Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 10:22:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286831 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Fellowship
| |-+  For Men Only (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Bible Minute
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 130 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bible Minute  (Read 299706 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: August 10, 2006, 12:26:33 AM »

Daily Bible Study
With Woodrow Kroll

Date: Aug 8, 2006
Topic: Christian Living/Situational

The Benefits of Discipline

I went into a store the other day and saw a young boy throwing a major temper tantrum because his mom wouldn't get him what he wanted. When the mother tried to reason with her son, it didn't work; so she just gave in and bought him what he wanted. I wondered what the child just learned from his mother.

What Does God Say?

What do you think the Bible would say about this? Proverbs 22:15 states that " a youngster's heart is filled with foolishness, but discipline will drive it away" (NLT).

* What is a natural way for a child to act?
    * What is at least one benefit of discipline?
    * Who is responsible for the discipline?

My Thoughts

When you hear the word "discipline," what do you think? Is it a positive or negative word to you? How can you discipline your child in a positive way? What would you do differently with the child who threw a temper tantrum in the store if he were part of your family?

My Part

* Look up at least five passages of Scripture that deal with disciplining a child (whether for a little child of yours or you as a child of God), and think through the motivation God has for such discipline.
    * You can go to an on-line Bible study tool or Bible concordance and look for the word "discipline." The Book of Proverbs is an excellent place to start.
    * Communicate to the Lord or others this week about what you will apply to your life with what God has taught you through this study.

This devotional is freely distributed by Back To The Bible.
Did you enjoy this devotional?
Send it on for a friend to enjoy.
FREE E-mail Subscription:
http://www.backtothebible.org/devotions/

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 10, 2006, 12:27:39 AM »

Daily Bible Study
With Woodrow Kroll

Date: Aug 9, 2006

Showing Your Appreciation

If you're a parent, you know what a challenge it is to praise your children as much as you discipline them. That sounds kind of funny, but the truth is, most parents tend to more readily notice bad behavior than good behavior. You want your kids to learn right from wrong, appropriate actions from inappropriate, etc. So, it's natural to see bad behavior or disobedience and rush to correct it, but then take for granted or overlook the good things.

Giving praise, showing appreciation, thanking a child for his work…these are things your kids need to hear as much as they hear your correction. These are gifts you can give that don't cost you more than a minute of your time, and perhaps a little extra effort.

What Does God Say?

"And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds" (Hebrews 10:24, NIV).

"Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord" (Ephesians 6:4, NIV).

* How could praising and showing appreciation to your children "spur" them on toward "love and good deeds"?
    * What's the opposite of "exasperating"? How can you bring your children up in the "instruction of the Lord" using a combination of discipline and praise?

My Thoughts

Think for a moment about each one of your children. Each of them has a unique personality with a one-of-a-kind "gift set"--things that they're good at, special abilities, etc. How can you encourage your children in what they excel at or in what they do right? What can you say to praise them when you catch them going "above and beyond" (like, clearing the dishes without being asked or cleaning up someone else's mess)? What "rewards" (even if it's just a verbal one) could you give to reinforce good behavior?

My Part

Today, watch closely. See how your children interact with each other or their friends. Listen to how they talk. Observe their behavior when you give them instruction. And at least one time, encourage them. Thank them for doing something right. Build them up by just talking to them about how cool they are, how much you appreciate them or what they're really good at. Give them the gift of praise.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 11, 2006, 04:38:34 PM »

Daily Bible Study
With Woodrow Kroll

Date: Aug 10, 2006

It's About Time

Christmas may be four months away yet, but I'm sure your kids will tell you that it's never too soon to start thinking about gifts. So, what is the perfect gift for your kids? You won't find it at Wal-Mart. It's not offered at Toys"R"Us. In fact, you can't sell this gift even though it's a most precious commodity. Give up? The gift is time.

The value of time is something that even kids understand. So, think of the message you send your kids when you let them know that they are worth your time.

