Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 09:38:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286803 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Debate (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Why dislike Mormons so much?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why dislike Mormons so much?  (Read 14404 times)
Kristi Ann
Gold Member

John 9:1-5 KJV

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2004, 02:57:25 PM »

Joesph Smith is greater than Jesus, he is there prophet.
Jesus is a good teacher, but not as good as Joesph.

[rant on]

Okay  Angry

Joseph Smith was Never a Prophet Nor Never than Jesus Christ!  Jesus is Lord and Savior of Everyone on this Earth!

[/rant off]

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2004, 04:29:07 PM »

I'm always hearing Protestants and Roman Catholics bad mouthing the Mormons. Why? Simply because their doctrine is different? They still believe Jesus is the Savior.

JitC,

It's not a matter of bad mouthing or disliking the Mormons, rather it boils down to working for the devil. The Jesus they talk about was created and is not God. The Jesus they talk about was an angel and made into Jesus, much like the more aggressive Mormons intend to be made into Gods. It's really very simple, a doctrine of evil. By the way, the devil believes in Jesus also, but that doesn't make the devil a Christian.

We don't teach or allow the Mormon doctrine to be taught on Christians Unite for the above reasons. Let me give you a hint and you can check for yourself. According to the Mormons, Jesus would have been little more than a brother of Lucifer and created into Jesus. Our hint to the Mormons is that Jesus Christ is Almighty God, was NOT created, and has no beginning or ending. Our second hint to the Mormons is that men will not be made into Gods. The Mormons have a clever and deceptive doctrine that does not lead men to Almighty God, rather a doctrine that draws men to another man, Joseph Smith. If you are looking for more Mormon doctrine, you won't find it here.

Love In Christ,
Tom

2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2004, 04:34:39 PM »

We don't teach or allow the Mormon doctrine to be taught on Christians Unite for the above reasons

BEP, I hope my post was OK.   I only posted their beliefs to show the errors they present.  I was a bit hesitant to do it, but judged  Grin that it had purpose.

Grace and Peace!

Tim

Enslaved in service to Christ
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2004, 05:12:01 PM »

We don't teach or allow the Mormon doctrine to be taught on Christians Unite for the above reasons

BEP, I hope my post was OK.   I only posted their beliefs to show the errors they present.  I was a bit hesitant to do it, but judged  Grin that it had purpose.

Grace and Peace!

My Brother,

Your post was fine. I think that I was replying to a troll posing as a troll.   Cheesy  There is an entire thread somewhere here, and it's OK also. I found it somewhat humorous that a new user would have interest only in two subjects on a Christian Forum:  atheism and Mormonism. I think that Brother Ollie already did the detective work on this one and figured it out.  

Love In Christ,
Tom

ollie
Gold Member

Being born again, .....by the word of God,

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2004, 06:09:15 PM »

Mormons are not disliked.
It is some of their teachings that are not in agreement with the first testament of Christ. Why should their "other testament of Jesus Christ" contradict so much His first and only testament? These contradictions with the Bible are what is disliked and found to be staright out of an uninspired man's mind. That of Joseph Smith.

Support your local Christian.
musicllover

Seek ye first the kingdom of God.........

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2004, 08:41:47 PM »

Joesph Smith is greater than Jesus, he is there prophet.
Jesus is a good teacher, but not as good as Joesph.

[rant on]

Okay  Angry

Joseph Smith was Never a Prophet Nor Never than Jesus Christ!  Jesus is Lord and Savior of Everyone on this Earth!

[/rant off]

Cry
You've misunderstood my post, sorry if it was misleading,  read from the begining of what I posted this is a mormon doctrine, one of the several I listed that I have a problem with. I MOST defiantly do not believe that joeshp smith is better than Jesus, or a prophet of anything but his own personal gain.
musicllover

musicllover
musicllover

Seek ye first the kingdom of God.........

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2004, 08:56:11 PM »

It would appear that you could do well to go to any of the web site on your own, for and against, you don't need anyone here to give them too you.
I know, but a lot of people, here too, bad mouth Mormons. So I figured this might be a good place to come for answers. I don't want to spend the effort to become an expert in Mormonism just to find out if the claims of other Christians are valid.

