Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 10:05:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286800 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Debate (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  A Question for Christians.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: A Question for Christians.  (Read 5002 times)
red letters

View Profile
« on: October 13, 2004, 05:08:38 PM »

Do you think God rates sin or are they all the same in his eyes?

Love is patient, love is kind.  It does not boast, it is not proud.  It is not rude, it is not self-serving, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.  It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
Aiden

I seek Truth, I seek God.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2004, 05:26:25 PM »

I have no firm basis on which I base the following, I'm simply going to give an idea for people to support or tear to pieces.
Ok, here it goes:
I should think that God does rate sins. Reasons for this would be because he found Sodom and Gomorrah utterly offensive ( and thus getting a higher sin rating) than other cities. I should think however, that if God rates sin, then it is only in the present life. Once we are dead I don't think God'll take the time to rate each sin, "it's either you chose me or you didn't". Back to S and G, God may not rate sin, but instead was trying to make an example for the world. Perhaps all the cities were viewed as just as sinful. I had some more points, but one point drives out another so that's it for today. Take care.

-Aiden-
Brother Love
Gold Member

"FAITH ALONE IN CHRIST ALONE"

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2004, 05:43:31 PM »

Christ died"FOR"our sins ( 1 Corinthians 15:3) Thats ALL sins PAST, PRESENT And FUTURE.

THINGS THAT DIFFER By C.R. Stam
Read it on line for "FREE"

http://www.geocities.com/protestantscot/ttd/ttd_chap1.html

<Smiley))><
Aiden

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2004, 07:52:15 PM »

I forgot to ask this Red Letters, are you seriously questioning this or is it meant as just something to evoke thought. I thought it was for evoking thought, my apologies if you didn't mean this to be a debate like that. And yes Brother Love I agree with your statement, but I think that if this topic is just a friendly debate then that was a kind but unnecessary post. Not to say that it isn't good to be reminded of course. Take care.

-Aiden-
red letters

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2004, 08:46:59 PM »

I forgot to ask this Red Letters, are you seriously questioning this or is it meant as just something to evoke thought. I thought it was for evoking thought, my apologies if you didn't mean this to be a debate like that. And yes Brother Love I agree with your statement, but I think that if this topic is just a friendly debate then that was a kind but unnecessary post. Not to say that it isn't good to be reminded of course. Take care.

-Aiden-

Yes, I did mean it as a debate and as a serious question ... hence the reason I put it in the debate forum.  
I was taught that sin was all the same in God's eyes, but I disagree.  

Love is patient, love is kind.  It does not boast, it is not proud.  It is not rude, it is not self-serving, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.  It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
Marv

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2004, 01:35:39 AM »

All sin results in separation from God, but there is at least some differences in sin.

For instance blasphemy against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven.
Mat 12:31, Mark 3:29.

Also, 1 John 5 16-17 talks about sin leading to death and sin not leading to death.  

Some argue that means there are different levels of sin, some argue different results from sin.

I think the danger in thinking there are really bad sins and not so bad sins is the danger of thinking the not so bad are really okay.  But, as the not so bad sins separate the person from God, sinning that maybe started out little tends to abound.

Some ask questions such as this because they are afraid or feel that they have already committed unpardonable sins and so their  situation is hopeless.   I take comfort in what a  pastor told me years ago, that if you are still capable of being worried about whether you had committed unpardonable sins, it is almost certain that you have not.

Go in peace,
Marv
Pixie

LLPHPG ~ Live Long, Play Hard, Praise God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2004, 02:42:08 PM »

All sin is equal. Killing someone, is just as bad as having sex before you are married. However, that does bring up a good question.
In Mark 3:28-30 (if I'm not mistaken') it talks about blasphemes against the Holy Sprit. Thiat this is the ultimate sin. My preacher called this the unforgivable sin. But I thought that all sins where forgivable??!?

Until,
   Claudia
aka Pixie
2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2004, 04:52:32 PM »

All sin is equal. Killing someone, is just as bad as having sex before you are married. However, that does bring up a good question.
In Mark 3:28-30 (if I'm not mistaken') it talks about blasphemes against the Holy Sprit. Thiat this is the ultimate sin. My preacher called this the unforgivable sin. But I thought that all sins where forgivable??!?

If the Holy Spirit is who draws us to Christ, and that call is rejected, is that not blaspheming the Holy Spirit thus not receiving forgivness of ones sins?   That is the one sin that rules out any forgivness.

