Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:39:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286805 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Debate (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  IS WATER BAPTISM A TESTIMONY?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: IS WATER BAPTISM A TESTIMONY?  (Read 5717 times)
Kristi Ann
Gold Member

John 9:1-5 KJV

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2004, 11:25:35 PM »

I have been Baptized, only after I was saved by Jesus. Don't that count? After all Jesus Died for all so we could Live!

Blessings,  \o/

sincereheart
Gold Member

"and with His stripes we are healed." Isaiah 53:5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2004, 05:02:09 AM »

I wondered who it was a testimony for? Kind of like preaching to the choir??  Huh

Had you taken the time to investigate, you would have found that water baptism is first and foremost a testimony or witness before God of what He has done by His grace for the sinner -- given him or her the gift of the Holy Spirit: "Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, WHICH HAVE RECEIVED THE HOLY GHOST AS WELL AS WE? AND HE COMMANDED [note this word] THEM TO BE BAPTIZED in the name of the Lord..." (Acts 10:47,48).

Peter explained later that since it was God who had given the Gentiles the gift of eternal life, it behoved him to have them baptized, thus testifying to the grace of God towards Gentiles (acts 11:15-18).

When Jesus of Nazareth was baptized, it was God the Father, and God the Holy Spirit who testified to His being the "Anointed One" -- the Messiah (Matt. 3:13-17), and the Lord said to John the Baptizer "FOR THUS IT BECOMETH US TO FULFILL ALL RIGHTEOUSNESS".

Paul himself was baptized immediately after receiving back his sight, and because he had "fulfilled all righteouness" , he was "filled with the Holy Spirit" and immediately empowered to preach the Gospel (Acts 9:8-21).

When a sinner receives the gift of the Holy Spirit, he receives the internal "washing of regeneration, and renewal of the Holy Ghost" (Tit. 3:3-7). Believer's baptism is a testimony before God and man that a sinner has been saved by grace, because there is rejoicing in Heaven over one sinner who repents. That is why Paul took the trouble to baptize the Philippian jailor and his household at midnight (Acts 16:25-34) in obedience to Christ -- "to fulfill all righteousness".

Had you taken the time to investigate,...

Roll Eyes Gee, guess I just couldn't be bothered.....  Roll Eyes

Brother Love
Gold Member

"FAITH ALONE IN CHRIST ALONE"

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2004, 10:06:18 AM »

Who is this Stam, and how did he get so confused? Did brother love lead him astray or is it vice versa?

Rich, Just one word, ...................... Garvage. Grin

<Smiley))><

THINGS THAT DIFFER By C.R. Stam
Read it on line for "FREE"

http://www.geocities.com/protestantscot/ttd/ttd_chap1.html

<Smiley))><
JudgeNot
Gold Member

Jesus, remember me... Luke 23:42

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2004, 02:08:41 PM »

According to what I've been taught (and believe), yes, water baptism is testimony.  After accepting Jesus Christ as personal Lord and Savior, one is water baptized as public testimony that they are believers.

Covering your tracks is futile; God knows where you're going and where you've been.
JPD
Brother Love
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2004, 02:47:36 PM »

According to what I've been taught (and believe), yes, water baptism is testimony.  After accepting Jesus Christ as personal Lord and Savior, one is water baptized as public testimony that they are believers.

According to what I've been taught (and believe),

Same here JudgeNot, just because thats what we are taught (DOES NOT MAKE IT THE TRUTH) I no longer believe that and I never will.  Smiley

Have A GRRRREAT DAy Smiley

<Smiley))><

<Smiley))><
Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2004, 04:59:07 PM »

Let me ask this BL: to those of us who followed our Lord, after salvation in believer's baptism, it is a matter of obedience.  He commanded it, and we obeyed.  To you, it isn't a command, therefore, you have nothing to obey in that regards.  So, what's the point of arguing this?

"that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death"
musicllover

Seek ye first the kingdom of God.........

