Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 26, 2017, 10:30:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
277551 Posts in 26420 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

on: Today at 09:16:54 AM 
Started by Soldier4Christ - Last post by Soldier4Christ
God's Boldness

“When the wicked, even mine enemies and my foes, came upon me to eat up my flesh, they stumbled and fell. Though an host should encamp against me, my heart shall not fear: though war should rise against me, in this will I be confident.” (Psalm 27:2-3)

The wicked were ready to “eat up” the flesh of David. Whatever may be in view as the setting of this psalm, it surely warns of a pending catastrophic event in David’s life. The use of this poignant phrase in the Old Testament often relates to physical destruction of a people at the hands of a military conqueror (Numbers 24:8; Psalm 53:1-5; Jeremiah 5:15-17).

In the New Testament, however, the emphasis seems to be on spiritual, mental, and character destruction (Galatians 5:15; 1 Corinthians 3:3; 2 Corinthians 12:20). The biblical message is consistent. No matter whether the Scriptures record an actual event or they use the examples of history to illustrate a spiritual truth, the results are the same. At the apparent peak of the enemy’s power, the enemies of God “stumbled and fell.”

All godly soldiers should be aware of their own insufficiency. As the conflict is building and the strength of the enemy becomes known, only a foolish braggart assumes that his own resources are enough to bring about victory—especially so when we face the great Adversary and “accuser of the brethren” (Revelation 12:10).

Observation that the host is surrounding and war is rising demands that the child of God not casually enter into Kingdom affairs in ignorance of the enemy or of his potential. Rather, David rests “in this [God’s strength] will I be confident.” The bold warrior is bold because he is focused. HMM III

Adapted from Treasures in the Psalms, Henry M. Morris III, 341-342.

on: September 25, 2017, 03:22:04 PM 
Started by nChrist - Last post by nChrist

Free Email Subscription

For Questions Or Comments:  berean@execpc.com

Pastor Stam's Recently Discovered Series - Part 2

Abraham and the Hebrew Nation

by Pastor Cornelius R. Stam

RECOGNIZE THE MYSTERY OR ALTER PROPHECY?

But why change any part of the Word of God to make it harmonize with another? It is all perfectly harmonious as it is. The key to the difficulty is to be found, not in the alteration of prophecy but in a recognition of the mystery revealed through Paul.

Galatians 3:16 is not an exegesis or an interpretation of the promises in Genesis at all, but a commentary on the Holy Spirit’s use of a word, and part of the revelation of the mystery.

Paul writes by revelation, pointing out that in speaking of Abraham’s descendants, God passed over all those words in which the singular and plural forms differ, and chose the word seed which, while singular in form, is used to denote many as well as one. 1 He did this because He knew that Abraham’s multiplied seed could never prove a blessing to the world except in Christ. Indeed, the spiritual bankruptcy of the multiplied seed is now being demonstrated while the blessing of the world is wrapped up in Christ. The world will be blessed through the multiplied seed of Abraham, to be sure, but it will be the regenerate seed of the future. Thus the world will be blessed through Israel when she finds her place in Christ. Meantime the blessing is vested in Christ alone and we are called the seed of Abraham only because we are in Christ, who is Abraham’s Seed. And we received this position, not by promise, but by grace. Thus the apostle says:

“But the Scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise, by faith of 2 Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe” (Gal. 3:22).

“That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ: that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith” (Gal. 3:14).

“And if ye be Christ’s, then are ye Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise” (Gal. 3:29).

But this is a revelation of the mystery, not of prophecy, nor does it for one moment invalidate the plain promises made to the Hebrew fathers.

When a promise, however gratuitous, is made, the promiser has at least one moral obligation toward the promisee: he, the promiser, does not intend to give, of the promise. If he knowingly misleads the promisee to expect something he, the promiser, does not intend to give, he commits an injustice. And thus it is with the promises in Genesis. Surely Abraham, Isaac and Jacob were given to understand that God would bless the world through their multiplied seed, 3 and if God did not intend to do this was He not misleading them? He used the word “seed” simply because He knew that all was bound up in one Seed—Christ; that the multiplied seed would some day become a blessing to the world through the single Seed.

