

http://www.discourseanddisclosure.ca/frontPage/tomato.htm

The Japanese scientist is named Dr.  Kei Mori.

More links.

http://www.genesispark.org/genpark/exper/exper.htm
http://www.biblestudymanuals.net/k75.htm

cris
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2005, 09:16:33 PM »

I've been out there on the net and google trying to find that information on the tomato plant experiment and can't find anything.  I've been out there since I last posted, a bit over an hour.  I've typed in everything I can think of.  It must be part of another article.

Where R U Zak?  We need help. Grin

Do you hear me?  Do you hear me now?

H
                 E
                       L
                            P
cris
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2005, 09:33:52 PM »

Here's one.

http://www.discourseanddisclosure.ca/frontPage/tomato.htm

The Japanese scientist is named Dr.  Kei Mori.

More links.

http://www.genesispark.org/genpark/exper/exper.htm
http://www.biblestudymanuals.net/k75.htm

Thanks Zak.  You must have been typing away as I was calling ya. Wink Smiley

Grace and peace,
cris

ZakDar

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2005, 09:49:29 PM »

I'll leave you with another intriguing thought. If under the conditions described, plants grow so quickly and enormously, what kind of animal do you think God would have created to control such plant life?

I would imagine they would have to have huge appetites, and be very large. Kind of like a living lawn mower. Know of such a creature? Ever hear of a brontosaurus?

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2005, 10:12:04 PM »

Thanks Zak. I have to admit it does make a lot of sense.

cris
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2005, 10:12:33 PM »

I'll leave you with another intriguing thought. If under the conditions described, plants grow so quickly and enormously, what kind of animal do you think God would have created to control such plant life?

I would imagine they would have to have huge appetites, and be very large. Kind of like a living lawn mower. Know of such a creature? Ever hear of a brontosaurus?

Intriguing!

"Kind of like a living lawnmower" Grin.  I can just visualize them.  I'm not sure I would have wanted to live back in those days. Grin

I'm wondering how tall "normal" man was, as opposed to the giants who roamed the earth?  

I've listened to Dr. Carl Baugh on TV but not recently.  He has a program on TBN.

Interesting articles.  I'll go back and read the last one again as I breezed thru, fast.  I think I've heard most of what the article talked about on Baugh's program.  I'll be interested to hear about his project when it's completed.  Should be interesting.

Grace and peace,
cris

ZakDar

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2005, 10:24:13 AM »

"You're into the bodily effects of GM food much more than I am though."

Believe me it wasn't by choice. Was diagnosed with type II diabetes a couple of years ago, and I've been researching ever since. I found out that the food is the problem, and the reason there's such an epidemic of diabetes in North America.

But I started here:

http://www.healingmatters.com/
(For those with diabetes, this fellow claims a cure)

God gave me a couple of words regarding this:

Gen 1:29  And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.

Eze 4:9  Take thou also unto thee wheat, and barley, and beans, and lentiles, and millet, and fitches, and put them in one vessel, and make thee bread thereof, according to the number of the days that thou shalt lie upon thy side, three hundred and ninety days shalt thou eat thereof.

I took this to mean that the Lord was leading me to go vegetarian, or largely increase the plant-based foods in my diet.

From there I've been doing considerable research into food, and of course I came across organic foods. In Canada, Loblaws is THE major grocery store, and they have dedicated a considerable amount to organic food. They also distribute a local free magazine called Vitality (http://www.vitalitymagazine.com/) that had a number of articles on GM foods.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the