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2004, 10:05:23 PM »

In my small neck of the woods, water batism is a testimony, a public confession, and act of obedience because the scripture says to do so.
    I guess it boils down to this, if Jesus did it it is good enough for me.......
   Paul speaking of not coming to baptize, that is true, but he did baptize, and goes on to mention those that he did. I wonder,  have not study the script offer, so I have no proof of this, but just food for thought. Could Paul be saying that he come as a Jew, who was determined to take care of the heritic Christians, killing them or imprisoning them, not to preach the word or become a christian and most defianlty  NOT to baptize them? But now he does do all these things?
      I guess I don't understand what kind of "BAD" testimony this is? By doing what Jesus done? By trying to walk and talk and act like Jesus. WE all fall a great deal short of Jesus attributes but its the desire and the trying that counts, and once in a while we might acctually show others what a Christian is suppose to behave like...... water baptism is doing just that for any non believers that might be around.  
   The guy who wrote this sounds like a flake to me. The scripture supports water baptism, thats good enough for me. But I dont' believe that you HAVE to be water baptized to enter into Heaven.
   Water is the symbol of the washing away of sins, water in itself simple gets a person wet, in thruth, the Holy Spirit is what cleanses one of thier sins, with a drop or a bucket or a river, so again, its the obedince and the act of the public confession, that is NOT a bad thing. Undecided.....
     This Mr Stam belongs in a box of ceral, granola that is, oats,brown sugar and Mr stam with the rest of the nuts and flakes. Wink

musicllover

musicllover
Brother Love
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2004, 07:06:49 AM »

In my small neck of the woods, water batism is a testimony, a public confession, and act of obedience because the scripture says to do so.
   Paul speaking of not coming to baptize, that is true, but he did baptize, and goes on to mention those that he did. I wonder,  have not study the script offer, so I have no proof of this, but just food for thought. Could Paul be saying that he come as a Jew, who was determined to take care of the heritic Christians, killing them or imprisoning them, not to preach the word or become a christian and most defianlty  NOT to baptize them? But now he does do all these things?
      I guess I don't understand what kind of "BAD" testimony this is? By doing what Jesus done? By trying to walk and talk and act like Jesus. WE all fall a great deal short of Jesus attributes but its the desire and the trying that counts, and once in a while we might acctually show others what a Christian is suppose to behave like...... water baptism is doing just that for any non believers that might be around.  
   The guy who wrote this sounds like a flake to me. The scripture supports water baptism, thats good enough for me. But I dont' believe that you HAVE to be water baptized to enter into Heaven.
   Water is the symbol of the washing away of sins, water in itself simple gets a person wet, in thruth, the Holy Spirit is what cleanses one of thier sins, with a drop or a bucket or a river, so again, its the obedince and the act of the public confession, that is NOT a bad thing. Undecided.....
     This Mr Stam belongs in a box of ceral, granola that is, oats,brown sugar and Mr stam with the rest of the nuts and flakes. Wink

musicllover

musicllover, maybe you should stay with the music and entertainment section Grin

<Smiley))><
« Last Edit: August 10, 2004, 07:36:37 AM by Brother Love » Logged

<Smiley))><
Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2004, 09:44:41 AM »

musicllover

Whatdya know?  Another person with their head screwed on straight!  Smiley AMEN![/b]  Great post musiclover!

"that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death"
sincereheart
Gold Member

"and with His stripes we are healed." Isaiah 53:5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2004, 10:30:39 AM »

Questions and thoughts (hopefully not snide answers Roll Eyes):

Valid point! So what about foot washing? Some churches do this and say it's because Jesus washed the disciples' feet.  Undecided

I guess I don't understand what kind of "BAD" testimony this is?

I also don't understand how it could be a 'bad' testimony. BUT..... most churches in these times use a baptismal. And the testimony is to the members that have already been baptized. So who is it a testimony to? If it's a 'public testimony', then wouldn't it be somewhere other than a private church?  Undecided

The guy who wrote this sounds like a flake to me.

