Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 09:18:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286804 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Books (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Christian Fiction Books
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Christian Fiction Books  (Read 21104 times)
Brother Jerry
Global Moderator
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2006, 03:51:47 PM »

Exactly PR.

There is a great difference in knowing what is evil and immersing yourself in evil.

I do not have to watch the show Mindfreak to know Chris Angel is no angel.  And because of that I do not watch the show.  Does magicians and illusionists fascinate me.  Sure I love a good magic act.  But I can tell just from the commercials and the one episode I did watch, that his act is not of God.  Thus I do not watch.

The verse you quoted in 2Co 6:17.  Notice that it did not say that we are to shelter ourselves from the outside world.  Because in order to know not to touch an unclean thing we have to know how to identify that unclean thing.  And the Bible teaches us that.  We know that if it is not from God it is not clean.  And that if it is from the devil then it is filth.  God gives us the discernment we need to stay clear of that which may lead us astray. 

I myself am to much like a religious scientist.  If I see something I do not understand or cannot explain by the glorious natural laws that God created.  Then more than likely it is not of God and is from Satan and I do not want any part of it.  That is like ghosts and hauntings.  I believe they are real.  But I do not believe that there is any good in any of them, because if it were a saved soul it would be in heaven.  And if it were a lost soul then it would be in Hell, and God has no need to send angels to haunt so they must be devils.  And thus I stay clear.

Sincerely
Brother Jerry

------
I am like most fathers.  I, like most, want more for my children than I have.

I am unlike most fathers.  What I would like my children to have more of is crowns to lay at Jesus feet.
AngelFriend

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2006, 04:13:03 PM »

I love to read and I read alot of books. Reading Christian fiction is ok with me. I don't know if this book was brought up or not but I'll ask anyway. I hope I am doing this the right way. I was just wondering what everyone thought about the Left Behind series by Tim Lahaye and Jerry B. Jenkins. I have read the whole series and I thought it was very good. I have read each book about 4 times already.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2006, 12:10:56 AM »

Hello AngelFriend,

I haven't read the books myself, but I have heard many opinions about them. Some Christians thought the books were great, and some Christians were very critical of the books. I really think that the same is true of many things, some with good reasons, and some with little or no reasons.

Someone could write a book about divisions among Christians, Christians fighting other Christians, and try to address why we have so many tags, labels, and denominations. Whoever wrote the book could expect some criticism.   Cheesy 

Love In Christ,
Tom

Matthew 22:36-40 NASB  "Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?" And He said to him, " 'YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND.' "This is the great and foremost commandment. "The second is like it, 'YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF.' "On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophets."

Hary

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2006, 08:18:06 AM »

I was just wondering what everyone thought about the Left Behind series by Tim Lahaye and Jerry B. Jenkins. I have read the whole series and I thought it was very good. I have read each book about 4 times already.

I don't know if I brought this up in this topic of another, but yes I have read all the Left Behind books except the middle prequal. The one thing I say is that they are only there interpretation of what the end times will be like and not neccessary correct. but it does make interesting reading and one thing is that I deffinetly don't want to be around in those times.  Wink

1 Timothy 4:12
Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2006, 12:02:26 AM »

I don't know if I brought this up in this topic of another, but yes I have read all the Left Behind books except the middle prequal. The one thing I say is that they are only there interpretation of what the end times will be like and not neccessary correct. but it does make interesting reading and one thing is that I deffinetly don't want to be around in those times.  Wink

Hello Hary,

I believe strongly in the Rapture, but there are some Christians who don't. There are actually some Christians who call the Rapture doctrine heresy. I really don't understand that at all because I think the Bible is very clear about the Rapture. Those who call it heresy usually start out by saying that the word "Rapture" isn't in the Bible, and it isn't. "Caught up" to meet the LORD in the air is how the Bible refers to this, and "Rapture" is a reasonable term derived from the root of the ancient language.

I really don't care what folks call it - I simply know that all saved people will spend eternity with JESUS.

KEEP LOOKING UP!

THE RAPTURE WILL BE A REALITY!

1 Thessalonians 4:13 NASB  But we do not want you to be uninformed, brethren, about those who are asleep, so that you will not grieve as do the rest who have no hope.

1 Thessalonians 4:14 NASB  For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so God will bring with Him those who have fallen asleep in Jesus.

1 Thessalonians 4:15 NASB  For this we say to you by the word of the Lord, that we who are alive and remain until the coming of the Lord, will not precede those who have fallen asleep.

1 Thessalonians 4:16 NASB  For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first.

1 Thessalonians 4:17 NASB  Then we who are alive and remain will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we shall always be with the Lord.

1 Thessalonians 4:18 NASB  Therefore comfort one another with these words.

1 Corinthians 15:50 NASB  Now I say this, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; nor does the perishable inherit the imperishable.

1 Corinthians 15:51 NASB  Behold, I tell you a mystery; we will not all sleep, but we will all be changed,

1 Corinthians 15:52 NASB  in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet; for the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed.

1 Corinthians 15:53 NASB  For this perishable must put on the imperishable, and this mortal must put on immortality.

1 Corinthians 15:54 NASB  But when this perishable will have put on the imperishable, and this mortal will have put on immortality, then will come about the saying that is written, "DEATH IS SWALLOWED UP in victory.

