Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 02:39:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286804 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Completed and Favorite Threads
| | |-+  Faith Walk
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 32 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Faith Walk  (Read 70145 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« on: July 03, 2005, 10:39:13 PM »

Author: Woodrow Kroll, Tony Beckett
Source: Faith Walk
Scripture Reference Acts 11 Job 22

Called on the Carpet

Job 22–24, Acts 11
Key Verse: Acts 11:17

Reaching across the barriers of prejudice will probably be noticed—and questioned. Staying with the familiar is comfortable; changing is not. If the barriers are long-standing ones, then change is that much harder and that much more resisted.

Peter stepped across the line, in the minds of some, when he went into the home of a Gentile, Cornelius. “The circumcised believers criticized him” (v. 2), and Peter was called on the carpet to explain his actions.

He explained everything to them, vision and all, along with his own reluctance. Then he said, “The Spirit told me to have no hesitation about going with them” (v. 12). He told his critics that the Holy Spirit came on those Gentiles just as He had come on them. Peter concluded by saying, “So if God gave them the same gift as he gave us, who believed in the Lord Jesus Christ, who was I to think that I could oppose God?” (v. 17).

That ended the discussion. Instead of continuing to criticize him, they praised God that even the Gentiles were being given repentance unto life. They realized that the Gospel is for all, not just some.

We need to remember that all people need Jesus, no matter what their race, social standing, morals or anything else. And Jesus can make us one.

“God, help me examine my heart and show me if there are any others toward whom I harbor wrong feelings. May I see all as needing Jesus and see all who know Jesus as my brothers and sisters in Christ.”

This devotional is freely distributed by Back To The Bible.

Did you enjoy this devotional?  Send it on for a friend to enjoy.
To receive this e-mail regularly, just go to this page:
http://www.backtothebible.org/aboutus/email_entry.htm
« Last Edit: May 30, 2006, 07:19:37 AM by blackeyedpeas » Logged

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2005, 02:26:55 PM »

Scripture Reference Acts 12 Job 25

Continued Faith

Job 25–27, Acts 12
Key Verses: Job 27:2–4

Three of the easiest words to utter are, “I give up.” Often they are said when expectations are not met; you expected something, didn’t get it, tried, but finally gave up. That happens with things like service at a restaurant, or information on a software problem, or with trying to get something repaired. But it should never be said in regard to God.

If ever someone had reason to say regarding God, “I give up,” it would have been Job. But he did not. Instead he said, “As surely as God lives . . .” (27:2). Though difficult to utter, those words are among the most important ones a person can ever say. They comprise the most solemn oath a person can make, and in Job’s case demonstrated his continued faith despite his circumstances.

Job could have given up. He even mentioned the bitterness that he had tasted, the justice he had been denied—both from God. Still, though, he began his statements with an oath that called upon God. Even in the hardest of circumstances, Job’s faith in God continued.

Faith is easier when things are going well. We more readily acknowledge God in our words when we can see His blessing on us. But faith is not for just the good times; it’s for all times.

Is your faith staying strong all the time, or does it ebb and flow like the tide, depending on how good things seem to be going? God is good, all the time. And our faith in Him is to be strong, all the time.

Did you enjoy this devotional?  Send it on for a friend to enjoy.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2005, 03:45:09 PM »

Scripture Reference Acts 13:1-25 Job 28

Wisdom’s Beginning

Job 28–29, Acts 13:1–25
Key Verse: Job 29:28

I heard about a road in Africa that had a very difficult curve in it. What made the curve so challenging was the fact that you really didn’t see how hard it was until you were right on it. A series of warning signs were posted but ignored. It just didn’t look like that big of a deal until it was too late. Even the last of the warning signs did not slow some drivers, even though it said, “You’ve been warned!”

A similar statement is found several times in the Bible that links the “fear of the Lord” with wisdom. In essence it says, “You’ve been told!”

The wisdom the Bible talks about is not the same as a high SAT score or straight “A’s” in school. It is skill in living. The person who can take the instruction found in God’s Word and apply it to his life is a wise person.

Wisdom is then linked with fear of the Lord. This kind of fear does not result in living in terror of God but having a reverence for Him. When we truly revere Him we submit to Him and obey His commands. We should fear being irreverent or disobedient, but not in a way that sends us cowering in the corners, hiding from God. Biblical fear is responding obediently to God, choosing to do what He wants.

“God, help me to recognize my need to properly fear You. May I then see that my life, when it is one of obedience, is one of wisdom.”

