Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 05:43:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286803 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Completed and Favorite Threads
| | |-+  Faith Walk
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 32 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Faith Walk  (Read 70143 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #375 on: August 21, 2006, 11:56:39 PM »

Author: Woodrow Kroll, Tony Beckett
Source: Faith Walk
Scripture Reference Psalm 107-109 1 Corinthians 4

Staying Focused

Psalms 107-109, 1 Corinthians 4
Key Verses: 1 Corinthians 4:1-2

My daughter came home from an overnight stay at a friend's house with a latch hook rug she had made. Her friend's mother had taught the girls how to do latch hook. The process involved attaching pieces of yarn to a plastic grid using a hook. Various colored pieces were placed so that the picture of a cartoon character was evident. Such talent!

Yes, it did take talent, but mostly the picture was the result of following the instructions and the pattern printed on the grid. The better the girls stayed focused on those two things, the better their rugs looked.

It's the same with life. The better we follow the instructions and the pattern God has given us, the better our lives will be.

Paul helps us stay focused by reminding us of who we are and what we are to do: we are servants who have been entrusted by God to accomplish His will. It's so easy to lose that focus. We typically have an "I" problem. When we look at things with our "I", what God wants is not so clearly seen. It is also hard for an "I" to be a servant. Yet that is exactly what we are-servants who are to be faithful stewards.

Remember that a steward is a manager, not an owner. God entrusts things into our care. What He, the owner, then requires of us, the manager, is that we be faithful. That is the pattern for our lives, the one that we must keep in focus.

Do you have an "I" problem? It really is easy to see how things get out of focus. Ask God to help you stay focused on His pattern, determining to serve as a faithful steward.

This devotional is freely distributed by Back To The Bible.
Did you enjoy this devotional?
Send it on for a friend to enjoy.
FREE E-mail Subscription:
http://www.backtothebible.org/devotions/

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #376 on: August 26, 2006, 10:32:53 AM »

Scripture Reference 1 Corinthians 5 Psalm 110-112

Reach for the Light

Psalms 110–112, 1 Corinthians 5
Key Verse: Psalm 112:4

Occasionally I will notice my youngest daughter playing with a flashlight—with my flashlight, to be precise. I’m not being possessive, but when I see her doing that I get concerned. “When you are done,” I say, “be sure to put it back where it belongs.”

You see, I have a set place for that flashlight. It’s a place where I can find it in the dark. If the power goes off, I want at least enough light to keep from stubbing my toe on my way to find matches and candles. I want to be able to reach my hand out and find the flashlight.

I find it interesting that God used the imagery of light in the dark as one of the blessings He has for us. “Even in darkness light dawns for the upright” (112:4). Obviously, the psalmist was not speaking of literal darkness but used it as a metaphor, a vivid one that brings to mind the dark times of life. In those dark times we need and want light. Like a dad reaching out for the flashlight, we can reach out and know with even greater certainty that the source of light will be there.

If this is a dark time for you, look to God for the light you need. Ask Him to help you find His light, which will lead you through that darkness.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: August 26, 2006, 10:34:01 AM »

Scripture Reference 1 Corinthians 6 Psalm 113-115

Two Tests

Psalms 113–115, 1 Corinthians 6
Key Verse: 1 Corinthians 6:12

We live in an “anything goes” world, and sometimes it seems as if everything has gone! Occasionally we need the Bible to jerk us back to reality, biblical reality. It is the same for the child of God as it was for you as a child of your parents. Remember how sometimes they told you no? Anything didn’t go, and it still doesn’t.

If God says clearly that something is wrong, then it is wrong. There’s no use asking because the answer is no.

Then there are all the other things, the ones the Bible neither says are wrong nor right. We usually call these “gray areas.” Paul gives us two important things to remember.

First, even if something may be allowed, ask yourself if it is beneficial for you. Some things can be like the weights mentioned in Hebrews 12:1, the things that hinder us in the Christian life. They are not wrong, but they don’t help.

Second, don’t let anything control you. Paul teaches us that we are to be controlled by the Spirit—nothing else. We can be controlled not only by addictive substances but by addictive activities. Habits, compulsions, foods and so much more can control a person. Paul says to us by his example and teaching that we must “not be mastered by anything” (v. 12).

