Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:35:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286807 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Welcome
| |-+  About You! (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Hello, I am new here
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 42 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hello, I am new here  (Read 179760 times)
Debp
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 15, 2007, 04:21:56 PM »

Straight from the Fort Myers News Press, A rare orchid was discovered at Corkscew Swamp Sanctuary in Collier County. First of type found in 12 years.
With graceful petals drooping like a Mark Twain mustache, the pale, spectral flowers haunted the trunk of an ancient bald cypress. The 400 to 500 year old tree to which the orchid is attached is 150 feet from the boardwalk, and the orchid, bearing nine flowers ( most ghost orchids have two or three flowers), is 45 feet above the ground, making the line of sight from the boardwalk 150 feet. In order to see this rare ghost orchid you need the help of a high-powered spotting scope. Ghost orchids are endangered and on the states list of imperiled species, as it's two main threats are habitat loss and poaching. Collecting wild orchids is illegal. The rare orchid was discovered by two visitors looking for owls and they just happened to look in the right spot.

That is very wonderful and interesting news!  I used to attend an orchid show in Little Tokyo (until it was discontinued the past year).  There are so many different types of orchids.....and such beautiful colors and forms.  I now have two Phaleonapsis orchids as I hear they are the easiest to re-bloom.  (Hope so.)  I do keep water around them for a bit of humidity.

In earlier years I tried Cattleyas and a Dendrobium orchid but didn't have any success with them.  Even the night time temps (have to be cool enough) effect their re-blooming....and I had them inside.

There used to be an elderly lady across the street who "just threw water" on a couple of "orphan" orchids in the back of her apartment building....and they would get the most gorgeous blooms!

...walk worthy of the calling with which you were called, with all lowliness and gentleness, with longsuffering, bearing with one another in love, endeavoring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. Eph. 4:1-3
islandboy
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 16, 2007, 12:00:40 PM »

I am not to knowledgeable about orchids, but I have seen many beautiful ones at various nurseries and flower shops. The wild orchids are quite numerous in Florida, being to there are many different types and areas in which they grow. Most cling to sides of trees, some grow in and around swampy areas and some grow from dryer soil. There are two types that grow in woodland areas near my home that produce smaller flowers, than the tree clinging varieties. I am trying to find out what they are so I can tell you more about them.

Another article in the News Press, was about the increasing numbers of Monitor Lizards, being found in Cape Coral, Fl. There arrival was first noted in 1990, believed to be pets that their owners set free. So far this year the city has trapped 46-47 lizards, that number being ahead of the typical pace, as the city normally traps 60 a year. Monitor lizards, are originally from southeast Asia. They actively hunt for food from April to late November and lay low when the weather cools off. Their prey has largely been burrowing owls, but small pets are in danger as well. These lizards can grow quite large, in some cases up to 7 feet long.

Be not weary in your serving; Do your best for those in need; Kindness will be rewarded by the Lord who prompts the deed.
Debp
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 17, 2007, 02:00:34 AM »

I am not to knowledgeable about orchids, but I have seen many beautiful ones at various nurseries and flower shops. The wild orchids are quite numerous in Florida, being to there are many different types and areas in which they grow. Most cling to sides of trees, some grow in and around swampy areas and some grow from dryer soil. There are two types that grow in woodland areas near my home that produce smaller flowers, than the tree clinging varieties. I am trying to find out what they are so I can tell you more about them.

Another article in the News Press, was about the increasing numbers of Monitor Lizards, being found in Cape Coral, Fl. There arrival was first noted in 1990, believed to be pets that their owners set free. So far this year the city has trapped 46-47 lizards, that number being ahead of the typical pace, as the city normally traps 60 a year. Monitor lizards, are originally from southeast Asia. They actively hunt for food from April to late November and lay low when the weather cools off. Their prey has largely been burrowing owls, but small pets are in danger as well. These lizards can grow quite large, in some cases up to 7 feet long.
Maybe you can post a photo of the orchids near you?