That God intends to keep the original promise just as it stands is clear from many passages in both the Old Testament and the New. We quote a few of these, entreating the reader to examine them as prayerfully and carefully as the original promises in Genesis:

“But ye shall be named the Priests of the Lord: men shall call you the Ministers of our God: ye shall eat the riches of the Gentiles, and in their glory shall ye boast yourselves.

“And their seed shall be known among the Gentiles, and their offspring among the people: all that see them shall acknowledge them, that they are the seed which the Lord hath blessed” (Isa. 61:6,9).

“And it shall come to pass, that as ye were a curse among the heathen, O house of Judah, and house of Israel; so will I save you, and ye shall be a blessing: fear not, but let your hands be strong.

“In those days it shall come to pass, that ten men shall take hold out of all languages of the nations, even shall take hold of the skirt of him that is a Jew, saying, We will go with you: for we have heard that God is with you” (Zech. 8:13,23).

“And all nations shall call you blessed: for ye shall be a delightsome land, saith the Lord of hosts” (Mal. 3:12).

“And Jesus said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That ye which have followed me, in the regeneration when the Son of man shall sit in the throne of His glory, ye also shall sit upon twelve thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel” (Matt. 19:28.).

“For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in.

“And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob.

“For this is my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins.

“As touching the gospel, they are enemies for your sakes: but as touching the election, they are beloved for the fathers’ sakes” 4(Rom. 11:25-28.).

Notes:

1    In the original as well as in English.
2    Or, the fidelity of.
3    The following passages show how Israelites down through the centuries did understand it in this way: Gen. 32:12; 48:3,4,19; Ex. 32:13; 33:1; Deut. 1:8,11; 9:28; 11:9; 19:8; 27:3; II Chron. 20:7; Luke 1:72-74; Acts 3:25,26.
4    Note: Not “for the Father’s sake” but “for the fathers’ sakes,” i.e. the Hebrew fathers, Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.

on: September 25, 2017, 03:15:59 PM 

Free Email Subscription

Pastor Stam's Recently Discovered Series - Part 2

Abraham and the Hebrew Nation

(This is the second of a series of articles that first appeared in 1950 in Truth magazine, published by Milwaukee Bible Institute/Worldwide Grace Testimony, now the Grace Gospel Fellowship. These articles have never before appeared in the Searchlight.)

To get the clearest understanding of God’s purpose concerning Abraham and his seed, let us first imagine ourselves in the position of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob and read carefully and prayerfully some of the promises made to them.

THE PROMISES TO ABRAHAM, ISAAC AND JACOB

“And I will make of thee a great nation…and in thee shall all families of the earth be blessed” (Gen. 12:2,3).

“…Lift up now thine eyes, and look from the place where thou art northward, and southward, and eastward, and westward:

“For all the land which thou seest, to thee will I give it, and to thy seed for ever.

“And I will make thy seed as the dust of the earth: so that if a man can number the dust of the earth, then shall thy seed also be numbered” (Gen. 13:14-16).

“…Look now toward heaven, and tell the stars, if thou be able to number them: and he said unto him, so shall thy seed be” (Gen. 15:5).

“And I will give unto thee, and to thy seed after thee, the land wherein thou art a stranger, all the land of Canaan, for an everlasting possession; and I will be their God” (Gen. 17:8.).

“…In blessing I will bless thee, and in multiplying I will multiply thy seed as the stars of heaven, and as the sand which is upon the sea shore; and thy seed shall possess the gate of his enemies.

“And in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed…” (Gen. 22:17,18.).

“And I will make thy seed to multiply as the stars of heaven, and will give unto thy seed all these countries; and in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed” (Gen. 26:4).

“And thy seed shall be as the dust of the earth, and thou shalt spread abroad to the west, and to the east, and to the north, and to the south: and in thy seed shall all the families of the earth be blessed” (Gen. 28:14).

A PERPLEXING PROBLEM

A simple reading of the above passages must convince the unbiased reader that the Hebrew fathers to whom these promises were originally made could understand them in no other way than that God was to bless and multiply their offspring, give both them and their offspring the land of Canaan and make them a blessing to all the world.

