Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 05:43:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286804 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Fellowship
| |-+  Just For Women (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Homeschool Mom here.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Homeschool Mom here.  (Read 1707 times)
LadyKay4JC

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« on: May 18, 2004, 01:18:08 PM »

My 10 year old daugher, Sarah, just finished school last week! YAY! We use the School of Tomorrow Cirriculum and LOVE it!

Anyway... does anyone have any suggestions for the summer months? I want her to have a break, of course, but I don't want her to forget... however, I don't want her to do her PACES over again because it would be so boring and, of course, that's what summer break is about.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to incorporate some of the concepts that she was taught without it seeming like a "drudgery?"

Thanks alot!

Lady Kay
His_child

Jesus is the Way, the Truth and the Life!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2004, 02:49:49 PM »

My 10 year old daugher, Sarah, just finished school last week! YAY! We use the School of Tomorrow Cirriculum and LOVE it!

Anyway... does anyone have any suggestions for the summer months? I want her to have a break, of course, but I don't want her to forget... however, I don't want her to do her PACES over again because it would be so boring and, of course, that's what summer break is about.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to incorporate some of the concepts that she was taught without it seeming like a "drudgery?"

Thanks alot!

Lady Kay

Hi LadyKay!
During summer months we generally continue some of the curriculum that we haven't finished.
There is also church camp and Girl Scout camp.
We try to take a vacation that involves education.
That probably won't happen this year since my husband has been laid off for 14 months now.
Last year, my mother in law (who lives in MN) paid for us to go to Mt. Rushmore. Of course she went along with us.
Since we had just finished up the Little House on the Prairie series, we stopped at a couple of the Laura Ingalls Wilder Museums along the way.
We live in Indiana and drove there. Along the way we did trivia games about each of the states we were in. On the way there we went through Il, Iowa and MN. On the way back we took the other route and went through Wisconsin.
Then we went down to GA for my family reunion.
Along the way we played more state trivia games and once we got there we learned about red clay (like we had a choice in that! LOL!  Wink)

I'm not following a God that's imagined.
Can't invent His deity.
That's why Jesus is the final answer
To Who I want my God to be.
He's Who I want my God to be.
-  Who? by Peter Furler and Steve Taylor (Newsboys)
LadyKay4JC

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2004, 12:42:58 AM »

Wow!! Great ideas! Sarah loves "car games"... and she's definitely a "trivia" buff... we don't have any problems with her "Bible" time because she's around it constantly... but the trivia games in the car sounds like a great idea! We also finished the "Little House on the Prairie" series... and we live in Missouri so we could take her down to souther Missouri to Mansfield. (I think it's Mansfield!) LOL And she LOVES Branson with Silver Dollar City, so we may go there... lots of history there with the "Shepherd of the Hills" play and such. (Based on the book)

Thank you for those great ideas!

Lady Kay
sincereheart
Gold Member

"and with His stripes we are healed." Isaiah 53:5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2004, 07:30:09 AM »

Summer is a great time for more library visits!
And for writing letters to friends and family.
And for going to see and do all that you may have missed during the year.

Which will keep them learning and they won't feel a thing!  Grin

LadyKay4JC

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2004, 02:56:24 PM »

ROFL!  Cheesy You're right, SincereHeart... I tell you what is VERY encouraging... there are other mothers in the neighborhood that see how advanced Sarah is in her school work (compared to the Public Education) that some are considering homeschooling this fall! One will be that I know of, for sure, so I'm thinking about heading up a " Homeschool support group" right here in our neighborhood. I'm excited about that!

Sarah (10 years old) is not what you would call a 'gifted' child... she hated to read until the end of her second grade year... by the time she was in third grade she was reading the "CS Lewis" books... she had problems with some words but she came to us when she need help.

Her Grandmother bought her a "Game Boy Advance" for the end of the school year. Thankfully, she's one to be more "outdoors" then on the game boy... but I didn't know if there are some "learning" games out there for the game boy.

We also bought a Spanish program last year (Sarah wants to learn spanish so she can talk to the Hispanic children that live about 18 miles away and tell them about Jesus)... so we are going to get started in that... we bought her some "jump start" programs for the computer which she has done so well on. I'm also looking at a program for Homeschoolers that will test their abilities and teach them through games. We limit her on the "computer" usage... but she enjoys the games... but now that school is officially "out" for her, she's more apt to be outdoors in the field or in the pool... ROFL

Thanks for the support!
Lady Kay
sincereheart
Gold Member

"and with His stripes we are healed." Isaiah 53:5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2004, 06:19:25 AM »

Isn't it amazing how a choice to homeschool quickly becomes a mission field?  Cheesy

Sounds like Sarah is doing well! I especially love the part about learning Spanish - for the best reason! Wink

I haven't come across any educational games for GBA. If you do, please let me know!

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the