As you probably know, orchids are air breathing plants.....so you can grow them in bark (don't overwater, but they love humidity).  You can also wrap their roots around some sphagmum moss on a piece of wood or slate and attach it to a tree.  With your climate in FL, they would probably do great with just the normal rain.

I wonder if those monitor lizards are relatives to the Komodo Dragons in Indonesia.  (I think they are.)  They can be quite dangerous at the bigger sizes so no wonder your state is trapping them!

Some years ago I remember reading an article in a travel agent magazine.  When visiting Komodo Island to see the Komodo Dragons, you are supposed to stand behind these cement barricades.  Apparently, one senior citizen tourist wanted a closer photo.....when he didn't show up, they went looking for him and all they found of him was his hat and camera!

Also, several years ago, an actress (was it Sharon Stone?) gave her husband this birthday gift.  She arranged for the Los Angeles Zoo to allow her husband into the new Komodo Dragon exhibit.  Well, one of the Komodo Dragons bit his foot!!!  What a birthday present?!  Roll Eyes

...walk worthy of the calling with which you were called, with all lowliness and gentleness, with longsuffering, bearing with one another in love, endeavoring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. Eph. 4:1-3
islandboy
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 18, 2007, 10:03:56 PM »

As you said orchids need lots of humidity to grow well. When my bloom again I will take pictures and put them on my website, in a spot they will be easy to find so you can see them. The wild ones that grow in the soil should be starting to come up now that the rainy season has started. I'll watch for them as well.
As far as the Lizards go yes the larger they are the more dangerous they become. Both children and adults can receive severe bites from them. People say they devour pets completely bones and all. Not something great to be running loose in a city.

Be not weary in your serving; Do your best for those in need; Kindness will be rewarded by the Lord who prompts the deed.
Debp
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 19, 2007, 07:16:42 PM »

When my bloom again I will take pictures and put them on my website, in a spot they will be easy to find so you can see them.

Do you grow them in pots or on slabs on trees?  How many do you have?  What colors?

islandboy
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 19, 2007, 09:08:37 PM »

My orchids are growing on the trunks of oak tress. When I received them from a friend, in big bunches, I broke them apart carefully and nailed each ball of roots to the side of my oak trees. they have been growing there for 5 years now. In cold weather I water them down really good so they will not freeze or I cover them with cloth to protect them. I need to get a book on orchids as the true names escape me now. I have yellow ones with bits of burgany on petals. I have one that is a very pale lavender. And I have some called ground orchids that get pink flowers on them. The wild ones that grow up from the soil get white flowers on them.

Debp
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 20, 2007, 08:02:39 PM »

My orchids are growing on the trunks of oak tress. When I received them from a friend, in big bunches, I broke them apart carefully and nailed each ball of roots to the side of my oak trees. they have been growing there for 5 years now. In cold weather I water them down really good so they will not freeze or I cover them with cloth to protect them. I need to get a book on orchids as the true names escape me now. I have yellow ones with bits of burgany on petals. I have one that is a very pale lavender. And I have some called ground orchids that get pink flowers on them. The wild ones that grow up from the soil get white flowers on them.

Your yard must be beautiful.  Do you have other flowers, too?  I have Batchelor Buttons on the patio, Bouganvillea (red, gold, pink.....only the red is growing really good), a Hibiscus (no blooms yet this year) and a rose bush.  I just planted some Four O'Clock seeds.

islandboy
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 20, 2007, 08:39:22 PM »

Gosh, let me think. Yes, I have a beautiful yard. I let wild native plants grow in with things I have planted. I have Hibiscus bushes in red and white, yellow, and pink. I have many varieties of bromiliade plants. Several different banana trees, mango trees, orange tree, lots of oak, palm trees, one shaving brush tree, one star fruit tree, pineapple plants, ginger plants, pine trees, java plum trees, etc..... that's all I can think of right now. I need to dig out my photo albums. I used to do photography and took pictures of all these plants, but had to give it up due to disabilities. I will see if I can find them this weekend.

