Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 04:22:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286824 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Debate (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  CHRIST OR the devil
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: CHRIST OR the devil  (Read 20771 times)
Reba
« Reply #120 on: February 22, 2005, 09:52:30 AM »

My point in this has been, as it has in many threads, what the Word says. In this case the Word says Israel many men say  the Word says all Jews will be saved  it does not. I just dislike a doctrine being base on man inturpatation (sp) of what the Word truly says.

To move on i understand the scripture to read in a way taht tells me something like this... just because a man is born to Jewish parents does not mean he is of the Israel of God.

When they left Egypt it was with 'a mixed mutitude' . EX 12 :38   The fact that  Rahab was David's "grandmother' and Ruth the 'grandma' of Jesus, are some of the reasons i understand things this way. I believe God perposely 'mixed' the blood line to include those outside. Now this is where we can disagree.    Grin
Evangelist
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: February 22, 2005, 11:51:58 AM »

To begin - Do you know the difference between Sheol  and Gehenna? If you do - and let's assume for arguments sake that the "Rich Man" "parable" was literal (which it isn't) but if it were, then the rich man is not described as being in Gehenna is he?

As a matter of fact, Bronze, I do. Sheol is the HEBREW word characterizing the abode of the dead. In Jewish thought, Sheol is divided into two parts...the upper Sheol, which was also called Paradise, and the lower Sheol, which was the place of the tormented.  Jewish thought also considered the possiblity of an eventual escape from Paradise, but they didn't know how. On the other hand, the place of torment (lower Sheol) carried NO possibility of escape.

Gehenna is the ARAMAIC word used by Jesus to characterize the lower compartment of Sheol, and likend it to the valley of Hinnom (ge bene Hinnom). This valley is located just outside of the old Jerusalem, and was where the inhabitants of Jerusalem took their trash and burned it. Because it was constantly a place of fire, smoke and stench, He used it to illustrate the reality of a place of fire and torment. It also was where, according to Jewish writings, earlier civilizations that preceeded Israel conducted their ritual sacrifices to Moloch. Paul and others referred to this several times when making reference to idol worshipers making their children to "pass through the fire."  See this reference from Easton's topical bible:
( originally Ge bene Hinnom; i.e., "the valley of the sons of Hinnom"), a deep, narrow glen to the south of Jerusalem, where the idolatrous Jews offered their children in sacrifice to Molech ( 2Ch 28:3; 33:6; Jer 7:31; 19:2-6). This valley afterwards became the common receptacle for all the refuse of the city. Here the dead bodies of animals and of criminals, and all kinds of filth, were cast and consumed by fire kept always burning. It thus in process of time became the image of the place of everlasting destruction. In this sense it is used by our Lord in Mat 5:22, 29, 30; 10:28; 18:9; 23:15, 33; Mark 9:43, 45, 47; Luk 12:5. In these passages, and also in James 3:6, the word is uniformly rendered "hell," the Revised Version placing "Gehenna" in the margin

Since Jesus used the word "hades" here, gehenna has nothing to do with this. Hades is considered the "lower" part of the abode of the dead, just as with Sheol.  In Biblical Greek it is associated with Orcus, the infernal regions, a dark and dismal place in the very depths of the earth. Hades is the abode of the wicked from which there was no escape, and as such is synonymous with the above description of gehenna.

Since the rich man was (a) in torments, (b) in flame, and (c) needed a cool touch of water for his lips, it would be reasonably safe to assume that he was in lower sheol, aka hades aka gehenna aka hell.

I think I know the difference between the two, don't you?

Next, let's do assume that the "parable" is nothing more than a parable, and not literal. A parable is for the purpose of communicating a spiritual reality. Spiritual reality from the parable then, is that there is a place where people go to that will not be escaped from. Period. Note that in this "parable", Jesus recounts;

And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that [would come] from thence Luk 16:26

Doesn't Jesus say here that one CANNOT pass from one place to the other? Or, to put it another way, if one is sent to hades/hell/lower sheol, then one cannot get out of it. It appears that the parabolic rich man was a Jew, since Jesus was speaking to Jews about Jewish things.  Or, if you prefer, he was a "type" of unrighteous Jew, or even the unbelieving among the Jewish nation.

Finally, I would like to draw your attention to the fact that in every parable that Jesus spoke, He draw attention to (a)the fact that it was a parable, or (b) pointed out "xxxxxx is like unto", or similar phraseology. Also, in NONE of His parables did He ever mention a specific name, as He did in this one.  Could it be that He knew a beggar named Lazarus?  And that this person would have been known by name and status to some of His hearers?

