Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:37:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286808 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Apologetics (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Civil Disobedience and the Ten Commandments
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Civil Disobedience and the Ten Commandments  (Read 7803 times)
Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2003, 10:58:53 PM »

Oh give it up. This was never about the Ten Commandments, it's been about Roy Moore all along. I mean what a great gimmick. He now has the name recognition to be elected governor of Alabama. That's what this was all about. Roy Moore is no defender of Christianity, he's just another cynical, venal, corrupt politician.

That might be unfair, Knox.

Judge Moore began this in 1992, as a circuit court judge in Alabama, with a wood engraving that he had done, of the TenCs, in 1980, he said, which he wanted to hang in his courtroom then.  Apparently, at least since then, or maybe later in 1995, the ACLU, and now other groups, have been suing him all the way up the chain of courts.  As Chf. Justice, he is an elected officer--that means the people of alabama want him there.

Moore is a Viet Nam decorated veteran, graduate of West Point Military Acadamy.   He only wanted the freedom to hang a copy of the Ten Commandments in his courtroom, for which apparently he's been challenged only by limited special interest groups at every turn, all the way up the chain.

And his only ability to fight has been b/c of contributions of believers all along the way, as I understand it.

What do you find so wrong with all of that?  What is so "Wrong" with the Ten Commmandments--thou shalt not steal, false witness....

What's so wrong with it?  You make Chf. Justice Moore out to be a common criminal, corrupt, "grand-standing" for his own advancement.

He's a family, he's elected by the people, he's advanced in his "craft".  No wrong-doing has been shown on his part, except to place the Ten Commandments where he does his business.  And he was elected there.
Knox

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2003, 11:15:15 PM »

No one is saying the Ten Commandments are 'wrong'.

By all accounts the other eight Justices, the ones who ordered the building staff to move the 'monument', are all fine upstanding Christian men. Why did they disagree with Roy Moore on this? Because they feel something is wrong with the Ten Commandments? I doubt it.

The legal community in Alabama must have been just horrified when a hayseed throwback like Roy Moore was elected Chief Justice!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2003, 11:41:54 PM by Knox » Logged
sincereheart
Gold Member

"and with His stripes we are healed." Isaiah 53:5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2003, 11:35:06 PM »

I'm lurking and I'm trying to behave, really I am...  Wink
Oh give it up. This was never about the Ten Commandments, it's been about Roy Moore all along. I mean what a great gimmick. He now has the name recognition to be elected governor of Alabama. That's what this was all about. Roy Moore is no defender of Christianity, he's just another cynical, venal, corrupt politician.

I agree that this was never about the Ten Commandments. I agree that it's probably a gimmick. But I believe you're aiming in the wrong direction.

"Vote for Larry Darby"

Larry Darby for Attorney General Committee

P. O. Box 3905, Montgomery, AL 36109-0905

334-269-1885

Ah... but who IS Larry Darby?
http://www.angelfire.com/al4/larrydarby/darbyplatform.htm
FOR IMMEDIATE DISTRIBUTION
MONTGOMERY, ALABAMA – March 12, 2003

Larry Darby, Alabama State Director for American Atheists, today decried the erosion of religious liberty in Alabama, citing both the recent Christian proselytization by Gov. Riley and the Alabama House’s passage of an amendment that would allow the posting of the Theistic Ten Commandments in government school classrooms.
Riley recently admonished government leaders: “Our job is to remember we are servants of the people and the Lord, Jesus Christ. Riley, who has called for “prayer soldiers,” also claimed that the U.S. was founded on a rock, “and that rock was our lord and savior Jesus Christ.” Riley revealed his Theistic mission: “If we are going to save this country, if we are going to re-establish that belief in God, it’s up to us. If we don’t do it, who will?”

Darby said, “These statements were from the same governor who instituted ostensibly voluntary Bible study classes at the taxpayer-owned Capitol and indicated he didn’t want to politicize his Bible studies; Riley has not only politicized his Theistic views, he has proselytized for Jesus whenever and wherever he could.”
http://www.angelfire.com/al4/larrydarby/
http://www.atheists.org/al/rep02122003.html
http://atheists.home.att.net/news/021004.htm

Knox

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2003, 11:46:58 PM »

Sorry I don't get your point here. Some guy named Larry Darby wants to make a run for Attorney General. As an atheist, what do you think his chances are? lol.
sincereheart
Gold Member

"and with His stripes we are healed." Isaiah 53:5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: August 30, 2003, 06:14:36 AM »

Sorry I don't get your point here. Some guy named Larry Darby wants to make a run for Attorney General. As an atheist, what do you think his chances are? lol.

