Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 10:25:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286806 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Apologetics (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Thread for Baptist
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for Baptist  (Read 6416 times)
Seven_Tides
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2003, 09:16:16 PM »

Ha, ha?  Huh
Broken

xLOSERx

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2003, 06:00:32 PM »

Anglicans are not considered to be protestants.
They're in the middle between Catholics and protestants - because you can get both very low churches, similar to the evangelical denominations, and the Anglo-Catholic churches - which are pretty much identical to Catholic ones save only that they do not recognise the Pope as the supreme authority. On every other issue these churches agree with Catholics.

And God will say:
Depart from me I never knew you!
I never knew you!
Never.

Man disavows, and Deity disowns me:
Hell might afford my miseries a shelter;
Therefore Hell keeps her ever-hungry mouths all
Bolted against me.
-Cowper
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2003, 09:17:42 PM »

Anglicans are not considered to be protestants.
They're in the middle between Catholics and protestants - because you can get both very low churches, similar to the evangelical denominations, and the Anglo-Catholic churches - which are pretty much identical to Catholic ones save only that they do not recognise the Pope as the supreme authority. On every other issue these churches agree with Catholics.

I know some Methodists who think the same thing. They think they are the perfect mix of Protestants and Catholics. Then again, the Methodists did come from the Anglican church...

Was there ever a time when Common sence was common?
Broken

xLOSERx

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2003, 11:15:41 PM »

And nearly went back to it, Tibby.

In the late 80's, early 90's, the Methodists were thinking of becoming part of the Anglican church again, so much so that they actually dissolved themselves. But then, in 1991, the Church of England decided to admit women priests - but also instituted "flying bishops", who had never ordained a woman, to serve churches and ordain men who did not want their bishop to have ordained a woman. The Methodists disagreed with this (as did just about everyone else, from both sides of the fence!), as they already admit women ministers, but have a total committment to the issue, and so they're still a separate church.

There you go, a bit of church history for you Smiley Actually, I like the methodists - unlike the Church of England, where I come from, the Methodists are the church of the poor, and have always stood up for workers, and workers' rights - their earliest converts were among the miners and fishermen. Actually I know a funny story about that: John Wesley came to Newcastle (in the North of England) and tried to convert the keelmen (they ferried coal down the Tyne to waiting ships). The keelmen were famed for being irreligious, and turned on him. A howling mob chased him, and they were going to throw him into the river when a fish-wife appeared, flung her arm round him and yelled "If any of you touch my canny man, I'll gut you!" Hee hee. I've always found the image of Wesley being defended by one of those big, brawny, loud women rather funny!

And God will say:
Depart from me I never knew you!
I never knew you!
Never.

Man disavows, and Deity disowns me:
Hell might afford my miseries a shelter;
Therefore Hell keeps her ever-hungry mouths all
Bolted against me.
-Cowper
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2003, 01:16:54 AM »

That is rather interesting Broken. I didn't know that.

But I still want to know about the baptist! Grin Come on, guys give me some meat, some leget web sites and cites!

Brother Love
Gold Member

"FAITH ALONE IN CHRIST ALONE"

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2003, 06:35:54 AM »

But I still want to know about the baptist! Grin Come on, guys give me some meat, some leget web sites and cites!

Tibby, what is your tag?

Brother Love Smiley

THINGS THAT DIFFER By C.R. Stam
Read it on line for "FREE"

http://www.geocities.com/protestantscot/ttd/ttd_chap1.html

<Smiley))><
Saved_4ever
Gold Member

A KJV bible believing Christian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2003, 06:38:59 AM »

Are leget websites anything like liggit (legitimate) websites?  If so i will try to remember to email my friend and ask for the website/s.

Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2003, 10:33:20 AM »

Yeah, what he said! lol, same difference. Get me a liggit web site, please  Grin

Saved_4ever
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2003, 03:23:57 PM »

Here ya go....

The priest's comments on Protestantism vs. Biblical Fundamentalism can be accessed from this page:  http://www.epiphanychurch.org/question/question.htm

Here is the specific link to his answer to the question, What is Protestantism:  http://www.epiphanychurch.org/question/question7.htm

Here is the specific link to his answer to the question, What is Biblical Fundamentalism:
http://www.epiphanychurch.org/question/question8.htm

Lot's of other interesting things on the directory page.  Check it out!

The info on Luther and his hatred of the ana-Baptists can be found in "The History of Baptists" printed by Lehigh Valley Baptist Bible Institute.  Emmaus, PA 18049.  Page 134 and following.

Enjoy

Brother Love
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2003, 05:27:22 AM »

Here ya go....