I don't think he's a 'flake'. I've read much good from him. I can't say I agree with everything that any man has ever written. But he's not the only person with those thoughts. So who's right and who's wrong? And does it ultimately make any difference?  Undecided

But I dont' believe that you HAVE to be water baptized to enter into Heaven.

But so many people do believe that you HAVE to be baptized to be saved! So is the correct message attached to the baptizing aspect?

with a drop or a bucket or a river,

But if it means 'immersion' then a drop wouldn't qualify, would it? Undecided

At this point, I see baptism as a sort of graduation ceremony. You know, you've already earned the diploma, but the 'ceremony' is where you celebrate it. You walk up on stage to receive it. I am open for any thoughts on this, but I would appreciate not being attacked while looking for understanding on it.  Embarrassed

And yes, I have been baptized and no, I have not repented of it.....  Grin

Brother Love
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2004, 04:16:11 PM »

musicllover

Whatdya know?  Another person with their head screwed on straight!  Smiley AMEN![/b]  Great post musiclover!

QUOTE Allinall, Whatdya know?  Another person with their head screwed on straight!  

Allinall, dont all CLONES have their heads screwed on. Grin

<Smiley))><

EPHESIANS 4:5

<Smiley))><
Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2004, 04:24:27 PM »

musicllover

QUOTE Allinall, Whatdya know?  Another person with their head screwed on straight!  

Allinall, dont all CLONES have their heads screwed on. Grin

<Smiley))><

EPHESIANS 4:5

Hahaheehe...he...hey.  That wasn't funny.

Grin  hehee!  Wink

musicllover

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2004, 05:28:34 PM »

musicllover

musicllover, maybe you should stay with the music and entertainment section Grin

<Smiley))><

OK, then I can play and siging as they do the water baptisms....... Tongue
musicllover

musicllover
musicllover

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2004, 06:55:38 PM »

Questions and thoughts (hopefully not snide answers Roll Eyes):

[quote musicllover]

[ sincereheart quote]
 Valid point! So what about foot washing? Some churches do this and say it's because Jesus washed the disciples' feet.  Undecided
          No foot washing, yes do it if you want to.  But its not like baptism, and we aren't told to go out and foot wash, Jesus told us just before his ascension,  Matt 28:19 .....Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. I am unaware of anyone changing the commission of Christ, but then I don't always have both oars in the water at the same time, (even at my baptism still had one foot out of the water......lol.......NOT)
 Jesus washed his disciple’s feet to show them he was no greater than they were, he was a man of service as well as Savior. Foot washing is to show our personal humbleness, a foreshadow in a much smaller magnitude of what Jesus was going to do on the cross.

I guess I don't understand what kind of "BAD" testimony this is?

[Sincereheart quote]
I also don't understand how it could be a 'bad' testimony. BUT..... most churches in these times use a baptismal. And the testimony is to the members that have already been baptized. So who is it a testimony to? If it's a 'public testimony', then wouldn't it be somewhere other than a private church?  Undecided

It’s crazy what "people" try to force into the scriptures, isn't it. I see what you’re saying, using baptismal really doesn't "serve" the purpose of a public confession of baptism, I'd never thought of it that way before. After thinking about it I don't have a problem with baptismal, usually there is a big dinner, a good message and then the baptismal service follow, so for those that attend the services that may not be saved it can be a moving experience or convicting one. But there are also plenty of places to be baptized, River,
     Scriptural ex. the Jordan Matt 3:13-16, Mark 1:5-10
now someone will grab a hold of this and say OOOPPPSSS got to go to the Jordan before its a real baptism.

In the scriptures people were baptized in a house, Acts 10:44-48, they were baptized in a jail Acts 16: 25-33.....and what of the Phillip and the unic (spelling) they see a water hole in the middle of no where. So there wasn't anyone around so it was the mans heart, his desire to do what the Holy Spirit was leading him to do. NOW who in the world would say deny the Holy Spirit ? I have trouble even knowing sometimes what the Holy Spirit is directing me to do, so when it becomes loud and clear I think we'd be wise to obey.  