But approximately two millenniums later Paul, by the Spirit, wrote concerning these promises:

“Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ” (Gal. 3:16).

This statement from the pen of Paul has caused theologians no end of trouble. Elmer Barnes says of it:

“Now no one ever probably read this passage without feeling a difficulty, and without asking himself whether this argument is sound, and is worthy of a man of candour, and especially of an inspired man. Some of the difficulties in the passage are these. (1). The promise referred to the posterity of Abraham at large, without any particular reference to an individual. It is to his seed; his descendants; to all his seed or posterity. Such would be the fair and natural interpretation should it be read by hundreds or thousands of persons who had never heard of the interpretation here put upon it by Paul. (2). The argument of the apostle seems to proceed on the supposition that the word “seed” i.e. posterity, here cannot refer to more than one person. If it had, says he, it would have been in the plural number. But the fact is, that the word is often used to denote posterity at large; to refer to descendants without limitation, just as the word posterity is with us; and it is a fact, moreover, that the word is not used in the plural at all to denote a posterity, the singular form being constantly employed for that purpose….Indeed the plural form of the word is never used except in this place in Galatians. The difficulty, therefore, is that the remark here of Paul appears to be a trick argument, or a quibble more worthy of a trifling Jewish Rabbi, than a grave reasoner or an inspired man. I have stated this difficulty freely just as I suppose it has struck hundreds of minds, because I do not wish to shrink from the difficulty in examining the Bible, but to see whether it can be fairly met.”

This difficulty, stated so candidly by Barnes, has induced many to adopt a system of interpretation which is called the “spiritualization” of the Scriptures. Under this system, for example, the promises to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob are reconciled with Galatians 3:16 by giving the former a “spiritual” interpretation, thus changing their obvious meaning altogether. By Abraham’s seed the Church, the Body of Christ, was meant; Canaan refers to heaven, etc.

One outstanding Bible teacher who partially adopts this system boldly states that Galatians 3:16 is “a very simple and direct exegesis of the text in Genesis” and contends that the promises in Genesis predicted the coming of Christ, Abraham’s single Seed! Still, wavering a little, he also says: “In regard to the prophecies of Abraham’s seed, it does seem to me that the Old Testament leaves plenty of room for Paul’s interpretation!”

But one thing should be clearly understood: that if Paul’s words in Galatians 3:16 are an exegesis or interpretation of the text in Genesis then Genesis does not teach the blessing of the world through the nation Israel.

on: September 25, 2017, 03:12:51 PM 

Free Email Subscription

Why God Waits

St. Peter was not wrong when he declared at Pentecost that the last days had begun (Acts 2:16,17). They had indeed begun, but God had a secret plan to give the world a period of grace before putting down its rebellion and sending Christ to reign.

This secret purpose concerning “the dispensation of the grace of God” is the subject of Paul’s epistles. However, it is interesting to see how Peter’s last message explains the reason for this interruption in God’s prophesied program and the delay in Christ’s return to reign. First, he says in II Peter 3:8:

“But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years years as one day.”

Mark well, this is not our feeble explanation now as to the delay in Christ’s return. This statement was made at the beginning of this time of waiting, at the dawn of the age of grace. But let us go on with Peter’s declaration:

“The Lord is not slack concerning His promise… but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance” (Ver. 9).

So the delay in Christ’s return to judge and reign should not be counted “slackness” or laxness, but longsuffering. Thus the Apostle goes on to say:

“And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation…”

Where did Peter get this information? How did he know about “the dispensation of the grace of God”? Verse 15 explains:

“Even as our beloved brother Paul also, according to the wisdom given unto him, hath written unto you.”

To Paul particularly was committed “the gospel of the grace of God” which we proclaim today (Acts 20:24). Peter recognized this (Gal. 2:2,7,9), and closed his second epistle with the exhortation:

“But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ” (II Pet. 3:18.).

on: September 25, 2017, 03:11:20 PM 
http://www.gracegems.org/19/literature.htm

Five Short Rules for Christians

(Brownlow North, 1810-1875)

1. Never neglect daily private prayer; and when you pray, remember that God is present, and that He hears your prayers.

2. Never neglect daily private Bible reading; and when you read, remember that God is speaking to you, and that you are to believe and act upon all that He says.