1 Corinthians 15:55 NASB  "O DEATH, WHERE IS YOUR VICTORY? O  DEATH, WHERE IS YOUR STING?"

1 Corinthians 15:56 NASB  The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law;

1 Corinthians 15:57 NASB  but thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

1 Corinthians 15:58 NASB  Therefore, my beloved brethren, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your toil is not in vain in the Lord.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Josprel

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 25, 2006, 10:12:56 PM »

"Pilgrim's Progress" is a Christian Fiction book.  Those among you who don't advocate Christian books, what say you of this?

Josprel
« Last Edit: December 25, 2006, 10:17:38 PM by Josprel » Logged
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2006, 05:48:41 PM »

Hello Josprel,

I think that I read Pilgrim's Progress about 40 years ago. Project Guttenberg offers free access to probably all of John Bunyan's works, including Pilgrim's Progress, and I would like to read it again. I have such a huge list of things that I want to read and study that it's hard to find the time. I'm retired and disabled, so I have plenty of time. I do read other books, but I spend most of my time with the Bible. There are many wonderful books for Christians to read. I think that the main point that some wanted to make in this thread is the Holy Bible is and should be the most important book in a Christian's life. I'm not suggesting that other books should be excluded unless they fall into the category of garbage and false teaching. By "garbage", I would be talking about sex novels and other like trash stuff that is destructive to a Christian's walk in the spirit. Regarding "false teaching", I also know that many books other than the Bible confuse, mislead, and misrepresent the Holy Bible. There are many horrible and recent examples that are nothing but lies and blasphemy (i.e. Da Vinci Code). I feel very sad that many lost people and babes in Christ will read books like this. On the other side of the coin, these horrible books might lead to witnessing and mentoring opportunities. Christians should pray about things like this on a frequent basis and use every opportunity that GOD gives us to share HIS WORD and TRUTH.

From everything I remember, John Bunyan's works are wonderful, inspiring, and about as wholesome and Christian as one could find. I would consider his writings to be timeless treasures and worthy for all Christians to read. Bluntly, I consider John Bunyan to be a mighty man of GOD and would highly recommend any of his writing. From the time that he accepted CHRIST, he literally lived, preached, and wrote for GOD.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Psalms 31:19 NASB  How great is Your goodness, Which You have stored up for those who fear You, Which You have wrought for those who take refuge in You, Before the sons of men!

Willowbirch
Gold Member

He is risen! - He is risen indeed.

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2007, 08:04:19 PM »

"Pilgrim's Progress" is a Christian Fiction book.  Those among you who don't advocate Christian books, what say you of this?

Josprel
When "Pilgrim's Progress" was published, the author's friends and family couldn't believe that he had come out with such a foolish book.  Grin Grin Grin Now we call it Great Christian Literature...

"Man dreams and desires; God broods, and wills, and quickens."
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2007, 10:18:26 PM »

Hello Willowbirch,

Sister, I think that part of the value of reading books like Pilgrim's Progress is realizing how difficult things were for Christians before us. We have things easy and are spoiled in comparison. This is just something else to give thanks for.

It also serves as an illustration about how important historical context is in the Bible. I think that many of us fail to appreciate what horrible prices were paid by Christians before us and how their persecution effected the times. It's fascinating just to consider their ways of life in earlier times, what their concerns were, and what motivated them to do the things they did. Life was hard for Christians and especially hard for preachers. Money, status, and power certainly didn't have anything to do with how John Bunyan lived. I'm chuckling some and wondering how many preachers of today would give up quickly if they faced just 10% of what John Bunyan did. Trials and persecution separates the called from the uncalled pretty quickly. Only GOD can give a man the kind of strength to keep standing in such hard times.

This is one reason why it is so interesting to delve into the historical context of the early Christian church. Play-acting Christians didn't last long because things were just too hard. We have wonderful examples of many who died for their faith. I think immediately of the Apostles and a host of other early Christians who refused to deny their faith in JESUS CHRIST and were martyred. GOD told them to go with the GOOD NEWS, and they went. When they became ill, elderly, and weak - they still went. This is the power of GOD - not men. In fact, this is evidence that GOD and the Holy Bible are an absolute reality. There is really no other way to explain it. Some of the lost might scoff and say - look what it got them - they were killed because of their efforts. What does the Bible say about those who suffer persecution for HIS Sake? Who did they know was waiting for them with open arms? They were simply taken to a BETTER HOPE they had been yearning for.

Love in Christ,
Tom

Psalms 37:39-40 NASB  But the salvation of the righteous is from the LORD; He is their strength in time of trouble. The LORD helps them and delivers them; He delivers them from the wicked and saves them, Because they take refuge in Him.

Willowbirch
Gold Member

He is risen! - He is risen indeed.

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2007, 03:54:50 PM »

I think that part of the value of reading books like Pilgrim's Progress is realizing how difficult things were for Christians before us. We have things easy and are spoiled in comparison. This is just something else to give thanks for.

Before us, and today, too. My family receives a free magazine from "The Voice of the Martyrs" (founded by a persecuted pastor), every month or so; it is a blessing and a challenge to read the stories of people across the world who are currently suffering for their faith and yet rejoicing.

"Man dreams and desires; God broods, and wills, and quickens."
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2007, 05:42:11 PM »

Before us, and today, too. My family receives a free magazine from "The Voice of the Martyrs" (founded by a persecuted pastor), every month or so; it is a blessing and a challenge to read the stories of people across the world who are currently suffering for their faith and yet rejoicing.

Sister,

I get the email version of Voice of the Martyrs, and I recommend it for every Christian. There are FREE subscription links to VOM quite a few places on Christians Unite. It's a wonderful Christian publication that reminds all of us to stop frequently and give thanks for our freedoms to worship, gather, and share the RICHES OF CHRIST.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the