Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:22:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286776 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Apologetics (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Thread for Baptist
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for Baptist  (Read 6357 times)
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« on: June 23, 2003, 09:02:04 AM »

Last night, me and a group of friends where talking about Baptist who beleive they are the orginalinal First Centry Church. I have heard before, and read in a few articles (on Baptist site) that Baptist believed. I didn’t believe it until someone in hear actually said this. Anyways, I was wondering with any knows about the Baptist believing they are not Protestant. Is it all Baptist groups, or just a few of the more extreme ones. I ask because I was talking to a few BMA’s last night, and they haven’t even heard this!

Was there ever a time when Common sence was common?
kathleen5

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2003, 09:33:30 AM »

Tibby, I can't speak for the Baptist.  But when I was growing up I was taught the Catholic Church was the first century church and Peter was the first pope.  ha imagine that Wink.  So I guess the Baptist aren't the only ones with this claim.
ollie
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2003, 07:51:15 PM »

Wasn't the church of the first century the same church as revealed to us in the Bible? Christ's church.
chanelle

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2003, 12:19:22 AM »

Baptists believe they are part of the first church, which means "Christ's church", the only true church of believers.  Most baptists do not believe that this only pertains to them but to other denominations as well, but true believers, not just baptists, methodists, catholics,etc.  Baptists are protestant but not the only protestants.  
Saved_4ever
Gold Member

A KJV bible believing Christian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2003, 02:13:04 AM »

Baptists are not protestants.  I can't think of the site now but I will find it later.  Even a RCC priest will tell you baptists are not the same as prtestants.  Protestants came from the RCC, Baptists did not.

servant

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2003, 03:39:50 AM »

Depending on how you define "Protestant," I think you would have to say that Baptists are indeed Protestants. The word literally comes from the word "protest" -- the Protestants were protesting against the Roman Catholic Church of the Middle Ages. The Baptists were one group that grew out of a group of Protestants, I think beginning in the Netherlands, known as the Anabaptists. They drew their name from their primary and supposedly unique declaration that baptism was a symbol of salvation to be performed only by someone old enough to receive and, at least as much as is humanly possible, understand the sacrifice made for us by Christ.

On the other hand, you're certainly right in suggesting that Baptists frequently like to separate themselves from other Protestant denominations in the mainline church. To be honest, I'm not entirely sure why this is the case, but it's also worth pointing out that there is a huge variety of "Baptist" groups, from the Southern Baptists of the U.S. -- George Bush is a good example of this faith -- to a Canadian evangelical group I know of which is almost liberal in their faith -- ALMOST, I say.

I once heard a joke -- from a Baptist pastor and friend of mine, actually -- which went something like this:

A Methodist who had just gone to heaven was met by a Presbyterian as he was staring at a square marked off by very high walls. Behind the walls, the Methodist could hear voices. "Who is behind the wall, and why is there no way in?" he asked the Presbyterian.

"Oh, those are the Baptists," said the Presbyterian. "They think they're the only ones up here."

Smiley
Brother Love
Gold Member

"FAITH ALONE IN CHRIST ALONE"

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2003, 06:01:37 AM »

If I needed to join a religion, I would join the Baptist religion.

Brother Love Smiley

THINGS THAT DIFFER By C.R. Stam
Read it on line for "FREE"

http://www.geocities.com/protestantscot/ttd/ttd_chap1.html

<Smiley))><
questions

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2003, 06:05:08 AM »

Hi Tibby,

Here's something that may be of interest.

Thought you had run away to a new church!

http://www.yellowstone.net/baptist/history.htm

Regards,

questions
Brother Love
Gold Member

"FAITH ALONE IN CHRIST ALONE"

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2003, 05:11:38 AM »

Hi Tibby,

Here's something that may be of interest.

Thought you had run away to a new church!

http://www.yellowstone.net/baptist/history.htm

Regards,

questions

Thanks for the link

Brother Love Smiley

THINGS THAT DIFFER By C.R. Stam
Read it on line for "FREE"

http://www.geocities.com/protestantscot/ttd/ttd_chap1.html

<Smiley))><
Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2003, 05:30:38 AM »

Yes, Brother Love's remark, that they are, or easily become, a religion, seems accurate to me.

The Church of Christ, here in U.S., believes they represent the First Century Church--first century Christianity, as they call it.  But the Cof C seems to be much more strict about water baptism.

Together then with the above remark re: RCC and Peter the first pope..   We now have at least three, claiming first century origins:  RCC, Baptist, and CofC...

But honoestly, I thought Baptists traced theirs TO John the Baptist...

I've heard the question, Are Baptists even Christians?

But, as above too, there are many different kinds of Baptists.

BTW, Tibby,  what is BMA?
Petro
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2003, 01:36:32 PM »

Protestantism, was the basis for the Reformation, the 95 Theses, proposed by Martin Luther were propositions defended in argument, which he hoped would curb the papal abuses and the sale of indulgences by church officials.
when he nailed his Ninety-Five Theses to the door of the Wittenberg Church.

Luther himself saw the Reformation as something far more important than a revolt against ecclesiastical abuses. He believed it was a fight for the gospel. Luther even stated that he would have happily yielded every point of dispute to the Pope, if only the Pope had affirmed the gospel.

And at the heart of the gospel, in Luther's estimation, was the doctrine of justification by faith--the teaching that Christ's own righteousness is imputed to those who believe, and on that ground alone, they are accepted by God.

Of course we know "the rest of the story", since the Catholic  Church still to this very day, sales indulgences, in the way of offerings up for a mass or series of masses, for the deceased, for which the families of the dead pay.

