Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 11:21:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286798 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Apologetics (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Taking a Stand?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Taking a Stand?  (Read 8758 times)
Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2003, 08:56:40 PM »

Whew.  I'll have to come back to this.
Petro
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2003, 12:23:59 AM »

Psalm 119

I agree with you,  

I have been a christian for over 23 years, and when I first became a Christian, I got involved in helping to build the basic shell for houses,  for poor people in Mexico (since I live in the southwest, close to the border)(the decision who got one built, was made by others, I was just part of a volunteer crew that did the job), this type of ministry sounds great on the surface, but was alot physical of work, and there was many Christians who applied and were granted the sponsorship by different churches, who put up the money for the basic house shell (they were supposed to finish their own homes;  well as it turned out,some of these christians, sold there homes for a tremendeous profit, instead of finishing them, which really opened my eyes to what honors God and what doesn't, as far as doing the ministering, we are called to serve Him, not self serving people.

And this is what I came to understand, concerning working for the Lord.

1. There is always going to be needy people, some poor but there is always others who are poorer, some even destitute.

2.  There some ministries,which are nothing more than social work should be left to secular social workers.

3.   God desires that He be known, and glorified, and that the gospel be preached, and this should be the central thrust of the ministry.

4.   Discernment - Many imposters, who will claim to be christian, when they understand what the free bees are, a ministry is giving away, will show up to take what they can, depriving those who really need the services more.

My point is, that Christians who embark, in some type of activity for the Lord, should do so prayerfully, and with much discernment, to wisely spend the funds entrusted to them by churches.

They should always, proclaim the unsearchable riches of Christ by teaching and preaching the Gospel of the Kingdom.

Doing something for the sake of doing it, and not glorifying the Lord, is not something Christians should be involved in, for instance serving food in food lines, is something anybody can do, but unless a Christian does it at a place where the object is to make Christ known, what value is it, for the kingdom.

Sometimes, good intentions, turn into full time social jobs, which overwhelms the ones ministering to the needy, and the work leaves no time for sharing the Word.

In short, what ever we do for God, ought to be for the purpose of sharing the most important thing with those we serve, and that is to share the word of truth, with them, that they might be saved or , edify and strengthen if they claim to be believers.

If one asks 80% of people one meets on the street these days if they are christians, almost all will dsay they are, so its hard to tell who is and who isn't.

Do all to the glory of God, this ought to our motto..

God Bless,
Petro

Psalm 119

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2003, 08:42:32 AM »

Petro,

I too have seen the "social gospel", and it's not the saving gospel.

There our outfits like habitat for humanity that do good works, but there is no real foundation on the "Rock". I know a lot of cities have soup kitchens and such. But if these things are not founded on the gospel of Jesus Christ they are nothing.

We are still called to be salt and light, and not hide under a bushel. That's my biggest concern for the body of Christ.

Psalm 119
Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2003, 09:28:32 AM »

I've known a good number of people who've been in one social cause or another--community betterment, Salv. Army, etc.  

Many seem to regret it in their old age--to the point of bitterness.  

Whatever we do we have to do as unto the Lord.  Looking for "return" sets us up for disappointment.

If we're activists, we should be careful how to handle those who aren't, may be what Petro is saying.

But the cowardly the LOrd wants no part of, too.  Certainly we couldn't side with the protestant minister there in Corrie Ten Boom's Hiding Place, who refused to smuggle out the Jewish baby.

Certainly we want to have the courage to help those in need, no matter the cost.

Many social programs, tho, are corrupt from both angles--the promoters use human weakness(hunger, housing, old age, etc.), to enrich or glorify themselves; and as Petro says of the housing he worked in, the recipients use it equally to profiteer in.

Much of it seems to take "discernment"--knowing what to participate in, and what not to.  

I think in most any benevolent work, though, there is always the feeling of futility lurking about.  Indeed, Paul warned that God subjected all in futility, here on earth.

I think it comes back to Who we're walking with, whenever we are dooing whatever it is we are doing--Who we are communing with.  

But for sure, the "inter-faith" movement will definitely be one of "good works"--a snare the discerning Christian must be quick to recognize--wolves in "sheeps clothing".  They will be going the extra mile to make a Christian look bad.
Whitehorse
Gold Member

I'll think of something.

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2003, 09:36:30 AM »

Whitehorse,

Prior to 1988 ,abortion was sky rocketing and God's people were keeping the pews nice and warm. Then a move of God began called Operation Rescue. People from all denominations ( with the exception of the WCC) crossing all cultural and socio economic lines heard the cry of God to first repent, then to take action.( Read Isaiah 1).  Our nation was drowning in blood guiltiness  and still is for the most part.Over the next five years or so there were approximately 600,000 arrests at the clinics( including yours truly). Revival broke out in the jails and in the hearts of Gods people. Babies were saved by the hundreds (or more). Operation Save America picked up where Operation Rescue left off. Yes the "tactics" haven't been 501 (c) 3 ( Church incorporation) approved, but the fruit of these tactics have done the following: Being a prophetic voice to a wicked and sinful generation (see Ezekiel 18, 33) saving children from a horrible death, watching people come to the saving knowlege of Jesus Christ.

Just think if the Church had been the Church it should've been in 1973 there would now be 40 million future taxpayers. These are 40 million souls who will never have the opportunity to pay tribute to Caeser.  Cry

Psalm 119

Well, it's like I say; I believe strongly in taking a stand. But sinning is not the way to take a stand. And in our zeal and righteous indignation (both good and holy things), we must guard against going so over the top that we lose respect from those we are trying to reach. Carrying around caskets? That's zealous, but not disciplined. Zeal must be combined with maturity and discipline. It's the presentation that needs tweeking, not the cause.  Wink

DareDevil

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2003, 04:31:20 PM »

Below is an excerpt from an article at www.operationsaveamerica.org

About 300 supporters of Operation Save America will gather in the Charlotte area starting Saturday for eight days of prayer services and rallies in front of abortion clinics, churches, mosques and other city landmarks.

Do you think what Pastor Benham, and Operationsaveamerica, is doing, is the way to take a stand.

Is this a small but good example of the growing coalition--a community's churches, together with their police--that will be against us??   THE MARK OF THE BEAST ??

What is his stand on the 10 commandments of God ?
   What about the 7th day Sabbath question ?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the