Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 06:22:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286822 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Welcome
| |-+  About You! (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Hello, I am new here
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 42 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hello, I am new here  (Read 179861 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: August 01, 2007, 07:14:35 PM »

Hello Islandboy,

I've only been to Florida twice, and I think it's a beautiful state. My son lives near West Palm Beach, and we had a wonderful trip there a little over a year ago. It would be difficult to run out of pretty places to see, things to do, and places to eat. My wife and I mainly just wanted to do some sight-seeing, so it wasn't hard at all to make us happy. We really only spent money on one day at Epcot, but we would have had a great time with or without Epcot. It was really a beautiful part of the state. Our visit before was just traveling through and spending one day in the Northern part of Florida. Northern Florida isn't nearly as pretty as Southern Florida. At least that was our opinion in comparing the two. My wife and I enjoy looking at older houses with various kinds of architecture, so our son took us to many older neighborhoods to see some beautiful old homes. We also enjoy just watching and listening to the ocean, and there were many gorgeous places within short driving distance. We definitely want to go back some day.

islandboy
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 02, 2007, 02:47:15 PM »

I agree that South Florida seems to be more floral. Of course the farther south you come the warmer it is and that allows for the growth of more tropical plants. As in the farther north you go the cooler the weather is, in the winter time, allowing for frost to kill plants or fruit on the trees. There are many older smaller attractions that cost less money to visit, but are very interesting in terms of gardens and museum factors. One such place the Historic Bok Sanctuary in Lake Wales. It has beautiful gardens and a bell tower, and carillon concerts and is considered to be a National Historical  Landmark. This is another place on my list of must sees.

Be not weary in your serving; Do your best for those in need; Kindness will be rewarded by the Lord who prompts the deed.
Debp
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 02, 2007, 07:56:58 PM »

Two of my cousins live in Ft. Walton Beach....one of them just bought a home and has bears in his yard!  My cousin gets a kick out of them, but his wife has to blow a loud horn when she goes to work to scare them off.

...walk worthy of the calling with which you were called, with all lowliness and gentleness, with longsuffering, bearing with one another in love, endeavoring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. Eph. 4:1-3
islandboy
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 07, 2007, 05:37:46 PM »

I received this in an e-mail and thought I would share it with y'all.

My parents told me about Mr. Common Sense early in my life and told me I would do well to call on him when making decisions. It seems he was always around in my early years but less and less as time passed by until today I read his obituary. Please join me in a moment of silence in remembrance.
For Common Sense had severed us all so well for so many generations.

Obituary Common Sense
Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who has been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape.
He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as knowing when to come in out of the rain, why the early bird gets the worm, life isn't always fair, and maybe it was my fault.
Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you earn) and reliable parenting strategies (adults, not children are in charge).
His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place. Reports of a six-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition.
Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job they themselves failed to do in disciplining their unruly children.
Common Sense lost the will to live as the Ten Commandments became contraband; churches became businesses; and criminals received better treatment than their victims. Common Sense took a beating when you couldn't defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar can sue you for assault.
Common Sense finally gave up the will to live, after a woman failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.
Common Sense was preceded in death by his parents, Truth and Trust; his wife, Discretion; his daughter, Responsibility; and his son, Reason.
He is survived by three stepbrothers; I Know my Rights, Someone Else is to Blame, and I'm a Victim.
Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone.
If you still remember him pass this on. If not, join the majority and do nothing.
Author  Unknown

Be not weary in your serving; Do your best for those in need; Kindness will be rewarded by the Lord who prompts the deed.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 07, 2007, 05:54:05 PM »

Author  Unknown

Perhaps it was Common Sense.

Wink Grin

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
islandboy
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 07, 2007, 06:15:39 PM »

Your right I should have signed it,  by Mr. Common Sense.
 Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 08, 2007, 12:40:35 AM »

Thanks Islandboy,

I got a kick out of that and saved it for my wife. She's a teacher, and I suspect that she will have fun with it tomorrow. I think that she used to know Common Sense.   Cheesy

Debp
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 08, 2007, 02:29:06 AM »

I received this in an e-mail and thought I would share it with y'all.

My parents told me about Mr. Common Sense early in my life and told me I would do well to call on him when making decisions. It seems he was always around in my early years but less and less as time passed by until today I read his obituary. Please join me in a moment of silence in remembrance.
For Common Sense had severed us all so well for so many generations.

Obituary Common Sense
Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who has been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape.
He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as knowing when to come in out of the rain, why the early bird gets the worm, life isn't always fair, and maybe it was my fault.
Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you earn) and reliable parenting strategies (adults, not children are in charge).
His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place. Reports of a six-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition.
Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job they themselves failed to do in disciplining their unruly children.
Common Sense lost the will to live as the Ten Commandments became contraband; churches became businesses; and criminals received better treatment than their victims. Common Sense took a beating when you couldn't defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar can sue you for assault.
Common Sense finally gave up the will to live, after a woman failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.
Common Sense was preceded in death by his parents, Truth and Trust; his wife, Discretion; his daughter, Responsibility; and his son, Reason.
He is survived by three stepbrothers; I Know my Rights, Someone Else is to Blame, and I'm a Victim.
Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone.
If you still remember him pass this on. If not, join the majority and do nothing.
Author  Unknown

That's very good Islandboy....and sad but so true.

