Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 09:53:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286803 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Movies (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  End of the Spear
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: End of the Spear  (Read 4371 times)
sincereheart
Gold Member

"and with His stripes we are healed." Isaiah 53:5

View Profile WWW
« on: February 06, 2006, 07:52:25 AM »

Anyone planning to see it?  Huh

http://www.endofthespear.com/

Any thoughts on Chad Allen as the lead?  Huh

Feb. 6, 2006 issue - Chad Allen: former drug-using teen heartthrob, lapsed Roman Catholic, gay activist and ... Christian missionary. The choice of the openly gay Allen as the lead actor in "End of the Spear," a new Christian-made movie about the real-life story of a son who makes peace with an Amazon tribe that killed his missionary father, has created a dilemma for moviegoers who want to support the movie's message, but not its messenger. "This story is perhaps one of the most precious, well-known mission stories of the last century," says Jason Janz, an assistant pastor in Colorado who brought attention to the issue on his fundamentalist blog, SharperIron.org. "I believe it was bad judgment to cast one of Hollywood's foremost gay activists in the leading role." But, at the same time, other religious leaders—including Jerry Falwell, who has publicly preached against homosexuals—are encouraging their congregations to see the movie.

The schizophrenic response from the Christian community is a blow to the movie's producers, who were hoping for a unified "Passion of the Christ"-type turnout. "It's disappointing," says Jim Hanon, the film's director and co-writer. "Especially because the message of the story is that you should reach out in love to people you disagree with."

When the movie's producers offered the part to Allen, who currently attends a Christian congregation, they didn't know he was gay. (The producers aren't exactly the target audience for The Advocate, which put Allen on the cover when he came out in 2001.) Ultimately, the decision to leave Allen in the role was left up to the man the movie is based on, Steve Saint, since Allen was set to play Steve—and his slain father—in the film. "My dad was my hero, and the thought of someone playing him that advocates that lifestyle made me very uncomfortable," says Saint. "But I realized it wasn't for me to condone or to condemn what Chad does or doesn't do. That is God's prerogative. And I feel that God had his hand in setting up this complex scenario for Chad to play this part."

Not everyone agrees that Allen is God-sent. Janz recently got more than 100 pastors to join him in signing a letter to the movie's producers saying that they couldn't in good conscience support the film. There is, however, one upside to having Allen in the movie. "I'm absolutely sure we're having people check it out that never would have gone to a 'Christian' movie," says Allen. "I went with 30 of my close friends, and we walked away having these amazing spiritual conversations together." Which is exactly what both Saints were trying to do in that Amazon jungle.
—Elise Soukup
© 2006 Newsweek, Inc.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11078560/site/newsweek/

Terri

I'm a Christian

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2006, 10:10:02 AM »

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I would like to. It looks very interesting. I am not happy the director chose to have a gay man play a role in this movie. I think that degrades the greatness of this story. It also sends  mixed messages to the gay community. And the Christian community as well.

I will still see the movie. I will focus on the story being told and not the actors lifestyle.
Terri

The Lord is my strength, my hope, and my happiness!!!!
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2006, 11:16:22 PM »

"End Of The Spear"? Does this have anything to do with your stop posting thread?   Wink Grin Grin

Seriously speaking, I have heard about this movie. I am not sure that I want to watch it though. Hollywood is trying anyway they can to push their homosexual agenda in anyway that they can.

This is something I will have to take into prayer.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
sincereheart
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2006, 06:57:03 AM »

Terri and Pastor R, Sounds we're on the same page about it.  Undecided

"End Of The Spear"? Does this have anything to do with your stop posting thread?  Wink Grin Grin

Not yet!  Angry

Grin

Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2006, 11:04:36 AM »

I personally can't afford to go and see it!  Problem solved!  Seriously though, I'd like to see it.  I think we need to approach the film from a very discerning mindset though.  I don't think having a gay actor play the role will be a major problem, as he is acting.  I've heard some pretty good reviews before everyone was made aware of the leads "orientation."  My fear is that we begin to judge people in the purest sense of the word.  We are called upon to judge, but not to pass judgment.  In my life, I'd fear that this is what I'd be doing by not seeing it.  But, I am broke!   Grin

For those who won't or don't feel right about going to see it...I can respect your viewpoint quite well.  "Beware the little foxes which spoil the vine..."

"that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death"
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2006, 11:34:59 AM »

Brothers and Sisters,

I am also broke, but I do have some feelings on many issues about Hollywood right now. Hollywood won't lose much money because my wife and I decide to cancel our 3 trips a year to the movies. BUT, we've just about decided that Hollywood, in general, can't have 10 cents of our money.

Many will disagree with what I'm about to say, and I understand that completely. Generally, Hollywood stands for the devil and everything my wife an I are opposed to. So, we have decided to withhold any and all money for their future debauchery in all categories. We will eat our own popcorn at home and watch the Three Stooges. AND, if anyone calls me an old "Fundy", count on an immediate barrage of pies.  Cheesy

Love in Christ,
Tom

Isaiah 55:10-11 NASB  "For as the rain and the snow come down from heaven, And do not return there without watering the earth And making it bear and sprout, And furnishing seed to the sower and bread to the eater; So will My word be which goes forth from My mouth; It will not return to Me empty, Without accomplishing what I desire, And without succeeding in the matter for which I sent it.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2006, 01:01:48 PM »

I could use some pies about now ..... so ...... Brother Tom you're an old "Fundy".

