Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:48:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286806 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Apologetics (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Atonement
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Atonement  (Read 2284 times)
TalmidDaniel

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« on: May 24, 2003, 08:53:58 PM »

Shalom! My name is Daniel, and I have a question I would like to respectfully put to the group here. I would like to know why you believe that Jesus qualifies as the final sacrifice for the atonement of sins.
  To answer this question, please reference the "Old Testament," (it grieves me to write that), and specifically, please use the Torah. We all would agree that that's where
G-d gave us very specific information on how to offer a sacrifice, (if it wasn't done exactlyas G-d told Moshe, blessed be he, then it was an abomination and would not be accepted. It is also there, (Leviticus), that we are told when (and when not) to make a sacrifice, under what circumstances, by whom, and a million other how's, when's and why's. Please don't follow 'the norm' and quote for me Lev.17:11. I'll tell you why:
  The common Biblical reference cited in support of the claim that the shedding of blood is a necessary condition for the atonement of sins is the following portion of a verse:

Leviticus 17:11(KJV) - "…for it is the blood that maketh an atonement for the soul."

The apparent message contained in this portion of the verse is echoed on a number of occasions in the New Testament.  Consequently, a superficial reading of the verse in Leviticus, without looking at the entire passage and placing it in its proper context, will almost certainly lead one to conclude that only by being covered by the blood of Jesus on the cross can one have any hope of being forgiven for his or her sins.

This verse is part of a passage that ostensibly deals with the prohibition on the consumption of blood.  When this verse is considered in its entirety, it becomes evident that a specific statement concerning blood is conveyed.  Namely, that the blood of the sacrifice must be placed "… upon the altar to atone for your souls; …", i.e., that the only way blood can bring atonement is if placed on the sacrificial altar in the Temple - this is a necessary condition, a requirement.  The pertinent question here is:  "Was the blood of Jesus sprinkled on the altar as specified in Leviticus 17:11?"

I'll stop here for now and wait to see some of the responses you come back with. I offer this question in good faith, with much respect, as I am a guest on your site. Remember, as it is written, "iron sharpens iron."

Be Well,
Daniel Wink

"SEARCHING THE SCRIPTURES DILIGENTLY FOR SPIRITUAL TRUTHS WHILE COMBATING DOCTRINAL LIES THAT DISTORT AND PERVERT THE KNOWLEDGE AND UNDERSTANDING OF G-D."
Petro
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2003, 03:27:23 PM »

Yehudi  aka; Daniel,

Your questions are good, they excercise the gray matter, which is even better..

Only by doing this can, we settle questions that seem to be inconsistent, with what has been written.

This verse is part of a passage that ostensibly deals with the prohibition on the consumption of blood. When this verse is considered in its entirety, it becomes evident that a specific statement concerning blood is conveyed. Namely, that the blood of the sacrifice must be placed "… upon the altar to atone for your souls; …", i.e., that the only way blood can bring atonement is if placed on the sacrificial altar in the Temple - this is a necessary condition, a requirement. The pertinent question here is: "Was the blood of Jesus sprinkled on the altar as specified in Leviticus 17:11?"

Daniel,

In the Geneology  Thread, I posted from the letter to the Hebrews, and we saw, how, the NT was also ratified by blood as the OT, and how that Abraham, was made promises by God, while he yet was uncircumcised  that he would be the father also, of those that came by that same faith he excercised in believeing  God, which produced righteousness in him.

So then of necessity it is,  that Jesus being the author of a New Covenant, who ratified it by his own blood, also offer up the blood, at the alter.  

Remember that Hebrews tells us that the earthly tabernacle which Moses made, was a shadow of the really tabernacle which the Lord made in the heavens, of which where Jesus performs service. (Heb 8:1-5)

And since He is our high priest;

A minister of the sanctuary, and of the true tabernacle, which the Lord pitched, and not man. (Heb 8:2)

He offered his own blood, at that alter, in the heavenlies,  not made with humans hands, so that;

Heb 13
10  We have an altar, whereof they (the priests who minister the OT) have no right to eat which serve the tabernacle.
11  For the bodies of those beasts, whose blood is brought into the sanctuary by the high priest for sin, are burned without the camp.
12  Wherefore Jesus also, that he might sanctify the people with his own blood, suffered outside the gate.

Since by His sacrifice He............ "hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father;" (Rev 1:6, 5:10) so that we, who were once outside the promises of God, who have come to that same faith of  Abraham,  shall reign on the earth.

So, our eyes are not earthly temples or tabernaclers, but on Him, who everliveth, and makes intercession for us at the very Throne of God.

Final question, who publishes that book you reference, and where can one obtain at copy.

Thank you, and

God Bless,

Petro
« Last Edit: May 25, 2003, 03:40:04 PM by Petro » Logged

Yehudi

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2003, 04:24:32 PM »

Petro,

Shalom and thank you for your post. To answer your question, the Hebrew Scriptures that I read are published by Mesorah Publications, and you can buy it at about any bookstore that has a sizeable Jewish section. You can also order it. I checked on amazon.com, but they don't have the one I use. They have the Tanakh that is published by JPS, (the Jewish Publication Society). I'm not familiar with that text, but I'm quite sure it is reliable. A Jewish society is not going to publish Scripture that is mistranslated. Actually, Petro, what I would recommend is buying a Chumash. It is a Torah with commentary. An example is here:http://www.chabad.org/dailystudy/default.asp?AID=6207
Every week we read a section of Torah in synagogue. This is the current section that will be read next Shabbat, (Saturday), and it is paired with commentary from Rashi, one of our greatest and most studied Rabbis. Good luck, and feel free to ask me any questions you may have.

Be Well,
Daniel Wink

"SEARCHING THE SCRIPTURES DILIGENTLY FOR SPIRITUAL TRUTHS WHILE COMBATING DOCTRINAL LIES THAT DISTORT AND PERVERT THE KNOWLEDGE AND UNDERSTANDING OF G-D."
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the