What Does God Say?

Time invested in your child's life will have an impact that will follow them into their adult life. In fact, in one of the apostle Paul's letters to a man named Timothy, Paul encourages the young man to remember the time his mother and grandmother spent with him when he was younger.

"I have been reminded of your sincere faith, which first lived in your grandmother Lois and in your mother Eunice and, I am persuaded, now lives in you also" (2 Timothy 1:5, NIV).

"But as for you [Timothy], continue in what you have learned and have become convinced of, because you know those from whom you learned it, and how from infancy you have known the holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus" (2 Timothy 3:14-15, NIV)

My Thoughts

How did Eunice and Lois spend their time with Timothy? How did this prepare Timothy for when he was older? What is the benefit of learning the Scriptures at a young age?

My Part

While teaching spiritual truths to our children is important, don't feel that all your time with your kids needs to be spent with the Bible open. Go for a walk, play a game, talk about the day. But whatever you do, do something. In the end, it won't be the activities that your child remembers, it will be that his or her parents cared enough to give them their time.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 11, 2006, 04:39:43 PM »

Daily Bible Study
With Woodrow Kroll

Date: Aug 11, 2006

The Gift of Love

Someone has said, "Do you know how to spell love to your family? It's T-I-M-E." There's a world of truth in that. The old adage that it's the quality of time, not the quantity that counts is simply not true. Both are important. And the Bible shows us what happens when we fail to remember this.

What Does God Say?

David was so busy being king that he didn't have time for his children. While they had all the benefits of being children of the most powerful person in Israel, they didn't have the benefit of a father. And the consequences were serious.

Absalom, David's son by Maacah, killed his brother and then fled to Geshur where his mother's father was king. You would think David would have learned from this experience, but when he relented and let Absalom come home, notice what he did.

"Then Joab went to Geshur and brought Absalom back to Jerusalem. But the king gave this order: 'Absalom may go to his own house, but he must never come into my presence.' So Absalom did not see the king…Absalom lived in Jerusalem for two years without getting to see the king" (2 Samuel 14:23-24,28; NLT).

* What was David's command concerning his son?
    * How long was Absalom back in Jerusalem and still had not seen his father?
    * How do you think this made Absalom feel?

My Thoughts

Looking back over this past week, how much time did you spend with your child/children. What did you do? Would this be considered both quantity as well as quality?

My Part

This week, plan a quantity and quality time with your children. If possible, do something individually with them. If not, plan a time that will be special for all of them.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 14, 2006, 06:39:49 PM »

Daily Bible Study
With Woodrow Kroll

Date: Aug 14, 2006

Giving to God

The man was explaining his problem to his pastor. "Preacher, it's like this. When I became a Christian, I began tithing--every week without fail giving my offering. But in these last few years, my salary has increased and that ten percent is now so much money, I struggle to give even half of it. Would you ask God to help me?"

"Certainly," replied the pastor and so he prayed, "Oh God, I pray for the difficulty my brother is experiencing. Please reduce his income down to where he can afford to give cheerfully. Amen!"

What Does God Say?

"If you are really eager to give, it isn't important how much you are able to give. God wants you to give what you have, not what you don't have" (2 Corinthians 8:12, NLT).

"One of them, when he saw that he was healed, came back to Jesus, shouting, 'Praise God, I'm healed!' He fell face down on the ground at Jesus' feet, thanking him for what he had done. This man was a Samaritan. Jesus asked, 'Didn't I heal ten men? Where are the other nine? Does only this foreigner return to give glory to God?'" (Luke 17:15-18, NLT).

"Best of all, they went beyond our highest hopes, for their first action was to dedicate themselves to the Lord and to us for whatever directions God might give them" (2 Corinthians 8:5, NLT).