3. Never let a day pass without trying to do something for Jesus. Every day reflect on what Jesus has done for you--and then ask yourself, "What am I doing for Him?"

4. If you are in doubt as to a thing being right or wrong--then go to your room and kneel down and ask God's blessing on it. If you cannot do this, then it is wrong.

5. Never take your standard of Christianity from other Christians--or argue that because such and such people do so and so--therefore, you may. You are to ask yourself, "How would Jesus act in my place?"--and strive to follow Him alone.

on: September 25, 2017, 03:09:09 PM 

Top Headlines9

Donald Trump rescinds White House invitation to Stephen Curry, NBA’s Warriors (USA Today10)

NASCAR draws line on protesting during national anthem (The Washington Times11)

DHS tells 21 states they were Russia hacking targets before 2016 election (The Hill12)

Experts say medical care next big cyber threat (The Washington Free Beacon13)

Anthony Weiner sentenced to 21 months in federal prison (The Washington Post14)

North Korea says rockets to U.S. “inevitable” after Trump dubs Kim “rocket man” (Reuters15)

Free Speech Week at Berkeley is canceled (The New York Times16)

Comey’s speech at Howard University interrupted by student protesters (CNS News17)

Germany’s election — Merkel stumbles (but still wins) (National Review18.)

Nashville church shooting: Masked man kills woman, injures seven in Antioch before usher with a gun stops him (The Tennessean19)

Policy: Government scorekeepers are wrong. Corporate tax reform would mostly help workers, not the rich. (The Daily Signal20)

Policy: The “retirement savings gap” is really a government funding gap (Investor’s Business Daily21)

For more, visit Patriot Headline Report22.

MORE ANALYSIS FROM THE PATRIOT POST

Left Politicizes Entertainment, Americans Tune Out23 — Whether it’s the Emmys, summer movies or sports, we’re getting pretty tired of the Left’s war on culture.
    News Flash: Biological Sex Is Fixed24 — A Leftmedia social justice warrior frets that “gender stereotypes” are harmful for boys and girls.
    California vs. Texas: Poverty Edition25 — Smaller government that focuses on individual freedom is a better recipe than welfare for fighting poverty.

BEST OF RIGHT OPINION

Tony Perkins: Frictional Characters Threaten GOP Repeal26
    Burt Prelutsky: Enemies, Foreign & Domestic27
    Bill Mundhausen: Bridenstine to Lead NASA? Why Not?28

For more, visit Right Opinion29.

OPINION IN BRIEF

Burt Prelutsky: “When we think about the nation’s domestic enemies, we shouldn’t limit ourselves to the likes of George Soros, Chuck Schumer, Nancy Pelosi, Al Franken, Maxine Waters and Hillary Clinton. We should never overlook Barack Obama, who went from being the worst president in U.S. history to being the worst ex-president, wresting both titles away from Jimmy Carter. Talk about records you never dream will ever be broken. In case it escaped your attention, as it apparently has the attention of the mass media, Obama has created a gang of 30,000 traitors under the banner of Organizing for Action, and staffed it with many of the deplorables who did so much to make the eight years of his administration such an unmitigated disaster, including his very own Rasputin, Valerie Jarrett. The mission statement of the group is the usual litany of left-wing lunacy, including gun control (confiscation), socialized medicine, federally funded abortions on demand, climate change legislation and immigration reform (open borders). … As [Thomas] Sowell writes: ‘If Barack Obama did not do enough to destroy this country in the eight years he was in office, it appears his future plans are to destroy the very foundation on which this country has operated for the past 241 years.’”

SHORT CUTS

The Gipper: “The challenge of statesmanship is to have the vision to dream of a better, safer world and the courage, persistence, and patience to turn that dream into reality.”

