Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:44:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286808 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Debate (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  TONGUES
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: TONGUES  (Read 8794 times)
Mrs.Chosen

Chosen By GOD Isaiah 43:1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2005, 03:49:06 AM »

Wow,
you guys are truly truly missing a great big point.
Someone said
"Speaking in Tongues is a spiritual gift from God and is absolutely still working in followers of Christ today. It is physical proof that the Holy Spirit is within you. Not everyone is blessed with this particular gift but everyone has a special gift that was meant for them."
1st I just want to break down 3 steps of the plan of Salvation.
1 Believe the Gospel of Jesus Christ
2 Confess that you are a sinner and ask GOD to forgive you
3 Recieve Jesus as Lord and Saviour of you life. (This means you belong to HIM.)
Part 3 is the point when you receive the Holy Spirit because you can not receive Jesus but not receive the Holy Spirit. We agree they are one. So to say that if one does not speak in tounges the Holy Spirit is not abiding is very false.
Now this was a big issue then as it is now. That is the whole reason of this scripture that was earlier posted, yet totally ignored.
1 Corinthians 12: 28-31
28First, God chose some people to be apostles and prophets and teachers for the church. But he also chose some to work miracles or heal the sick or help others or be leaders or speak different kinds of languages. 29Not everyone is an apostle. Not everyone is a prophet. Not everyone is a teacher. Not everyone can work miracles. 30Not everyone can heal the sick. Not everyone can speak different kinds of languages. Not everyone can tell what these languages mean. 31I want you to desire the best gifts. [a] So I will show you a much better way.
Please let GOD's word speak for it self. Please do not close your mind and be unteachable because we can never know everthing about GOD.
I am not saying no one has tounges, I am saying that it is not the evidence of the Holy Spirit. So if you don't have the gift, then that is because GOD did not give it to you and that is HIS will.
Amen.

In Christ Jesus Love,

L.Gore
Jemidon2004

Just a sinner granted unmerited marvelous grace...

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2005, 08:46:34 AM »

If you will re-read the previous posts...i'm sure you will find that NOT ALL people have the gift of tongues contrary to what someone said. I don't have the gift of tongues, but the Holy Spirit will manifest itself in me through other avenues. Sorry, but i'm going to play the doubting Thomas here. I've not heard one bit of physical evidence with my own ears that tongues are still in effect today. I"m not doubting the Power of God, however that particular gift has not had to be used in my presence before. God Bless.

Joshua

"Man is never sufficiently touched and affected by the awareness of his lowly state until he has compared himself with God's majesty" - John Calvin
phpentecostal

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2005, 02:00:12 PM »

Wow,
Someone said
"Speaking in Tongues is a spiritual gift from God and is absolutely still working in followers of Christ today. It is physical proof that the Holy Spirit is within you. Not everyone is blessed with this particular gift but everyone has a special gift that was meant for them."
3 Recieve Jesus as Lord and Saviour of you life. (This means you belong to HIM.)
Part 3 is the point when you receive the Holy Spirit because you can not receive Jesus but not receive the Holy Spirit. We agree they are one. So to say that if one does not speak in tounges the Holy Spirit is not abiding is very false.
Now this was a big issue then as it is now. That is the whole reason of this scripture that was earlier posted, yet totally ignored.
28First, God chose some people to be apostles and prophets and teachers for the church. But he also chose some to work miracles or heal the sick or help others or be leaders or speak different kinds of languages. 29Not everyone is an apostle. Not everyone is a prophet. Not everyone is a teacher. Not everyone can work miracles. 30Not everyone can heal the sick. Not everyone can speak different kinds of languages. Not everyone can tell what these languages mean. 31I want you to desire the best gifts. [a] So I will show you a much better way.
Please let GOD's word speak for it self. Please do not close your mind and be unteachable because we can never know everthing about GOD.
I am not saying no one has tounges, I am saying that it is not the evidence of the Holy Spirit. So if you don't have the gift, then that is because GOD did not give it to you and that is HIS will.
Amen.