Grin Grin Grin Grin

I must agree with you though, I really don't think hollywood deserves a dime.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2006, 04:31:53 PM »

I could use some pies about now ..... so ...... Brother Tom you're an old "Fundy".

Grin Grin Grin Grin

I must agree with you though, I really don't think hollywood deserves a dime.

Brother Roger,

Grin   Grin  WHOA!!    -    From one old "Fundy" to another old "Fundy", we need to join up and pick on a YOUNG "Fundy" together. After all, they throw pies faster than we do.

All kidding aside, I do have some pretty strong feelings about what the folks in Hollywood are trying to get average folks to swallow. Hook them up with politics, their big money, and their obvious disdain and mockery of Christians, and you have a big picture that isn't very pretty.

The film that recently won all the awards just about tells all the story I want to hear. I would throw pies at them, but the pies that I throw taste PRETTY GOOD.  Grin

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2006, 04:37:31 PM »

I'm all for it. Who'se the younger Fundy we could get to do that?

No brother I wouldn't waste any pies on hollywood. I would rather throw the word of God at them.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2006, 04:45:43 PM »

I'm all for it. Who'se the younger Fundy we could get to do that?

No brother I wouldn't waste any pies on hollywood. I would rather throw the word of God at them.

Cheesy  Now that we're paired up as the "Dynamic Oldie Fundies", why don't we ambush one "Young Fundy" per day and start out with Allinall and 2nd Timothy?  How about coconut cream? I was just thinking that we might even have some "Young Fundy" volunteers, and we would throw nothing but the highest quality pies that can be made.  Grin

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2006, 04:50:33 PM »

Cheesy  Now that we're paired up as the "Dynamic Oldie Fundies", why don't we ambush one "Young Fundy" per day and start out with Allinall and 2nd Timothy?  How about coconut cream? I was just thinking that we might even have some "Young Fundy" volunteers, and we would throw nothing but the highest quality pies that can be made.  Grin

I like that idea. However if it's chocolate cream with strawberries on top it wouldn't get thrown.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Early In The Morning I Will Praise The Lord

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2006, 05:14:05 PM »

Brother Roger,

Grin   Grin  WHOA!!    -    From one old "Fundy" to another old "Fundy", we need to join up and pick on a YOUNG "Fundy" together. After all, they throw pies faster than we do.

All kidding aside, I do have some pretty strong feelings about what the folks in Hollywood are trying to get average folks to swallow. Hook them up with politics, their big money, and their obvious disdain and mockery of Christians, and you have a big picture that isn't very pretty.

The film that recently won all the awards just about tells all the story I want to hear. I would throw pies at them, but the pies that I throw taste PRETTY GOOD.  Grin

Don't waste the good pies BEP's, if you throw mud pies I'll help  Grin

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2006, 05:24:02 PM »

Hollywood does a pretty good job of throwing mud on themselves.

sincereheart
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2006, 04:57:42 AM »

I personally can't afford to go and see it!  Problem solved!  Seriously though, I'd like to see it.  I think we need to approach the film from a very discerning mindset though.  I don't think having a gay actor play the role will be a major problem, as he is acting.  I've heard some pretty good reviews before everyone was made aware of the leads "orientation."  My fear is that we begin to judge people in the purest sense of the word.  We are called upon to judge, but not to pass judgment.  In my life, I'd fear that this is what I'd be doing by not seeing it.  But, I am broke!   Grin

For those who won't or don't feel right about going to see it...I can respect your viewpoint quite well.  "Beware the little foxes which spoil the vine..."

I KNOW we won't go see it in theaters! Not just the expense for us- but also the nearest theater is an hour away!  Shocked

But it'll come out on DVD and we're always looking for good family movies to add to our collection.

It doesn't bother me that the movie has an actor in it that sins.... what bothers me is that the movie has an actor in it that is an advocate for their sin. I would feel that way if it had a _________ in it who was actively promoting _______ as a lifestyle.  Wink

sincereheart
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2006, 05:05:00 AM »

Brothers and Sisters,

I am also broke, but I do have some feelings on many issues about Hollywood right now. Hollywood won't lose much money because my wife and I decide to cancel our 3 trips a year to the movies. BUT, we've just about decided that Hollywood, in general, can't have 10 cents of our money.
You went three times a year??  Shocked We've gone once in the past three years!  Cool

Many will disagree with what I'm about to say, and I understand that completely. Generally, Hollywood stands for the devil and everything my wife an I are opposed to. So, we have decided to withhold any and all money for their future debauchery in all categories. We will eat our own popcorn at home and watch the Three Stooges. AND, if anyone calls me an old "Fundy", count on an immediate barrage of pies.  Cheesy
Didn't Hollywood make the Stooges?  Tongue
And you're not saying that your wife actually like them, are you?  Shocked

The film that recently won all the awards just about tells all the story I want to hear. I would throw pies at them, but the pies that I throw taste PRETTY GOOD.
ROFL! And they sometimes refer to them as "cowboys" but there ain't no cattle!  Angry

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the