[ musicllover quote]
The guy who wrote this sounds like a flake to me.

[Sincereheart quote]
I don't think he's a 'flake'. I've read much good from him. I can't say I agree with everything that any man has ever written. But he's not the only person with those thoughts. So who's right and who's wrong? And does it ultimately make any difference?  Undecided
            I guess I'm of the opinion that if you teach something contrary to the scriptures your a flake, at the very least a false teacher. Does it ultimately make a difference? I believe it does, this guy is saying that its not good to be baptized, he is teaching that baptisms is bad, the scriptures says that it is good, and yes to do it?  In my opinion at far as salvation, I don't believe you have to be, but Jesus did, so there fore we should. Yes, some do have a strong opinion that you MUST be baptized. My only response to that is in the scriptures, one of the thiefs on the cross with Jesus was not (or at least we aren’t told)   baptized, yet Jesus told him he would be with him in paradise with him that day. In the world today, if the opportunity comes along and some one refused baptism because of stubbornness, or embarrassment then they have other issues that need to be taken care of, and probably aren’t ready for baptism yet. If for some reason a person can’t be baptized, (health, or live in the dessert or something ) it’s the Holy Spirit and the condition of the heart.    

[musicllover quote]
But I dont' believe that you HAVE to be water baptized to enter into Heaven.

[Sincereheart quote]
But so many people do believe that you HAVE to be baptized to be saved! So is the correct message attached to the baptizing aspect?
              No I don't believe its an absolute have to. But we should do it, because Jesus did. The man on the cross as said upbove.

[musicllover quote]
with a drop or a bucket or a river,
[Sincereheart quote]
But if it means 'immersion' then a drop wouldn't qualify, would it? Undecided
        Ya....lol.... some would argue that point too. My own father had a fit when at the time I had my babies sprinkled.....HORROR OF ALL HORRORS, SPRINKLES on BABIES....and he wasn't a church going person, but you'd better do it this way or else.......I honestly believe its the condition of the heart, a drop of water, or a water fall, its the Holy Spirit that cleanses us. Maybe a sprinkle is all that is available, or as was in my case the church believed in sprinkling babies. I have since come to believe that this was to follow church doctrine, (not necessarly good either) and more for the parents and the chosen church sponsors than for the babies......but I know at the time, my heart was in the right place. I have allowed those grown babies to decide for themselves when they were older to be immersed.

[Sincereheart quote]
At this point, I see baptism as a sort of graduation ceremony. You know, you've already earned the diploma, but the 'ceremony' is where you celebrate it. You walk up on stage to receive it. I am open for any thoughts on this, but I would appreciate not being attacked while looking for understanding on it.  Embarrassed

And yes, I have been baptized and no, I have not repented of it.....  Grin  
        LOL......me neither, get this I have been baptized as well.....TWICE, ok no tomatoes please. Me, myself and I… wanted the second time, the first time was nothing more than me doing what my Grandma wanted, I had NO idea why  my preacher dunked me in the baptismal….lol….

« Last Edit: August 10, 2004, 06:58:23 PM by musicllover » Logged

musicllover
Kristi Ann
Gold Member

John 9:1-5 KJV

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2004, 07:06:28 PM »

Okay, here is a far out question;

What about the severely disabled that cannot get into the water and are confined to bed or a wheelchair?  They can be Saved By Accepting Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savoir right~> Yes They can!..

I ask this for the many like I am that are disabled in the World today.  We have voices and needs too.  Maybe in Church they can be Baptised with water that they don't have to get out of their wheelchairs and or specail walking devices.  Some are on Oxygen and cannot be taken of it..

I was Emergency First Aid/CPR Certtified for many years.  I have had to use some of my skills to help save my friends I worked with for 17 years. I also used my skills in Public when needed.

Everyone can help anyone here!  All we need to do is get involved in Helping People Know Jesus Christ is the Only Way Truth and Life.  Most of all Give them our Love like Jesus would have done!!

Just somethings to think about and ponder! Grin

Many Blessings Everyone,  \o/

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the