Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 08:42:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286806 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Apologetics (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Is Love Selfish?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is Love Selfish?  (Read 8400 times)
Evangelist
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2004, 12:02:52 PM »

Love: agapao:

The only time agapao is used in scripture is in relation to the love of God. Agapao (or agape if you prefer) is a unique love that is one way. It goes out, and does not expect or anticipate anything in return.

When God prompts me, by His Spirit, to exhibit (do) love (His love, agapao) to someone else, it is unselfish. It does not expect or anticipate anything in return, but is done simply because that is what HE wants.

That I may benefit as a result of showing that love is immaterial...it goes with the territory, and is simply a part and parcel of properly showing that love.

Now, IF I exhibit "love" to someone else with the thought in mind that I will gain some kind of return, whether it be from the one the love is shown to, or by the gathering of a reward in heaven, or even by just feeling better about myself, then I have not exhibited HIS love, which is the ONLY TRUE love....and therefore it is selfish.

So....what kind of love do you have? Agapao, phileo, or eros?

"and Jesus said, Peter, do you agapao me?"
"and peter answered, and said 'yea, Lord, you know that I phileo you'"
"and again, Jesus said, Peter, do you agapao me?"
"and Peter said again, 'Lord, you know that I phileo you' "
"and a third time Jesus said, Peter......do you phileo me?"
"and Peter was wroth, and distressed....."

because he knew by the third question that Jesus (agapao) had come down to Peter's level of understanding and commitment (phileo), which was a two way, scratch your back IF you scratch mine type of love.

BroHank
John 8:12 Ministries  www.john812.com
The Beymers  www.thebeymers.org
Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2004, 04:19:03 PM »

Now, IF I exhibit "love" to someone else with the thought in mind that I will gain some kind of return, whether it be from the one the love is shown to, or by the gathering of a reward in heaven, or even by just feeling better about myself, then I have not exhibited HIS love, which is the ONLY TRUE love....and therefore it is selfish.

I agree.  I would only add that love is what you do for someone.  It isn't a feeling.  If you do something for someone for sake of personal gain, it isn't love.  If you do something for someone to better them, build them up, or to show God's love to them, then it is love.  

Paul addresses this in 1 Corinthians 13:1-3.  Uniquely, it's right smack dab in the middle of his disertation on the gifts.  Why?  Because, as he says, if we do these great things without love, that is, we do them for self and not for others sake, then we are nothing, do nothing and gain nothing.

Love is it's own safeguard.  If the heart is right, the love is shown and expressed.  If the heart is selfish, we are nothing, do nothing, and gain nothing.  We can selfishly give a starving person a meal, or selfishly preach a gospel message, or selfishly die for someone, but if we do so all of it is for naught.  Love is the key.  Can't miss it.  Can't call it selfish and still call it love.   Smiley  Good post there Evangelist.

Just a thought...

"that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death"
Kristi Ann
Gold Member

John 9:1-5 KJV

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2004, 01:05:21 AM »

Right from Kristi Ann's Haven and How I feel about Love!

The Greatest Gift

This is Unconditional Love! Grin

First Corinthians Chapter 13

The Greatest Spiritual Gift

1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal.

2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.

3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profits me nothing.

4 Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up;

5 does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil;

6 does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth;

7 bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

8 Love never fails. But whether there are prophecies, they will fail; whether there are tongues, they will cease; whether there is knowledge, it will vanish away.

9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part.

10 But when that which is perfect has come, then that which is in part will be done away.

11 When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

12 For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known.

13 And now abide faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

More Love;

John 3:16-17

16   For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have Everlasting Life.

17   For God sent not His Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through Him might be saved.

Holy Bible -- King James Version

God is Love, Love is Kind!!!

KristiAnn

« Last Edit: July 17, 2004, 01:07:14 AM by KristiAnn » Logged

Bronzesnake
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2004, 01:55:28 AM »

Here's a sobering thought...

The greatest majority of God's actions from the bible describe His wrath and vengeance upon mankind, as opposed to His love.

Sorry if I've bummed anyone out. Wink

Bronzesnake.
Evangelist
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2004, 10:47:21 AM »

Here's a sobering thought...
The greatest majority of God's actions from the bible describe His wrath and vengeance upon mankind, as opposed to His love.
Sorry if I've bummed anyone out.
Bronzesnake.

No bumming, Bronze....just goes to emphasize the disdain and fitting punishment that God will mete out on those who do not grasp and accept HIS definition of love.

I kinda think He is trying to make a point! Eh?

BroHank
John 8:12 Ministries  www.john812.com
The Beymers  www.thebeymers.org
2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2004, 06:41:20 PM »

I was thinking about it and there isnt one instance of love where I dont benefit. If I am constantly gaining value, by loving someone, is that not selfish? Selflessness is where I sacrifice value and gain none. So if I gain anything by being in love, then it makes love a selfish thing.

I'm a little late on this thread, but try this one on for size...

Joh 15:13  Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Greatest act of Love, Ultimate loss to gain ratio.   Complete selflessness.  

Is this kind of Love selfish?  Try it sometime !  Wink

Grace and Peace!

Tim

Enslaved in service to Christ
JudgeNot
Gold Member

Jesus, remember me... Luke 23:42

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2004, 11:39:50 PM »

There is definitely a "fool" present.  Unfortunately, that fool doesn’t recognize himself.

Covering your tracks is futile; God knows where you're going and where you've been.
JPD
alliecat

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2004, 10:11:37 PM »

You know, I ask myself these kinds of confusing questions all the time and then I just drive myself crazy! My take on love is that it's a wonderful thing that God gave us and we shouldn't take it for granted and we should give it just as much as we recieve it. I am thankful that God gave me the ability to feel love. I can use that ability to love him back!
Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2004, 10:05:41 AM »

There is definitely a "fool" present.  Unfortunately, that fool doesn’t recognize himself.

I do too.  And thanks for pointing it out to everybody.  While you're at it, why don't you give me a paper cut and pour lemon juice on it?!

Grin

Sorry.  Just watched Princess Bride.  Had to be shared.   Cheesy

"that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death"
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the