Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 09:51:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286806 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Completed and Favorite Threads
| | |-+  Faith Walk
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 32 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Faith Walk  (Read 70160 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #360 on: August 06, 2006, 10:41:08 PM »

Author: Woodrow Kroll, Tony Beckett
Source: Faith Walk
Scripture Reference Romans 8:22-39 Psalm 70-71

Secure in Nothing

Psalms 70–71, Romans 8:22–39
Key Verse: Romans 8:31

The newspaper reminds us of the uncertainty of life. Things happen that are unexpected, tides turn, fortunes shift, lives end. One of the basic needs of humans is a sense of security, yet the events of the day remind us of the insecurity that comes from the uncertainties of life. We just don’t know what’s next.

That’s why we turn to the Bible. In it we find reasons to feel secure. We are secure knowing that:

• His purpose will not be frustrated. Since God is for us, none can be against us (v. 31).
• His generosity will not be quenched. Since He has not spared His Son, God will withhold nothing in taking care of us (v. 32).
• His forgiveness will not be canceled. No prosecution can succeed, since God our judge has already justified us (vv. 33–34).
• His love will not be severed. God has revealed it in Christ, and nothing, even the ten powerful items listed here, will separate us from Christ’s love (vv. 35–36).

While most people look for security in something, the Christian finds it in nothing. Nothing can frustrate God’s purpose. Nothing can quench His generosity. Nothing can cancel His forgiveness. Nothing can sever His love from us.

Nothing can change the fact that, as Ruth Harms Calkin put it, “None of these nor all of them heaped together can budge the fact that I am dearly loved, completely forgiven and forever free through Jesus Christ.”

God holds us in the palm of His steady hand. We are secure—secure in these “nothings.”

Read again each of the verses listed, noting how each teaches us these truths. Then read aloud these words: “Nothing can frustrate God’s purpose, quench His generosity, cancel His forgiveness and sever His love from us.” Now smile! What joy is found in “nothing.”

This devotional is freely distributed by Back To The Bible.
Did you enjoy this devotional?
Send it on for a friend to enjoy.
FREE E-mail Subscription:
http://www.backtothebible.org/devotions/

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #361 on: August 07, 2006, 08:12:15 PM »

Scripture Reference Psalm 72-73 Romans 9:1-15

Eyes Right

Psalms 72–73, Romans 9:1–15
Key Verses: Psalm 73:2–3

When the parking lot of our church was slippery due to snow, ice or a combination thereof, often at the end of the service I would remind people of Paul’s admonition in 1 Corinthians 10:12: “Let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall” (KJV). A little overconfidence is a dangerous thing when walking on ice. Another reason we slip is because we get distracted. A friend says, “Hi,” we take our eyes off the pavement, begin to wave back and, well, you get the picture. Worse yet, the pain from our fall seems greater when someone else has witnessed our unceremoniously landing.

Literally, not watching how we walk can result in a physical fall. Figuratively, the same is true. If we do not keep our “eyes right,” we can slip spiritually. Carelessness and a momentary distraction, either one or both together, can result in a fall.

Asaph, the writer of Psalm 73, reminds us of that truth in words of testimony. “My feet had almost slipped . . . . For I envied the arrogant when I saw the prosperity of the wicked.”

Life does not give us a smooth track for walking. Our struggles can be compounded as our eyes wander and we get distracted by the apparent ease and prosperity of the ungodly. Then we slip. We can keep from slipping by focusing our attention on Jesus and how He wants us to live. We look not for the ease of this world but the reward of the world to come.

Godliness with contentment is great gain, according to Paul (1 Tim. 6:6). He also said, “I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances” (Phil. 4:11). Ask God to help you be contented, not envious.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #362 on: August 10, 2006, 01:11:17 AM »

Scripture Reference Romans 9:16-33 Psalm 74-76

Bootstraps Can't Help

Psalms 74-76, Romans 9:16-33
Key Verses: Romans 9:30-32

We sometimes describe a person who has accomplished much on his own as one who has pulled himself up by his bootstraps. Though today it might be hard to visualize what a bootstrap is, we nevertheless understand what this phrase means. It speaks of working hard, doing yourself what is needed rather than asking or expecting someone else to do it for you. It is being self-reliant, independent, self-sufficient.

Bootstraps remain a powerful aspect of our mind-set and philosophy. Unfortunately, this belief spills over into the way people understand God and their relationship to Him. Many think that the way to heaven is to live a life sufficiently meritorious so that their good deeds outweigh their bad and on that basis they earn or achieve eternal life.