There are thousands of Christian denominations, and they all differ to some degree. Some more than others. Some quite a bit. I'm not challenging the accusations that the Mormon beliefs differ greatly, or that they are considered strange compared to most Christians. What I'm simply asking for is some belief of their's that clearly is contradictory to the bible, backed up by proof that it's actually a belief of their's.

JitC,
     You need to compare there book to the Holy Scritptures, besides the obviouse fact that they have added to the Holy Scritptures (and we are told NOT to is a good hint that they are off. I have not read the book of Mormon, nor do I plan on reading it, I used diff books and sites to pick this information up, and then compared for my ownself. One side of my husbands family are devote and I had a brother who was into this church pretty deeply as well. Or otherwise I probably would have taken other christians word for it. Do some of your own research on what they believe and comparing. I don't mean to sound hateful, I am suggesting you check it out for your ownself, because you don't seem to believe anything that anyone has offered so far. I think you need a compare list. The book and the site I offered can give you some helpful direction. I kinda use the rule of thumb that if a "faith" (such as the mormons) believes they are the only ones getting into Heaven then they are a cult.
Jesus is Lord,
musicllover

musicllover
livingbyfaith

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2006, 06:25:55 PM »

I know, but a lot of people, here too, bad mouth Mormons. So I figured this might be a good place to come for answers. I don't want to spend the effort to become an expert in Mormonism just to find out if the claims of other Christians are valid.

There are thousands of Christian denominations, and they all differ to some degree. Some more than others. Some quite a bit. I'm not challenging the accusations that the Mormon beliefs differ greatly, or that they are considered strange compared to most Christians. What I'm simply asking for is some belief of their's that clearly is contradictory to the bible, backed up by proof that it's actually a belief of their's.

OK....

The doctrines of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormons) are very interesting. Most of the 'odd' ones are not initially taught to potential converts. But they should be. Instead, "they are are revealed later as one matures and gains the ability to accept them."  The LDS Church tries to make its official doctrines appear Christian but what underlies those Christian sounding terms is far from Christian in meaning.
     Following are the teachings of its officials throughout the years.  Please note that these teachings are documented from Mormon writers, not anti-Mormon writers. 
    Finally, many Mormons respond that most of the the citations below are not from official Mormon writings, as if that disproves the doctrines they teach.  If they are not official, fine.  But, if not, then why have the Mormon apostles and high officials taught them, written them, and why are their books sold in Mormon bookstores?  The truth is, the following is what Mormons are taught.