The priest's comments on Protestantism vs. Biblical Fundamentalism can be accessed from this page:  http://www.epiphanychurch.org/question/question.htm

Here is the specific link to his answer to the question, What is Protestantism:  http://www.epiphanychurch.org/question/question7.htm

Here is the specific link to his answer to the question, What is Biblical Fundamentalism:
http://www.epiphanychurch.org/question/question8.htm

Lot's of other interesting things on the directory page.  Check it out!

The info on Luther and his hatred of the ana-Baptists can be found in "The History of Baptists" printed by Lehigh Valley Baptist Bible Institute.  Emmaus, PA 18049.  Page 134 and following.

Enjoy

Thanks Brother

Brother Love Smiley

<Smiley))><
Brother Love
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2003, 05:28:40 AM »

Tibby, what is your tag?

Brother Love Smiley

Tibby what is your tag?

Brother Love Smiley

<Smiley))><
Psalm 119

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2003, 04:27:49 PM »

Tibby,

As a former member of both an independent and Southern Baptist Church here are a few insights.

1) The Independent Baptist Church is legalistic in many ways.... yet they do have some truth. The three sermons I always heard were on the "rapture", tithing, and eternal security. There was real no emphasis on personal holiness, rather outside appearances. The "Old" Testament was treated more as an historical document ,than having applicabilty for today (doctrine of dispensationalism) Much of their doctrine is based on the book of Romans ("The Romans Road"). Many Independent Baptist Churches have Pastor's that lord it over the congregation; rather than having a servants heart. Many Pastor's lack personal and corporate responsibility.( However, there is one Independent Baptist pastor in Georgia that is probably the best preacher I have ever heard....he preaches in the style of preachers like Jonathan Edwards, and the Puritan type preachers. He is the exception not the rule)

2) The Southern Baptist Church for the most part is liberal. They do require new members in their denomination to be baptized ( even if you were born again and baptized previously). It's like your not "officially saved" until you're baptized into their denomination. Again you will hear alot of sermons on the "rapture", tithing, and eternal security.....along with the "Romans Road". The SBC has had several "homosexual congregations" (or those who accept the radical homosexaul agenda) disfellowshipped. There appears to be a continued spiritual decline in the SBC, although there are a few churches that are serious about their walk with God.

3) The American Baptist Church is a member of The World Council of Churches ( a marxist organization). They are pro-abortion and pro-homosexuality. There are no fitting words for them....except they do not belong to the Church of the Living God.

It is correct that the Baptists have never considered themselves Protestants. They were not part of the reformation. But with most denominations....whether Church of God, Church of Christ, Baptists, etc. there is an arrogance that they are the true Church.

The real truth is that there are so many denominations because there are parts of the Scripture that people have chosen to dismiss. Such as accepting the "New" Testament as being valid for today, but not the "Old" (thus you have the Church of Christ) Or those who baptize babies.....yet there's no Scripture to back this practice.

Wouldn't it be great if those who love Jesus could just be called Christians....as they were first called in Antioch?

Psalm 119
Saved_4ever
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2003, 06:14:03 PM »

The first part of your little decree is flawed here :
The Independent Baptist Church is legalistic in many ways

There is no "Independant Baptist church"  There are independant Baptist churches.  So just because the ones in your area (the south apparently) only seem to have three different types of sermons and are legalistic means nothing but your area has no real good churches.  The whole point of being independant is that there is no central authority.  Every church is INDEPENDANT of the others.  The whole problem with most other denominations is that they have a central authority who "declares" the "official" beliefs of the group.  Not biblical in any way.  One will notice that every church in the NT was dealt with seperately.  They all had their strengths and weaknesses etc.

There is nothing wrong with dispensationalism except a lot of peoples understanding of it.  Apparently yours in incorrect as well.  That is if you believe what you said about it.

Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2003, 08:28:16 PM »

Thank you, Saved4Ever.

Yep, Psalm 119, Wouldn't it be great if those who love Jesus could just be called Christians....as they were first called in Antioch?

Psalm 119

I think the wide variety and extent of "Christianity" indicates its "ripeness" for the picking.

With news and events now going the way of all flesh, I'm thinking we are going to get this chance--to "just be called Christians...as they were in Antioch"!!

Those true believers in all branches or varities will show themselves, as the others begin to drift away....

"After this many of his disciples drew back and no longer went about with him."  John 6:66

Lord Jesus help us to stand in that Day.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2003, 09:10:01 PM by Symphony » Logged
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2003, 09:43:24 PM »

Thanks guys, this is really clearing things up. lol, keep arguing!

Psalm 119- Can you get me some SBC sites that say they are not protestant? In fact, does ANYONE know the SBC site, and if so, what part of the site should I look at to find there part where they say they are not protestant. I’m not denying what anyone is saying, I agree, Baptist are known for saying they are not protestant. I know this, but some friend of mine don’t, and are still clamoring for “credible” info.

Brother love- I’m not trying to ignore you, I just don’t have a clue what your talking about! lol, my tag? What do you mean?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the