"You must each make up your own mind as to how much you should give. Don't give reluctantly or in response to pressure. For God loves the person who gives cheerfully. And God will generously provide all you need. Then you will always have everything you need and plenty left over to share with others" (2 Corinthians 9:7-8, NLT).

My Thoughts

* According to the above Scripture, what does God desire most? You or your money?
    * Is equal giving among Christians important to God?
    * Does God really need your money?
    * What attitude does God want you to have toward money and giving?

When it comes to giving, is it hard for you to live out what the Bible says? What is most difficult about it? What is the easiest? Write down one way you will commit to becoming a giving person, and put down the name of one person that needs your generosity.

My Part

"You know how full of love and kindness our Lord Jesus Christ was. Though he was very rich, yet for your sakes he became poor, so that by his poverty he could make you rich" (2 Corinthians 8:9, NLT).

Take time now to pray and ask God to fill your heart with praise and gratitude for the great gift of our Lord Jesus. And then ask God to enable you to become more like Jesus so your life is an offering to others of God's love and kindness.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 16, 2006, 01:01:38 AM »

Daily Bible Study
With Woodrow Kroll

Date: Aug 15, 2006

Give 'Til It Hurts

Thomas Cannon died in 2005 at the age of 79. He had worked for the postal service and never made more than $25,000 a year. Yet by the end of his life, he had given away more than $156,000. How could a person who made so little give so much? He lived in a house without central heat, air conditioning or a telephone and worked overtime so he could save money to give away.

The churches in Macedonia practiced this same kind of sacrificial giving. And you and I should as well.

What Does God Say?

"Now I want to tell you, dear brothers and sisters, what God in his kindness has done for the churches in Macedonia. Though they have been going through much trouble and hard times, their wonderful joy and deep poverty have overflowed in rich generosity. For I can testify that they gave not only what they could afford but far more. And they did it of their own free will. They begged us again and again for the gracious privilege of sharing in the gift for the Christians in Jerusalem. Best of all, they went beyond our highest hopes, for their first action was to dedicate themselves to the Lord and to us for whatever directions God might give them.

"So we have urged Titus, who encouraged your giving in the first place, to return to you and encourage you to complete your share in this ministry of giving. Since you excel in so many ways--you have so much faith, such gifted speakers, such knowledge, such enthusiasm, and such love for us--now I want you to excel also in this gracious ministry of giving. I am not saying you must do it, even though the other churches are eager to do it. This is one way to prove your love is real" (2 Corinthians 8:1-8, NLT).

* What were the churches in Macedonia experiencing at the time Paul wrote?
    * How much did these churches give?
    * What does this prove?

My Thoughts

Describe a time when you gave sacrificially. How did it make you feel?

My Part

Choose to make a sacrifice this week. Perhaps it would be to give up going to a movie, having that daily cup of special coffee or whatever. Use the money to give a sacrificial gift to someone who is experiencing need.

Additional Scripture: Romans 12:1-2, Exodus 36:3-7

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 17, 2006, 07:53:15 AM »

Daily Bible Study
With Woodrow Kroll

Date: Aug 16, 2006

Good Giving

When it comes to giving, are your children learning from your words or your actions? Words are great but there's no substitute for seeing the real thing in action. And sometimes we forget that our children--or other people around us--are watching to see if, as Christians, what we say and what we do match up. How and when and why we give is one of those areas of life where others watch for our example.

What Does God Say?

First, let's remember that we give because God has given us everything. In John 3:27, John the Baptist reminds us, "A person cannot receive even one thing unless it is given him from heaven" (ESV.) And in Deuteronomy 8:18 it says, "You shall remember the LORD your God, for it is he who gives you power to get wealth, that he may confirm his covenant that he swore to your fathers, as it is this day" (ESV).

When we give, whether it's an offering at church, support for a missionary or clothing for the local rescue mission, we're acknowledging God's generosity to us and thanking Him. It's an act of worship, honoring God: "Honor the LORD with your wealth and with the best part of everything your land produces" (Proverbs 3:9, NLT).

