Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 04:10:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286833 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Fellowship
| |-+  You name it!! (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  WHO: Genetically Modified Foods Need Safety Assessments
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: WHO: Genetically Modified Foods Need Safety Assessments  (Read 3629 times)
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« on: June 25, 2005, 10:48:20 AM »

All Headline News

June 25, 2005 1:35 a.m. EST

Danielle George - All Headline News Staff Reporter

Geneva, Switzerland (AHN) - The World Health Organization (WHO) releases a report on the benefits and risks associated with genetically modified (GM) foods.  According to the report GM foods can lead to better nutrition, but they also need to be monitored since they contain new genes that have yet to be introduced in the food chain.

The director of WHO's Food Safety Department, Dr. Jorgen Schlundt says, "GM foods should be examined from many standpoints, including the social and ethical, in addition to the health and environmental. If we help our Member States to do this on a national level we can avoid creating a 'genetic divide' between those countries which permit GM crops and those which do not."

The WHO says there are now 15 international legally-binding instruments and nonbinding codes of practice which address some aspect of GM organisms.  While many developed countries have established specific pre-market regulatory systems requiring the rigorous case-by-case risk assessment of GM foods prior to their release, many developing countries lack the capacity to implement a similar system.

The WHO is working with partners such as the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations and the United Nations Environment Programme to help countries examine the introduction of a given GM food from all angles.

Dr. Schlundt adds, "We can hope to gain the health and nutritional improvements of GM foods when we can help countries to research how they can control and exploit the introduction of GM products for the benefit of their own people."

http://www.allheadlinenews.com/cgi-bin/news/newsbrief.plx?id=2239355444&fa=1

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
cris
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2005, 11:58:33 AM »

All Headline News

June 25, 2005 1:35 a.m. EST

Danielle George - All Headline News Staff Reporter

Geneva, Switzerland (AHN) - The World Health Organization (WHO) releases a report on the benefits and risks associated with genetically modified (GM) foods.  According to the report GM foods can lead to better nutrition, but they also need to be monitored since they contain new genes that have yet to be introduced in the food chain.

The director of WHO's Food Safety Department, Dr. Jorgen Schlundt says, "GM foods should be examined from many standpoints, including the social and ethical, in addition to the health and environmental. If we help our Member States to do this on a national level we can avoid creating a 'genetic divide' between those countries which permit GM crops and those which do not."

The WHO says there are now 15 international legally-binding instruments and nonbinding codes of practice which address some aspect of GM organisms.  While many developed countries have established specific pre-market regulatory systems requiring the rigorous case-by-case risk assessment of GM foods prior to their release, many developing countries lack the capacity to implement a similar system.

The WHO is working with partners such as the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations and the United Nations Environment Programme to help countries examine the introduction of a given GM food from all angles.

Dr. Schlundt adds, "We can hope to gain the health and nutritional improvements of GM foods when we can help countries to research how they can control and exploit the introduction of GM products for the benefit of their own people."

http://www.allheadlinenews.com/cgi-bin/news/newsbrief.plx?id=2239355444&fa=1

World Health Organization.  That name gives me the willies.  What's your opinion PR on this article?

I believe God knew what He was doing when He created the food we are supposed to eat.  No way do I believe man can modify food for human consumption.  I seem to think if modified food is better than our Creator's food, then is a modified human okay, too?  I believe, eventually, all this consumption of modified food will modify the cells in our bodies, hence, humans will be different.  They will still consider themselves to be human, yet they really won't be.  Take a look at the PRION problem.  They can't be killed.  It all started with feeding cattle by-products of blood, animal remains, etc.  It was done for economics------money.  Now,  look at what we have in our beef industry, Man Cow Disease. Man just keeps on creating more problems.  Man cannot do better than God----it's just that simple.

Well, I've said elsewhere in posts that I'm really disgusted with all the evil going on in this world.  This genetically food, etc. IS evil.  It's actually creating more problems.

Well, isn't this is a good way to start a day.............ranting!

cris
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2005, 01:00:37 PM »

Correction above..........................I meant Mad Cow and not Man Cow.............and it was supposed to be genetically altered food and not genetically food.

Sorry!

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2005, 01:29:51 PM »

Sorry Chris, I didn't mean to ruin your day.

I don't trust WHO. They have supported many things that I find scary. I must agree with them here, there needs to be more research done on GM foods and when (IF) they do I am sure they'll find it bad for human consumption.

I am not against natural genetic improvement of plants just this genetically engineered stuff. What I call natural genetic improvements ....  My Dad planted white corn with yellow corn and came up with a plant that is commonly called "Peaches and Cream" now. He did this many years before the  seed companies came up with it. It is simply a cross pollination of the same like kind plant.

I am not against grafting of one tree to another either. This was done even in Biblical times and was not taught against, but again it was done with like kinds.

