Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:07:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286806 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Apologetics (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Bible is God's Word
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bible is God's Word  (Read 8596 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2004, 01:21:06 AM »

I disagree with you. I think the rest of my post was an insight into where I am in my search for understanding and why I have come to my conclusions. You deleting the entire post makes me feel like you just wish to hide my thoughts from others. Is this how Christianity works? Is the only way to spread Gods word to destroy or disregard any opposing thought? So far, with you at least, I am not having a good feeling about how your religion treats people and I've only been here 2 days.

SS,

I guess that you didn't read the forum rules. We don't make any offer or invitation to provide equal time to those opposing Christ, the Holy Bible, or Christianity. In fact, the exact opposite is very clear. The lost are most welcome here, but they are NOT given license to preach or mock the things of GOD.

Your disagreement with the forum rules means nothing to me. This is a Christian forum designed for family use, including children. Your trolling is nothing new here. However, you were somewhat original in making the analogy that the Holy Bible might be the devil's work. In terms of a pulpit you can use to mock and blaspheme God or tell us how stupid Christians are, that pulpit doesn't exist here. Brand new, and that's all you've done so far. Your choice is very simple. obey the forum rules or be gone.

Evangelist
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2004, 11:49:52 AM »

As an intelligent human I have difficulty with the idea of blind faith without contemplation, questioning and testing that faith. I have faith that my wife with not cheat on me, not simply because she is my wife but because I know her, because I've discussed that issue with her. Am I 100% sure? No. Do I occassionally check up on her or ask a question or 2? Of course.
I have faith that my dog won't bite me. Yes. Am I 100% sure? No. Do I take measures to ensure he doesn't? Yes. 
Do I have faith that my Parents love me? Yes. Am I 100% sure? No. Do I need to hear them say it directly to me? Yes.

Do I care that you (anyone) have blind faith? Do I care whether or not you believe the Bible is the unerrant word of God and that it's existance proves the existance of God? NO 

Ahhhh, am I mistaken or did I not say anything about blind faith? Aside from that, exactly what is "blind" faith? Is it stupidly believing in something that does not exist? Is it stepping in front of a speeding locomotive, or tuggin' on Superman's cape...or is it just spitting into the wind?

I'm not here to try and change your mind,

Couldn't tell it by me. You present yourself as an "intelligent" human being, then proceed to make unintelligent remarks, faulty argumentation, and when shown the error of your statements proceed to red herrings and strawmen and ignore your egregious mistakes.  Doesn't sound to intelligent to me, nor does it speak well to your ability to reasonably and objectively assess your own faults.

I'm here to see if you (anyone) can change mine.
Why? It also doesn't appear that you have any intention of objectively or reasonably assessing what is presented, having already made up your own "superior" mind.
"professing themselves wise, they became fools....worshipping the created more than the creator"
"...think not more highly of yourselves than you ought..."
"God is not a man, that He should lie..."
"my ways are not your ways, nor my thoughts your thoughts, saith the Lord.."

I'm here to dispute your reasoning and facts (if there are any) to see if you can convince me that there is a God that cares for me and that there is an after life.
Then dispute the reasoning and fact. Some were presented to you, but you have chosen to ignore them.

I WANT to believe these things but if at the end of the day your last ditch effort is "just have faith" then I must say I can not.

At some point in time, you must exercise faith...whether in God, or in yourself, it does and will occur. At this particular point in time, you are expressing faith in your self, your ability to reason, and your ability to gather facts and objectively assess them. As has been pointed out, your fact gathering ability is somewhat remiss, which tends to cast a pall of doubt on your reasoning.

I can not because you are a man just like me and by your own admission, through your religious belief, you are a sinner and tempted by evil. I can not because you are a man just like billions of other men throughout the ages who have lied, cheated, decieved, stolen, murdered et. al. for their own selfish desires and lust.
I can not because you are a man and I have no way of knowing what is in your heart.

Have I asked you to follow me? Apply reason to your own answer. If I am a man, just like you, and you can't believe me, then how can you believe yourself?  Quid pro quo.

Now I realize that the following is the part that really tickled BEP's "gotcha clock", but I need to re-nsert it here to show the utter foolishness of your argument.
Just imagine for a moment what it would mean to you if God came to you, spoke directly to you and said "the Bible is the creation of Satan to fool you into doing his bidding, I had hoped you would be able to figure it out on your own with the intelect I gave you but you chose not to question it's flaws".   wouldn't you just weep uncontrolably for your foolishness?