Romans 9 destroys any hope that salvation is something a person can earn or deserves. The first part of the chapter emphasizes God's work in our salvation. It is only by God's mercy that any of us are saved. Then the focus turns from God's sovereignty to man's responsibility.

To the surprise of the Jews, Paul wrote of the salvation of the Gentiles, obtained by faith. Also to their surprise, he spoke of the Jews' failure of not obtaining righteousness. They could not gain by works what others received by faith. The difference between those who obtain salvation and those who do not is the difference between faith and effort.

The bottom line is Jesus. Faith in Him, not our effort, saves.

Are you a bootstrap kind of Christian, hoping what you have done will be enough to get you into heaven? You can't get to heaven by your works, only by faith in Jesus. Today, give up the bootstraps and accept the Savior's work on your behalf.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #363 on: August 10, 2006, 01:12:27 AM »

Scripture Reference Psalm 77-78 Romans 10

Call on His Name

Psalms 77:78, Romans 10
Key Verse: Romans 10:13

If anyone could have achieved salvation by his own efforts, it was Martin Luther. In 1505, when he was 21, he abandoned his career in law and entered the monastery, but not to study theology. His motive was to save his soul.

He gave himself rigorously to the prescribed ways to find God. He fasted, prayed, devoted himself to menial work and practiced penance. In his quest for salvation, he confessed his sins, even the most trivial ones, for hours on end until his superiors, wearied of his exercise, ordered him to stop until he committed some sin worth confessing! He was the most exemplary of monks, yet had no peace.

Luther tried to satisfy God's demand for righteousness through good works. But what works? he thought. What works can come from a heart like mine? How can I stand before the holiness of my Judge with works polluted in their very source?

It was not until John Staupitz set him to studying the Bible that Luther realized what the difficulty was. He was trying to earn salvation by works, when the righteousness needed was not human but divine. He then understood that "everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved" (v. 13).

Luther learned to stop working for righteous. Salvation is a gift received by faith, given by God to everyone who calls on His name.

Perhaps Luther's example will help you see if you are like him, trying 'to do' your way into heaven. It can't be done that way. It can be done only by calling on the name of the Lord.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #364 on: August 11, 2006, 05:10:08 PM »

Scripture Reference Romans 11:1-18 Psalm 79-80

Hard of Hearing

Psalms 79–80, Romans 11:1–18
Key Verses: Romans 11:7–8

Ever hear of “selective hearing loss”? I don’t know if the condition is medically valid, but at times I have seen it. Here is what it looks like: a person hears some things but not others. What he hears is not due to volume or clarity but want. He hears what he wants to hear and tunes out the rest—selective hearing loss.

Now, have you ever heard of “spiritual hearing loss”? Again, it’s not a diagnosis found in medical texts, but it is in the Bible. And while we may smile at “selective hearing loss,” there is nothing humorous about “spiritual hearing loss.” Here is what it looks like: if anyone hears the truth and does not respond to it, the time may come when he will be incapable of responding.

Jesus spoke of it when He said, “‘They hardly hear with their ears, and they have closed their eyes’” (Matt. 13:15). Paul wrote of it here in Romans 11:7–8. What he says about hardening should be sobering to all, for the principle is universal. Those who reject God’s grace, trying instead to work their way into heaven, thinking they can make themselves righteous, may one day be incapable of responding to the free gift of salvation. Faith in Christ is sufficient; man’s substitutes for faith are insufficient.

It is good that you are reading the Bible daily. But remember that what makes a person a Christian is not his good deeds but faith in Christ. Keep reading, but be sure you have accepted Christ. “Spiritual hearing loss” is a sobering truth. If you have not done so yet, respond today to God’s grace.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #365 on: August 11, 2006, 05:11:20 PM »

Scripture Reference Romans 11:19-36 Psalm 81-83

From Theology to Doxology

Psalms 81–83, Romans 11:19–36
Key Verses: Romans 11:33–36

The first verse of Romans 12 says, “Therefore.” What Paul says next flows out of the first 11 chapters. You cannot rightly understand and practice Romans 12:1 if you do not consider Romans 1–11. The first chapters teach us about God; the concluding ones about serving Him. When we look not just for chapter divisions but flow of thought, we find that the bridge between the doctrinal and practical parts of the book is a doxology.

The opening chapters of Romans are theology, explaining our belief about God. The concluding verses of chapter 11 are doxology, our praise of God that leads up to the great “therefore” of chapter 12. The concluding chapters focus on our devotion to God, our serving Him.

What can we learn from this bridge? First, consider how there can be no doxology without theology. If we do not know God and know about Him, then we cannot rightly praise Him. There can be no doxology without theology. We cannot worship an unknown god—and knowing God brings worship.

