Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:00:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286807 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  General Theology (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Author of Matthew
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Author of Matthew  (Read 1031 times)
Shwa

View Profile
« on: November 03, 2004, 03:08:40 PM »

There has been some discussion on who the author of Matthew is.  Some believe it truly is Matthew, while others want to keep the author anonymous.  Some even believe Matthew was written a good 200 years after Christ's death and resurrection...

If Matthew did not write Matthew at the time of Christ, then the firsthand accounts recorded would no longer seem valid.  I haven't researched it yet, but could anyone direct me to evidence that Matthew indeed did write the first Gospel?  I have a brother in Christ who is currently in a Bible class with a seemingly atheist professor, and is now having doubts about his beliefs...
Evangelist
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2004, 04:38:34 PM »

Shwa:
There are a number of excellent studies concerning not only authorship, but also date. The following link is just one.

It is common among the intelligentsia to cast aspersions upon both authorship and dating, but invariably those who do run into several brick walls that they choose not to see.

Of first consideration is that the early (2nd century) church fathers and leaders without fail attributed the gospels to their named authors. Implicit in this attribution is the understanding that in all probability, each of the "authors" (with the possible exception of Luke) had an "amanuensis", or scribe who actually did the writing, while the "author" dictated the text.

Secondly, there is NO extant evidence of any type to support the contention of anonymous authorship, or even the late dates presumed by some.

Third, in the majority of the cases where authorship is questioned, it is based upon a presupposition....that being that in the body of the text are written details of events that occurred AFTER the death of the alleged author, and it would have been impossible for the author to know of the events. The presupposition is that prophecy (FORE-telling), which is supernatural in origin, is not possible.

The best example that can be given is the approach of the Jesus Seminar "scholars", who claim that Jesus never said anything at all about the destruction of Jerusalem (detailed by Matthew in Mat. 24), therefore the book of Matthew could only have been written post 70 AD, and therefore could not have been Matthew, since he was believed to have been martyred around 62-65 AD.

I have found that most of the arguments against traditional authorship or dating are founded upon rather specious arguments and faulty reasoning, not solid scholarship.

The Gospel of Matthew

BroHank
John 8:12 Ministries  www.john812.com
The Beymers  www.thebeymers.org
Sulfurdolphin

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2004, 07:56:11 PM »

How I understand the formation of the Synoptic Gospels

It is to long to post so hope it helps.

http://www.christian-thinktank.com/litdep3.html

http://www.christian-thinktank.com/stil23.html

Master Index of Subjects and Questions

http://www.christian-thinktank.com/topix.html
bluelake

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2004, 01:29:21 AM »

There has been some discussion on who the author of Matthew is.  Some believe it truly is Matthew, while others want to keep the author anonymous.  Some even believe Matthew was written a good 200 years after Christ's death and resurrection...

If Matthew did not write Matthew at the time of Christ, then the firsthand accounts recorded would no longer seem valid.  I haven't researched it yet, but could anyone direct me to evidence that Matthew indeed did write the first Gospel?  I have a brother in Christ who is currently in a Bible class with a seemingly atheist professor, and is now having doubts about his beliefs...

It would help  to have a good study Bible. You can find them in a Christian Book Store in your area.
My Study Bible tells me that Matthew is the author. It was probably written A.D.60-65 You have to keep in mind that the Bible is the inpired word of God. I have faith that God has looked after his Holy Word.

About your brother? it doesn't appear that he is in a Bible study for Christians. Ask him?  What are the credentials of the professor? It certainly doesn't hurt to be informed what your getting into. Don't you agree?

God bless you,
bluelake Smiley
Raphu

Sojourner

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2004, 09:53:44 PM »

HolY Spirit is the author, IMHO.  Smiley

Hosea 11:10  They shall walk after the LORD: he shall roar like a lion: when he shall roar, then the children shall tremble from the west.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the