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2005, 12:43:11 PM »

Scripture Reference Acts 14 Job 32

The Model Mission Statement

Job 32–33, Acts 14
Key Verses: Acts 14:21–23

A recent business trend has been that of writing a mission statement—a concise paragraph stating in a memorable way the purpose of a business or organization. Added to it might be some objectives and an explanation of how those objectives will be accomplished. Churches also use written mission statements as a way of focusing their efforts. The difference is that a church should draw all these things from the Bible.

Acts 14:21–23 could provide the framework for a church’s mission statement. Luke’s report on the ministry of Paul and Barnabas highlights three crucial aspects of their work. They were:

1. Evangelizing. “They . . . won a large number of disciples” (v. 21).
2. Edifying. “. . . strengthening the disciples and encouraging them to remain true to the faith” (v. 22).
3. Establishing. “Paul and Barnabas appointed elders for them in each church and, with prayer and fasting, committed them to the Lord” (v. 23).

What they did then, we must do now. These three objectives must be central to every church’s mission. We need to be reaching people for Jesus, discipling them and helping the local church develop. There are other things to consider, but without a doubt these are core commitments for the church.

If your church is writing a mission statement, or already has one, are these three items incorporated in it? And are you involved in seeing these objectives accomplished?

Evaluate what you are doing. If you and your church are not seeking to accomplish these objectives, commit today to making the changes needed so that you are on God’s mission.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2005, 03:20:09 PM »

Scripture Reference Acts 18 Psalms 7

Long-Time Friends, Short-Time Acquaintances

Psalms 7–9, Acts 18
Key Verse: Psalm 9:10

To the casual observer, the wedding party looked typical. The bride wore white; her groom stood tall next to her. The bridal party had the usual complement of bridesmaids, groomsmen, a matron of honor, best man, flower girl and ring bearer. But there was an interesting difference—nearly everyone in the group was a close relative.

Over the years the bride and groom had observed that people eventually lose track of their “close” friends from college days, but one always have his family. So they chose to make their wedding a family affair. Friends may come and go, they reasoned, but family stays.

As you think of former friends, perhaps ones that left you feeling deserted, consider this praise David gave to God: “You, LORD, have never forsaken those who seek you” (9:10). Knowing that God would be his forever friend, David also wrote, “Those who know your name will trust in you.” In God’s faithfulness we find comfort, and since He never forsakes us, we can trust in Him.

David wrote those words in a time of difficulty. He recognized that the Lord is a refuge, a stronghold in times of trouble, and in those times his trust was in God. Is yours?

Is there some difficulty in your life? Do you feel alone? Remember, God will never forsake you. Ask Him to help you experience the peace that comes when you truly trust in Him.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2005, 03:20:50 AM »

Scripture Reference Acts 22 Psalms 26

Blessing of a Blameless Life

Psalms 26–28, Acts 22
Key Verses: Psalms 26:2–3

A candidate stepped out of the race and another stepped in to take his place. What was called a battle of titans now took on a different flavor. A relatively unknown candidate was now on the ballot against the well-known one. Unfair? Not really, the political analysts speculated. In fact, it became a much more difficult campaign for the well-known person. You see, there was plenty of mud to sling about the previous opponent, but nothing bad was known about the newcomer. Oh, the value of a blameless life when in a race for office!

Of far greater value is the blessing of a life that is considered blameless by God. David knew that blessing when he wrote this psalm. He even invited examination by the deity Himself. His actions, he was confident, would withstand the scrutiny.

The list in Psalm 26:4–8 is not exhaustive but is representative of the actions found—or not found—in the blameless life. They are good to review, reflect upon, remember and emulate. We should desire to be blameless in the sight of God and man. Lists like this help us evaluate ourselves.

Of course, David was not without sin. But the intent of his heart was to do the will of God, whom he trusted without wavering.

We do sin, but our lives must be focused on living to please God. Make no excuses. Repent. Change. Seek to live a blameless life.

If you were running for office, what mud would your opponent find to sling at you? When you answer that question, you will have a list of the areas in which you are not blameless. Determine to remove all such things from your life.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2005, 04:11:43 PM »

Scripture Reference Acts 23:1-15 Psalms 29

A Clear Conscience

Psalm 29–30, Acts 23:1–15
Key Verse: Acts 23:1

Similar to the proverbial “satisfaction of a job well done” is the experience of being able “to look them straight in the eye.” There is something about unblinking eye contact that communicates both truthfulness and determination. When we know we are right, we will stand up straight, look the other person in the eye and say, “I know I am right.” To do that in regard to our job or payments made or obligations kept is important, but all of these pale in comparison to being able to say, “I have fulfilled my duty to God.”