This verse gives us two tests to use in deciding what we will do or not do. In any area that Scripture does not clearly address, ask yourself these questions: Is it beneficial? Will it control me?

Anything does go, but some things should go! Ask God to help you see if there are things in your life that are not beneficial to you or that are controlling you.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: August 26, 2006, 10:35:01 AM »

Scripture Reference Psalm 116-118 1 Corinthians 7:1-19

Sexual Purity

Psalms 116-118, 1 Corinthians 7:1-19
Key Verses: 1 Corinthians 7:2-3

In a world of extremes, Paul brings balance. He addresses in this chapter one of the significant subjects of life-sex. In a few verses he details for us what God intends in regard to this topic.

Abstinence is God's will for the unmarried. Paul, who was himself single, did not view singleness negatively, but he did view sexual immorality that way. Believers should not be in a hurry to marry according to verse 1.

In the marital relationship each partner is to meet the needs of the other. It is not a one-sided arrangement. The only limitation is this: sex is reserved for the married. God puts no limitations on a husband and wife. The only exception is when a couple mutually agrees to a limited time of celibacy for the purpose of devoting themselves to a concentrated time of prayer.

We need to realize that singleness is not wrong, nor is the single person "second class" in any respect. In regard to sex, however, the single person must live according to God's standard of abstinence. That is contrary to the ways of our society but it conforms to the will of God.

For the married, God has given clear instruction. Sex within marriage is good. Keep it there. That is His will.

The Word of God is clear regarding sexual purity. We need to be just as clear in our commitment to it. If you are single, ask God to help you maintain a life of abstinence. If you are married, ask God to make your relationship with your spouse one of fulfillment and blessing.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #379 on: August 26, 2006, 10:36:04 AM »

Scripture Reference 1 Corinthians 7:20-40 Psalm 119:1-88

The Blessing of the Blameless

Psalm 119:1–88, 1 Corinthians 7:20–40
Key Verse: Psalm 119:1

What is your view of the Bible? One answer that may come to mind is, “It’s the Word of God.” That’s a good beginning of an answer. “Only a good beginning?” you might ask. Yes, because there is so much more that should come to mind. Psalm 119 helps us see the Bible as the Word of God in a fuller way.

If you have not done it before, notice how many of the verses in this passage mention the Word of God. In almost every verse our attention is drawn specifically to some aspect of the Word. Go through the psalm and underline the words that refer to the Bible. Eight different Hebrew words are used. They are translated as “law,” “statutes,” “precepts,” “commands,” “commandments,” “decrees,” “word” and “promise.”

Notice, though, how the psalm begins. It speaks of the blessing of the blameless, those “who walk according to the law of the LORD.”

There is a blessing in knowing and doing what the Bible teaches. To have that blessing we must read the Word, learn the Word and live the Word. Only one out of eight people who read the Bible say it affects how they live. God didn’t give us His Word just to increase our knowledge but to affect our lives. The writer of this psalm understood that. He found the blessing that comes from reading and obeying.

This psalm calls us to obedience and faith. Ask God to help you have the same attitude about His Word that the psalmist did.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #380 on: August 26, 2006, 10:37:14 AM »

Scripture Reference 1 Corinthians 8 Psalm 119:89-176

Cook Out

Psalm 119:89–176, 1 Corinthians 8
Key Verse: 1 Corinthians 8:13

My family enjoys cooking out on the grill. We have been known to brush off the snow and fire it up on days that most people stay indoors. I’ll tramp out into the snow, tend to the meat and tramp back into the house. There is nothing like the smell and taste of a grilled dinner.

I think of a nicely cooked steak on my plate every time I read 1 Corinthians 8:13. Paul, who understood Christian liberty, wrote extensively on the subject and lived it in the context of the first-century church, said he would never eat meat again if it would cause another brother to fall into sin.

That is absolutely amazing to me. First, I’m amazed that he would give up eating meat! I think of what a sacrifice that would be and wonder whether or not I could do the same. Second, Paul knew he had rights, which he discussed in the next chapter, but he was willing to set them aside. We tend instead to insist on our rights. Third, it is simply amazing to see how concerned Paul was for the spiritual welfare of others. More important than a nicely grilled steak was the well-being of others. His focus was not on himself.

