Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:40:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286776 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Television (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Old TV Shows Remembered
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Old TV Shows Remembered  (Read 50002 times)
Bronzesnake
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2005, 11:03:32 AM »

Okay - here's one for you -
When I was a 7 year old kid in Texas (around 1962) THE television event every Saturday night:

Roller Derby!Man!  Could those women take a punch!!!   Grin

Do you remember Skinny Minnie Miller?  Cheesy

Bronzesnake
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2005, 01:36:46 PM »

Okay - here's one for you -
When I was a 7 year old kid in Texas (around 1962) THE television event every Saturday night:

Roller Derby!Man!  Could those women take a punch!!!   Grin

Do you remember Skinny Minnie Miller?  Cheesy

Bronzesnake
How about pysco Ronny Reigns, John Hall,, or Little Richard? those guys, had the blocks that really could hurt you. Then the women, who could hurt you. Shirley Hardman, Sally Vega, Colleen Murrell, or Toni Kadrmas.

As you can tell, I enjoyed Roller Derby.

Without the LA T-BIRDS, it ain't roller derby

cris
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2005, 12:20:30 AM »

Did anyone mention:

Gene Autry
I Remember Mama (Nels, Katrin, Dagmar)
Detective King (Goodnight! I'm coming home Mabel)
Your Hit Parade (Dorothy Collins)
Dinah Shore Show
Dick Clark's Bandstand

Does anyone remember that the picture tube turned snowy after about midnight?  TV was off the air until around 6:00 or 7:00 in the morning.

Does anyone remember, "This is the Dumont Television Network" between programs?

The days of "tube replacements"!  Grin

Oh, I almost forgot.  There were floor models and table models.  The table models were less expensive.  The floor models were actually in "real" wood cabinets.  

Aahh, "how sweet it was."  Cheesy

I do pine sometimes for those "good ole days."

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2005, 05:30:45 AM »

Sister Chris,

Cheesy  I remember most of what you mentioned. You stumped me on several of the old shows. I told my children about the days before television, and they looked at me like I was crazy. It was something like:

"Dad, how did they do mass communications in those days - jungle drums?"  Cheesy

I told them we actually had a telephone, and the entire number for dialing it locally was three digits.  Grin  Again, they looked at me like I was crazy.

I told them we lived in a very modern home with one bathroom, 1 bedroom, and an add-on porch that doubled as another bedroom.  Things were rough back then and my mother's sister and her family also lived in the same house of about 700 square feet. So, we had 4 adults and 6 children using that modern house that even had indoor plumbing and electricity. My kids didn't believe me.  Grin

Me thinks that the last several generations were spoiled. Now, a child is considered to be deprived if their parents don't buy them $70 - $90 tennis shoes.

Back to the thread topic:  it's really pretty sad that we've gone from the Lone Ranger to the Gay Stranger for shows to watch.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Acts 26:18  To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2005, 02:08:58 PM »

I remember a time before TV. Everyone sat around the big RCA radio listening to the Lone Ranger and The Shadow Knows. Having to go to the outhouse that was unheated. Using a big metal tub for bathing where the water was heated on the stove. These tubs are now used on farms for watering horses.

I remember our first TV with only a few programs a day which were mostly news reels. Getting up at 5 AM to shovel coal into the furnace in order to have heat for the day. A telephone on the wall with a crank that you had to turn to get the operator who had to patch you through to the person you wanted to talk to.

Yes folks "Andy of Mayberry" was modern in comparison.

Those were the days when neighbors actually knew each other and a mans word with a handshake actually meant something. The big event would be a town picnic with prayer and a sermon (in public even).

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
ollie
Gold Member

Being born again, .....by the word of God,

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2005, 03:53:00 PM »

Did anyone mention, "Love American Style", or "The Hollywood Palace"?

Support your local Christian.
cris
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2005, 12:35:17 PM »

Enjoyed your posts BEP and PR.  Our telephone number had 3 digits and a letter, something like 425R.  Then they dropped the letter, and phone numbers were ALL numbers, no letters.

I remember the days of listening to the radio (a wooden floor model).  I remember wanting to know when the radio would play ALL music.  As a kid I wasn't interested in "news".

Our standard of living is just unbelievable today.  When did anyone in history (common people) ever live the way we do?  NEVER!  I'm not against technology, but it has taken it's toll on our lives, ie., what you said PR, about neighbors actually knowing neighbors.  Oh yea, and the handshake and word being a man's bond; it's certainly not like that today, unfortunately..................just sad, very sad.

Hey, do you all remember when kids actually played outside?  There really wasn't anything much else they could do.  Do you remember when just everyday life was "exercise"?  We didn't need to make time for extra exercise because we never even thought about it.  Grin

Does anyone remember the time when there was no bubble gum?  All of those resources were used because of WWII.

Does anyone remember when you could go to the movies for .50?

Does anyone remember when the cost of a house is what a downpayment is today?