After eating nearly all of my salad, I once found a cockroach on the bottom of my salad at a "family restaurant" (a big chain)....I like extra dressing and he was dead in the "pool" of Italian dressing!!  You mean I could have sued them and became a millionaire about 10 years ago?!  Oh, they did give me a free piece of pie....but I still had to pay for my meal!!

...walk worthy of the calling with which you were called, with all lowliness and gentleness, with longsuffering, bearing with one another in love, endeavoring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. Eph. 4:1-3
islandboy
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 08, 2007, 09:57:22 PM »

Debp,
Just reading about your experience made me think how gross. You should have gotten a free meal out of it. I'm surprised you still had an appetite. I have found what appeared to be parts of a mouse in a can of store-brand gravy one time, it totally grossed me out. But I just threw it away. Gosh, both of us could have been millionaires.

Debp
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 09, 2007, 07:52:35 PM »

Debp,
Just reading about your experience made me think how gross. You should have gotten a free meal out of it. I'm surprised you still had an appetite. I have found what appeared to be parts of a mouse in a can of store-brand gravy one time, it totally grossed me out. But I just threw it away. Gosh, both of us could have been millionaires.

Oh, parts of a mouse!  Yuck!  Yeah, I guess we could have been living on Easy Street by now with my roach and your mouse!  Cheesy

islandboy
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 10, 2007, 10:14:22 AM »

Debp,So much for easy street. But I would drather keep my conscience and common sense.  Cheesy Cheesy
A few posts back I told you about the Ghost Orchid. Well, as you know most orchids bloom at certain times of the year and then stop for a while before blooming again. This wild rare orchid has out done her self as she bloomed for all the cameras and then stopped, and the Park officials said the show was over. Well last week to everyone surprise the orchid has put out new buds and may be in bloom as I write. Thought you might find this interesting.    Shocked Shocked Shocked

Debp
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 10, 2007, 06:40:02 PM »

Debp,So much for easy street. But I would drather keep my conscience and common sense.  Cheesy Cheesy
A few posts back I told you about the Ghost Orchid. Well, as you know most orchids bloom at certain times of the year and then stop for a while before blooming again. This wild rare orchid has out done her self as she bloomed for all the cameras and then stopped, and the Park officials said the show was over. Well last week to everyone surprise the orchid has put out new buds and may be in bloom as I write. Thought you might find this interesting.    Shocked Shocked Shocked

Yes, I know what you mean about keeping our consciences right before the Lord God.  And definitely, common sense is needed, especially in this world today!  Smiley

Interesting about the orchid.  You know, bloom times seem to be off this year.....the Poinsettia in front of our building never bloomed at Christmas but was blooming in June and July!!  The Crape Myrtle Trees didn't bloom in the Spring as usual but are blooming now.

Have you ever heard of the Corpse Flower?  We have one at our arboretum.....it blooms a gigantic (tall as a woman) bloom every so many years (forgot how many  Smiley )  I've never seen it but people line up to see it in bloom.  They call it the Corpse Flower because it's "fragrance" smells like rotten garbage!!  Shocked  People in that neighborhood can even smell it!!

islandboy
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 10, 2007, 09:16:08 PM »

No I never heard of that one,  but I do have a plant called "Star Flower", it's flower is a huge star shaped blossom that attracts flies and smells like something dead. The flower is beautiful in color and shape, but don't ever try to press it dry in a book or your whole house will smell. A friend of mine found out the hard way. Ugh!!    Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Cheesy

Debp
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 11, 2007, 01:02:56 AM »

No I never heard of that one,  but I do have a plant called "Star Flower", it's flower is a huge star shaped blossom that attracts flies and smells like something dead. The flower is beautiful in color and shape, but don't ever try to press it dry in a book or your whole house will smell. A friend of mine found out the hard way. Ugh!!    Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Cheesy

Do you have Plumeria trees in FL?  I saw them in Hawaii and they smell so beautiful!!  They come in white and also pink, and the Hawaiians make leis with them.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 11, 2007, 09:59:28 AM »

There is a woodland wildflower here in Illinois that is called a star flower. It's leaves form a five point star and the flower forms an eight point star. It is used for dry flower arrangements occasionaly but it needs to be dried outdoors as it oozes a sticky smelly substance as it is drying.

The Plumeria is a beautiful tree. I had a cutting from one given to me when I left Hawaii. It grew quite well in southern Calif. It got so big I had to leave it there when I left.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 42 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the