When the literal makes sense, make no other sense of it unless it becomes nonsense.

This is an important detail, because I contend that God promised that the Jews will be forgiven and saved at the end of the time of the Gentiles - when Jesus Returns I believe they do go to their "graves"( sheol ) when they die BEFORE JESUS RETURNS

All of the details are important....especially the distinctions found in understanding the compartmentalization of "Sheol", which is much much more than just a grave.  It certainly sounds like you fully believe that you will be standing for eternity in heaven in company with Saul, the witch of Endor, Barabbas, Caiphas, Herod and a few others of the same ilk.

The story of the "rich man" is a parable my friend.
You posted that parable but then you added 1Peter 3:18-20 onto it, which appears to make the parable literal my friend. That's not possible.

But, let's look at 1Peter 3:18-20 - who did Jesus preach to there? and for what purpose?

No, Bronze...I didn't add 1 Pet....you did. I was making reference to
Psa 68:18 Thou hast ascended on high, thou hast led captivity captive: thou hast received gifts for men; yea, [for] the rebellious also, that the LORD God might dwell [among them].    *and*
Eph 4:8 Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men.

But adding also the 1 Pet., we still have the fact that the reference is to leading to heaven those who had been waiting on Him, who had been in Paradise, and who were considered by God to be righteous under the Abrahamic and Sinaitic covenants, but NOT able to receive the promise UNTIL Jesus paid the price.

Why didn't Jesus make the same promise to the other thief, if that is what was going to happen? Could it be because the other thief (a Jew) was NOT going to be in Paradise?

The parable of Lazarus and the rich man, has been used a long time by mainstream ministers to teach the reality of "hell"

Along with a number of other scriptures. I believe that Jesus spent almost as much time talking about the reality of hell as He did the reality of heaven.

-  however, it really has nothing to say about punishment or reward in the afterlife at all.

Really?!?
"and in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments... (Luke 16:23)
"....Father Abraham, have mercy on me... (Luke 16:24a)
"...for I am tormented in this flame  (Luke 16:24b)
"...so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us... (Luke 16:26)
"...it is appointed ONCE to man to die, THEN JUDGMENT" (Heb. 9:27)

I suppose torments after death don't have anything to do with punishment or afterlife.

If I were to accept your version of the future of the Jews, I would have to deny the verses I just posted among several others which explain and confirm God's promise to the Jews.

No you don't, Bronze...you just have to rightly divide the entirety of God's Word, and not deny other parts.

I think you aren't reading completely, and are making a bad assumption concerning what I (we) have said about the Jews, so let me make it absolutely clear.
1. The Jews are God's chosen people.
2. He will fulfill His promises to them.
3. At the second coming of Christ, the Jews will recognize and accept Him.
4. Those who believe in Christ, whether predating or post dating His crucifixion, will be saved.
5. Those who are not declared righteous, pre or post, WILL NOT BE SAVED.
6. No one can escape the words of Jesus Himself, very God, when He said NO ONE COMETH TO THE FATHER BUT BY ME, and since the crucifixion and resurrection, there is no more "waiting room" to give ANY men a second chance.

The Jews do NOT have a separate path to God. Those who died prior to Christ were given the opportunity (from Paradise) to accept His sacrifice on their behalf. If they weren't in Paradise waiting, then they didn't get to go. Those who die on this side of the cross don't make it without Him.

p.s. I love Hagee's ministery! 

I'm sorry.
Then I guess that means we should never try to tell any Jew about Jesus, right?  What's the use?

“I do not set aside the grace of God: for if righteousness comes through the law, then Christ died in vain” (Galatians 2:21).

BroHank
John 8:12 Ministries  www.john812.com
The Beymers  www.thebeymers.org
Bronzesnake
« Reply #122 on: February 22, 2005, 12:47:32 PM »

.Evangelist my brother...

I think you aren't reading completely, and are making a bad assumption concerning what I (we) have said about the Jews, so let me make it absolutely clear.

1. The Jews are God's chosen people. I agree I don't think you are concentrating on the word "CHOSEN" what benefit is be CHOSEN if you end up losing everything? Is that how God rewards His CHOSEN people? Especially in light of the fact that it was God who caused the JEWS to reject Jesus!

2. He will fulfill His promises to them. Not according to you and others

3. At the second coming of Christ, the Jews will recognize and accept Him. No my friend - not "the"Jews that's your interpretation. God says "ALL" Jews.

