Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 23, 2024, 02:48:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286866 Posts in 27569 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Apologetics (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Scriptures supporting regular church attendance
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Scriptures supporting regular church attendance  (Read 1287 times)
fastback

View Profile WWW
« on: May 19, 2004, 10:58:30 AM »

Greetings all,

I have an in-law that does not attend church. As a matter of fact, he resents the fact many people - myself included - believe that we should congregate to worship. His argument is typically that he "doesn't need some church to tell him how to worship God" or "take advantage of him." I told him once that it's Biblical for us to go to church, and his claws came out! "The Bible does NOT tell us we have to go to church!" He of course claims to have read the Bible through many times; but yet won't see that all of Paul's letters are themselves outlines for "church-goers." It's the whole forest for the trees thing...

While I know there is no "thou shalt attend church every Sunday" verse - I would very much like to arm myself with as many "pro-church attendance" verses as I can. He's the type that brings things up over and over. And while I don't look forward to arguing; I do believe I should present my case as intellegently as I can (that being with Scriptural references). I'm almost at the point of "shaking the dust off my feet" when I leave his home!

Any and all help is greatly appreciated... Thanks guys!

You may think you hate it now; but wait'll you drive it!
I_Believe

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2004, 02:21:11 PM »

Let us consider how to provoke one another to love and good works, not forsaking our own assembling together, as the custom of some is, but exhorting one another; and so much the more, as you see the Day approaching. (Heb 10:24-25)

How many are required for an assembly?

"If your brother sins against you, go, show him his fault between you and him alone. If he listens to you, you have gained back your brother. But if he doesn't listen, take one or two more with you, that at the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established. If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the assembly. If he refuses to hear the assembly also, let him be to you as a Gentile or a tax collector. Most certainly I tell you, whatever things you bind on earth will have been bound in heaven, and whatever things you release on earth will have been released in heaven. Again, assuredly I tell you, that if two of you will agree on earth concerning anything that they will ask, it will be done for them by my Father who is in heaven. For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there I am in the midst of them." (Mat 18:15-20)

Religion is like a coconut.  You must break through the husk of man's traditions to get to the sweet milk & meat of the gospel of Christ.

These people draw near to me with their mouth, and honor me with their lips...in vain do they worship me, teaching as doctrine rules made by men.
I_Believe

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2004, 02:47:36 PM »

It does not have to be a fancy man pleasing cathedral.  The people are the assembly/church.  Wherever we come together becomes a house of the Lord.

Greet the assembly that is in their house. Greet Epaenetus, my beloved, who is the first fruits of Achaia to Christ. (Rom 16:5)

The assemblies of Asia greet you. Aquila and Priscilla greet you much in the Lord, together with the assembly that is in their house. (1Co 16:19)

Greet the brothers who are in Laodicea, and Nymphas, and the assembly that is in his house. (Col 4:15)

to the beloved Apphia, to Archippus, our fellow soldier, and to the assembly in your house: (Phm 1:2)

You also, as living stones, are built up as a spiritual house, to be a holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God through Jesus Christ. (1Pe 2:5)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2004, 05:12:27 PM by I_Believe » Logged

Religion is like a coconut.  You must break through the husk of man's traditions to get to the sweet milk & meat of the gospel of Christ.

These people draw near to me with their mouth, and honor me with their lips...in vain do they worship me, teaching as doctrine rules made by men.
His Messenger

Will you spend eternity with God?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2004, 04:24:08 PM »

It does not have to a fancy man pleasing cathedral.  The people are the assembly/church.  Wherever we come together becomes a house of the Lord.

with Gods word, good message

His Messenger

For when we were yet without strength, in due time CHRIST DIED FOR THE UNGODLY"
(Romans 5:6).

"And you, being dead in your sins... hath He quickened together with him, HAVING FORGIVEN YOU ALL TRESPASSES"
(Colossians 2:13).

His Messenger

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2004, 04:32:20 PM »

As for me, my preference is the house meeting, for there is no fancy edifice to maintain or to make payments on, no pulpiteer to support, and no questionable projects to financially bolster.  In a setting such as this, the only needs are the destitute and the man whose ministry is full-time evangelism (not pulpiteering).  

If all saints deserted the church edifice and began to meet in private homes or similar places, as the early believers did, all pulpit ministers would be forced to either find a job or go full-time into evangelism, which would surely be a blessing.  For as long as our ecclesiastical orators are tied down to a pulpit, barricaded from us “peasants,” and financially kept afloat, he will never find a job and go to work or get himself involved in full-time evangelism (taking the message of salvation to the unregenerate).  

We have come a long ways since A. D. 33, but from the wrong direction.  If for the first 200 plus years the early saints could set the world on fire without the assistance of church edifices, and they did, why is it so strange to think that we cannot do the same?  Look at AA and how far they have come with their alcohol abuse program.  They own no “alcohol edifices” or structures and have no budget to underpin.  They meet in a communal setting, just anywhere they decide to meet—schools, libraries,  homes, fire stations, and other places.  

We no more need church structures than AA needs to construct a fancy, expensive building to meet in.  And in AA meetings, there are no paid speakers or professional orators.  They mutually share, exchange ideas, encourage each other, and either cry or laugh on each other’s shoulder—the very things we should be doing.  But no!  We pay big bucks to import a professional to do our ministries by proxy!   “It ain't right.”  It’s as wrong as wrong can be.  Heaven does not condone, nor ever has condoned, this digressive practice.

His Messenger

For when we were yet without strength, in due time CHRIST DIED FOR THE UNGODLY"
(Romans 5:6).

"And you, being dead in your sins... hath He quickened together with him, HAVING FORGIVEN YOU ALL TRESPASSES"
(Colossians 2:13).

Heidi
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2004, 09:00:09 AM »

You guys are still seeing the bible as "teachings that are but rules taught by men." Jesus asks us to believe in Him and love God with all our heart, soul, and mind, and our neighbor as ourselves. All the LAW and the Prophest hang on these two commandments." If we love God and our neighbor, then our discernment will come from that. I personally loathe to go and hear false teachings. I would much rather go to bible study and seek out born again Christians for fellowship than listen to a priest or pastor lead people away from Christ. Jesus certainly wouldn't want us to listen to Pharisees.
MalkyEL

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2004, 04:08:22 PM »

wow  Grin  I'm really glad there a few people agreeing that the brick building concept, it not "the church" - but rather those who strive to meet others of like mind to study with.

What do you all think about studying with others on the net versus in person - does that change your perspective?  is this scriptural?

thanx and shalom,
MalkyEL  Smiley

Be mindful of the prisoners, as having been bound with them; of those ill-treated, as also being in the body yourselves.  Hebrews 13:3
Sparrow

Why a llama...why not a kangaroo?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2004, 01:21:17 AM »

wow  Grin  I'm really glad there a few people agreeing that the brick building concept, it not "the church" - but rather those who strive to meet others of like mind to study with.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! a million times...YES.  Cheesy
Heidi
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2004, 11:24:00 PM »

Not to change the subject (which really means I'm changing the subject), but I just got a new computer and can now access the quote button. The problem is that i don't know how. Can someone please help me?
Heidi
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2004, 07:09:16 PM »

I personally prefer to discuss scripture on this forum than listen to pastors whose main agenda is to get the praises of men. Pastors remind me of politicians. They have much to lose if they change their beliefs, whereas people like the BA Christians on this forum have nothing to lose while growing in Christ. I've actually found more BA Christians on this forum than in any church!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the