1. The true gospel was lost from the earth. Mormonism is its restoration, Articles of Faith, by James Talmage, p. 182-185
2. We need prophets today, the same as in the Old Testament, Articles of Faith, by James Talmage, p. 444-445
3. The book of Mormon is more correct than the Bible, History of the Church, 4:461.
4. If it had not been for Joseph Smith and the restoration, there would be no salvation.  There is no salvation [the context is the full gospel including exaltation to Godhood] outside the church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Mormon Doctrine, p. 670.
5. There are many gods, Mormon Doctrine, p. 163.
There is a mother god, Articles of Faith, by James Talmage, p. 443.
6. God used to be a man on another planet, Mormon Doctrine, p. 321.  Joseph Smith,  Times and Seasons, Vol 5, pp. 613-614; Orson Pratt, Journal of Discourses, Vol 2, p. 345, Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses, vol. 7, p. 333.
7. After you become a good Mormon, you have the potential of becoming a god, Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, pages 345-347, 354.
8. God the Father had a Father, Joseph Smith, History of the Church, vol. 6, p. 476; Heber C. Kimball, Journal of Discourses, vol. 5, p. 19; Milton Hunter, First Council of the Seventy, Gospel through the Ages, p. 104-105.
9. God resides near a star called Kolob, Pearl of Great Price, pages 34-35; Mormon Doctrine, p. 428.
10. God the Father has a body of flesh and bones, Doctrine and Covenants, 130:22.
11. God is in the form of a man, Joseph Smith, Journal of Discourses, Vol. 6, p. 3.
12. God is married to his goddess wife and has spirit children, Mormon Doctrine p. 516.
13. We were first begotten as spirit children in heaven and then born naturally on earth, Journal of Discourse, Vol. 4, p. 218.
14. The first spirit to be born in heaven was Jesus, Mormon Doctrine, page 129.
15. The Devil was born as a spirit after Jesus "in the morning of pre-existence," Mormon Doctrine, page 192.
16. Jesus and Satan are spirit brothers and we were all born as siblings in heaven to them both, Mormon Doctrine, p. 163.
17. A plan of salvation was needed for the people of earth so Jesus offered a plan to the father and Satan offered a plan to the father but Jesus' plan was accepted. In effect the Devil wanted to be the Savior of all Mankind and to "deny men their agency and to dethrone god." Mormon Doctrine, page 193; Journal of Discourses, vol. 6, page 8.
18.  God had sexual relations with Mary to make the body of Jesus, Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses, Vol. 4, p. 218, 1857; vol. 8, p. 115. - This one is disputed among many Mormons and not always 'officially' taught and believed. Nevertheless, Young, the 2nd prophet of the Mormon church taught it.
19. Jesus' sacrifice was not able to cleanse us from all our sins, (murder and repeated adultery are exceptions), Journal of Discourses, Vol. 3, p. 247, 1856.
20. Good works are necessary for salvation, Articles of Faith, p. 92.
21. There is no salvation without accepting Joseph Smith as a prophet of God, Doctrines of Salvation, Vol. 1, p. 188.
22. Baptism for the dead, Doctrines of Salvation, Vol. II, p. 141. This is a practice of baptizing each other in place of non-Mormons who are now dead. Their belief is that in the afterlife, the "newly baptized" person will be able to enter into a higher level of Mormon heaven.
23. There are three levels of heaven: telestial, terrestrial, and celestial, Mormon Doctrine, p. 348.

Some Mormons may disagree with a few of the points listed on this page, but all of what is stated here is from Mormon authors in good standing of the Mormon church.

You will note that some is not accepted by various Mormons, yet much, if not most supplies the resource (book and author) for the teaching.  Not sure how much proof you need, but this should be proof enough.

I'm not sure about you, but I am hard pressed to find anything in this list that is not contradictory to the word of God.

Grace and Peace!

EDIT to add>>>> PS BTW, I don't dislike mormons, but I do disagree with their teachings.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
I was in the Mormons for a short time.  Because I was so eager for answers they taught me much of the above.  Too many to list now.  I was very obedient to do my geneology so my dead relatives could become Mormons though it was harder than when they had a living body. 

I read all the books they suggested and at the time I believed them.  Then 2 things happened that made me realize I couldn't be a good Mormon for I wasn't exactly living the way they thought I should.  Then God gave me a dream that got me out of it along with another situation I was in.  They actually excommunicated me and that wasn't heard of too much.

Later I met other ex-Mormons.  When I mentioned some of the doctrines I have heard of, they didn't believe me.  They just weren't "mature" enough to understand these strange concepts.  In short, I must have been more gullible to believe everything they told me. 

Many years later and living in a high rise, many of us sat on the front porch.  Two Mormon young men walked by.  One later spoke to them so they came up on the porch and began the same spiel I first heard. I spoke up and told them I used to be a Mormon.  They got really excited.

I asked if they really believed that they could become gods and have their own worlds.  Or did they really believe Jesus and Satan were brothers.

I never saw anyone leave as fast as they did.  They walked by several times after that but never stopped.

Hebrews 4:12 "For the Word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword."
Calsgal

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2006, 06:31:17 PM »

I'm always hearing Protestants and Roman Catholics bad mouthing the Mormans. Why? Simply because their doctrine is different? They still believe Jesus is the Savior.

They have a different jesus not the Jesus of the Bible.

Their jesus is a spirit child of  god and the spirit brother of satan .

So the jesus they see as saviour is a false Christ
servant

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2006, 10:38:19 PM »

You need to compare there book to the Holy Scritptures, besides the obviouse fact that they have added to the Holy Scritptures (and we are told NOT to is a good hint that they are off.
I'm very hesitant to suggest that adding to the Scriptures is a good idea at this point - for one thing, the Book of Mormon contains obvious contradictions and theological untruths. But I'm not sure where the warning about adding to Scriptures is. The early church obviously added a great deal to the scriptures. If the text applied for this principle is Revelation 22, then it's worth noting that that verse about adding and taking away seems to be referring to Revelation as such, rather than the Bible as such.