I re-read my original post to you my friend - and I can see that it may have come across as being slightly arrogant - that's not my intent - perhaps I could have tones it down a wee bit - I am debating for the purpose of getting as full an understanding of God's Word as I can - I promise that if I am shown through scriptures, that I have misunderstood any of God's message - I will openly, and happily admit it, and accept the Truth.

As for this debate - I am firmly convinced that God made the following declarations.

Gen 17:7 And I will establish my covenant between me and thee and thy seed after thee in their generations
for an everlasting covenant , to be a God unto thee, and to thy seed after thee.
Notice their are no conditions placed on this promise God doesn't say "whosoever believes in me"He does say that to the Gentiles doesn't He? Wonder why that is? hmmm Guess God was having a bad hair day and just forgot to mention that part to His CHOSEN people huh?

There is a real and distinct difference between this promise and the promise of salvation to the Gentiles. God tells the Jews that His promise with them will be everlasting and the entire race from past present and future will be saved.

He doesn't make that promise to Gentiles. With Gentiles, He offers a sacrificial saviour that ALL WHO ACCEPT HIM will be saved. There is a very distinct difference here. That is why God didn't include ALL RACES in His first covenant - He only included the JEW.

Why do you think He singled out the Jew in His first covenant and not all mankind my friend?

Gen 17:8 And I will give unto thee, and to thy seed after thee, the land wherein thou art a stranger, all the land of Canaan, for an everlasting possession; and I will be their God.  

Rom 11:26 And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob:  

What does that verse say my friend? does it say "all faithful Jews shall be saved"? or does it say "some of the Jews shall be saved - or does it say "ALL ISRAEL SHALL
BE SAVED"? AS IT IS WRITTEN

But why are the Jews so special? we complain...and God says the following...
Rom 11:27 For this [is] my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins.

See my friend. God doesn't make grammatical mistakes. His covenant with the Jews is all encompassing. God caused the Jews to be "blinded" so that we could have a chance of salvation. That's the point some of us are missing. God made the Jews blind for our sake. There reward will be ALL JEWS WILL BE SAVED and RECEIVE
 ISRAEL FOR AN EVERLASTING POSSESSION.

Some of us are missing this important difference between the Jews and the Gentiles. God caused the Jews to be "BLINDED" God caused the JEWS to REJECT JESUS. We Gentiles have a choice whether to accept Jesus or reject Jesus - God has NOT BLINDED the Gentiles. Therefore we are responsible for asking Jesus into our lives or turning away. The JEWS did not have this same choice when God made His covenant with them. This is fundamental to understanding why God chose the Jews and what the reward would be bestowed upon the JEWS for being His chosen people.

Why are the Jews called "CHOSEN"?  if I accept your opinion, then we are ALL God's Chosen people - that is just not true

Bronzesnake
Mrs.Chosen

Chosen By GOD Isaiah 43:1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: February 22, 2005, 05:12:05 PM »

Apparent Failure of the promises to ISRAEL explained by their unbelief

Brethren, my heart's desire and my prayer to GOD for them is for their salvation.
For I bear them witness that they have a zeal for GOD, but not in accordance with knowledge. For not knowing about GODs righteousness, and seeking to establish their own, they did not subject themselves to the righteousness of GOD. For CHRIST is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes.
Quote"I did see any question in your last post. I did see some rather suggestive headings posted above a couple of verses.
such as this one...

Quote:
Apparent Failure of the promises to ISRAEL explained by their unbelief

What's that heading sugesting? That God's promise was a failure?

Look, Lisa, my sister - The verse you posted under that heading is Romans 10:1-4"

1 Question Bronze. What kind of Bible are you reading? I'm not being sarcastic, I'm really asking you. I use a few but mostly The New King James. The heading for Romans 10:1-4 was taken from the bible and not my own words. So that leads me to believe your lack of understanding in the bible.
The same heading in different translations:

Israel Needs the Gospel, Salvation Is Open to All

Apparent failure of the promises to Israel explained by their unbelief

Isreals Unbelief

Romans 11:20-21 (New King James Version)

20Well said. Because of unbelief they were broken off, and you stand by faith. Do not be haughty, but fear. 21For if God did not spare the natural branches, He may not spare you either.

If God did not spare the natural branches...
what does that say?
P.s. why would I respond to the other post when all of my answers are here. Besides I have no issues with trusting GOD.
The jews that die with out Christ today will see hell. Because the only souls that will be rising from the dead (at the appointed time) will be THE DEAD IN CHRIST.

In Christ Jesus Love,

L.Gore
Bronzesnake
« Reply #124 on: February 22, 2005, 08:17:11 PM »

Lisa.