Paul did all of the above. He looked his accusers, the Sanhedrin, in the eye and said, with truthfulness and determination, “I have fulfilled my duty to God in all good conscience to this day” (v. 1). He knew he had done right, and not even the authority of this group would make him back down.

Often we look at this verse and think in terms of the confrontation between Paul and his accusers but overlook the insight it gives into Paul’s character. He knew he had done what God wanted—and could look anyone straight in the eye and say so. His conscience was clear before God and man. It was the testimony of what truly was “a life well lived.” Knowing and doing the will of God is the great aspiration of a Christian’s life, but far too often we just fit it in around what we want to do instead. If you were put on the defensive like Paul, what statement could you make? Do you live in such a way that you could say, “I have fulfilled my duty to God”?

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2005, 10:11:51 PM »

Scripture Reference Acts 27:27-44 Psalms 43

When God Sleeps

Psalms 43–45, Acts 27:27–44
Key Verses: Psalm 44:23–24

Nothing is quite as unsettling as the phone ringing in the middle of the night. You pick up the receiver, hoping it is a wrong number, irritated if it is, angered if it’s a prank, but anxious as its sound jars you from your sleep. Remember the times you have been on the other end of those calls, when you were the one dialing a family member or friend because you needed them right then? Perhaps you even whispered, “Wake up, please wake up,” as the phone was ringing. “Wake up. I need you.”

There was a time when Israel felt as if God were asleep and they needed Him. The cry of the people was, “Awake, O Lord! Why do you sleep? Rouse yourself! Do not reject us forever” (44:23). It was a difficult time for them, not one that made sense in any respect, and it seemed that God was sleeping.

Now, God does not sleep. The Bible tells us that (Ps. 121:4). Still, there are times when it feels like He does, times when we want to rouse Him, like the ringing phone does us.

It’s easy to read the Psalms and focus on the praises, skipping over the pains. In the Psalms we find the full range of human emotion, the highs and the lows. This psalm is written from the depths. The people felt rejected, disgraced—for no apparent reason. It felt like God had gone asleep.

Yet their hope did not waver. They continued to cry out to Him, the One who would redeem because of His unfailing love.

In the dark times we may lack light to see our way clearly. The eyes of faith, though, will always be fixed on God. Pray that He will help you see Him clearly. Trust in His unfailing love even in the most difficult of times.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2005, 01:49:27 PM »

Scripture Reference Acts 28 Psalms 46

Hitting the Pause Button

Psalms 46–48, Acts 28
Key Verse: Psalm 46:10

“Fast” and “faster” describe life today. Fast food picked up at the drive-through window. Computer processors and increased bandwidth for Internet access so information can flow even faster. Even our suitcases have wheels. Our lives are stuck on fast forward.

God says, “Be still.”

“Is He kidding? Me, be still? Not with my schedule!”

We are on a mad dash, moving too quickly for our own good, particularly our own spiritual good. We want Him to be for us “our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble” (46:1), like one of those flat tire repair kits where you can plug the leak and inflate the tire with an aerosol spray can. No jack, no lug wrench, no wrestling a tire off, just a fast fix. If only God were like that—convenient, accessible, requiring no dirtying of the hands, quickly fixing the flats so we can keep on speeding down the road.

“Be still,” He says, and for good reason—“and know that I am God” (v. 10).

You may recognize your neighbor because you see his face as you drive by, but you will not really know him until you stop, get out of the car and spend time with him. Relationships are not built by a wave but a handshake, not by running past but by stopping to talk. What is true about getting to know our neighbor is true about getting to know God.

Do you take time to be still? Daily Bible reading, devotions and individual and corporate worship all require time, and flourish as we are still. Be still. Get to know God better.

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2005, 03:45:37 PM »

AMEN Tom!

That is one of the best, I have read yet! You could say, I go slow and slower. As a song goes, "You have to stop, and smell the roses." Instead of sppeding along, slow down pay attention to the Bible.  I guess being disabled helps me on that score.

Resting in the Lords arms.
Bob

Matthew 6:14 For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2005, 10:17:41 PM »

Scripture Reference Romans 1 Psalms 49

A Healthy Self-Image

Psalms 49–50, Romans 1
Key Verse: Romans 1:1

These days, people never tire debating the importance of our self-image. We are told to understand what formed our self-image, to consider how as parents we shape a child’s self-image, to help others with their self-image, to be concerned whether or not we have a healthy self-image . . . and the list goes on.