The genetic engineering process mixes genes from unlike kinds. (i.e. a gene that spiders use for making webs strong being placed in sheep to strengthen their wool. This is messing with Gods order of things and is going to get us all into a whole lot of trouble.

It is indicated in a non-biblical ancient text (I can't remember which one now) that this sort of thing took place during Noahs time before the flood and is one of the reasons that God brought about the flood. Now I don't know how true this is as it was a non-biblical source but for some reason I find it believeable.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
cris
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2005, 02:22:57 PM »

No PR, you didn't ruin my day.  No need to apologize.  I'm just very upset with all the evil going on.  I posted elsewhere that the government allowed (for 10 years now) unlabeled genetically altered food on our supermarket shelves.  Most people don't have the slightest idea that they're eating it.  It really makes me furious.  Enough so that I'm ready to go down on a corner protesting it.

I see nothing wrong with what your dad did with the corn and I see nothing wrong with tree grafting.  Even though it isn't exactly the same, we, the gentiles are even grafted into the vine.

I never heard about this thing taking place in Noah's day, or maybe something very similar.  I'm with you about finding it believable though.  They didn't have this kind of technology in those days and I'm wondering what exactly they did know way back then.

If I'm this furious about what's going on, then I can't imagine what our precious God and Savior, Jesus Christ, must feel.  It's a good thing I'm not God cause, well, you know what I'm getting at.  Oh, how much Love He has for His people!  If that doesn't prove how unworthy, how truly loveless we really are, then I guess nothing will.  I'm meaning, by loveless, we think we love others, but it's NOTHING in comparison to His Love.  My pain is nothing compared to His.  Now, maybe we know a little bit about what Jesus meant when He expected us to share in His sufferings.  He took the brunt of it all for us.  I'm just thinking about how He asked His apostles to stay awake while He prayed. They didn't. He really isn't asking much if one thinks about it from another perspective.  Whew!

It's the middle of the day but I think I need to go take some Sominex or Nytol and chill out for a bit. Grin Grin

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2005, 02:47:38 PM »

The texts that cover this in Noahs day, if I remember right, covered animals that show up in greek mythology. These techniques were supposedly taught to the people by the fallen angels.

I know what you mean about it making you furious.

Speaking of Nytol did you know that the main ingrediant is Diphenhydramine, a common antihistamine more commonly known today as Benadryl? Benadryl knocks me out. No wonder they put it in Nytol.

cris
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2005, 06:38:46 PM »

The texts that cover this in Noahs day, if I remember right, covered animals that show up in greek mythology. These techniques were supposedly taught to the people by the fallen angels.

I know what you mean about it making you furious.

Speaking of Nytol did you know that the main ingrediant is Diphenhydramine, a common antihistamine more commonly known today as Benadryl? Benadryl knocks me out. No wonder they put it in Nytol.

Whoa, this is the first time I've heard about this.  Greek mythology may not be mythology after all.  Hmmm.  This is something.  I can believe it.  John's visions?  Whoa!  What's coming?

I had forgotten about the ingredient in Nytol.  I vaguely remember now.  I don't take either Sominex or Nytol.  I was only kidding about taking them earlier on.  I did go lie down though. Grin  I've taken Benadryl, but it's been a very long time since I did.

Very interesting about the fallen angels giving such information to man.

Grace and peace,
cris

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2005, 07:09:10 PM »

It is something to contemplate but I don't put a whole lot of weight to this story. There are a lot of old manuscripts of non-biblical source that are quite heretical.

I believe it is one of those mysteries that will stay a mystery at least in this lifetime.

cris
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2005, 08:17:46 PM »

It is something to contemplate but I don't put a whole lot of weight to this story. There are a lot of old manuscripts of non-biblical source that are quite heretical.

I believe it is one of those mysteries that will stay a mystery at least in this lifetime.

I know there's lots of heretical writings out there.  There isn't much else I can do other than contemplate on it.  I think there's an old saying that goes something like this, "there's some truth in everything you hear."

Personally, I think those fallen angels are all around us, still.  I really believe they manifest themselves as psychopaths sometimes.

Oh Lord God, come quickly!

ZakDar

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2005, 01:23:36 PM »

Man!! Did YOU open a number of cans of worms here!! LOL!!

First off, the WHO is filthy. There are NOT benevolent. Their hidden agenda is just like every other org out there - MONEY!! And they have been bought by the pharmaceutical giants.

As for man in the time of Noah, don't discount their knowledge. There's a few theories circulating out there, and some are not only plausible, but aspect are being proven.

For example, one theory being proposed by creationist scientists:

The earth, pre-flood, was encased by a metalized hydrogen "bubble", which protected every living thing on the planet. The sun was filtered properly, and there was no rain. The earth was watered from below (Gen 2:6  But there went up a mist from the earth, and watered the whole face of the ground.)

This bubble provided an atmosphere of 2, (currently 1), and ensured much greater oxygen in the air. This increased pressure and oxygen would cause a wound to heal in a day. Also, the animals and plants would grow much larger.