Debp
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 21, 2007, 01:40:52 AM »

Gosh, let me think. Yes, I have a beautiful yard. I let wild native plants grow in with things I have planted. I have Hibiscus bushes in red and white, yellow, and pink. I have many varieties of bromiliade plants. Several different banana trees, mango trees, orange tree, lots of oak, palm trees, one shaving brush tree, one star fruit tree, pineapple plants, ginger plants, pine trees, java plum trees, etc..... that's all I can think of right now. I need to dig out my photo albums. I used to do photography and took pictures of all these plants, but had to give it up due to disabilities. I will see if I can find them this weekend.

Wow, you have quite a yard and garden there!  Are you in the country or in a town?  Do you pick the fruit to eat?

I also have a bromiliad plant on the patio that I rescued from a florist's dumpster about 4 years ago!  It gets red blooms every year.  (The round ones in tiers.)  I've seen the straight blooms at the market and they are really pretty....especially in pink and yellow.

I used to do alot of photography as well but have taken a break from it the past couple of years.  I have so many photo albums already and also the developing costs add up.

islandboy
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 21, 2007, 12:15:53 PM »

I live in the country about five miles from town. Yes, we eat the fruit, that is what we get before the critters. I too have boxes of pictures, negatives, and slides. The cost of development was one other reason I quit taking pictures, plus my hands shake some when holding something in my hands. I can still take pictures with a tripod, but that takes the fun out of the unexpected finds and shots. I did a collection of postcards for a Florida town one time years ago. that was alot of fun. I was in a thrift store recently  and found a large slide viewer for $4.00. Now I am planning on going through my countless slides and weeding out the good from the bad. I dug out my pictures so I will scan them into my computer and put them up on my website soon as I can. I used to take pictures of wildflowers, wild animals, close-up's of hibiscus, buildings, etc................ But I know you would like to see the orchid flowers  that I have.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 21, 2007, 12:52:08 PM »

But I know you would like to see the orchid flowers  that I have.

I would like to see them also. Orchids have always fascinated me. They are so delicate and yet they are still so very sturdy.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Debp
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 21, 2007, 11:19:08 PM »

I live in the country about five miles from town. Yes, we eat the fruit, that is what we get before the critters. I too have boxes of pictures, negatives, and slides. The cost of development was one other reason I quit taking pictures, plus my hands shake some when holding something in my hands. I can still take pictures with a tripod, but that takes the fun out of the unexpected finds and shots. I did a collection of postcards for a Florida town one time years ago. that was alot of fun. I was in a thrift store recently  and found a large slide viewer for $4.00. Now I am planning on going through my countless slides and weeding out the good from the bad. I dug out my pictures so I will scan them into my computer and put them up on my website soon as I can. I used to take pictures of wildflowers, wild animals, close-up's of hibiscus, buildings, etc................ But I know you would like to see the orchid flowers  that I have.

Please remind us of your website, Islandboy.  Are you able to generate any income from having it?  Just curious.  I know some sites have ads that you can click and then the site gets a tiny amount, I think, for each click.

Are you a professional photographer or is it a hobby?  Mine was a hobby but I always have a good eye for composition.

Pepe Lepew

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 22, 2007, 03:32:53 AM »

Helllo everybody.   Smiley

I've been away for more than three years.  I notice under 'Cats are Evil', I'm the second or third reply, about May 28, 2004.   That was the day after my mother took ill and from then on barely a moment to sit down.  I was on then as 'Symphony'. 
« Last Edit: July 22, 2007, 03:37:59 AM by Pepe Lepew » Logged
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: July 22, 2007, 04:11:25 AM »

Helllo everybody.   Smiley

I've been away for more than three years.  I notice under 'Cats are Evil', I'm the second or third reply, about May 28, 2004.   That was the day after my mother took ill and from then on barely a moment to sit down.  I was on then as 'Symphony'. 

Welcome back brother (Symphony), it's great to hear from you (yes I remember you). Grin Grin  Last time I saw you was back in April, or May last year.   

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 22, 2007, 09:41:32 AM »

Hi Symphony/Pepe Lepew,

It's great to see you here. I hope you will be able to frewuent more often and join in some wonderful Christian fellowship with all us here.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 42 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the