Second, consider how devotion to God and serving Him flow out of theology and doxology. If we know God and praise Him, we will serve Him. God does not want devotion without theology or without doxology. To serve not knowing and not praising is not acceptable.

Third, realize that all three are equally important. We must know, praise and serve God.

The real conclusion to the first 11 chapters is not 11:33–36. It is 12:1, a truth obscured by what is possibly the worst chapter break in the Bible, because we too easily separate theology from life.

What we know affects how we live. We need to read and learn the Word and then live it. Don’t be content with either an undevotional theology or an untheological devotion. Read the Word and live it.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #366 on: August 12, 2006, 10:34:07 PM »

Scripture Reference Romans 12 Psalm 84-86

Make the Mark

Psalms 84–86, Romans 12
Key Verses: Romans 12:1–2

In his commentary on Romans, Ray Stedman tells the following story. “Many years ago a man was walking through Union Station in Chicago. It was busy and crowded. He had been thinking of what he might do with his life. It suddenly dawned on him the only logical thing he could do with his life, since it belonged to God and had been redeemed by the Lord, was to give it to Him and ask Him to use it.

“Right in the midst of the crowd he stopped and drew a little mark with his toe. Then he stood on the mark and said, ‘Lord, here I am, I am Yours. The rest of my life, whatever You want me to do, if You will show me and convince me what You want, I will do it. The attitudes You want me to have, I will have. As I study and read Your Word, I will try to carry out what You tell me to do, and think the way You tell me to think. Here I am, Lord; do with my life as You want.’

“That commitment service in Union Station in Chicago was known only by this man and God. But God picked that man up and began to use him in remarkable ways. He has traveled the world and touched hundreds of lives because God used him.”

That story embodies the significance of Romans 12:1–2, a text that takes the step beyond doctrine and doxology to duty. We are called to make a decisive commitment to God.

Like the man in the train station, have you ever made that mark? If you have, then stay by the mark, stay committed. If you have wandered from the mark, get back to it. And if you never have made it, then right now pray and make the mark.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #367 on: August 14, 2006, 07:02:48 PM »

Scripture Reference Romans 13 Psalm 87-88

When There Is No Relief

Psalms 87–88, Romans 13
Key Verse: Psalm 88:1

The words “and they lived happily ever after” are usually found at the end of fairy tales. We read the last line of the story, sigh at the nice ending, close the book and return to the reality of a world without fairy-tale endings. The truth is, sometimes life is fine, and sometimes it isn’t. Sometimes problems get solved, and sometimes they don’t. Hopeless should not be found in the Christian’s vocabulary because we do have hope in Christ. It’s not an “I hope so” hope but a certain hope. Still there are times when hope dims.

Psalm 88 is a prayer that begins simply enough: “O LORD, the God who saves me, day and night I cry out before you.” We read on expecting to find the usual—God hears, God saves, the psalmist praises. But not this time. Instead we find ourselves reading the saddest of the psalms. Notice all the times the writer speaks of death. He writes not of the death of others but of feeling as if he is about to join the dead. His situation is so dismal that his closest friend is the darkness (v. 18).

There is no “happily ever after” to this story. The psalm is not a fairy tale but a tale of real life. Sometimes our situations will look hopeless. We feel like we are about to die. Our prayers seem to go unanswered.

So what then? We do what we find in verse 1. We pray and keep praying. This psalm calls us to a higher faith, one that continues when the darkness closes in on us.

The next psalm begins with words of hope, but until we get out of the dark times, we must keep praying. Are any ongoing situations weighing you down today? Don’t give up. Ask God for the continued faith you need to trust Him.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #368 on: August 14, 2006, 07:03:58 PM »

Scripture Reference Romans 14 Psalm 89-90

Two Priorities

Psalms 89–90, Romans 14
Key Verse: Romans 14:19

Some of the most difficult disagreements are over what is considered right or wrong. The Bible is very clear on some things, but not on others; hence, the disagreements. We call these issues “gray areas.” How to handle the gray areas must be an important subject since Paul not only discussed it in this chapter and part of the next, but also devoted three chapters to it in 1 Corinthians (8–10).

Gray areas were a problem in the first-century church and will be a problem in the last- century church. We will always have areas in which we do not agree as to what is right and wrong.

So Paul gave us two priorities to carry into these discussions. First, “make very effort to do what leads to peace” (v. 19). That is a pretty simple command, nothing too complicated or difficult to understand. “Make every effort” speaks of the seriousness we have in this regard. Our efforts are to be directed toward peace. We are better at being divisive, getting our way, making our point, when instead we should be pushing hardest toward peace.