Giving is also a way of exercising compassion and meeting needs just as Jesus did. The apostle Paul gave instructions for giving in 2 Corinthians 9:5-7:

"So I thought I should send these brothers ahead of me to make sure the gift you promised is ready. But I want it to be a willing gift, not one given under pressure. Remember this--a farmer who plants only a few seeds will get a small crop. But the one who plants generously will get a generous crop. You must each make up your own mind as to how much you should give. Don't give reluctantly or in response to pressure. For God loves the person who gives cheerfully" (NLT).

When one of the early churches had a need, other Christians collected a special offering to help. We still do that today—providing help for churches, individuals and those in other parts of the world.

Sometimes we think we don't have enough to give; we can barely cover our own needs and make ends meet. Remember that God doesn't ask for you to give everything but what you are able. Deuteronomy 16:17 says, "All must give as they are able, according to the blessings given to them by the LORD your God" (NLT, emphasis added).

My Thoughts

Go back to 2 Corinthians 9:5-7, and jot down a few attitudes about giving you see there.

* Are these attitudes evident when you give at church or to other needs?
    * Does your family know how and when and why you give?
    * What are some ways you can give that will set an example to your children and family?

My Part

Look for a specific way you can teach your children about giving both in words and by your example. It may be a special need at church (missions projects, summer outreach), in your community through a rescue mission or assistance, or for someone you know with a specific need.

Ask your kids for their suggestions. Maybe set a goal (a monetary amount or items and let them raise the money or collect the items). Check your attitude with 2 Corinthians 9:5-7, and get involved. Make your words and your actions fit together to honor God and teach your family.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 17, 2006, 07:54:36 AM »

Daily Bible Study
With Woodrow Kroll

Date: Aug 17, 2006
Topic: Service/Servanthood

A Life of Giving

Have you ever watched a child's reaction as they receive a ten dollar bill? Their eye's grow wide and their mouth hangs slightly agape--in their mind they are the richest person in the world. They can buy anything.

Maybe that's why it's hard to teach our children about giving. We remember how rich that ten dollars made us feel when we were kids, and the thought of asking the child to give some of it away is just too much. But it's important to teach our children the importance of giving, because we all know that it doesn't get any easier with age.

What Does God Say?

Let's look at the example of a woman found in the Old Testament. We don't know her name, but her actions have a lot to teach us about giving. Her story is found in 2 Kings 4: "One day Elisha went to the town of Shunem. A wealthy woman lived there, and she invited him to eat some food. From then on, whenever he passed that way, he would stop there to eat. She said to her husband, 'I am sure this man who stops in from time to time is a holy man of God. Let's make a little room for him on the roof and furnish it with a bed, a table, a chair, and a lamp. Then he will have a place to stay whenever he comes by'" (vv. 8-10, NLT).

My Thoughts

As you read through the above verses, think about the following questions:

* What was important about Elisha?
    * Why do you think the woman invited Elisha in, rather than just giving him money?
    * Did the woman have to provide a room? What might have motivated her?

There are at least three points we can learn from this passage: 1) Our giving should be directed toward doing the Lord's work. 2) Giving doesn't have to directly involve money. Sometimes what a person needs most isn't cash, it's fellowship. And 3) giving should be generous. It's important to know about tithing, that is, giving 10 percent. But there's nothing that says we can't give beyond that 10 percent.

My Part

It's also hard to teach our children about giving because we know how difficult it is to give ourselves. Maybe as a parent you need help in your own attitudes about giving. Pray today that God will help you be able to live a godly example before your children. As you teach your children, encourage them to look for needs they can meet in their neighborhood. Perhaps they can buy an action figure with their money for a friend who doesn't have any. Or maybe an ice-cream cone on a hot day. Finally, pray along with your children that God will open your eyes to the needs of the people around you. Ask Him to show you how you can help meet their needs.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 21, 2006, 11:49:46 PM »

Daily Bible Study
With Woodrow Kroll

Date: Aug 18, 2006

Sowing and Reaping

The great reformer Martin Luther observed, "There are three conversions necessary: the conversion of the heart, mind and the purse." Often times we are more ready to give God our heart and mind than we are our pocketbook. But the Bible has some definite guidelines that can help us in this area.