Just imagine for a moment what it would mean to you if God came to you, spoke directly to you and said "the Bible is my Word, and contains all the information you need to be reconciled to me. I had hoped you would be able to figure it out on your own with the intellect I gave you, but you have chosen to rely instead upon your own understanding.". Wouldn't you just weep uncontrollably at the judgment seat?

Just FYI, God has come to you, God has spoken to you, and God does desire you to reason. "come, let us reason together, saith the Lord.....though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be white as snow....". Even now, His Holy Spirit is contending with you over the matter. "howbeit when He, the Spirit of Truth is come, He shall convince (convict) the world of sin, righteousness, and judgment to come..."

Anyway, determining whether the Bible is or is not truthful or the Word of God is a fools errand because the believers will dispute and defend its descrepencies and inacuracies with their last breath. Thousands (maybe millions) have debated it all before us.

I've listened to both sides and have made my own determination on the Bible, here it is.

And this statement gives lie to your earlier contention that you were here to be convinced.  Closed minds don't grow...they stagnate.

The Bible can not be considered proof of the existance of God because it is a collection of letters, dubious stories, mostly passed around for hundreds of years by word of mouth and translated works by men with the goal of perpetuating a set of beliefs.

IMO, the Bible does not claim to be "proof" of the existence of God, but it does claim to be inspired by Him.
"all scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for..."
"knowing this, that no prophecy is of private interpretation, but is God-breathed (inspired, spoken, theopneustos)..."

Man is not perfect and is motivated to further his own selfish goals.
I hope you're including yourself here. And what is your selfish goal? And why are you holding yourself out to be perfect(ly) capable of determining truth better than God?

Throughout history we have seen men with a Bible in one hand and a sword in the other. Not to defend his God or his faith with either but to use the Bible as an excuse to gain power and wealth and the sword to acheive it. How can I have faith in a message when that very message has been so abused and used as a bludgeon by those claiming to be it's most righteous defenders? The Roman Catholic Chruch is THE most wealthy, powerful and influential organization in the world. Is that the message I'm supposed to get, 'Wield the Bible properly and you too can become rich and powerful'?

So? Guilt by association? Bad logic, even worse argumentation, and evidence of inherently fallacious reasoning abilities.  Besides, you need to pay attention to the message, not the messenger.  I suppose that if you were to play a Paul Desmond rif badly I should then fault Paul Desmond?

Since there has been enough debate on the Bible and enough evidence to cause me to doubt it's validity as the Word of God I'd like to start another thread on other questions I have about "God".

Since you haven't really debated, and most especially haven't produced any "evidence", I see this as nothing more than an attempt to escape.

I would suggest that each of you use your mind and ponder your own beliefs to be sure that you are true to yourself and your God.

Good advice...but backwards. Be sure that you are true to God, then to yourself.

I suggest that you venture out into the world and discover other points of view rather than only talking with other Christians, "preaching to the chior" doesn't make you think outside the box.

How do you know that we haven't been "out in the world", and examined/discovered other points of view?

I saw in a reply by the moderator "Blackeyedpeas" that people that don't quickly start agreeing with the his point of view with be banned. Is that what God teaches? You should look at them as an opportunity to enlighten them. You should only ban them if they are simply trying to cause trouble or being inflammatory, vulgar or harassing people not because their opinion or beliefs are different from yours. "Man cannot live on bread alone".

Agreement? Not necessary. Arrogance and hostility? Not allowed. Sincere questions are welcomed. Snotty remarks are not.

I look forward to more discussions 

I'm looking forward to the first one.

BroHank
John 8:12 Ministries  www.john812.com
The Beymers  www.thebeymers.org
Chesed

Zechariah 2:10-12

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2004, 06:26:13 PM »

Slippery Slope -

I have the Dead Sea Scrolls Bible, which was translated by Martin Abegg Jr., Peter Flint & Eugene Ulrich. These are the worlds leading experts on the DSS. According to them, the DSS predate any previously discovered Biblical manuscripts by 1000 years.

'Sing & be glad, Daughter of Zion! For behold, I am coming & I will dwell in your midst, says the Lord. Many nations will join themselves to the Lord on that day & they will become a people unto Me; & I will dwell in your midst. Then you will know that the Lord sent me to you.'
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the