Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 01:23:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286805 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Debate (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Athiests, etc who celebrate Christmas
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Athiests, etc who celebrate Christmas  (Read 3237 times)
Saved_byChrist

View Profile
« on: December 18, 2004, 03:34:33 PM »

Does this make sence to you? It doesn't to me, and it makes me mad. Christmas is supposed to be a holiday that celebrates Christ- so how do so many people who aren't even Christian celebrate it?! I had some friends who aren't Christian, and they asked me what I wanted for Christmas. One of them told me that Christmas was a national holiday, and nobody really celebrates it for religion anymore. Another one got reeeallly mad when I asked her why she celebrated it. Is the point of this hliday to these people getting stuff?! How lame! What do yout think?

Terrorists have killed 3000 Americans since 1990.....Abortionists have killed 4000 Americans since yesturday.

God gave us 86,400 seconds a day. Have you taken one to say 'thank you'?
Brother Love
Gold Member

"FAITH ALONE IN CHRIST ALONE"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2004, 04:58:40 PM »

Terrorists have killed 3000 Americans since 1990.....Abortionists have killed 4000 Americans since yesturday.

I agree Smiley

THINGS THAT DIFFER By C.R. Stam
Read it on line for "FREE"

http://www.geocities.com/protestantscot/ttd/ttd_chap1.html

<Smiley))><
felix102

Jesus Christ is Lord!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2004, 02:46:23 AM »

Does this make sence to you? It doesn't to me, and it makes me mad. Christmas is supposed to be a holiday that celebrates Christ- so how do so many people who aren't even Christian celebrate it?! I had some friends who aren't Christian, and they asked me what I wanted for Christmas. One of them told me that Christmas was a national holiday, and nobody really celebrates it for religion anymore. Another one got reeeallly mad when I asked her why she celebrated it. Is the point of this hliday to these people getting stuff?! How lame! What do yout think?

The CHIRST in Christmas has long been forgotten and, most likely, never known by most non-believers (atheists, agnostics, etc). I use to have the same feeling for those who celebrated holidays yet understood not why they were celebrating it. It fits to say that they did know the true Holiday Spirit but believed they knew the Holiday Spirit. (sound familiar? hint: the Holy Spirit) It reminds me of that Jack in the Box commercial with those reindeer antler hat's. The people say, "Good holiday day spirit". But what do antlers have to do with CHRISTmas? This is a holiday spirit in Santa Claus and his reindeers and not Christ Jesus.

These people celebrate Christmas for gifts, trees, and cool lights. Christmas is just another national secular holiday. This is just the way of the world. People need an excuse to have school breaks, work breaks, and a need to celebrate. I believe we very well could have holidays celebrating each disciple of Christ and all the prophets in the OT and still, the world would forget its origin and celebrate it just to celebrate.
cris
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2004, 03:23:01 PM »

I think it's always been both secular and religious for a very long time.  Of course, the original intention was to celebrate the birth of our Savior.  All of us who are "in Christ" could dispense with the extraneous and just send one another "birthday cards" in remembrance.  Wanna start it?
Even though they complain,I really don't think many people, Christian or other, want any changes.

Shemaya
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2004, 06:14:29 PM »

the thing is to me store and everything have made it a day of getting gifts so people will spend alot of money in their stores.Maybe to them this is a time that they so they love each other and show it by getting them gifts.the thing is I don't really know,but that's my guess
Kalthzar

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2004, 04:56:14 PM »

I'm an atheist, do you want me to reply to that? (the OP) Smiley

"Men speak of killing time when time slowly killing them"
"We make war that we may live in peace"
"Practical politics consists in ignoring the facts"
"Everyone's quick to blame the Alien"
"Multiplication vexes me, Division is as bad, The ru
Saved_byChrist

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2004, 06:25:03 PM »

yes, Kalthzar, please do. And- what? You're Athiest? Isn't this a Christian website? What's "the OP"?