Second, our efforts should build others up, not tear them down. And we should do it in such a way that we benefit as well. Our efforts must be directed toward “mutual edification.” We should come out of the discussion better, not bitter.

So the next time you get into one of those gray-area discussions, think about this: Are you working for peace, and are you and the others both growing through this?

We can be so convinced in our minds that there is no room for disagreement. But disagreements will come. Ask God to help you always be a person of peace and edification. Then ask if there is someone with whom you are right now not at peace. Plan your efforts to bring peace and build up each other.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #369 on: August 16, 2006, 01:16:02 AM »

Scripture Reference Romans 15:1-13 Psalm 91-93

God’s Secret Place

Psalms 91–93, Romans 15:1–13
Key Verse: Psalm 91:1

Did you have a secret hideout when you were a child? A place where you could go to feel safe and protected? Mine was in the woods behind our house, beside a bubbling brook.

God has a secret place too. It’s called God’s pavilion, the place under His wings—God’s hiding place. Psalm 27:5 promises, “For in the day of trouble he will keep me safe in his dwelling; he will hide me in the shelter of his tabernacle and set me high upon a rock.”

The more I learn about God’s secret place, the more I am convinced that it’s not a place at all—it’s a person. Jesus Christ is our secret place. He is our shelter in the time of storm, our shield and buckler, the one under whose wings we take refuge. He said, “Remain in me, and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me. I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from you can do nothing” (John 15:4–5).

Are you looking for God’s special hiding place today? Are you in need of some encouragement and nourishment from Him? The answer is to find God’s secret place and live there. The answer is to find Jesus Christ.

“Lord, give me the courage to live in You today, and not just run to You when I am in trouble. Help me to find peace and shelter in You, and give me strength from the true Vine, Jesus Christ.”

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #370 on: August 17, 2006, 08:16:01 AM »

Scripture Reference Romans 15:14-33 Psalm 94-96

Balanced Worship

Psalms 94–96, Romans 15:14–33
Key Verses: Psalm 95:1, 6

Do you have a preferred “style” of worship? In some churches only a piano and organ are allowed for accompaniment, and if it isn’t in the hymnal, it isn’t sung. In other churches the drummer sits behind a Plexiglas wall so as to not overpower the band. Whatever the instruments used, some people prefer a quieter, contemplative service while others are attracted to a more lively celebratory style.

Which is right? Neither and both.

Neither is right if it is all a person experiences. If every worship time is contemplation, or every worship time is celebration, that is not right. What is modeled in the Bible, which is the right arbitrator of such discussions, is a balance of reverent celebration and reverent contemplation. It may seem that hand clapping and knee bending don’t mix, but they do when we have a biblical balance in our worship.

The words of contemplative worship are found in a popular praise song: “Come, let us worship and bow down, let us kneel before the Lord, our God, our Maker.” It is a quiet, reflective song, with words from Psalm 95.

But the psalm begins with, “Come, let us sing for joy to the LORD; let us shout aloud to the Rock, our salvation.” Those are the words of celebration. Sing and shout aloud!

Psalm 95 calls us to both contemplation and celebration. Our life of worship is lived not at the extremes. It is not to be an “either/or” but a “both/and” balance.

Consider your time of worship. Do you at times sing and shout aloud in celebration? Do you at times also bow down and kneel? If you are doing only what you prefer, remember, God wants us to be worshipers who both celebrate and contemplate.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #371 on: August 17, 2006, 08:17:24 AM »

Scripture Reference Romans 16 Psalm 97-99

Handshakes and Hugs

Psalm 97–99, Romans 16
Key Verse: Romans 16:16

When we hear the word church, if we think only of a building, we miss the point. The word does apply to a church building, but in reality the church is people. Actually, if you take the people out of the building, it is no longer even a church building. As Paul concluded his letter to the saints in Rome, he gave them a powerful reminder of the truth about the community of believers. A careful reading of the chapter reveals:

1. The church is people who are diverse (vv. 3–16). In this list we find diversity in race (Jewish and Gentile), in rank (slaves and free) and gender (nine of the 27 are women). Paul evidently thought highly of them all!

2. The church is people who are united. Paul spoke of his “sisters” and “brothers” and called them “beloved.” Then there are the fellow workers and fellow sufferers. Six times he referred to meeting in houses. The essence of the church is its unity, since it is the one and only community in the world in which Christ has broken down all the dividing walls.

3. The church should be a place of handshakes and hugs (v. 16). In Paul’s day, the holy kiss was a visible and tangible gesture of greeting. It was more than a formality; it was an expression of fellowship and of love for others.