How do you view yourself? Now compare your self-image to how Paul viewed himself. He viewed himself as a servant—literally, a slave. He belonged without reservation to Jesus. He viewed himself as an apostle, one who had been sent. His life’s work was to do what God sent him to accomplish as one appointed by God. He viewed himself as set apart specifically for the ministry of the Gospel, the good news of salvation in Jesus.

How he viewed himself affected what he did. Viewing himself as a servant affected his attitude toward God and others. What he did and why he did it was affected by understanding himself as one sent. Being set apart affected his aspirations, what he hoped to accomplish.

So with all this talk of self-image, we need to view ourselves like Paul, who saw himself from God’s perspective. God formed his self-image. Accepting what God wanted in his life enabled Paul to truly be what God wanted him to be.

Do you see yourself as a servant, sent and set apart? The temptation is to be in control of your own life when instead you need to recognize that Jesus is Lord. Ask God to help you be what He wants you to be.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2005, 06:31:44 AM »

Scripture Reference Romans 5 Psalms 60

The Hope of Spring

Psalms 60–62, Romans 5
Key Verses: Romans 5:1–2

Ray Stedman tells of a friend who lived in the Midwest. He lived in the country, and one stormy morning, in the dead of winter, he looked out his window and saw the mailman drive up and leave something in his mailbox. Wanting to see what it was, he dressed warmly and went out into the bitter cold. With the snow swirling about him, he walked about a quarter of a mile down the lane to where the mailbox was located. He opened the mailbox, and to his disappointment saw that all that was there was a seed catalog. But he opened it and began to thumb through it.

There is nothing like a seed catalog to capture the beauty and brilliance of flowers and vegetables. As he stood there in the snow, suddenly he felt as though spring had come. He could taste the crunch of a cucumber and smell the fragrance of those red roses and feel the juice of a red-ripe tomato running down his chin. It seemed as though winter faded for the moment and he was caught up in the beauty of spring and summer. Hope stirred within him!

The hope for the Christian goes far beyond a summer garden to eternity. The joy within our heart far surpasses that of a man looking at a seed catalog, because “we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God” (v. 2).

“God, help me look beyond today and look forward to eternity. I may struggle now but have hope. Help me find the rejoicing that comes from the hope I have in You.”

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2005, 09:30:29 AM »

Faith Walk Devotional

Title: Freed from Sin
Romans 6 Psalms 63

Freed from Sin

Psalms 63–65, Romans 6
Key Verses: Romans 6:22–23

A remarkable fact about Romans 6:23 is often missed—this verse was written to believers. We often use it to tell others about God’s gift of salvation, but Paul wrote it to the church. Too often the meaning of the text is missed because we think only in terms of how it applies to others. In this chapter, Paul is telling us how to say no to sin. One reason is found in these verses. We have been set free and are no longer a slave to sin.

In the past, the master we served was sin. Paul makes it clear that we were slaves to sin but have been set free by Christ. Our master now is God.

The penalty for sin, the former service, is death. Now, the believer’s outlook is to life. Before it was a “wage” that was earned. We were destined to receive what we deserved. Now it is a gift received, undeserved but freely given. Sin pays us what we earn, which is death, but God gives us what we need, which is life.

Paul wrote these words to the Christian as an encouragement not to sin. The chapter begins with a stirring call for us not to continue sinning.

Why keep living like a slave to sin? There is no good reason to. Instead, we should live like people who have received the greatest gift ever given, the gift of eternal life.

“God, help me to turn away from sin and turn to holiness. Help me see sin as You see it and understand that in Christ I am free from the penalty and power of sin.”

ZakDar

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2005, 01:35:27 PM »

Excellent! But I like Romans 8 even better. Check out this:

Rom 8:1  There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
Rom 8:2  For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.

Man, I'll tell ya. Every time the devil wants to poke his nose around me, I just tell he better get or I'll read the 8th chapter of Romans to him. I mean, this chapter has GOT to cause him some serious pain. Good! Then I'll read it to him often!!!!!

Glory be to God!

The LORD bless thee, and keep thee:
The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee:
The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2005, 06:17:03 PM »

Amen ZakDar,

Romans 8 has always been one of my favorites.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Isaiah 26:3 ASV  Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee; because he trusteth in thee.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 32 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the