Sorry but I disagree. In John Chapter 3 we find that where Nicodemus came to Jesus to ask what he must do. Jesus answers and says that you MUST be born of the water and and the spirit to enter heaven.
Therefore baptism is essential to salvation and be born of the spirit is to recieve the Holy Ghost which is with the evidence of speaking in tongues. Acts chapter 2 says they were ALL filled with the Holy Ghost and spoke with other tongues. Not a few speaking in tongues, a few prophecying but ALL were speaking in tongues.
Jemidon2004

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2005, 03:33:36 PM »

Re-read the Scriptures ph...it's clear that NOT ALL have the gift of tongues. Ephesians 4

7But to each one of us grace was given according to the measure of Christ's gift. 8Therefore He says:
       "When He ascended on high,
       He led captivity captive,
       And gave gifts to men."

9(Now this, "He ascended"--what does it mean but that He also first[c] descended into the lower parts of the earth? 10He who descended is also the One who ascended far above all the heavens, that He might fill all things.)

11And He Himself gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, and some pastors and teachers, 12for the equipping of the saints for the work of ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ, 13till we all come to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a perfect man, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ; 14that we should no longer be children, tossed to and fro and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, in the cunning craftiness of deceitful plotting, 15but, speaking the truth in love, may grow up in all things into Him who is the head--Christ-- 16from whom the whole body, joined and knit together by what every joint supplies, according to the effective working by which every part does its share, causes growth of the body for the edifying of itself in love.

Notice what it says: "And He Himself gave to SOME to be Apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, some pastors and some teachers" These are the various GIFTS given unto the Believer. In no way does Scripture support that Tongues were given to ALL believers...simply because it was a sign gift. We each have recieved Grace, but not all of us have the gift of tongues. i know this because I, myself, don't have that gift. i'm aware of what gifts I do have and what gifts I do not have...i've grown in my walk enough to realize what Spiritual gifts the Lord has given me and which ones he has not. Here's another verse that just came to mind:

1 Corinthians 12

1 Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I do not want you to be ignorant: 2You know that[a] you were Gentiles, carried away to these dumb idols, however you were led. 3Therefore I make known to you that no one speaking by the Spirit of God calls Jesus accursed, and no one can say that Jesus is Lord except by the Holy Spirit.
    4There are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit. 5There are differences of ministries, but the same Lord. 6And there are diversities of activities, but it is the same God who works all in all. 7But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to each one for the profit of all: 8for to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, to another the word of knowledge through the same Spirit, 9to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healings by the same Spirit, 10to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another discerning of spirits, to another different kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues. 11But one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually as He wills.

Unity and Diversity in One Body
    (A) 12For as the body is one and has many members, but all the members of that one body, being many, are one body, so also is Christ. 13For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body--whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free--and have all been made to drink into[c] one Spirit. 14For in fact the body is not one member but many.
    15If the foot should say, "Because I am not a hand, I am not of the body," is it therefore not of the body? 16And if the ear should say, "Because I am not an eye, I am not of the body," is it therefore not of the body? 17If the whole body were an eye, where would be the hearing? If the whole were hearing, where would be the smelling? 18But now God has set the members, each one of them, in the body just as He pleased. 19And if they were all one member, where would the body be?

20But now indeed there are many members, yet one body. 21And the eye cannot say to the hand, "I have no need of you"; nor again the head to the feet, "I have no need of you." 22No, much rather, those members of the body which seem to be weaker are necessary. 23And those members of the body which we think to be less honorable, on these we bestow greater honor; and our unpresentable parts have greater modesty, 24but our presentable parts have no need. But God composed the body, having given greater honor to that part which lacks it, 25that there should be no schism in the body, but that the members should have the same care for one another. 26And if one member suffers, all the members suffer with it; or if one member is honored, all the members rejoice with it.

27Now you are the body of Christ, and members individually. 28And God has appointed these in the church: first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, administrations, varieties of tongues. 29Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Are all workers of miracles? 30Do all have gifts of healings? Do all speak with tongues? Do all interpret? 31But earnestly desire the best[d] gifts. And yet I show you a more excellent way.