A Japanese scientist has grown a tomato plant under these conditions in an environment he built himself. The plant grew to 16 feet high, and produced over 500 tomatoes.

Also, medical scientists have proven the increased healing capabilities in this environment. Remember stories about those oxygen chamber treatments? Now think about who would gain if they could suppress that knowledge.

So with this bubble around the planet, it didn't rain. As stated earlier, the earth was watered from below. So how did the flood occur? The theory proposed that there was a massive explosion from the earth, (volcano-type explosion), that ejected the water into the atmosphere, shattering the protective bubble.

Now, of course, all that water needs to go somewhere, and back down it went. Where did this massive explsion take place? Think of the ring of fire in the Pacific ocean.

There are other details about this theory that slip my mind at the moment, but I'm sure you can google "creation scientist" and find some sources.

As for those fallen angels that created the giants, I think reading the Book of Enoch would provide some wonderful ijnformation in that respect. Is it considered canon? Nope. But consider that the apostles and the early church fathers very much read the Book of Enoch.

The LORD bless thee, and keep thee:
The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee:
The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.
ZakDar

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2005, 02:05:44 PM »

Forgot to comment on the gentic stuff.

Keep in mind thatt the Bible states that each reproduced after its own "kind". Kind is NOT a specific species. Kind would be better interpreted a dog or canine, horse, cattle. So, within each of these "kinds", you can have many varied breeds.

I would summarize then, that cross breeding, (animal kingdom)and cross pollinating (plant kingdom) would be totally legitimate with the "kind".

But as mention earlier, introducing insect genes into a plant, or one that I more recently found out is human cancer genes being introduced into plants, is probably going to meet with disastrous results.

And that staement by the WHO about GM leading to better nutrition is false. It is already proven that natural plants produce up to 30% more nutrients than their genetic counterparts. What the GM foods can do is produce greater harvets (supposedly). I have my doubts about that one too.

Many in the organic movement feel the GM movement, funded by large corporations, have a more devious agenda such as market domination. Think about this. Recently here in canada, a farmer was sued by Monsanto because he saved some seeds from his last year's crop, to plant this year. Monsanto found out about it because he didn't buy any seed from them in the current year. So they sued him, and actually won the lawsuit!!!! If that isn't a monoploy agenda, then I don't know what one is. But you can see that the strategy is to make farmers BUY seed every year.

The LORD bless thee, and keep thee:
The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee:
The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2005, 02:43:32 PM »

I would like to find out more about the metalized hydrogen "bubble" project. Guess I'll have to go surfing on that one as I find it quite interesting.

The only thing I have seen with the GM being better is in corn. It does increase the yeild per acre as they are resistant to disease and insects but at what cost .....

JudgeNot
Gold Member

Jesus, remember me... Luke 23:42

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2005, 03:07:26 PM »

I've got a question regarding this - -
How about the "engineered" golden rice, (with Beta-carotene) for the purposes of improved yield and, more importantly (it is said) as a disease-fighting agent for poor, third world countries?  

Good or bad?

Covering your tracks is futile; God knows where you're going and where you've been.
JPD
cris
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2005, 03:35:21 PM »

I've got a question regarding this - -
How about the "engineered" golden rice, (with Beta-carotene) for the purposes of improved yield and, more importantly (it is said) as a disease-fighting agent for poor, third world countries?  

Good or bad?

I said it elsewhere and I'll say it again, it's politics at fault here.  It isn't a lack of food.  Disease fighting agent for the poor, third world countries?  Well, considering, I'm surprised they aren't all dead by now.

I personally believe nothing GM (albeit within "kind" as ZakDar put it) is any good for human consumption, period.  No one knows the outcome for future generations.  I won't even eat GM corn, and I sure miss corn on the cob. Don't ask me how, (there is info on it out there in the WWW) but GM planting is contaminating the soil God gave us to take care of, not to mention cross pollination.  If we eat anything GM, we are not being good stewards of what God gave us.  Evil is creeping in oh so subtly and we're buying it. Grin   Pardon the pun!  God's food has worked for thousands of years.  I do understand that GM crops might give a higher yield, they might withstand droughts, etc., but what is that in comparison to what it might do to the cells in our bodies, our brains, and that of our children and grandchildren?  I'm against GM, totally.  Ar.............rrrrgh!

Beta-carotene alone isn't going to fight disease.  A balance of all vitamins, minerals, amino acids, etc. and hygiene is the answer here.  Adding in more beta-carotene will eventually create imbalances elsewhere.

Everyone, well, almost everyone has to have a beautiful, lush green lawn.  To get that they use chemicals which are contaminating our land and AIR.  We really need to wake up.  Rant is over, for now! Grin

cris
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2005, 06:22:37 PM »

Hey Zak,

You're posts are really good ones.  Keep 'em coming.  I'm  really interested in what you have to say on this GM and organic foods front.

Thanks.

Grace and peace,
cris

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the