Are you concerned about others, enough to give up something that you enjoy, something that is not a sin? Paul is an amazing example of one who did not live for self but for others.

We can have an extended discussion of what is right, wrong or gray and in the process lose sight of what Paul was saying. He was concerned for others. Are you? Is there anything you absolutely would not give up if you knew it caused another to sin?

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #381 on: August 28, 2006, 06:50:02 AM »

Scripture Reference 1 Corinthians 9 Psalm 120-122

“I’d Love to Go!”

Psalms 120–122, 1 Corinthians 9
Key Verse: Psalm 122:1

Have you ever received an invitation that you didn’t want? Perhaps you had planned to play golf that afternoon but instead were sitting in a pew waiting for the wedding to begin. Have you ever not received an invitation that you wanted? Undoubtedly! Someone tells you he has an extra ticket to the big game, you have the day free, and you want to go badly. Then he heads off, saying, “I need to find someone to go with me.” You are in agony.

Then there is the time you get an invitation you want. It does happen, occasionally. Think about your reaction when that happens. “Sounds great! I’d love to go.”

Three scenarios: invited but didn’t want to go, wanted to go but not invited, wanted to go and invited. Three responses: dread going, disappointed not going, and ecstatic about going.

Which of those three responses would match yours if you received this invitation: “Let us go to the house of the Lord”? Since it is an invitation, one response is eliminated, that of disappointed not going. So, two answers are left, and only one of them is right.

Can you honestly say that you would be ecstatic? Or would your real response be closer to dread? This is pretty convicting, isn’t it? It makes us consider our attitude toward worship.

Psalm 122 is one of the pilgrimage psalms, sung as the people traveled to Jerusalem for one of the annual feasts. This one expresses deep joy at the thought of being called to travel to the house of the Lord. That invitation should always bring rejoicing.

Do you share the psalmist David’s heart for worship? Ask God to help you come to worship with rejoicing.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #382 on: August 28, 2006, 06:51:06 AM »

Title: The Eyes of Slaves
Book: Faith Walk

Psalms 123–125, 1 Corinthians 10:1–18
Key Verse: Psalm 123:2

There probably has been a time when you could not get the attention of your waiter or waitress at a restaurant. Maybe you needed another napkin or wanted a refill of your coffee or just wanted the check. You probably began with a slight wave of the hand, not wanting to be too distracting to others. Then your hand started moving a little higher in hopes of catching the eye. Finally, you wave like you’re waving to a friend on the other side of the stadium!

Some members of the wait staff seem to catch the slightest signal. A glance into your coffee cup and they are there anticipating that you are about to ask for a refill. Your child spills his drink and before you signal the need for an additional napkin, they arrive at your table with an ample supply. They are more observant than an auctioneer who can catch a bid off the raising of an eyebrow.

Today’s key verse reminds me of these waiters: “As the eyes of slaves look to the hand of their master . . . .” They watch, wanting to serve well, trying to please, anticipating what they should do next.

However, this verse isn’t about others, but about us: “. . . so our eyes look to the LORD our God.” It isn’t about what we should expect when we go out to eat but how we should live as the servants of God. The slightest indication of what He desires should be sufficient to catch our attention.

Does God have to “wave big” to catch your attention, or are you attentive to His signals? Pray that today you will be more aware of what He wills so you can serve Him better.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #383 on: August 31, 2006, 09:09:31 AM »

Scripture Reference 1 Corinthians 10:19-33 Psalm 126-128

For the Good of Others

Psalms 126–128, 1 Corinthians 10:19–33
Key Verse: 1 Corinthians 10:24

Sometimes we get so focused on what we want that we lose sight of what God wants. He not only wants us to consider whether or not something is beneficial for us but also whether it is good for others.

The emphasis on self can distort our view of others. When self occupies our vision it becomes difficult to set aside what we want, or what we think is acceptable. Yet Paul repeatedly reminds us that we do not live for ourselves only. We are part of the community of believers and must consider how our actions affect others.

“Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others” (v. 24). Paul is not talking about good things we can do for others but how we must consider the effect our actions will have on others. It is not just a matter of saying, “This is right for me.” It is even more than deciding something is edifying. This verse commands an added dimension to our decision making—how will what I do affect others, and will it be for their good?