That right there shows that not ALL have the gift of Tongues. I strongly suggest re-reading what Scripture has to say before making such a statement because it can be seen as erroneous and can maybe cause a stumbling block in another's path. God Bless

Joshua

"Man is never sufficiently touched and affected by the awareness of his lowly state until he has compared himself with God's majesty" - John Calvin
Mrs.Chosen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2005, 03:38:50 PM »

I find that people who believe what you believe have a hard time coming out of the book of ACTS.
Is 1 Corinthians even relevent to you . How can you ignor a very detailed scriptures as this?

Now if you can explain Acts, can you break this one down for me also. Hey I have the Holy Spirit and you nor any other person can tell me I don't. The Holy Spirit is more than tounges, He is Power!!!!! If you receive Jesus you also receive the Holy Spirit and the evidence of that is The Bible. The Bible Tells Me So!!

Amen.
Please explain 1Corin.12:28-31

In Christ Jesus Love,

L.Gore
Bronzesnake
« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2005, 04:02:27 PM »

Amen to Mrs.Chosen and Jemidon!  Cheesy

Bronzesnake
Mrs.Chosen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: February 17, 2005, 04:22:11 PM »

Quote:
"3Therefore I make known to you that no one speaking by the Spirit of God calls Jesus accursed, and no one can say that Jesus is Lord except by the Holy Spirit. "

JESUS IS LORD JESUS IS LORD JESUS IS LORD JESUS IS GOD JESUS IS LORD GOD
« Last Edit: February 17, 2005, 04:24:02 PM by Mrs.Chosen » Logged

In Christ Jesus Love,

L.Gore
musicllover

Seek ye first the kingdom of God.........

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 19, 2005, 03:04:55 AM »

Wow,
Someone said
Amen.

Sorry but I disagree. In John Chapter 3 we find that where Nicodemus came to Jesus to ask what he must do. Jesus answers and says that you MUST be born of the water and and the spirit to enter heaven.
Therefore baptism is essential to salvation and be born of the spirit is to recieve the Holy Ghost which is with the evidence of speaking in tongues. Acts chapter 2 says they were ALL filled with the Holy Ghost and spoke with other tongues. Not a few speaking in tongues, a few prophecying but ALL were speaking in tongues.

Php,
     I am afraid this is the opinion that has cast a shadow on the gifts. And that many, including myself find very offensive. I have been blessed with the gift of praying in tongues, and I don't believe the scriptures supports your understanding or teaching at all.  What your saying here is If you don't have such and such gift, and you haven't been batized then you don't get into heaven.... BUT, excuse me while I (you) take time to pat yourself on the back...... because you do speak in tongues, and because you got wet and called it a baptism.

Please read the scriptures in its complete context. You've just took everything that Jesus Christ did on the cross and gave it several prerequisites that are not support by the scriptures as a whole, .......
the way you your teaching there should be a signed posted at they the gates of Heaven.
BEFORE ENTERING INTO THE PEARLY GATES (putting aside the fact that Jesus Died for ALL)
Rule 1.
          You must speak in Tongues
Rule 2.
          You must be baptized with water
Rule 3.
           If you don't have any of the above take a left and watch that last step.

You don't honestly believe that everyone is doom to the gates of hell because they don't speak in tongues or not been baptized do you?

musicllover
« Last Edit: February 19, 2005, 04:54:05 PM by musicllover » Logged

musicllover
gary cook

born again

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 19, 2005, 04:00:12 PM »

Being saved is the new birth ,nothing more or less. Everything  else is us obeying or gifts from the HOLY SPIRIT . We receive everything by FAITH .But ?1ST we must believe in order to recieve .We cheat ourselves by not believing .But all things from the HOLY SPIRIT is spiritual .And is 1st recieved by faith in our spirit .We can not see our spirit ,with our fleshly eyes . But walking in our spirit ?We see much and know more .And can hear our LORD clearly . Very simple ,yet hard for us to see ? Because all things of the LORD are simple .Yet we try to understand with our minds and can not ,with out the HOLY SPIRIT revealing these things .Because they are not of this world .As we are NOT of thios world .We are new creatures ,born of GOD .Like our LORD JESUS CHRIST . We have great power ! But until we grow spiritually more like JESUS CHRIST ,HE will not reveal these things to us .Because we could not handle them .HE shows us as much as we can recieve .HE is willing to reveal all .But can not !