Braying Jackass: “We welcome the world’s tired and poor and huddled masses to our shores. … We are going to continue to have the Statue of Liberty be our symbol, not that damned wall!” —Chuck Schumer

Braying Jenny: “Kim Jung’s [sic] letter to @realDonaldTrump is a little bit more sane than @realDonaldTrump. Maybe we trade?” —Chelsea Handler

Non Compos Mentis: “Hurricane Irma knocked out the power while residents of the Florida town of Titusville sought shelter inside Apollo Elementary School. But there remained a source of electricity in Classroom 408, thanks to an economic stimulus program set in motion by President Barack Obama in his first days in office. … [Trump voters] did not likely offer thanks to Obama for the $787 billion American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, which funded such public projects as the $10 million UCF Florida Solar Energy Center program to create SunSmart E-Shelters in 115 schools.” —The Daily Beast’s Michael Daly

Village Idiots: “The Electoral College Is a National Security Threat.” —Matthew Olsen and Benjamin Haas in Politico

Demo-gogues: “[John] McCain, he’s staring death in the face right now, so he’s probably going to make good choices and he’s not going to bend to political pressure [by voting for ObamaCare repeal].” —Rep. Matt Cartwright

Conformity: “It doesn’t matter whether they’re black, or white, Latino, Asian-American or Native American. When you see something that’s not right, not fair, not just, you have an obligation to do something, to say something. … I believe in the philosophy and the discipline of nonviolence, but sometimes I feel like taking a bullwhip and just saying to people, ‘You get your butt up. You go out there and do what you must do.’” —Rep. John Lewis

And last… “Many folks cool w/ NFL players disrespecting the American flag after years of saying Tebow’s personal beliefs have no place on the field.” —Twitter satirist @hale_razor

Semper Vigilans Fortis Paratus et Fidelis
Managing Editor Nate Jackson

Join us in daily prayer for our Patriots in uniform — Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, Marines and Coast Guardsmen — standing in harm’s way in defense of Liberty, and for their families.

on: September 25, 2017, 03:08:05 PM 

The Patriot Post® · Mid-Day Digest

Sep. 25, 2017 · https://patriotpost.us/digests/51479

IN TODAY’S EDITION

Trump gives voice to millions of Americans fed up with politicized sports.
    John McCain is standing in the way of his own promises on ObamaCare.
    Daily Features: Top Headlines, Cartoons, Columnists and Short Cuts.

THE FOUNDATION

“Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism.” —George Washington (1796)

FEATURED ANALYSIS
The NFL’s Worst Fumble Yet1

President Donald Trump tapped into the sentiment of the vast majority of Americans over the weekend, and the Leftmedia hate him for it. “Trump turns sports into a political battleground,” headlined The Washington Post, as if athletes, coaches, owners and commentators hadn’t already politicized sports. What Trump did do was give voice from the most powerful bully pulpit in the land to what many Americans already think: Athletes who make millions of dollars each year to entertain us on the field should not spit in the face of our great nation by disrespecting the national anthem before games. Take the activism off the field.

“Wouldn’t you love to see one of these NFL owners, when somebody disrespects our flag, to say, ‘Get that son of a b—h off the field right now. Out! He’s fired. He’s fired!' ” Trump said Friday. “You know, some owner is going to do that. He’s going to say, 'That guy that disrespects our flag, he’s fired.’ And that owner, they don’t know it [but] they’ll be the most popular person in this country.” Trump made other similar comments throughout the weekend.

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell responded with a complete lack of self-awareness: “Divisive comments like these demonstrate an unfortunate lack of respect for the NFL, our great game and all of our players, and a failure to understand the overwhelming force for good our clubs and players represent in our communities.” It is the NFL that is allowing divisiveness and “an unfortunate lack of respect” for our country to be showcased every Sunday.

“Roger Goodell of NFL just put out a statement trying to justify the total disrespect certain players show to our country,” Trump responded on Twitter. “Tell them to stand!”

The reaction in the NFL was predictable. Many more players joined the anthem protests, taking knees and locking arms. Even a couple of owners joined in. One instance that stood out was the Pittsburgh Steelers, who didn’t take the field at all until after the national anthem — except for Steelers offensive tackle and former Army Ranger Alejandro Villanueva. “This We’ll Defend” is the U.S. Army motto, and he upheld it with honor. For his part, coach Mike Tomlin was critical … of Villanueva. “I was looking for 100 percent participation. We were gonna be respectful of our football team,” he complained of Villanueva standing alone. Tomlin hoped to avoid controversy by skipping the anthem entirely, he claimed, but we’ll bet his Rust Belt fan base sees it differently. The same goes for the Tennessee Titans and Seattle Seahawks, who skipped the “Star-Spangled Banner.”