If there is another verse, though, I would be very grateful to know it. I could definitely use it in certain conversations.  Grin
Calsgal

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2006, 10:09:58 PM »

I'm very hesitant to suggest that adding to the Scriptures is a good idea at this point - for one thing, the Book of Mormon contains obvious contradictions and theological untruths. But I'm not sure where the warning about adding to Scriptures is. The early church obviously added a great deal to the scriptures. If the text applied for this principle is Revelation 22, then it's worth noting that that verse about adding and taking away seems to be referring to Revelation as such, rather than the Bible as such.

If there is another verse, though, I would be very grateful to know it. I could definitely use it in certain conversations.  Grin

God is the author of the scriptures, He is also the organizer of them. It is not an accident that that admonition falls at the end of the Scriptures .

God is immutable, He does not change or contradict himself

Deu 4:2   Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish [ought] from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you.

Deu 12:32   What thing soever I command you, observe to do it: thou shalt not add thereto, nor diminish from it.

Pro 30:6   Add thou not unto his words, lest he reprove thee, and thou be found a liar.

Jesus offers this warning

Mat 15:9   But in vain they do worship me, teaching [for] doctrines the commandments of men.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2006, 10:12:20 PM by Calsgal » Logged
servant

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2006, 11:23:00 PM »

God is the author of the scriptures, He is also the organizer of them. It is not an accident that that admonition falls at the end of the Scriptures .

God is immutable, He does not change or contradict himself
I certainly never meant that he did. But that Revelation 22 admonition says:

"I warn everyone who hears the prophetic words in this book: if anyone adds to them, God will add to him the plagues described in this book."

In the KJV, if you prefer that translation for accuracy's sake, it says:

"For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book."

Which is more verbose but has a comparable meaning. The warning in Revelation specifically pertains to the words of the book of Revelation.

Deu 4:2   Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish [ought] from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you.

Deu 12:32   What thing soever I command you, observe to do it: thou shalt not add thereto, nor diminish from it.

Pro 30:6   Add thou not unto his words, lest he reprove thee, and thou be found a liar.
The early church certainly did add to the words given by God, though I have faith that their additions were also given by God. The problem is, the verses in question aren't going to be used very convincingly against people who believe that THEIR more recent additions are ALSO given by God, because the existence of the New Testament is proof that God's revelation of His word did not end at the time of the writing of Deuteronomy or Proverbs. We receive the New Testament as canon by faith, but I'm still lacking where it says, within the text, that the canon is now closed.

Jesus offers this warning

Mat 15:9   But in vain they do worship me, teaching [for] doctrines the commandments of men.
A very good warning, in my mind, though an uncomfortable amount of modern theology seems to be the "commandments of men," and not just within the Catholic or Mormon churches either.
pumkin

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2006, 05:52:05 AM »

How many years ago was the Bible created?  How many books are in the Bible?  How do we know that we have an accurate, unchanged account of those books?  These books are written by man many hundreds of years ago, how do we really know they are accurate and that they weren't changed to suit the churches of those days?  How do we know that Joseph Smith wasn't a prophet of God?  Why can there not be prophets in these last days? 

There are pastors and people of 'good' standing who are disobeying the very commandments they teach!

For all the 'Christian' utterings going on in these forums, I have never come across more 'unchristian' thoughts, utterances and general dislike for fellow man.

If what goes on in these forums is what is meant by being chrisitan, no wonder people are turning away in droves!! 

There are a lot of people who need to take the splinter out of their eye first before running down others. 

It is one thing to use one's time in studying the Bible parrot fashion and being able to quote from it, it is quite another putting into action what the Bible teaches and showing love towards your fellow man.

Who are you to judge others?  For all your quotes of what it is to be Christian, at least churches like the Mormons etc, (who you all appear to be such 'learned scholars' of), their teachings do not involve criticism, putting down and such anti-christian behaviour.  They teach proper family values, love for fellow man and  believe that everyone has their own 'free agency'.