Does anyone remember thinking our parent and grandparents lived in the "olden days"? Grin

Sometimes it's good to look back! Wink

Bronzesnake
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2005, 01:52:28 PM »

The Courtship Of Eddies Father! (got ya!)

Anyone remember a show with Bobby Sherman?
Here come the brides?

Game shows anyone?

Truth or consequences.
The dateing game
Beat the clock
Concentration
Let's make a deal
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2005, 08:23:06 PM »

Brothers and Sisters,

I many times think that I would have been much happier in the time frame of 1700s-1800s.

Bronzesnake, you got me on a couple, but I do remember the radio shows that Pastor Roger mentioned and others.

Chris, yes I've heard the kids talk about the "olden days" we lived in, and I remember being very interested in hearing my parents and grandparents talk about their days. I think those "olden days" where much better in many ways, especially in morals and values. I don't think that I would miss the technology much except in health care.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Acts 26:18  To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me.

cris
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2005, 12:24:00 AM »

OK, since it's been a time to reminisce here, who remembers some of the TV commercials for various products?

Duz soap powder
Rinso soap powder
Fels Naptha soap powder
20 Mule Team Borax
Ivory soap
Lux soap
Swan soap
Sweetheart soap

Rice Crispie's Cereal (snap, crackle, and pop)  (I actually listened Grin)
Wheaties (the breakfast of champions)

Anyone?

Bronzesnake
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2005, 01:10:33 AM »

OK, since it's been a time to reminisce here, who remembers some of the TV commercials for various products?

Duz soap powder
Rinso soap powder
Fels Naptha soap powder
20 Mule Team Borax
Ivory soap
Lux soap
Swan soap
Sweetheart soap

Rice Crispie's Cereal (snap, crackle, and pop)  (I actually listened Grin)
Wheaties (the breakfast of champions)

Anyone?

Not fair!! Men don't pay attention to commercials! Cheesy
Bronzesnake
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2005, 01:15:51 AM »

Brothers and Sisters,

I many times think that I would have been much happier in the time frame of 1700s-1800s.

Bronzesnake, you got me on a couple, but I do remember the radio shows that Pastor Roger mentioned and others.

Chris, yes I've heard the kids talk about the "olden days" we lived in, and I remember being very interested in hearing my parents and grandparents talk about their days. I think those "olden days" where much better in many ways, especially in morals and values. I don't think that I would miss the technology much except in health care.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Ya, I agree. As much joy that old TV has brought me, it has gotten to the point where everytime I switch it on I see filth or a huge explosion caused by a guy flicking a ciggerette into a pool of gas! Roll Eyes Most of us know a ciggerette won't ignite a a pool of gas, but it happens all the time on TV. Violence and sex has become mainstream. How sad.

I would love to live in the 1700 - 1800 also, but I know I don't appreciate just how hard daily life was for those folks. Up before sunrise every day, sick or healthy to tend to the farm. Chopping wood by hand for the winter. Clearing fields of trees and brush with a beast of burden so you can grow crops etc.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2005, 01:30:39 AM »

Grin  You'll wonder where the yellow went when you brush your teeth with Pepsodent.

OK - it's time for a quiz:

What was it that melts in your mouth, not your hands?

What was it that twins were always used to make ads?

What is Nehi?

JudgeNot
Gold Member

Jesus, remember me... Luke 23:42

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2005, 01:53:19 AM »

M&Ms
Double Mint Gum
Grape soda

"RICE-a-roni, the San Francisco Treat!"

"Take Sominex tonight and sleep - safe and restful sleep, sleep, sleep"

Benson & Hedges 101: ("A millimeter longer") there was the guy smoking his 'last' cigarette in front of the firing squad - but it was "a millimeter longer" so the squad was falling asleep waiting for him to finish the cigarette...

Covering your tracks is futile; God knows where you're going and where you've been.
JPD
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2005, 10:48:29 AM »

Duz soap powder      “Duz Does Everything”
Rinso soap powder    "This new kind of soap dissolves instantly!"
Fels Naptha soap powder   Good for poison ivy treatment also
20 Mule Team Borax      Death Valley Days with Ronald Reagan  
Ivory soap           And it floats (the idea was stolen by Swan)
Lux soap              Loveliness Of Soft Skin
Swan soap           It floats
Sweetheart soap   (You got me on this one, I don't remember any ads for it)

OK guys, I got bored easily and made fun of the ads.

How about:

Buster Brown ads
Vegemite
Burma Shave
"Dad Is The Captain, Give Him _________"

Nehi sodas also made other flavors such as orange and peach but the grape was the one that tasted the best. Grape Nehi with a Moon Pie!

I would love to live in the 1700 - 1800 also, but I know I don't appreciate just how hard daily life was for those folks. Up before sunrise every day, sick or healthy to tend to the farm. Chopping wood by hand for the winter. Clearing fields of trees and brush with a beast of burden so you can grow crops etc.

That sounds like my childhood and I'm not that old!

Wink Wink Cheesy Cheesy
« Last Edit: June 18, 2005, 10:49:31 AM by Pastor Roger » Logged

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the