Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 05:43:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286798 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Fellowship
| |-+  You name it!! (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  A Humble Heart
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A Humble Heart  (Read 579 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« on: May 20, 2005, 07:43:26 AM »

Author: Woodrow Kroll
Source: Lessons on Living from Daniel
Scripture: James 1:17 Daniel 5:22-23

A Humble Heart

Daniel 5:22–23

"But you his son, Belshazzar, have not humbled your heart, although you knew all this. And you have lifted yourself up against the Lord of heaven. They have brought the vessels of His house before you, and you and your lords, your wives and your concubines, have drunk wine from them. And you have praised the gods of silver and gold, bronze and iron, wood and stone, which do not see or hear or know; and the God who holds your breath in His hand and owns all your ways, you have not glorified."

A Humble Heart

Popular culture has lost its grasp on humility. When asked about the sin of pride, rap singer Queen Latifah replied, "Pride is a sin? I wasn't aware of that." Actress Kirstie Alley added, "I don't think pride is a sin. . . . I think some idiot made that up." And rapper Ice-T responded, "Pride is mandatory. That's one of the problems of the inner city. Kids don't have enough pride." Somewhere along the line these people have neglected reading the Bible. God clearly says that pride is sin.

Belshazzar, the last of Nebuchadnezzar's line to rule Babylon, also fell victim to pride. He surely had heard of his grandfather's experiences, but apparently they made no impression on him. Even though the Medes and the Persians were advancing on his kingdom, he was so confident of his defenses that he spent the evening in revelry rather than preparation. In his arrogance, he gave praise to the gods of materialism and failed to glorify the one true God, who could have saved his life. In thinking that he had it all, he lost everything.

Much of modern society is headed in the same direction. People take great pride in the advancements they've made in medicine, communications and other forms of technology. Yet they've failed to acknowledge that their achievements have been only by the grace of God.

The Bible's advice is still the best. Humble yourself before God. Lift up your accomplishments and confess that they are all gifts from the Lord, who is the giver of all good things (James 1:17). Give thanks to Him who holds your very breath in His hands. Set aside pride and grab hold of God.

All we have we owe to God.

This devotional is freely distributed by Back To The Bible.

Did you enjoy this devotional?  Send it on for a friend to enjoy.
To receive this e-mail regularly, just go to this page:
http://www.backtothebible.org/aboutus/email_entry.htm

M

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2005, 10:32:02 AM »

Often people confuse pride with self-respect, confidence in one's abilities or realizing one's talents and aspirations.  

Low self-esteem or self-hatred is a sin.  If we are commanded to love our neighbour as ourself, how can one love another if one hates oneself?  It also makes it difficult for the self-loathing to understand that God loves them as their low self-esteem prevents them from thinking that they can be worthy of love at all, from anyone, even God.  That is why care must be taken in counselling others.  If their parents did not love them as a child they will have difficulty understanding what love is.  Yes, Jesus can cure this love sickness but it might take some time for them to realize this.

The opposite of low self-esteem is not to become prideful of one's achievements.  When one can love themselves, they should be thankful of the Lord's gifts to them.  
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2005, 01:26:58 PM »

M,

I understand exactly what you are talking about. The kids who have never been loved are the ones who are ripe for gang membership and crime. This lack of love is easy for teachers to recognize, even as early as kindergarten. Some of the kids are starved for any kind of affection, and they feel like nobody wants them. If this continues, they will naturally have bigger and bigger problems and end up in trouble. Many law enforcement studies have been done that indicate this is completely true. That's why many off-duty police officers, civic organizations, schools, and churches get together for many kinds of constructive programs. Hopefully, getting the kids to church is also one of the outcomes.

Love In Christ,
Tom

2 Corinthians 5:20-21  Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled to God. For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2005, 02:16:01 PM »

The non-secuular world calls this dissociative disease. They do not know how to associate with others. It is worsened if the child has endured violent physical abuse on top of this. They come to think that violence is the normal way to handle things. I see this a lot in the neighborhood that I live in.

Thank God for the programs that here also to help these children to know what love is. Most of these programs in my area are run by churches.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2005, 11:07:44 AM »

Pastor Roger,

Brother, you are completely correct. Many of the parents are eaten up with drugs, alcohol, crime, and other self-indulgent behavior that children simply get in the way of. The children ARE often abused and neglected, some for their entire young lives. Further, their thoughts of authority are twisted because of the horrible role models they have as parents. In many cases, JESUS represents their only chance to live normal and productive lives.

Love In Christ,
Tom

I Peter 1:18-19  Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers; But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot:

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the