Melody
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2004, 06:38:36 PM »

I think it's always been both secular and religious for a very long time.  Of course, the original intention was to celebrate the birth of our Savior.  

I think the original intent was to get the pagans to quit celebrating their pagan winter solstice.  Smiley  

cris
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2004, 10:44:39 AM »

I think it's always been both secular and religious for a very long time.  Of course, the original intention was to celebrate the birth of our Savior.  

I think the original intent was to get the pagans to quit celebrating their pagan winter solstice.  Smiley  

I think "the" original intent was to celebrate the birth of Christ with the hope of winning pagans to Christ.  I'd have to do some research on this and I don't have the time right now.

Kalthzar

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2004, 11:48:32 AM »

Yes i am an atheist, there are rules to what people can say (on this forum), to say the least it limits me more than others but yes we do exist  Wink

and the OP is the Opening post....i think Grin

Your main problem is that is was originally a religious holiday? (as some others have mentioned, it was pagan in origin, then t'was modified a bit)

And that non-Christians shouldn't worship it for this reason?

I would blame the Companies and Media who hype the holiday up.  I remember seeing a discussion similar to this, where a person said that basically The Christmas holiday used to be just celebrated by Chrisitans, and it wasn't such a big deal for everyone else. So i would expect if you looked back in the newspapers, go back about 30 years, and and keep going back in 10 year steps. See how much Christmas is reported in the papers.

other than that, i would say one of your non-christian friends is correct, it isn't really celebrated for the religious reasons much. Sure there is a lot of good things that come out of it. But you don't see papers or the TV reporting on the Christian message. Instead they portray the commercial aspect of our 'new Christmas', they're in it for the money.

"Men speak of killing time when time slowly killing them"
"We make war that we may live in peace"
"Practical politics consists in ignoring the facts"
"Everyone's quick to blame the Alien"
"Multiplication vexes me, Division is as bad, The ru
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2004, 01:01:13 AM »

I don't think that the television and media folks have a clue about how many Christians celebrate Christmas. They are more in tune about how the world, not Christians, celebrate Christmas.

For many Christians, Christmas simply means bigger and longer worship services, special church and family gatherings to eat together, give thanks, and share the love of Jesus. For many Christians, Christmas really is a time for joy, thanksgiving, and sharing happiness in Jesus. Our fun always involves the Bible, singing worship songs, prayer, and things the world does not understand or appreciate. We've already been given the biggest and most precious GIFT in existence, JESUS CHRIST! The best personal gifts we give each other is Christian fellowship. The material gifts we give each other are usually small and insignificant. However, the children don't think so. Cheesy

There are a few television shows that come fairly close to describing what many Christians do or try to do every day - share the love of JESUS with others. However, they may be more motivated and try harder at Christmas. After all, this is a time that we celebrate the Birth of Jesus. There are a lot of special things that families and churches do during this time of the year that the world would not view as fun, but we do.

Many folks don't think that it is possible for Christians to laugh and have fun. That would be another television stereotype, and it simply isn't true. Christians simply have fun in different ways than the world. Christians don't need alcohol and other substances to get happy and have fun. Maybe that's why the world thinks that Christians are dull, boring, never have any fun, and never laugh. WELL, I've got a NEWS FLASH! - Our clean fun is MORE FUN - and we can legally drive when we leave the party.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Titus 2:11-14  For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men, Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world; Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ; Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2004, 01:09:14 AM »

I don't think that the television and media folks have a clue about how many Christians celebrate Christmas. They are more in tune about how the world, not Christians, celebrate Christmas.

For many Christians, Christmas simply means bigger and longer worship services, special church and family gatherings to eat together, give thanks, and share the love of Jesus. For many Christians, Christmas really is a time for joy, thanksgiving, and sharing happiness in Jesus. Our fun always involves the Bible, singing worship songs, prayer, and things the world does not understand or appreciate. We've already been given the biggest and most precious GIFT in existence, JESUS CHRIST! The best personal gifts we give each other is Christian fellowship. The material gifts we give each other are usually small and insignificant. However, the children don't think so. Cheesy

There are a few television shows that come fairly close to describing what many Christians do or try to do every day - share the love of JESUS with others. However, they may be more motivated and try harder at Christmas. After all, this is a time that we celebrate the Birth of Jesus. There are a lot of special things that families and churches do during this time of the year that the world would not view as fun, but we do.