What Does God Say?

"Remember this--a farmer who plants only a few seeds will get a small crop. But the one who plants generously will get a generous crop. You must each make up your own mind as to how much you should give. Don't give reluctantly or in response to pressure. For God loves the person who gives cheerfully. And God will generously provide all you need. Then you will always have everything you need and plenty left over to share with others" (2 Corinthians 9:6-8, NLT)

* How would you summarize the "sowing and reaping" principle?
    * How do we determine how much to give?
    * What should our attitude toward giving be?

My Thoughts

Pull out your previous year's tax return, and see how much you gave to charity for the year. How much of this went to your church or other Christian ministry? Calculate the percentage of your income that was given to the Lord's work. Based on the seeds you've sown, how much of a crop do you think you'll reap?

My Part

Sit down with your children this week and explain the "sowing and reaping" principle. Help them to work out a plan to set aside a portion of their "income" for the Lord's work (let them determine the amount). Demonstrate this same principle in your life as a model for your children to follow.

Additional Scripture: Malachi 3:8-10

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 21, 2006, 11:50:55 PM »

Daily Bible Study
With Woodrow Kroll

Date: Aug 21, 2006
Topic: Relationships

Respecting Your Kids

Aretha Franklin sang about it. Rodney Dangerfield joked about. But respect is one of those things that's not a laughing matter; it's something everyone wants, and something we need to model for our kids if we want them to understand what it's all about.

If you're a parent or grandparent, you've most likely made it a priority to teach your children or grandchildren about respect. But what have your teaching methods been like? Yes, we need to talk about respect; we need to define it for our kids; we need to show them what God says. But we also need to "live it out" in our lives, in the way we treat others, and in the way we treat our children. Our kids may be under our authority--and they hear time and again the importance of respecting authority figures. But how we treat them can go a long way in their understanding of respect.

Ever thought about that--the concept of respecting your children? How well you respect them may determine, in large part, how well they respect you.

What Does God Say?

"Grandchildren are the crowning glory of the aged; parents are the pride of their children" (Proverbs 17:6, NLT).

"Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger, but bring them up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord " (Ephesians 6:4, ESV).

"People with good sense restrain their anger; they earn esteem by overlooking wrongs " (Proverbs 19:11, NLT).

* Do you treat your kids like they're a gift from God--or like they're an "interruption" in your schedule?
    * How can you model the Proverbs 19:11 verse for your kids in the way you treat them?
    * What's the opposite of "provoking" your children? How can you be sure you don't provoke them to anger?
    * If you're a grandparent, what can you do to model respect for your grandchildren?

My Thoughts

We spend a lot of time as parents talking to our kids about the importance of "honoring" us as parents and respecting authority. Now, let's think for a second about turning the tables. What can you do to model respect in the way you treat them?

When your kids come to you with help for homework, to discuss a problem at school, to talk about something fun they want to do, what's your reaction? Do you put aside what you're doing and focus on them, giving them your undivided attention?

How do you treat your children's "stuff"? That art project from school may be cluttering up the kitchen table or a desk, but it's probably something your child put a lot of thought and energy into. What can you do to respect your kids' things?

Do you respect your kids' need to "get away" and have a little time and space for themselves, especially if you've got a teenager or two? As children grow in independence, part of showing respect for them means giving them space and allowing them privacy.