As for Baptist, I understand the Baptist church to be of a variety similar to the "Heines 57" soups, it depends which group one belongs to, which will determine, what one believes;
On the one extreme end, you have the ultra liberal baptists, while on the other hand you have the Conservative Baptist, the later espousing and teaching to sound doctrine, these to my knowledge do not, consider themselves to the original 1st century church, and do consider themselves born out of the reformation.

Usually any visible church which considers itself to be the one and only true chuch, uses a formula, tying itself to some authoritarian figure who transferred or conferred the authority given by Christ to the Apostles.

In the case of Othodoxy, they have the same pope, the Roman Catholic church uses, to establish their authority, while some of the cults, use a perceived ordained prophet who is directly commissioned by  God himself, as an authoritative  figure, and some even claiming the Holy Spirit, as one who commissions the observances of God and the things of God.

Blessings,

Petro
« Last Edit: June 25, 2003, 02:03:06 PM by Petro » Logged

Ambassador4Christ
Gold Member

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2003, 01:41:52 PM »

Protestantism, was the basis for the Reformation, the 95 Theses, proposed by Martin Luther were propositions defended in argument, which he hoped would curb the papal abuses and the sale of indulgences by church officials.
when he nailed them nailed his Ninety-Five Theses to the door of the Wittenberg Church.

Martin  Luther dealt the symbolic blow that began the Reformation when he  That document contained an attack on
But Luther himself saw the Reformation as something far more important than a revolt against ecclesiastical abuses. He believed it was a fight for the gospel. Luther even stated that he would have happily yielded every point of dispute to the Pope, if only the Pope had affirmed the gospel.

And at the heart of the gospel, in Luther's estimation, was the doctrine of justification by faith--the teaching that Christ's own righteousness is imputed to those who believe, and on that ground alone, they are accepted by God.

Of course we know "the rest of the story", since the Catholic  Church still to this very day, sales indulgences, in the way of offerings up for a mass or series of masses, for the deceased, for which the families of the dead pay.

As for Baptist, I understand the Baptist church to be of a variety similar to the "Heines 57" soups, it depends which group one belongs to, which will determine, what one believes;
On the one extreme end, you have the ultra liberal baptists, while on the other hand you have the Conservative Baptist, the later espousing and teaching to sound doctrine, these to my knowledge do not, consider themselves to the original 1st century church, and do consider themselves born out of the reformation.

Usually any visible church which considers itself to be the one and only true chuch, uses a formula, tying itself to some authoritarian figure who transferred or conferred the authority given by Christ to the Apostles.

In the case of Othodoxy, they have the same pope, the Roman Catholic church uses, to establish their authority, while some of the cults, use a perceived ordained prophet who is directly commissioned by  God himself, as an authoritative  figure, and some even claiming the Holy Spirit, as one who commissions the observances of God and the things of God.

Blessings,

Petro

Thanks Petrom very good  Grin

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

http://forums.christiansunite.com/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=550

Galatians 4:16   Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2003, 04:29:51 PM »

Sorry it took so long to reply, I've been out for a few days.

kathleen5- Yeah, pretty much EVERY church believe they are a modern model of the first Century church, But only churches like Baptist, Catholics, and Eastern Orthodoxy bring it so far as to say they WERE the original church, descended directly from Paul and Peter and the rest of the gang.

Sympophone- I believe the BMA stands for the Baptist Missionary Alliance, or something like that. They are fairy new branch of the SBC (Southern Baptist Convention). The BMA is big here where I live. They where founded in Arkansas. I live in a town on the Northeast side of Texas, where the BMA’s home seminary is located. BMA, in sort, are about the same as SBC, only they don’t agree with who the SBC using there missionary money. Also, the BMA are WAY heavier into Fundamentalism them SBC.

Saved_4ever- What type of Baptist are you? I’m guessing you’re a Fundamentalism/bible Baptist, right? Please find that web site when you get a chance.

Petro- The Eastern Orthodoxy have their own Patriarch, I’m pretty sure they don’t follow the pope.

Everyone else- Thanks for the info, guys. In a town were the Baptist churches outnumber all of the other groups, it helps to get all the info you can find.

Was there ever a time when Common sence was common?
Seven_Tides
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2003, 05:18:48 PM »

How about...

Pentacostals?
Anglicans?
Lutherans?
Methodists?
Unitarians?
Free Reformists?
Mormons? ( not christians in a sense )
Christadelphians?
Presbytarians?

Didn't all of these come from Protestantism?

Ambassador4Christ
Gold Member

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2003, 07:09:04 PM »

Forgive me, I cant stop myself  Grin

Born a Baptist

A Baptist man lived in a traditional Catholic
neighborhood. Every Friday, the Catholics were
driven crazy because, while they were morosely eating
fish, the Baptist was outside barbecuing steaks.
The Catholics worked on the Baptist, attempting to
convert him to Catholicism. Finally, after much
pleading and some threats, the Catholics succeeded.
They took the Baptist to a priest who sprinkled
Holy Water on the man while saying, "Born a Baptist,
Raised a Baptist, Now a Catholic!"
The Catholics were ecstatic but this was short-lived
for, the next Friday evening, the scent of barbecue
once again drifted through the neighborhood.
The Catholics all rushed to the ex-Baptist's house
to remind him of his new diet.
They found him standing over the cooking steaks,
sprinkling water on the meat and saying, "Born a
cow, Raised a cow, Now a fish!"  Grin Grin Grin

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

http://forums.christiansunite.com/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=550

Galatians 4:16   Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the