Many folks don't think that it is possible for Christians to laugh and have fun. That would be another television stereotype, and it simply isn't true. Christians simply have fun in different ways than the world. Christians don't need alcohol and other substances to get happy and have fun. Maybe that's why the world thinks that Christians are dull, boring, never have any fun, and never laugh. WELL, I've got a NEWS FLASH! - Our clean fun is MORE FUN - and we can legally drive when we leave the party.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Titus 2:11-14  For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men, Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world; Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ; Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.
AMEN Tom

There will come a point when, we will leave the party sooner. Grin  Then those unlucky, to believe in Christ. Cry

Revelation 3:10 “Because you have kept My command to persevere, I also will keep you from the hour of trial which shall come upon the whole world, to test those who dwell on the earth.”

Resting with God.
Bob

Saved_4ever
Gold Member

A KJV bible believing Christian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2004, 06:51:41 AM »

Love In Christ,
Tom

My father (who was not Christian) loved to give gifts at Christmas.  He really enjoyed that for some reason.  I'll never really know the "full" reason behind it but I have some guesses.  The rest of my family isn't as big on it.  This year we still got each other something but it's only a gift or two and it's not about spending money.  The point though is that I got into an argument  with my father and his girlfriend about not teaching my son about santa claus.  Their argument was that's what christmas was all about to which I had to correct them and say it was about celebrating the birth of Christ even if it is the wrong time of year.

They didn't like that at all and it gets wierd for me when other people ask my son if he's ready for santa claus.  I never make mention of SC in my house and so my son looks at them like "who?".

Next year though I am going to suggest that instead of getting gifts for each other that we gove to some charity or something in  their names.  Actually doing the christian thing and being charitable and even fullfilling the supposed message of "giving" to others.

Unfortunately though we have bought into the marketing of Christmas so much that our economy now depends on christmas sales to make out the year.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2004, 03:57:19 PM »

Saved_4Ever,

My family does give gifts at Christmas, but I doubt the commercial giants depend on us much. Many of our gifts are homemade, food that we enjoy together, family pictures, things that we need, or small things that are personal. What something costs is not important. My grandsons may make me something, and I will treasure that more than any expensive gift, simply because it was made by their own little hands.

I give thanks that many people do volunteer work and give gifts to the Salvation Army, Hospice, Goodwill, children's shelters, homes for battered women, nursing homes, homes for the handicapped, hospitals, Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, soup kitchens, evangelism outreach programs, missionaries all over the world, your local church, food banks, shelters for the homeless, the Gideons, and a host of other worthy labors for the Lord.

I think that it is essential for all children to know there are many people less fortunate, in need, hungry, without homes, and without God. If you give them a gift, tell them where all of our gifts come from - GOD! If you give your children a gift, teach them also how and why they should give to others. If you ever mention the word "gift", talk about the most precious GIFT, Jesus Christ, our Lord and Saviour. Most of our children have already received this GIFT. If not, helping them understand and accept that GIFT should be the heaviest burden on the hearts of their parents. The same would be true of other family members and friends. This is the biggest and most precious GIFT, and it's already been paid for by the Blood of JESUS on the CROSS.

The things of the LORD are always the best gifts for Christians to give. Maybe it's a Bible, a Christian book, gospel music, and other gifts that keep on giving. Maybe it's nothing but a hug and saying "I love you."

Love In Christ,
Tom

Ephesians 1:3  Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ:

Saved_4ever
Gold Member

A KJV bible believing Christian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2004, 10:35:05 AM »

The commecial ginats may not count on your family or some others but overall they count on the marketed version of christmas for 4th quarter sales which are usually higher than any other quater.  It makes a big difference in the financial year as a whole.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the