My Part

This week, think of one thing you can do to respect your kids. Maybe you need to make sure you're listening with your ears and your eyes when they approach you to talk. Or maybe you need to allow your teenager more privacy. Or it could be that you need to pay closer attention to the tone of voice you use when you speak to your kids. Starting today, teach your children respect by respecting them.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 26, 2006, 10:23:28 AM »

Daily Bible Study
With Woodrow Kroll

Date: Aug 22, 2006

Lead by Following

In the 1955 film Rebel Without A Cause, James Dean gave the performance of his young life. As Jim Stark, Dean played a youth who was fed up with the way things were and was desperate to do anything he could to find some meaning in life. His portrayal shaped a generation of young people as well as influencing many generations to come.

Today, youth are still seeking meaning and independence. Sometimes in that pursuit, they seem to forsake those who love them. Let's take a look at what the Bible has to say about dealing with a disrespectful child.

What Does God Say?

"True humility and fear of the LORD lead to riches, honor, and long life. The deceitful walk a thorny, treacherous road; whoever values life will stay away. Teach your children to choose the right path, and when they are older, they will remain upon it" (Proverbs 22:4-6, NLT)

* What do true humility and fear of the Lord mean?
    * What do these verses say about a right path?
    * What do these verses say is your responsibility as a parent?

My Thoughts

Note that the latter part of Proverbs 22 says to teach your children to choose the right path. It does not say force your children down the right path nor does it say teach your children a list of rules. As a parent you have been given the awesome responsibility of teaching your child to choose what is right. How can you do that? (Consider the apostle Paul's comment in 1 Corinthians 11:1).

My Part

This week, commit 1 Corinthians 11:1 to memory. Then, examine your life. Come up with three areas of your life where you feel you can improve in following Christ's example. Ask God for the strength to change your habits to be more like Christ.

On a side note--teenagers are going to be disrespectful at times. The temptation of someone who's treated with disrespect is to lash out with the same. Your teen needs to see a positive example. First Peter 3:9 says, "Don't repay evil for evil. Don't retaliate when people say unkind things about you. Instead, pay them back with a blessing. That is what God wants you to do, and he will bless you for it" (NLT). Your teen needs to see this kind of unconditional love. It just may cause them to think about what they're doing.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 26, 2006, 10:24:32 AM »

Daily Bible Study
With Woodrow Kroll

Date: Aug 23, 2006

Respect the Differences

The dictionary describes "respect" with words like esteem, value, attend to, appreciate or treat with consideration. It's not about following orders or sharp discipline, but dealing with people so they know they're worth your time and attention. As parents, we want our kids to treat us with respect, and that's good. In fact, it's what God wants.

But where do they learn that? Well, mostly from how you treat others in and outside the family, and especially how you treat them. Each child is different, and respecting them as the individuals they are goes a long way in helping them understand the value of respect. (By the way, this is something that applies to grandparents, teachers, club leaders or anyone who has regular interaction with children and young people.)

What Does God Say?

Throughout the Bible, God works with and through individuals, people with unique personalities and varying gifts. Even in families, He records the differences. For example, Isaac and Rebekah had twin sons that couldn't have been less alike!

Take a look at Genesis 25:25-29: "The first came out red, all his body like a hairy cloak, so they called his name Esau. Afterward his brother came out with his hand holding Esau's heel, so his name was called Jacob....When the boys grew up, Esau was a skillful hunter, a man of the field, while Jacob was a quiet man, dwelling in tents. Isaac loved Esau because he ate of his game, but Rebekah loved Jacob" ( ESV).

Unfortunately, the differences between Jacob and Esau led to favoritism by their parents. Isaac loved Esau more, and Rebekah took Jacob's side. This is especially challenging if you have more in common with one child, they're "easier to understand" or more like you. But respecting them and valuing their differences isn't about favoritism or picking sides.

Moses and Aaron offer another example. When God called Moses to lead His people out of slavery in Egypt, Moses balked at his own abilities. So God added Aaron as Moses' helper and "voice."