As a Christian, I hope his chances are slim to none.... No, check that; I hope his chances are none to none.  Tongue

'Some guy' is quoted in so many of the articles about Judge Moore that it caught my attention. The same said 'some guy' fails to mention on his 'vote for me' site that he is an atheist.
Many Darby family members had given names of George Washington, Benjamin Franklin, and Thomas Jefferson, clearly indicating their dedication to American values forged in history and our U.S. Constitution. Larry Darby holds to the same American values of great individual freedom with personal responsibility and limited government as did the early Patriots.
 Lips Sealed
But he is making quite a name for himself in the world of atheism and humanism.  Roll Eyes

Knox

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 30, 2003, 05:18:07 PM »

As a Christian, I hope his chances are slim to none.... No, check that; I hope his chances are none to none.  Tongue

Actually, if he is the best qualified, I hope he wins. Doesn't seem too likely though. I really don't think a person's religious beliefs or lack thereof should carry all that much weight. A good man or woman of any persuasion will do the job to the best of their ability.
Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2003, 03:44:19 PM »

Hmm, well that is now more than three months ago.  

Just this last week(also alluded to under "Spin Doctors",under Prophecy forum, here):

Fed appeals for the "Wrath of God":

The 7a.m CBS radio news Friday morning mentioned, and I quote, that the Feds, are appealing to "the wrath of God" in apprehension of whoever  murdered an assistant Federal D.A. in the Pennsylvania fields Wednesday night.  The D.A. was apparently working on a plea bargain with defense attorneys of a pair of rapper thugs in jail on drug traffiking and other related charges.

The 8am report made no mention of the "wrath of God" quote.

So, it's okay for the Fed's to call down "the wrath of God" (which the media then subsequently edits out), when they need it, but when a state supreme court chief justice appeals to that same God's Ten Commandments (written "with the finger of God" Exodus 31:18, says), OH MY, HE'S JUST A RELIGOUS FANATIC.  OH MY, WE CAN'T HAVE THAT.  OH MY, WE CAN'T HAVE THE TEN COMMANDMENTS IN A PUBLIC BUILDING. OH MY, WE JUST CAN;T HAVE THAT.  OH THAT'S JUST TERRIBLE.  OH, WE CAN'T HAVE THAT.  SHAME ON THAT FUNDAMENTALIST PREAHCER SUPREME COURT JUSTICE.  SHAME ON HIM.  WHO DOES HE THINK HE IS??

But, strangely, it's okay for the same Fed themselves to "appeal" to "this wrath of God" when they need to.

No wonder the media edited it out, Friday morning, after the 7 o'clock new hour...

They all have to eat so much crow.

And then, when THEY get on THEIR death bed, they too will be screaming for God' mercy.

Oh, but not now.  We mustn't mention it now.  We mustn't say it now.  We mustn't permit it now.

Hehe.  We are absolutely two faced, insane people.  

We want it both ways.

We want the "wrath of God" when WE want it, but when we don't want it, we'll sue to get it erased.

We make ourselves God.

Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2004, 06:13:40 PM »

Hmm.  Well, that last post was two months ago.  

I missed this when it came out three weeks ago, Jan 20, on Martin Luther King day:

City Hall Ten Commandments monument surfaces in North Carolina
Tuesday, January 20, 2004 Posted: 8:55 AM EST (1355 GMT)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WINSTON-SALEM, North Carolina (AP) -- A granite monument to the Ten Commandments, placed in front of City Hall by a city council member, doesn't help unite people, the mayor said.

"Obviously, if you are going to do something like this, this is not the right way to do it," Mayor Allen Joines said Monday, hours after the monument was installed. "We are working hard to bring the city together. Actions like this tend to push people apart."

City Council member Vernon Robinson, who said he was inspired by Alabama's ousted chief justice, placed the 4-foot-tall granite block in front of City Hall on Monday while it was closed for the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday. He said he paid the $2,000 cost of buying and moving the monument himself.

The monument is inscribed on one side with the Ten Commandments and on the other with the Bill of Rights.

"He doesn't have the right to put it there," City Attorney Ron Seeber said. The..."

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/South/01/20/ten.commandments.ap/index.html
Psalm 119

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2004, 09:46:13 AM »

Make no mistake about it.....this is all about the public acknowledgment of God. The "Ten Commandments" was just the catalyst that has exposed the evil thoughts of man.

For further proof please read this article. It's becoming more crystal clear everyday.

http://covenantnews.com/baldwin031115.htm

Knox,

Would you rather align yourselves with atheists, or with men of God?

Psalm 119
Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2004, 06:25:58 PM »

Thanks, Psalm.  I'll take a look at that link...
Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2004, 10:01:11 AM »

Yep.

Now let me see I have this correct.

It's not okay for Judge Moore to disobey the higher court.

But it's okay for the City of San Francisco to disobey their higher law, in California (issuing marriage licenses to gay couples, "...I pronounce you spouse and spouse...").

So see, the homosexuals care nothing about any law.  They just want what they want, regardless.

Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2004, 02:56:49 PM »

Just heard Rush Limbaugh referring to this as "eerie"(tho he didn't refer to Judge Moore).
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the