Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:17:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286798 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Books (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Colson's New Book Offers Seekers Secrets of 'The Good Life'
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Colson's New Book Offers Seekers Secrets of 'The Good Life'  (Read 1392 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« on: June 16, 2005, 12:57:37 AM »

Colson's New Book Offers Seekers Secrets of 'The Good Life'

by Allie Martin
June 14, 2005

(AgapePress) - The founder of Prison Fellowship, the largest international Christian ministry to prisoners and their families, says a person's worldview is what determines what they will become in life and how much genuine satisfaction they will experience.

In his new book, The Good Life: Seeking Purpose, Meaning and Truth in Your Life (Tyndale House, 2005), author Chuck Colson uses episodes from his own life and from the lives of others to point people to Jesus. In the book, he proffers Christ as the source of a truly satisfying life.

The Good Life was written primarily for seekers, Colson explains, because he believes "you can see there is a truth to be found; and where it eventually leads, when you look at how all the great philosophies and religious systems work out, is to the biblical view of life -- the only one that makes sense."

In the next to the last chapter of the book, Colson offers a vivid illustration of his passion for apologetics. "I say in the book," he notes, "if I were practicing law today -- every lawyer's dream [is] to argue a great case in the Supreme Court -- I would love to argue the case that the biblical worldview is true."

The Prison Fellowship founder says he thinks he could win that case for a biblical worldview "over any challenge, because clearly it's the only one that is rational, that makes sense ... that's livable." And at the same time, he contends, the life led according to that worldview is the only one that leads to personal fulfillment.

For instance, Colson points out, the Bible teaches that a satisfying life is not found in material possessions, but only in truly following Christ. As one makes the effort to imitate the Savior's selfless example, the author says one finds helping others is what leads to true satisfaction in life.

"You don't find it through the things of this world," Colson asserts. "You find it, basically, when you give yourself away. What I've discovered -- and I make this point in the book -- is that for me, the most rewarding parts of my life are the people I've been able to help along the way."
Allie Martin, a regular contributor to AgapePress, is a reporter for American Family Radio News, which can be heard online.

http://news.christiansunite.com/Religion_News/religion02860.shtml

Additional information on ChristiansUnite.com is available on the Internet at http://www.christiansunite.com/
Copyright © 2003 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.

(My Note: I just might have to read this book. Those who are involved in prison ministries often have a unique perspective on the satisfaction that comes from allowing God to use you in difficult work for HIM.)

cris
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2005, 10:35:37 PM »

BEP,

It sounds really interesting.  I just might have to read it, too.

Steve Munsey has a book out called "The Seven Blessings of the Passover" that I'd like to read.  I think it's about Jesus observing the Passover and that we should be, too.  I know many probably will disagree with that, but it's their perogative.  Will let you know if I ever do read it.

Grace and peace,
cris

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2005, 10:42:28 AM »

Sister Chris,

There are thousands of different opinions and thoughts about ceremonies and observances. In fact, it would probably be safe to say that just about every Christian has different views.

For this reason and many others, including Biblical ones, I think that the most important observance is a personal matter of the heart between the Christian and God. I'm talking about the personal relationship of love and fellowship between the individual and God that CAN BE  24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Jesus is with us, Jesus is in us, we are in Jesus, and we never have to take a step to find HIM. God's supply of grace, love, and fellowship is without measure and never ending. This is a beautiful and precious truth that is a treasure beyond description. On top of everything else, this is what our Lord and Saviour wants.

I was just reflecting on the many critics of Christian faith, especially those who concentrate on the failure of men. Our Lord and Saviour never fails. I give thanks that our trust is in HIM, not men.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Psalms 23:1  The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the