“God, help me think about how what I do affects others. Give me a heart that desires to do what will be good for them, not just what pleases myself.”

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #384 on: August 31, 2006, 09:10:43 AM »

Scripture Reference 1 Corinthians 11:1-16 Psalm 129-131

Weaned or Fussy?

Psalms 129–131, 1 Corinthians 11:1–16
Key Verse: Psalm 131:2

I sometimes humorously talk about things that sound true but are not. My list of “accepted lies” includes “one size fits all.” Another one that parents of newborns especially understand is “sleeps like a baby.” In reality, that means waking every couple of hours and demanding to be fed. Babies can be fussy and demanding at anytime, day or night.

Among the challenges of parenting are teething and weaning. It is a blessing when the child no longer has sore gums and is no longer so demanding in his or her attachment to the mother when hungry. It is a blessing when babies truly sleep like a baby!

Christians are to be like a weaned baby, still and quiet. Our souls are to have a calmness that is like a sleeping baby’s. So often, though, we are like the unweaned child, demanding immediate relief for our discomfort. We fuss while waiting for God to be the immediate provider of the warm milk that will allow us to go back to undisturbed sleep.

Even my teenagers at times wonder if they are going to be fed, especially when we are traveling. I sometimes say to them, “We haven’t let you starve yet!” in hopes that they will quiet down. “Relax. Trust me to feed you” is what I’m really telling them.

God wants us to trust Him, to be still and quiet our souls. We need to be like a weaned child, resting confidently that He will take care of us.

Look over your prayer list. Do the personal requests sound like a weaned child or a fussy baby? Be still and quiet your soul. Sleep like a baby, not like a fussy newborn.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #385 on: August 31, 2006, 09:11:53 AM »

Scripture Reference Psalm 132-134 1 Corinthians 11:17-34

Self-Examination

Psalms 132-134; 1 Corinthians 11:17-34
Key Verse: 1 Corinthians 11:28

Socrates once said, "The unexamined life is not worth living." By that he meant that we must not take things for granted but investigate everything to see if it has a ring of truth.

The apostle Paul said much the same to the Corinthians believers. Apparently the Corinthian Christians were abusing the sanctity of the Lord’s table. They were gorging themselves at the communal meal; some were even getting drunk. Then, still wallowing in their unrepentant sin, these believers were partaking of the Lord's Supper. Paul warned, "A man ought to examine himself before he eats of the bread and drinks of the cup" (1 Cor. 11:28).

Self-examination is good for all of us. We need to keep short accounts with God. Daily we should ask, "Is what I’m doing today pleasing to God?" We should even ask, "Does what I do give evidence of my salvation?" Paul wrote, "Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith; test yourselves" (2 Cor. 13:5). When we keep short accounts with God it prevents that ugly sin build-up that stains so many Christian lives.

Take a close look-at yourself. Would you be comfortable knowing the Lord Jesus is examining your life closely? He is, you know. We all should do the same.

"Father, I want You to examine my life, but first let me take a hard look and clear away any clutter I find there. Give me the courage to daily check my life for the ring of truth—Your truth."

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #386 on: September 05, 2006, 04:48:35 AM »

Scripture Reference Psalm 135-136 1 Corinthians 12

God’s Choices Are Right Choices

Psalms 135–136, 1 Corinthians 12
Key Verse: 1 Corinthians 12:18

Have you ever wanted to be someone else? Have you wanted to handle a basketball like Michael Jordan or hit a baseball like Mark McGuire? Do you feel like you got the short end of the stick when it comes to gifts and talents? If so, cheer up. God has good news for you.

The Corinthian congregation was made up of very diverse people. In addition, God gave each of these Christians special gifts—spiritual gifts. These gifts were to be used to help others in the church develop to full maturity in Christ. Instead, the Corinthians argued over whose spiritual gift was the greatest. God gave each member exactly He wanted them to have, but they failed to use that gift while they dreamed about being someone else.

Sometimes that happens in the church today. We forget that what God gives us to do is the most important task we can do. If we do someone else’s job in church and neglect our own, we fail twice.

Has God gifted you in a certain way? The only way you can be happy is to allow God to get out of you what He has put in you. He has tailor-made a gift for you. It’s His choice for you, and God’s choices are always right choices. Don’t fail twice by salivating after someone else’s gift; savor your own.