There is diversity in the Body of Christ, but by His work He has brought us together. That unity should be obvious and genuine. Church should be a place of handshakes and hugs.

Do you struggle in your relationships with other believers? Consider what Paul did. He commended the believers, recognized the differences but realized that we are one in Christ. Recognize this truth and live it. Learn to love others in Christ.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #372 on: August 21, 2006, 11:53:07 PM »

Scripture Reference Psalm 100-102 1 Corinthians 1

Resolutions

Psalms 100–102, 1 Corinthians 1
Key Verses: Psalm 101:2–3

As we approach December 31 every year, we start to think about making New Year’s resolutions, some of which we keep well into the next day! Far too often our resolutions are far too short-lived. Some people find it more beneficial to make their resolutions for only that day and then to renew them each day. Their morning begins with a recitation of what they are determined to do or not do. The decisions are lived one day at a time.

Psalm 101 sounds like a New Year’s resolution, but it isn’t. The intentions expressed in these verses were not to be followed only for a day or two but for life.

In a resolute way, David stated his “objectives.” These included a blameless walk, a guarding of his eyes, a perspective that rejects wrong and embraces right, and an intolerance for deceitfulness.

Read again this psalm and identify David’s statements of resolution, such as, “I will walk in my house with blameless heart” (v. 2). Then think about how that applies to your life. The next one may be easier. “I will set before my eyes no vile thing” (v. 3). This affects what you watch on TV, the magazines you read and the books you buy.

If Psalm 101 describes how you want to live, make it your daily resolution. Determine that this is how you will live today and every day.

To help this become your resolution, print the words of Psalm 101 on a piece of paper and post it somewhere you will see it every day. Then read it, aloud even, daily. Renew your resolution every day.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #373 on: August 21, 2006, 11:54:13 PM »

Scripture Reference 1 Corinthians 2 Psalm 103-104

Undeserved Treatment

Psalm 103–104, 1 Corinthians 2
Key Verses: Psalm 103:10–12

“It’s just not fair,” we sometimes say, perhaps not thinking too clearly about what we are saying. If someone is being fair toward us, he is following a standard of what is right and proper, not giving consideration to anything or anyone else. We want to be treated fairly—or at least we think we do. Typically, the standard by which we decide if something is “fair” is one of our own perspective. It is our attempt to get what we think we deserve.

We should be thankful that God does not give us what we deserve but instead gives us what we don’t. David said in Psalm 103:10 that God “does not treat us as our sins deserve.” The reason He doesn’t is forgiveness. He removes our transgressions from us, separating them from us at an incalculable distance.

Consider how far east is from west. If you go north far enough, you will reach the North Pole. It’s all south from there. Or go south far enough and you will encounter the South Pole. One more step and you are headed north. North and south really are next to each other. But go east and you will never reach an east pole. Same is true with the west. East is not just a step away from west. They are not even “poles apart.”

Verse 12 is a vivid image of forgiveness: as far as east is from the west. God has removed our transgressions farther than we can imagine.

Thank God for forgiveness! Thank Him that He did not give you what you deserve.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #374 on: August 21, 2006, 11:55:24 PM »

Scripture Reference Psalm 105-106 1 Corinthians 3

Advice Avalanche

Psalms 105–106, 1 Corinthians 3
Key Verse: Psalm 105:4

Your newspaper probably includes a daily advice column, or perhaps two or three. There are the old standbys of Ann Landers and her Dear Abby, along with others, some local, some syndicated. Need advice on your car? Listen to Car Talk on National Public Radio. For home decorating, a slew of television and radio programs are available, along with Web sites that include video clips on specific topics of interest. Self-help books abound, some capitalizing on our frustrations and feelings of ignorance, as seen in titles like HTML 4 Dummies.

So many voices, so many solutions. And we haven’t even mentioned self-help groups, support groups, networks, workshops, seminars and infomercials. Where do you start?

Always start at the same place—and it is not the library, the bookstore, the talk show, the newspaper or the neighbor. “Look to the LORD and his strength; seek his face always” (105:4).

As the psalmist continues, he reminds us of some of God’s great works. “Remember the wonders he has done, his miracles, and the judgments he pronounced” (v. 5). In particular he tells of how the Lord worked in bringing the people of Israel out of Egypt. They were “few in number,” he writes, but they left Egypt “laden with silver and gold” (v. 37). God kept His word. He protected and provided for His people. And He gave them the land He promised them. Praise the Lord!

Some of today’s advisors may have good advice, but start every day, every endeavor, by looking to the Lord, to His strength, seeking His face.

“God, help me to put You at the top of the list of my advisors. May I always start with You when looking for the help and strength I need.”

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 32 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the