Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:39:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286805 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Debate (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Brothers & Sisters in Christ
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brothers & Sisters in Christ  (Read 1229 times)
C C

loving your neighbor includes your neighbor

View Profile
« on: June 29, 2004, 05:42:41 PM »

Grin

Hello Fellow Believers in Christ,

Why is it that we're so mean to each other?

I remember when I was a child, my half-sister and I used to fight and argue and pull eachother's hair out and chase each other around the house and throw things at each other and generally be mean.  

Her mom told us that when she got home from work she better not find out that we had been fighting or else we wouldn't be going to the movies.  Again, after school we were fighting as usual,, the three to five PM war of the siblings.

Then, at the last minute when we heard her pull into the drive way we both instantly decided that we weren't going to fight anymore.  Matter of fact we wrapped our arms over each other's shoulders and we went out to greet her.  Big smiles on our faces.  Both of us releeeeeeived the other of us decided to stop fighting because we didn't want to miss the movies.  It took both of us to agree not to fight.  It didn't mean she was right and it didn't mean I was right.  It meant there's something more important than whatever petty things we were fighting about.

At that moment I realized that sometimes the fighting is worth putting away because there's a greater cause at hand.  In that case, it was the movies.  In our case, isn't it Jesus.  He said He wanted others to know that we belong to him why the way we love each other.  What part of our doctrine is more important than Jesus' request for us?

I know some people love their doctrine more than Jesus.  And some people love their church more than Jesus.  that's fine.   Grin  But we can't let them get away with it!!   Grin  I'm joking here.  But for those of us who love Jesus most, must we get in the last word?  It doesn't mean that the other person was right if we just don't answer a post.  It doesn't make us wrong either.  When you get to the point where you danced and danced around a subject, and you've got your rant in, and you've explained it to the best of your ability.  And the other person is of the SAME opinion still, then let it go.

That's what I'm thinking.

Peace

Doing unto others as you would have them do unto you would include not finding your neighbor's biggest fault and then harping on it as if it were your mission.
Heidi
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2004, 06:25:08 PM »

Candice, do you think Jesus was mean when he said to his disciples; "Are you still so dull?" Or, "How long must i be with you?" Do you think he was means to the Pharisees when he called them snakes and a "brood of vipers"?
C C

loving your neighbor includes your neighbor

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2004, 06:40:01 PM »

Hi Heidi!

Grin  Good to see you!  

Did you notice that the Pharisees NEVER agreed with Christ.  

Instead they crucified Him.  

But did you also notice it Christ's very deciples a LOOOOOOOOOONG time to get the true meaning of Christ's mission too.

The deciples were all busy thinking they were going to be the greatest in the kingdom and what not.  When you think about it long enough, it leaves you completely understanding why Christ had to die.  

So, when we see folks that just seem SOOOOOOO FAAAAR away from Christ that its pitiful, remember how many years the deciples walked with Christ and didn't get it.

You know what, I think it takes true suffering and true compassion to finally get passed legalism.

I feel sorry for the people without outward signs of sin because they could easily spend their whole lives and never really understand grace.

You can keep arguing if you wish, but don't ever let it get personal.  If it gets to a point where it gets personal, then stop.  It's not worth it to get your feathers ruffled over some things.

For many people, if they doubt any part of their church's teachings, they could be excommunicated.  Not only that, but their church is the source of their self-esteem.  Not only that but some people's identity isn't in Christ, it's in the social group that they call church.  There's a whole lot riding on them changing their doctrinal position.  Their identity would change and they wouldn't know who they were.  They'd have to doubt themselves.  There's so much to what they believe in and its weaved in all their decisions and relationsips and all that they've done.

Me, there's not much riding on whether or not I change my beliefs.  One thing I do know, is that Legalism will get you in a whole lot of trouble.  

Peace
« Last Edit: June 29, 2004, 06:47:26 PM by Candice Cavalier » Logged

Doing unto others as you would have them do unto you would include not finding your neighbor's biggest fault and then harping on it as if it were your mission.
Heidi
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2004, 07:33:21 PM »

Excellent post, Candice! But Jesus said he did not come to bring peace, but a sword. This does not mean that he intentionally came to cause division, but that division will be a natural repurcussion between those who are for Him and those who are against Him. Notice that he didn't alter the truth because it might hurt people's feelings or keep him alive. He simply came to tell the truth. I agree with every word he said and I will stand up for him even if I'm hated for them. Those who are for him are his true believers. Those who are against him include wolves masquerading as sheep. Jesus said there will be many of them and I believe him. That's why there will be division even among "professed" believers because that includes wolves in sheep's clothing. He again tells us that "by their fruits, we will recognize them." Notice that he did not say "by their words, you will recognize them, because it is their words that are intended to prove to us they are his sheep.

I also agree that one of the biggest dangers for Christians is to worship the church rather than Christ alone. When we worship Christ alone, it will then be easier for us to tell the false prophets from the true ones, because our loyalty is to him over the church.  But if we worship the church then we will defend it with our very lives and change the words in the bible to correspond with church teachings. This is one way in whcih the devil can lead us away from Christ and toward worshiping human beings.
felix102

Jesus Christ is Lord!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2004, 03:33:41 PM »

I know full well what you are talking about. I am happy that you titled this Brothers and Sisters in Christ because this is what we truly are.

The Lord hates 6 things and He finds 7 things detestable......a man who stirs up dessension among brothers. -Proverbs 6:16...19

I am optimistic to see in the future that this forum will find peace among brothers and sisters where the only attacks among us are from non-christians, not from among us. The first thing starts with forgiveness and prayer. Remember what Jesus wanted us to do was to love those who hurt us.

God bless us all

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the