lean not to your own understanding ,the just live by faith ,you do not need to be taught of any man ,the HOLY  SPIRIT will teach you everything .We are NEW CREATURES IN CHRIST JESUS .NOT OF THIS WORLD .WE ARE AS OUR LORD .HE WILL RETURN SOON FOR HIS BRIDE .Rev 1:6  And hath made us kings and priests
phpentecostal

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 21, 2005, 01:31:26 PM »

It you are right and speaking in tongues isnt for everyone then why did Jesus say in verse 17 of Mark Chapter 16 And these signs shall follow them that believe: IN my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues.

He didnt say some were going to he said it for everone that believes.
Mrs.Chosen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: February 21, 2005, 02:27:54 PM »

Quote:
"3Therefore I make known to you that no one speaking by the Spirit of God calls Jesus accursed, and no one can say that Jesus is Lord except by the Holy Spirit. "

JESUS IS LORD JESUS IS LORD JESUS IS LORD JESUS IS GOD JESUS IS LORD GOD .
tHE BIBLE ALSO SAYS NO ONE CAN SAY JESUS IS LORD EXCEPT BY THE HOLY SPIRIT.

STUDY BIBLES ARE VERY HANDY WHEN YOU CAN INTERPRET SCRIPTURES FOR YOUR SELF. I HIGHLY RECOMEND THEM TO ALL THAT ARE  IN THE DARK CONCERNING THESE THINGS.

In Christ Jesus Love,

L.Gore
Jemidon2004

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 21, 2005, 02:35:40 PM »

The word used in Mark 16:17 is Glossa which means : tongue, known language. In this passage we see that the usage of "tongue" means that they will be able to speak a foreign language that they had not studied or had know knowledge of how to form words. It would be as if I could speak fluent Japanese and I have not studied the language at all. That's what was mean t in Mark 16:17. As well as He said THEY, He didn't say ALL will speak with tongues. God Bless

Joshua

Reba
« Reply #72 on: February 21, 2005, 02:40:15 PM »

It you are right and speaking in tongues isnt for everyone then why did Jesus say in verse 17 of Mark Chapter 16 And these signs shall follow them that believe: IN my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues.

Mar 16:17  And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
Mar 16:18  They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.  

Any one here ever drink a deadly thing any one here every pray for the sick and they did not recover?

musicllover

Seek ye first the kingdom of God.........

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 21, 2005, 07:40:11 PM »

Php,
     Can you please answer my question, you honestly believe if you don't speak in tongues, and have never been batized that you won't get into heaven?

musicllover

musicllover
gary cook

born again

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 21, 2005, 10:42:35 PM »

yes ,got bit by a copper head ,been dead 2 times .pretty much everything ,then more .like GODS new rest and the rivers of living water .many things and miracles in my life .I think maybe the LORD had to reveal more to me ,yet HE WANTS others to know these things are for them .My boy had died and my mother .I prayed for both and different times .They both came back .I was dead before the new birtrh and once after the new birth .I saw NEW JERUSALEM heading toward earth in 1976 .I never entered the city ,but saw it from outside it .had I entered ?I may not have wanted to return here .Have mixed feeling now .Thinking I should of stayed .But have 2 more kids since that death .
« Last Edit: February 21, 2005, 11:00:57 PM by gary cook » Logged

lean not to your own understanding ,the just live by faith ,you do not need to be taught of any man ,the HOLY  SPIRIT will teach you everything .We are NEW CREATURES IN CHRIST JESUS .NOT OF THIS WORLD .WE ARE AS OUR LORD .HE WILL RETURN SOON FOR HIS BRIDE .Rev 1:6  And hath made us kings and priests
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the