Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 02:45:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286799 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  General Theology (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Grace, Wasn't Neccessary
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Grace, Wasn't Neccessary  (Read 770 times)
Silver Surfer

View Profile
« on: October 30, 2005, 03:04:22 PM »

"For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men". Titus 2:11.  

By disobeying the commands of God, man fell under the condemnation (Under) of His law.

This fall called for the grace of God to appear in behalf of sinners.
We should never have learned the meaning of this word "grace" had we not fallen.

God loves the sinless angels, who do His service, and are obedient to all His commands; but He does not give them grace.
Grace, is God's power to obey (Romans 1:5)

These heavenly beings know nothing of grace; they have never needed it; for they have never sinned.

Grace is an attribute of God shown to undeserving human beings.
We did not seek after it, but it was sent in search of us.
God rejoices to bestow this grace upon every one who hungers for it.
To every one He presents terms of mercy, not because we are worthy, but because we are so utterly unworthy.

Our need, is the qualification which gives us the assurance that we shall receive this gift.

But God does not use His grace to make His law of none effect, or to take the place of His law. . . . God's grace and the law of His kingdom are in perfect harmony; they walk hand in hand....as scripture says !

His grace makes it possible for us to draw near to Him by faith.
By receiving it, and letting it work in our lives, we testify to the validity of the law (10 commandments); true Christians exalt the law and make it honorable by carrying out its living principles through the power of the grace of Christ; and by rendering pure, whole-hearted obedience to God's law, we witness before the universe of heaven, and before an apostate-Christian world that is making void the law of God, to the power of redemption.  

Not because we first loved Him, does God love us; but "while we were yet sinners" (Rom. 5:Cool Christ died for us, making full and abundant provision for our redemption.

Although by our disobedience we have merited God's displeasure and condemnation, He has not forsaken us; He has not left us to wrestle with the power of the enemy in our own frail human strength.

Heavenly angels fight our battles for us; and co-operating with them, we may be victorious over the powers of evil.

Trusting in Christ as our personal Saviour, we may be "more than conquerors through him that loved us" (Rom. 8:37).
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2005, 12:38:46 AM »

Silver Surfer,

Against this historical background, we can see that to uphold the whole of God's Word as the standard for the Church and for the Nations is, in these days, to swim against the tide. But to do so is to be faithful to the clear teaching of Scripture. Our age is strangely at odds with historical Christianity, and painful theological debates will continue as we wrestle with this significant issue.

If a fear of accusations of legalism prevents us from proclaming that God's Word needs to be applied to modern Christians, we have surely reached a sad state of affairs. May there be a restoration in these days of the fulness of the gospel of grace which provides both the pardon for sin (imputed in justification), and the power to overcome sin (imparted in sanctification). May we not be afraid of law as it helps us to see sin, gives us direction for godly living, and points us to Christ for the good news of His salvation.

Today the cry is commonly heard that one group or another is legalistic. Those who hold to the continuing validity of the Old Testament are frequently described in those terms. But is it necessarily true that a conviction concerning the place of the law - a belief that "the law is good, if one uses it lawfully" (1Tim 1:Cool - is tantamount to legalism, and contrary to the Biblical doctrine of grace?

Salvation is by grace alone. Many great men of God have laid down their lives for this conviction. None can do anything to merit the Lord's favour by works of law-keeping. Throughout church history there have been those who have sought to earn their salvation, starting with the Judaizers of whom Paul wrote in Galatians. But they all stand condemned before the clear teaching of Scripture.

Justification is entirely of God's grace. Even the faith, which we exercise to appropriate that grace, is a gift from God. It is nothing of which we can boast, as if we contributed it as a work meriting God's favour (Eph 2:8,9).

C.H Spurgeon, a great preacher of the gospel of grace, summed it up in his usual pithy way: "I found out that I could not be saved by good works for two very good reasons: first, I had not got any, and secondly, if I had any, they could not save me."

Our desire to please God in this way is not burdensome. It is a delight (Ps 19:7-11) and an expression of our love for him (1Jn 5:1-5). Having been saved at such cost by His grace, why would we not want to live in a way that is pleasing to Him in every detail, especially when His grace has provided us all that we need for life and godliness?

Trusting in works to merit salvation. This was the error of the Jews, and to some measure continues to be the case in, for example, Roman Catholicism. Demanding adherence to man-made rules which are not found in Scripture - which is the case in strict religious circles which forbid such things as drinking, dancing, or attending movies.

In Matt 19:16-17, Jesus was speaking to a Lawyer who was self-righteous since he wanted to put Jesus to the test (Luke 10:25).  He asked what he must do in order to obtain eternal life and Jesus responded with the requirements of keeping the commandments.  If a person keeps all of the commandments, it would seem that they could obtain eternal life.  However, nobody can keep all of the commandments.  Therefore, Jesus' comments to this man show this man that justification can only be by faith since no one can keep all of the commandments.  This is why it says in Eph. 2:8 that we are saved by grace through faith.

The Law cannot save us because we are incapable of keeping it. Therefore, salvation is by faith through grace. Matt 19:16-17 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life? And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

Resting in the hands, of Jesus.
Bob

Psalm 116:6 The Lord preserves the simple; I was brought low, and He helped and saved me.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the