Worse, the Baltimore Ravens and Jacksonville Jaguars took their protest to London, where they disrespected our nation and flag on foreign soil. Yet they stood for the UK’s anthem, “God Save the Queen.” God save the one who can’t see why that’s outrageous.

Of course, it all started last year when Colin Kaepernick2, who was abandoned by his black parents, then adopted and raised by a loving white couple, complained, “I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color.” Leftists made Kaepernick a hero for his, er, stand, and then a martyr when no team would pick up the struggling quarterback and his following media circus.

Two weeks ago, ahead of the 9/11 attack observance3, former Cleveland Browns Hall of Fame running back Jim Brown criticized the Browns team and Kaepernick4 for disrespecting our country: “I’m going to give you the real deal. I’m an American. I don’t desecrate my flag and my national anthem. I’m not gonna do anything against the flag and the national anthem. … This is my country, and I’ll work out the problems, but I’ll do it in an intelligent manner.”

That is the “real deal,” and the Browns got off their knees, but apparently there are still a lot of petulant overpaid adolescent athletes who think NFL fans are buying their fake celebrity indignation.

As The Wall Street Journal put it5, “Americans don’t begrudge athletes their free-speech rights — see the popularity of Charles Barkley — but disrespecting the national anthem puts partisanship above a symbol of nationhood that thousands have died for. Players who chose to kneel shouldn’t be surprised that fans around the country booed them on Sunday.” Millions more aren’t booing — they’re just tuning out6.

And while the media blame this all on Trump, all he did was represent Americans fed up with the Left’s political garbage.

McCain, the RINO in Chief7

While Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) fancies himself as a “maverick,” the moniker of “RINO in chief” is more fitting. This reality has become all the more obvious this year as Republicans repeatedly failed in their attempts to repeal ObamaCare, with McCain proving to be one of the biggest road blocks. The GOP’s latest and perhaps last attempt at repealing Barack Obama’s disastrous law was handed a potentially lethal blow on Friday when McCain stated that he would not vote in favor of the Graham-Cassidy overhaul8.

Over the weekend McCain further explained his reasoning: “As I have repeatedly stressed, health care reform legislation ought to be the product of regular order in the Senate. Committees of jurisdiction should mark up legislation with input from all committee members, and send their bill to the floor for debate and amendment. That is the only way we might achieve bipartisan consensus on lasting reform, without which a policy that affects one-fifth of our economy and every single American family will be subject to reversal with every change of administration and congressional majority.” In other words, McCain is against this law because it fails to gain bipartisan support.

Maybe McCain forgot that the “Affordable” Care Act itself does not meet his legislative standards, as it was passed strictly along party lines in the dead of night. Alas, no, he didn’t forget. McCain further opined, “We should not be content to pass health care legislation on a party-line basis, as Democrats did when they rammed ObamaCare through Congress in 2009.” Or maybe he believes that legislative standard should only be applied to Republican bills.

Unfortunately, it seems evident that McCain (and a few other Republicans) has no desire to get rid of ObamaCare. So he’s playing the procedural purist card in defense of his unwillingness to keep his promise to repeal ObamaCare. He’s choosing to take a knee, proudly trumpeting his own independence rather than standing by his promises and with his team.

While the vast majority of Republicans have consistently worked and voted to end the egregious governmental power grab of ObamaCare, it’s the few donkeys dressed up in elephant costumes who have derailed the agenda and sullied the brand.

on: September 25, 2017, 09:27:46 AM 
God's Rescue

“The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?” (Psalm 27:1)

These are familiar terms within the Psalms, often glossed over because of their frequent use. Light is often associated with truth throughout the Psalms (Psalm 18:28; 36:9; 43:3). But it also indicates the provision of clarity (Psalm 37:6; 38:10; 112:4) and understanding (Psalm 119:105; 119:130), and even favor with God (Psalm 4:6; 44:3; 89:15; 90:8).