I don't doubt that God being a Just God may choose to judge levels of sin more severely, but thats sort of a moot point IMO.   As Marv says, complete separation from God is complete separation from God no matter how you slice it.  And without Christ as your representitive on judgment day, complete separation from God will be Hell in the extreme.   I don't think God will take lightly, rejecting the price His Son paid for you and I, if it is ignored and refused.

Grace and Peace!

Tim

Enslaved in service to Christ
felix102

Jesus Christ is Lord!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2004, 11:33:46 PM »

Amen tim, marv, and aiden. That covers this question very well.

I think the fallacy comes from the thought that because sin leads us to a seperation from God then all sin must be equal. Wrong. There are different severities of sin and sins that will have different consequences. As aiden pointed out, sin is judged on this present life. This is very apparent if you read the old testament. Consider looking at the entire chapter of Leviticus 26. For something that kids can apply now is honor your father and mother. Notice that this is an old law. And notice the reward: so that it may go well with you.

Obeying God's commandments and commiting sins do have consequences in life.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2004, 11:35:31 PM by felix102 » Logged
MalkyEL

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2004, 09:18:40 PM »

Jam 2:10 For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one [point], he is guilty of all.

Mat 5:28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

Matt 5:22 But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.

Eve only took one little bite . . . Smiley

Shalom, Nana

Be mindful of the prisoners, as having been bound with them; of those ill-treated, as also being in the body yourselves.  Hebrews 13:3
2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2004, 12:59:34 PM »

Jam 2:10 For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one [point], he is guilty of all.

Mat 5:28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

Matt 5:22 But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.

Eve only took one little bite . . . Smiley

Shalom, Nana

Just goes to show how insurmountable<sp> the case against humanity (without Christ) really is doesn't it?  

Grace and Peace!

Tim

Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2004, 03:00:49 PM »

Do you think God rates sin or are they all the same in his eyes?

I believe that sin, is sin in God's eyes.  He says:

For God shows no partiality.

Romans 2:11 ESV

and

For there is no respect of persons with God.

Romans 2:11 KJV

God doesn't view one man's sin as any worse than any other man's sin.  God doesn't hold one man as any better than any other man.  There is no partiality, or respect with regards to one man over any other.  There is only God's infinite grace.

"that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death"
Aiden

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2004, 09:59:46 PM »

While Romans 2:11 does say that God judges all men the same (paraphrasing), I should think that this is concerning their sins and how those sins concern their eternity. Yes, in the end we are all judged by the same God, and are all seen as equally unworthy of salvation. But that entire passage seems or atleast could be talking of just the final judgements. God looked down upon Job and said that he was the most righteous man of the time. This is God favoring someone because of something they did. Now I have been told that some believe that Job was not a real person and only served as an old Jewish story, but until further evidence is shown, I believe that Job was real. Now if God saw Job as more righteous than his neighbors, then surely God could just as easily be more displeased with the more sinful neighbors. I am not saying that he would judge either persons more or less favorbly in the end, but in their time alive, some of their sins could have been more or less repulsing to God. Of course God feels repulsed by all sins, but the level of repulsion could vary. Notice that I say could quite a good deal during this discussion. Keep in mind that this is all for the sake of discussion and that we are talking about God and his different levels of sin classification in the present life, not from death and on. I'm enjoying this thread. Take care.

-Aiden-
Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2004, 10:34:13 AM »

Aiden,

I think this falls more on the level of how God resists the proud but gives grace to the humble.  Job didn't receive God's accomodations because of what he did, but because of what he was.  What do I mean by that?  That God respected his person more than the others of the day?  Nope!  God's not a respecter of persons as we have seen in His word.  Rather, Job was righteous, and did fear God.  It is in this humility and integrity that Job was an acceptable image-bearer.  That's why God said what He said.  That's what was in David's life that made him a man after God's Own heart.  That's what was in Abraham's life that made him God's friend.  None of these men were any better than anyone else.  But each of these men saw themselves in light of God and responded accordingly.  

Sin is sin in God's eyes, and is dealt with according to the mercy and grace He so choses to give.  It's only when He sees Himself reflected in our lives that He calls us His friend, men/women after His heart, or righteous, God-fearing individuals.

Again, it's about Him and how much of Him we allow to be reflected in our lives.   Smiley

"that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death"
2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2004, 02:36:26 PM »

Yeah!!!! the coffee man is back, and wiser than ever!   Cheesy

Grace and Peace!

Tim

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the