“Help me, Father, to recognize that You have given me gifts to use for others. Don’t let me be jealous of others. Instead, let me be zealous in serving You with my gift.”

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #387 on: September 05, 2006, 04:49:53 AM »

Scripture Reference 1 Corinthians 13 Psalm 137-139

Not on Our List

Psalms 137–139, 1 Corinthians 13
Key Verse: 1 Corinthians 13:6

Try this with a group. Ask everyone to finish this sentence: “Love is _____________.” Some of the phrases from 1 Corinthians 13 will be suggested, but one undoubtedly will not. It is this: “Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth” (v. 6). Why is that a characteristic of love?

What we delight in we will share with those we love. A person who enjoys fine dining will want to take others to his favorite restaurants. The sports fan will tell others about his love of the game. A collector may try to get her friends involved in her hobby. We want our interests to be their interests.

If we delight in evil, the same will be true. We will want those around us to be involved in the same things, in the same way. This is a sad but unmentioned truth.

Our desire should be to help others become more like Christ. Paul even said that a husband should love his wife as Christ loved the church, giving Himself for her “to make her holy” (Eph. 5:25–26).

Do you see how delighting in evil works against that? If we delight in evil, then we are bringing into others’ lives that which pulls them away from Christ. Love does not do that. It desires that others would “rejoice with the truth.”

Are there things in your life that are wrong? Don’t think about only yourself, but also about how you influence others with what you delight in. Determine to get the wrong out and the right in.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #388 on: September 05, 2006, 04:51:08 AM »

Scripture Reference 1 Corinthians 14:1-20 Psalm 140-142

The Gatekeeper

Psalms 140–142, 1 Corinthians 14:1–20
Key Verse: Psalm 141:3

We probably get into trouble quicker by what we say than any other means. A moment of speaking before thinking can result in damage that seems beyond repair. I sometimes say that I have two goals: one is not to begin a sentence with the words, “Don’t quote me on this,” and the other is not to end a sentence with the words, “Just kidding.”

The books of Proverbs and James have plenty to say about what we say. Both give us warnings that should help us pause before we speak. We also can learn from those books how to speak.

Still, we come back to the problem of execution—doing what we know we are supposed to do. Too often we find ourselves “hung by the tongue.”

David gives us an example to follow. It is not a “count to ten” or some other technique to practice. It is what you would expect from a godly person. His approach was to pray. Notice that it was not a prayer of the moment, as in, “Help me not to say this!” but a prayer for a consistent quality of speech. He prayed, “Set a guard over my mouth, O LORD; keep watch over the door of my lips” (141:3).

We need a gatekeeper, one who watches over our mouth. If we make that our prayer, God will help us so that what goes out of our mouth is only that which the sentry allows to pass.

Pray the prayer of David, “Set a guard over my mouth, O LORD; keep watch over the door of my lips.”

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #389 on: September 05, 2006, 04:52:21 AM »

Scripture Reference 1 Corinthians 14:21-40 Psalm 143-145

Thirsty and Teachable

Psalms 143–145, 1 Corinthians 14:21–40
Key Verse: Psalm 143:10

As mentioned yesterday, sometimes the problem isn’t with knowing what to do but with doing it. In Psalm 143 David prays not only to know God’s will but to do it. “Show me the way I should go,” he prays (v. 8), and then asks, “Teach me to do your will (v. 10).” Far too often our problem is with failing to do God’s will.

Earlier in the psalm David describes his soul as longing for God like a parched land. As dry ground thirsts for moisture, David’s soul thirsts for God. There is a connection with what he says in verse 6 about his thirst and his prayer to be teachable in verse 10. The thirsty soul will be teachable.

We need to keep our souls thirsty. That is done by keeping a proper attitude. When we feel satisfied spiritually, we will not be thirsty. It is tempting to stay spiritually anemic if we are satisfied with our spiritual condition. But the proper attitude is one that longs for more of God. Then when our souls are thirsty, we will be teachable.

If we are spiritually satisfied, no more is wanted—we are neither thirsty nor teachable. Stay thirsty!

Examine your heart, asking, “Do I thirst for God?” If not, ask God to make you a thirsty and teachable Christian.

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 32 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the