The heading in your Bible are not found in the origional manuscripts...didn't you know that?

I keep coming back to this debate even though I said I was finished with it.

It's like banging my head against a wall - read Romas 10 & 11 try and grasp the totality of those chapters, instead of hanging your hat onto a "heading" or a "name" Ask yourself why God only referes to the Jews and "His Chosen people" there is obviously a distinction between the "chosen" and the rest of us. That's easy enough to grasp, especially if someone is an English major! Why didn't God include all people in the first covenant? Why only the Jews? THINK ABOUT THAT! There are TWO covenants - why did God make Two, and not just one for everyone?

Once you can answer these question, you should be much closer to the Truth. Keep ignoring these questions and you will remain baffled.

It's been....interesting.

That's all folks!
I hope. Undecided

Bronzesnake
Mrs.Chosen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: February 22, 2005, 09:39:09 PM »

you win!! Bronze you win.
GOD has forsed the jews to reject HIM so they don't have free will. They are made to turn away and then they will bemade to love him and accept HIM. And the ones that die without accepting HIM right now just get to get in because believing in Jesus today does not apply to them. They can die right now without HIM yet still get in. Wow, it's funny because GOD is still saving people left and right but they have to be blind through it all. But what about the jews that have accepted JESUS, did GOD unblind them and blind a bunch of the other jews? So when Jesus came He didn't come for the jews, he only came for us. Because you are telling me that no matter if they die right now with or without Jesus they are gonna rise and be caught up . How could Jesus just come for the gentiles when we all needed a saviour?  They were blind but they have a choise today! And some jews have chosen Jesus.

I just don't anyone to think that just because their mom and dad were jewish that they need not except Jesus right now while they are living and breathing. Now is the time!!!!!!!

In Christ Jesus Love,

L.Gore
Reba
« Reply #126 on: February 23, 2005, 10:36:33 AM »

Heb 8:6-8

6 But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises.

7 For if that first covenant had been faultless, then should no place have been sought for the second.

8 For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah:
KJV

Heb 13:20

20 Now the God of peace, that brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great shepherd of the sheep, through the blood of the everlasting covenant,
KJV

John 6:53-58

53 Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you.

54 Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.
55 For my flesh is meat indeed, and my blood is drink indeed.

56 He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, dwelleth in me, and I in him.

57 As the living Father hath sent me, and I live by the Father: so he that eateth me, even he shall live by me.

58 This is that bread which came down from heaven: not as your fathers did eat manna, and are dead: he that eateth of this bread shall live for ever.
KJV
Brian.L.

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 23, 2005, 08:34:40 PM »

Hi I am wondering when the Bible talks of the Jews is He talking of one of the twelve tribes of Isreal Judea?

And when God speaks of Isreal (excuse spelling) is He not speaking of the people Isreal and not the nation?

Thank You:   Brian.

Faith Without Works Is Dead!
Reba
« Reply #128 on: February 23, 2005, 08:39:45 PM »

Hi I am wondering when the Bible talks of the Jews is He talking of one of the twelve tribes of Isreal Judea?

And when God speaks of Isreal (excuse spelling) is He not speaking of the people Isreal and not the nation?

Thank You:   Brian.

Brian  i think the nation is the people could be be thinking of the country?
Brian.L.

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 23, 2005, 08:59:52 PM »

Hi Again:  

Thanks for your reply. The reason I asked this question is besides Judea there are 11 other tribes of Isreal and just wondering where they are today?

So when God speaks to Isreal I am wondering what of the other 11 tribes could it be that the U.S.A. ,Canada, Britan , and others are also part of the tribes of Isreal???

Thank You.

Your Brother in Christ:  Brian

Bronzesnake
« Reply #130 on: February 23, 2005, 09:58:44 PM »

Hi Again:  

Thanks for your reply. The reason I asked this question is besides Judea there are 11 other tribes of Isreal and just wondering where they are today?

So when God speaks to Isreal I am wondering what of the other 11 tribes could it be that the U.S.A. ,Canada, Britan , and others are also part of the tribes of Isreal???

Thank You.

Your Brother in Christ:  Brian

Not at all my friend. There are some quazi-christian cults out there such as JW who teach that the 144,000 chosen by God from the twelve tribes of Israel are their membership. In the beging, the JW taught that once their members reached this 144,000 number, that God would end the world, and wisk all 144,000 up to Heaven. When their membership bypassed this "majical" number, they re-wrote their teaching, and now the 144,000 are the "elite" members of their cult which go to Heaven, the rest will go to "paradise"  Roll Eyes

The Bible teaches that when the Roman army under General Vespasian, conquered Israel and destroyed the temple, that the Twelve tribes (All Jews) were scattered throughout the world. The Bible also teaches that one of the prophetic signs of the end times, is that the scattered Jews would return home. We can witness this happening today, with Jews from all corners of the globe returning to the homeland.

