Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 07:51:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286804 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Books (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Christian Fiction Books
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Christian Fiction Books  (Read 21105 times)
Hary

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2006, 09:26:49 AM »

I had not once thought about this topic, whether christian fiction is wrong.

I love to read  and i  see where you are coming from and respect that, I just hadn't seen it from that point of view however i will keep reading christian fiction, because when i'm in the mood to do some light reading i would definialty read a cristian book, then one where the morals and the storyline is not based on how i like my life to be like or what i believe in. To me reading a book is like watching a Tv show except that your mind is making up what you see. You begin to imagine what the characters are like and usually in most of the christian books that i read someone is already a 'born-again' christian and shows the non-believer the real Truth and the Way.

I don't make the books a life but they are just healthy entertainment then watching of reading garbage.

By the way my favourite authors are: Francine Rivers, Dee Henderson, Karen Kingsbury, Trace Peterson and Lori Wick. I don't mind the Left Behind Series but you need to be carefull that you don't take that as legit, it is only their interpertation of the book of revalations and the end times, it might not happen that way at all.

1 Timothy 4:12
Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity.
Tolorah

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2006, 09:51:13 AM »

You dont need to stop reading fiction books just because some peoples personal opinion says you shouldnt!!! Reading about God working in these make believe lives helps us see him in our own lives...things always seem clearer when we see them in other peoples lives rather than our own...some discuss topics that are important to the everyday person and use the bible in correct context to back it up... how often do we see God working in our lives without someone pointing it out or looking back to where we've come from...theres nothing wrong if you dont treat it as though they are really people in these books that really live

A calm sea does not make a skilled sailor
Florida_Catholic

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2006, 08:23:49 PM »

I'm surprised Dan Brown's books have not been brought up in this topic, would you not consider those to fall under the topic of Christian Fiction?
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2006, 09:18:32 PM »

I'm surprised Dan Brown's books have not been brought up in this topic, would you not consider those to fall under the topic of Christian Fiction?

They don't qualify for the name Christian nor do they qualify for fiction .....  anti-Christian garbage would be a better name.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2006, 09:20:18 PM by Pastor Roger » Logged

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2006, 12:09:28 AM »

Florida_Catholic,

Dan Brown's filth could only be mentioned in connection with the devil's lies and blasphemy. You will find the Da Vinci Code mentioned on the forum in this context.

Tolorah

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2006, 05:54:15 AM »

They don't qualify for the name Christian nor do they qualify for fiction .....  anti-Christian garbage would be a better name.

RIGHT ON!!!!   Cheesy

A calm sea does not make a skilled sailor
Brother Jerry
Global Moderator
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2006, 09:24:38 AM »

Not the actual legend.
It does have SOME legend in it; i.e., Lilith being Adam's first wife, and her sin which followed her and gradually devoured her, and her eating her own children...but the legend is more of a background rather than the actual story.

Forgive me Willowbirch but I personally would not classify that as Christian based fiction if the underlying story is in reference to the Lilith myth.  Lilith being Adam's first wife is purely unBiblical and thus would make the story completely unChristian.  Even unJewish if we wanted to get down to it.

As far as reading Christian Fiction I have no problems with it.  As long as the message is Biblical in nature.  I read fiction of all sorts, historical, Christian, science, fantasy, thriller, and even lots of non.  I do not read fast but I read alot at once (have 4 books going now). 

Sincerely
Brother Jerry

------
I am like most fathers.  I, like most, want more for my children than I have.

I am unlike most fathers.  What I would like my children to have more of is crowns to lay at Jesus feet.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2006, 10:03:18 AM »

4 books at the same time?? I would have trouble keeping them separated in my mind! I can only manage two at one time. The Bible and just one other one.

I agree on Lillith. Any book that covers such would be in the same category as the Da Vinci Code  .....  anti-Christian garbage.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Brother Jerry
Global Moderator
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2006, 02:49:35 PM »

Not so bad.  I am usually reading one fictional work, 3 non-fictionaly reference books, and the Good Book.  Like right now I have a fantasy novel I have been reading for like 6 months now and am half way through it.  A book on missions, one about Christian leadership, and another on the book of Romans (for my Sunday School class).

So usually different enough to keep them seperate in my mind.  Every now and then Paul is on a mission to lead a bunch of Christians to some far away land while riding a dragon...but not often Cheesy

Sincerely
Brother Jerry

------
I am like most fathers.  I, like most, want more for my children than I have.

I am unlike most fathers.  What I would like my children to have more of is crowns to lay at Jesus feet.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2006, 03:07:38 PM »

So usually different enough to keep them seperate in my mind.  Every now and then Paul is on a mission to lead a bunch of Christians to some far away land while riding a dragon...but not often Cheesy

Knowing me I would probably have the dragon riding Paul.

Florida_Catholic

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2006, 07:50:44 PM »

I'm no big fiction fan in general, but to answer the original question I don't see how exposing yourself to any idea could be wrong.  Just because I read something does not mean I agree with its message.  In my view, reading and learning only exercise the mind God gave you - be grateful and keep it healthy.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2006, 08:05:01 PM »

To keep it healthy is to keep the garbage out. If you want to keep your physical body healthy I am sure that you would not purposefully go out and eat all kinds of filthy things.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2006, 10:51:17 PM »

Brothers and Sisters,

The devil does use all kinds of media to create doubt, confusion, and even chaos. By "media", I would be talking about any method that can be used to transmit information (i.e. music, books, television, movies, etc.). In fact, we live in a time where we are bombarded from every side with the devil's messages.

In many ways, the human brain is like a computer in that it stores and processes information. A commonly used phrase for computers makes for an excellent illustration: "garbage in - garbage out." The lost and the babes in Christ are the most susceptible to the devil's messages, but that doesn't infer that the devil's messages are good for mature Christians. The devil can snare just about anyone for his purposes if we let him. Inviting the devil in with any form of media is negative. Christians still fight a daily battle within themselves every day of this short life on earth. The Apostle Paul described this battle in great detail and said it was going on inside himself. I doubt there are any Christians who would compare their strength in the LORD to that of the Apostle Paul. The obvious conclusion is that we all fight with the powers of darkness, and we have ample reasons to pray that GOD helps us in this fight.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Proverbs 14:26 NASB  In the fear of the LORD there is strong confidence, And his children will have refuge.

Florida_Catholic

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2006, 08:38:55 PM »

You're certainly free to shelter yourself from varied ideas.  As for myself, I have found great mental and spiritual enrichment by reading and learning.  Also in my experience God has blessed me with enough intelligence to judge for myself whether to accept, reject, or further consider a message.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2006, 08:52:27 PM »

You're certainly free to shelter yourself from varied ideas.  As for myself, I have found great mental and spiritual enrichment by reading and learning.  Also in my experience God has blessed me with enough intelligence to judge for myself whether to accept, reject, or further consider a message.

It is not a matter of sheltering. It is a matter of refusing to partake of the things of the devil. Discernment goes a long way.

2Co 6:17  Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you,

Now that is wisdom and discernment.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2006, 08:55:47 PM by Pastor Roger » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the