"But he [Moses] said, 'Oh, my Lord, please send someone else.' Then the anger of the LORD was kindled against Moses and he said, "Is there not Aaron, your brother, the Levite? I know that he can speak well. Behold, he is coming out to meet you, and when he sees you, he will be glad in his heart. You shall speak to him and put the words in his mouth, and I will be with your mouth and with his mouth and will teach you both what to do. He shall speak for you to the people, and he shall be your mouth, and you shall be as God to him....Then Moses and Aaron went and gathered together all the elders of the people of Israel. Aaron spoke all the words that the LORD had spoken to Moses and did the signs in the sight of the people. And the people believed" (Exodus 4:13-16, 29-31, ESV).

Jesus chose 12 disciples (Matthew 10:1-4, Mark 3:13-19) with quite the range of personalities! Just read through the Gospels, and see what you find. And in Romans 16:1-16, Paul greets and lists fellow Christians with just enough detail to show us he valued and respected these unique individuals.

My Thoughts

Jacob was the father of 12 sons and while they had their problems, he recognized their individuality at the end of his life. Read Genesis 49:1-28, and look at Jacob's comments, judgments and blessings. (Warning: they aren't all complimentary!)

* List some of the characteristics or differences Jacob acknowledges about his sons.
    * How would you describe or comment on your children if you made a similar list?

Colossians 3:20-21 and Ephesians 6:1-4 tell children to obey their parents and instruct fathers not to provoke or aggravate their children (various translations use "embitter" or "exasperate").

* What are some ways you probably aggravate or exasperate your child because you don't respect or recognize them as an individual?
    * Have you seen that lead to discouragement or defeat in their lives?

My Part

Take a few minutes to consider or describe your child's unique character. What makes him tick? What motivates or excites her? What gets them down or frustrates them? What gifts or abilities or even personal skills does he have? What does she contribute or bring to your family? What do they each love or hate to do? And thank God for this unique individual He's placed in your home.

Over the next week, make it a point to treat your children with respect. If it means changing how you talk to each other or setting aside one-on-one time, do it. Tell your child what you've noticed and appreciate about them as an individual. If one needs to talk, be sure to listen; if another needs to do something, go along. If you have a quiet one who doesn't open up much, get alone with them and gently ask a few questions. You might be surprised at what you discover and what could change in your relationship with your children.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 26, 2006, 10:25:50 AM »

Daily Bible Study
With Woodrow Kroll

Date: Aug 24, 2006
Topic: Faith/Trust

The Family Trust

Trust in a relationship is one of the greatest things in the world. When people can really trust each other, as in a family, the home becomes a much safer place. Kids don't worry about their parents' decisions because they trust mom and dad to make choices for the good of the family. And parents can sleep easier at night knowing that their kids won't be doing anything they shouldn't.

But trust doesn't happen overnight, and what's more, it can be lost in an instant if people aren't careful. There's a lot the Bible has to say about trusting God, but what does it have to say about trust in the family?

What Does God Say?

In his letter to the Ephesians, Paul gives this advice to children and parents:

"Children, obey your parents because you belong to the Lord, for this is the right thing to do. 'Honor your father and mother.' This is the first of the Ten Commandments that ends with a promise. And this is the promise: If you honor your father and mother, 'you will live a long life, full of blessing.' And now a word to you fathers. Don't make your children angry by the way you treat them. Rather, bring them up with the discipline and instruction approved by the Lord" (Ephesians 6:1-4, NLT).

My Thoughts

First for the parents:

* What's the difference between making your children angry and bringing them up with discipline?
    * Though only the father is mentioned, where should the mother stand in this?
    * How can you seek out the instruction approved by the Lord?

Now for the children:

* What does it mean to "honor" your father and mother?
    * What are the two reasons Paul tells us to honor our parents?
    * What can you do if you find it hard to do what your parents ask you to do?