The 144,000 spoken of by God are all Jews. The Bible clearly teaches this - 12,000 Jews from each tribe - you'll notice that the tribes are all listed by name. Ask yourself if these sound like European descended names, or are they Jewish names.

These 144,000 are peotected by God during the final seven year Tribulation period, and they will preach the Gospel of Jesus Christ, in order to fulfill God's promise that All Jews will accept Jesus and therefore, all Jews will be saved.

Bronzesnake
Brian.L.

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 24, 2005, 12:46:01 AM »

Wow  you see when I first relly got involved in searching I got into have you heard of the worldwide church of God with Herbert. W. Armstrong. Well after prision they would check up and I was still smoking cigerretts and was not allowed to attend sabbath only the Bible study they said they had to protect the flock and after that I just fell away. I am not blaming them for falling away as I am responsible for my own actions.

Now I do pray for God to lead me and let The Holy Spirit teach me.

All I know now is Jesus shed His blood for my sins and that is where the starting point is.

I feel I was lead to this site for fellowship and scripture disscussion because at first after quitting drugs and alcohol its pretty lonely and this site helps me stay focused because I have been led to different cults in the past even attend places where they pray to spirits and even though in these places I would pray to jesus I new it was not right.  So I like to ask questions and learn and I thank God and you people for being His instruments in helping me Cheesy

With Love and Respect:

Your Brother in Christ: Brian

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 24, 2005, 03:28:55 AM »

Brother Brian,

Here is one question that will help you tremendously in finding a church that is not a cult. Ask them if Jesus Christ is Almighty God?

If they say no, they are a cult and false teachers. Some churches that call themselves Christian teach that Jesus Christ was just a man, or just a prophet, or just a creation, or just a brother of Lucifer who was made into a god, just an angel, or just anything else than Almighty God.

God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit are ONE ALMIGHTY GOD. Jesus Christ is Almighty God - THE CREATOR OF ALL.

Brother, I'm sorry to tell you this, but Herbert Armstrong denies that Jesus Christ is Almighty God. They are a cult.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Colossians 3:17  And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.

asaph

Call on Jesus!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: February 24, 2005, 04:05:35 AM »

Bronzesnake
You are dead wrong on this one-
OK, right off the top...I have posted many scriptures which have God emphatically, unequivocally stating and even restating that the Jews will never be rejected, and that the Jews will ALL be forgiven and saved. I even tried to present God's final plan (Tribulation) in which He completes His task and fulfills His promises.

Let me quote Jesus-
John 8:44 You are of your father the devil, and you want to do the desires of your father. He was a murderer from the beginning and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaks the lie, he speaks it out of his own possessions; for he is a liar and the father of it.

Matthew 8:10 When Jesus heard this, he was astonished and said to those following him, “I tell you the truth, I have not found anyone in Israel with such great faith. 11I say to you that many will come from the east and the west, and will take their places at the feast with Abraham, Isaac and Jacob in the kingdom of heaven. 12But the subjects of the kingdom will be thrown outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.”

Paul called the Jews who were of the circumcision dogs. Not all Israel are Israel but only those Jews who are of the faith of Jesus Christ.

It is true that all Israel will be saved but true Israel are those who put there trust in Jesus Christ otherwise they will die in their sin.

You interpret Romans 11 wrongly my friend.

asaph

Mrs.Chosen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: February 24, 2005, 09:31:43 AM »

How can I say AMEN in each language?

Follow me to a place where it is evident that jews are suppose to open up their eyes. Yes they were blinded, but when Jesus left, the word went forth and many jews believed.

"Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly that God has made this Jesus, whom you crucified, both Lord and Christ."
Now when they heard this, they were cut to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, "Men and brethren, what shall we do?"
Then Peter said to them, "Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. For the promise is to you and to your children, and to all who are afar off, as many as the Lord our God will call."
And with many other words he testified and exhorted them, saying, "Be saved from this perverse generation." Then those who gladly received his word were baptized; and that day about three thousand souls were added to them. And they continued steadfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, in the breaking of bread, and in prayers. Then fear came upon every soul, and many wonders and signs were done through the apostles."

Acts 2:36-43 (New King James Version)

In Christ Jesus Love,

L.Gore
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the