At the end of the day, it is not you who will sit in judgement of them, so why worry?  Concentrate on your own shortcomings and try save yourselves first. 

Talk about the extreminism of other religions?  Read these forums! 
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2006, 06:21:57 AM »

Hello Pumkin,

First, I'll assume that you are a Mormon and find this thread offensive. I'll simply tell you that I'm much more concerned about your lost condition than I am in offending you. Whoever tells you the truth about JESUS CHRIST is doing you a BIG favor whether you appreciate it or not.

This is a Christian forum, so we make no apologies at all in telling people the truth about JESUS CHRIST and how to be saved. You probably already know what we believe, so there is nothing shocking here at all.

You are most welcome to stay with us. Many of us would love to tell you about JESUS CHRIST and how to be saved. If you are a Mormon, this will obviously be much different than what you have been taught. Again, we would make no apology at all for that. Eternity for you is at stake, so we really aren't concerned about you being offended with us stating the truth. We don't teach any Mormon doctrines here, mainly because they are against the teachings of the Holy Bible, and they don't result in the Salvation of anyone. It would not be loving or Christian of me to withhold the truth from you. So, I hope you stay and hear more.

Tom

pumkin

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2006, 06:55:42 AM »

Hello Pumkin,

First, I'll assume that you are a Mormon and find this thread offensive. I'll simply tell you that I'm much more concerned about your lost condition than I am in offending you. Whoever tells you the truth about JESUS CHRIST is doing you a BIG favor whether you appreciate it or not.

This is a Christian forum, so we make no apologies at all in telling people the truth about JESUS CHRIST and how to be saved. You probably already know what we believe, so there is nothing shocking here at all.

You are most welcome to stay with us. Many of us would love to tell you about JESUS CHRIST and how to be saved. If you are a Mormon, this will obviously be much different than what you have been taught. Again, we would make no apology at all for that. Eternity for you is at stake, so we really aren't concerned about you being offended with us stating the truth. We don't teach any Mormon doctrines here, mainly because they are against the teachings of the Holy Bible, and they don't result in the Salvation of anyone. It would not be loving or Christian of me to withhold the truth from you. So, I hope you stay and hear more.

Tom

Thankyou for your invite.  Firstly, let me clear something which I must have given the wrong impression for.  I am not anti any constructive, good teaching or missionary work.  I have been taught and read the Bible.  No, I do not know my Bible word for word, for that matter, neither do I know the Book of Mormon word for word!

What I do find offensive is the antogonism and general dislike of people who may believe something 'different'.  I am not talking soley about Mormons. What about Jews?  Hindus?  Some of the most amazing people belong to those religions!  The only difference of what is happening on these boards and the christian crusade, is that the people on these boards are not out killing and burning (I hope!).

I was born into a Catholic family and attended a convent.  In my youth I felt that the teachings were wrong and I couldn't identify with it.  I have attended methodist, Anglican, Congregational.  I have attended charismatic gatherings and yes, I have been baptised a Mormon.   Out of all the Churches I attended, the Mormon Church represented true Christian values.  Some of you are probably shuddering at the very thought!  Roll Eyes  NO, I have NOT been brain washed - something which people choose to believe as well!  It took me a long time to be baptised.  I prayed, pondered, investigated, questioned.  I am one of the most sceptical people around!

I am not going to champion the Mormons.  I know what I believe and as it has been clearly said on here, it is a 'Christian' site and Mormon teaching won't be tolerated. Fair enough.  We will leave it at that.   But I do note that while the forum is adamant it won't tolerate any Mormon doctrine, if finds no fault in trashing the Mormons at the same time! So, there is no chance of any belief not believed 'Christian' to actually 'defend' itself now, is there....... Wink

There may be faults in the Church. I will not deny that.  There may be questions which need answering.  But that is in any religion, even the Christian one. 

I am not frightened of listening to other people.  In fact, I was recently invited by an extremely good friend of mine to attend a ladies weekend of a charismatic church.  I had a lovely weekend of worshipping and fellowship.  And I did worship with them, why?  Because contrary to what people want to believe, we love Jesus Christ as our saviour.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the