My Part

Trust in a family can take a long time to develop. That's why it's important to start on day one. Parents, when appropriate, explain to your children why you are disciplining them or asking them to do something they may not like. Children, even if you don't understand your parent's reasons for their decisions, understand that they are acting out of their love for you and their desire to provide a safe and happy home for their family. Most importantly, make sure that as a family you take time learning about God and His love for you. When you can trust God as a family, trusting each other will be that much easier.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 26, 2006, 10:26:55 AM »

Daily Bible Study
With Woodrow Kroll

Date: Aug 25, 2006

Protect the Elderly

James Dobson calls today's generation the "Sandwich Generation," explaining that this generation will not only be responsible for taking care of their children, but also for caring for their aging parents.

But caring for aging parents is sometimes more difficult and may require as much, if not more, effort than raising their children.

God is very clear about our responsibilities for our family and parents.

What Does God Say?

"Whoever robs his father or his mother,
And says, 'It is no transgression,'
The same is companion to a destroyer" (Proverbs 28:24, NKJV).

"But if anyone does not provide for his own, and especially for those of his household, he has denied the faith, and is worse than an unbeliever" (1 Timothy 5:8, NASB).

What do the above verses say about God's thoughts on caring for our parents?

My Thoughts

Here are some major concerns that elderly parents have about their waning years:

* Their children will abandon them.
    * Their children will take their money from them.
    * Their family will simply not help them.
    * They will not be wanted in the homes of their children.
    * They will not have adequate medical care.
    * God will have forgotten them.
    * They will end up living in a run-down and abusive nursing home.
    * They will lose their independence (no car, no longer own their home, no checkbook, unable to see well or hear, etc).

List ways to care for elderly parents that would alleviate their fears and would also be pleasing to God.

My Part

Take time to pray, and ask God to help you provide the love, care and support that your parents need or will need in the future. Thank Him for the way He has taken care of you. Now, ask for His wisdom and guidance in caring for your parents in the same way that you hope that one day your children will take care of you.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 28, 2006, 06:09:29 AM »

Bible Study
With Woodrow Kroll

Title: Finding Your Identity
Date: Aug 28, 2006
Topic(s): God's Love
Scripture: Genesis 1:26-27

So, what do you do for a living? Teach school? Wait tables? Work for a bank or an accounting firm? Maybe you work for a Christian organization or a church and "ministry" happens to be your full-time job. Or maybe you're a stay-at-home mom and your job is a 24/7 kind of thing with a coffee break during nap time if you're lucky.

Whatever your "role," it may be true that a large part of your identity is wrapped up in it. A lot of times we base who we are on what we "do"--our identity is often very closely linked to our career choice or our roles as a husband, wife, mother, grandparent, etc.

God wants us to take our roles seriously...but not to get so wrapped up in them that they determine our self-worth. Who we are, inside and out, is determined by this: We were created in the image of God. No matter what career path you take, what familial role you play--whether you're married or you're single--nothing can change or add to that plain and simple truth.

What Does God Say?

"Then God said, 'Let us make human beings in our image, to be like ourselves. They will reign over all life--the fish in the sea, the birds in the sky, and all the livestock, wild animals, and small animals.' So God created people in his own image; God patterned them after himself; male and female he created them" (Genesis 1:26-27, NLT).

* What does it mean that you were created "in the image" of God? What characteristics or traits are part of being created in the "image" of God?
    * How does knowing you were created in God's image affect you? Your self-worth? Your identity?

My Thoughts

* What makes you feel important? Successful? Worthwhile?
    * How can you make sure your identity comes from your Creator instead of what you create yourself (i.e. your career, your family, your reputation, your success, etc.)? What verses inspire you to praise God for how He's made you?
    * What can you do to glorify God in becoming the person He created you to be?
    * What areas of your life are you most tempted to be who you want to be?

My Part

Read Psalm 139, and write down all the things you discover about who you are and how God created you. Spend time thanking God for the intimate way He knows you and how it's His creation and knowledge of you that determines your worth and identity.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 130 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the