This psalm is a song of joy about God’s marvelous deliverance and may very well demand the broadest application possible. The Lord does provide truth for me as I search His Word—and sometimes that truth just pops into my head and heart when I most need it. He surely grants clarity and understanding to me. That is the primary ministry of the Holy Spirit on my behalf (John 16:13-15). And who can ignore the favor we receive in our salvation (Ephesians 2:8)?

The “rescue” of the Psalms is often set in terms of a military rescue, but it is also applicable to the eternal rescue from sin that is the ultimate focus of the Word. God is said to be the horn of our salvation (Psalm 18:2), a shield (Psalm 18:35), the rock (Psalm 89:26), our strength (Psalm 140:7), as well as my joy (Psalm 51:12) and my truth (Psalm 69:13). These descriptions draw a picture of protection, as does the phrase “strength of my life” in our text. It is consistently used in the Psalms of a rock or fortress that provides safety from enemy attack. All of these settings emphasize the often sudden and unexpected rescue of God’s people from sure defeat at the hands of an enemy. HMM III

Adapted from Treasures in the Psalms, Henry M. Morris III, 341-342.

on: September 24, 2017, 08:43:58 AM 
Singing Garments of Life

“The pastures are clothed with flocks; the valleys also are covered over with corn; they shout for joy, they also sing.” (Psalm 65:13)

This is the concluding verse of the beautiful 65th Psalm, climaxing a remarkable series of testimonies about God’s providential care of His creation. In this final figure, the lands are pictured as clothed in beautiful, living garments—garments that shout and sing in joyful praise to their Maker.

The figure would be better appreciated in biblical times or in certain lands (e.g., New Zealand) today where flocks of sheep are so abundant that they literally seem to cover the pasture lands in wool. The flocks first provide a metaphorical garment for the pastures, then literal clothing for men and women. Similarly, the fertile valleys are everywhere arrayed in golden grain, which later provides food for both the animals and human beings.

And “the sounds of the earth are like music,” as the song so eloquently expresses it. For those with ears to hear and eyes to see, praise is everywhere being offered up to our great Creator and faithful Sustainer by the very creation itself.

Jesus also spoke of the beautiful garments of creation: “And why take ye thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin: And yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to day is, and to morrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith?” (Matthew 6:28-30).

The verse following our text, therefore, appropriately exhorts, “Make a joyful noise unto God, all ye lands . . . All the earth shall worship thee” (Psalm 66:1, 4). HMM

on: September 24, 2017, 08:20:55 AM 

Free Email Subscription

Light For The Soul

A Christian believer talking to an atheistic evolutionist one time, took his watch out of his pocket, noted the time and put it back in again, saying to his friend: “This is a wonderful watch; never misses a second. I never have to do anything to it, yet it keeps perfect time.”

“What make is it?” asked the evolutionist. “Oh, no make,” was the reply. “Well who manufactured it?” “Oh, no one. It just put itself together somehow.”

“Nonsense!” said the atheist. “A watch can’t just come into existence. Somebody had to manufacture it.”

“That’s true,” replied the Christian, “yet you expect me to believe that this vast universe with its billions of planets and stars, all revolving in perfect order, just came about by itself; that it has no Designer, no Creator, and no one to keep it running. Isn’t that nonsense!”

According to the Bible God holds the pagan world responsible for its idolatry and declares: “They are without excuse” (Rom. 1:20) because all that the heathen witness about God every day calls for their worship and praise and thanksgiving (Rom. 1:20,21). But they have not had this attitude. They have denied and rejected God and, as St. Paul says, they “became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened” (Ver. 21). It was thus that pagan idolatry, the worship of the creation, rather than the Creator (Ver. 25) had its beginning.

All this is very much like what we read in Ephesians 4:17,18 where God exhorts His people not to live like “the Gentiles,” in “the vanity [shallowness] of their mind, having the understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God through the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart.”

Not very complimentary, is it? But it does reflect the condition of the human heart without God and apart from faith in Christ our Savior. It explains why the world, with all its increased technical knowledge is worse off than ever.

How wonderful to know that “God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness,” can give light and joy and blessing to the simplest soul who places his faith in Christ, who died for our sins! (See II Cor. 4:3-6; Acts 16:31; I Cor. 15:3,4).

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2016 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the