Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 06:09:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286805 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Debate (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  One Father who is in heaven
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] Go Down Print
Author Topic: One Father who is in heaven  (Read 17799 times)
one in christ

I am a child of god

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: May 01, 2004, 07:01:38 PM »

i dont think it was right for them to kick you out if they were certain in there  religion and belief in that they wouldnt be offended by your call  on blashphame

one in christ

I am a child of god

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 01, 2004, 07:46:00 PM »

ebia you said :Just in case youv'e forgotten, I'm not Catholic and I don't "adhere to their doctrine."

if that is true then why defend the RCC and its pope
ebia
Gold Member

umm

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 01, 2004, 10:36:04 PM »

Then you completely missed the point of the passage I quoted. The whole reason it was in there is that the disciples were referring to the blood brothers and mother of Jesus to which Jesus alluded that blood brothers do not count.
And the point still stands just as well whether they are full brothers in the modern sense, half brothers, or cousins.   You are applying a very modern "nuclear family" mindset to scriptures written in a completely different context and understanding of family.

"You shall know the truth, the truth shall set you free.

Christ doesn't need lies or censorship.
ebia
Gold Member

umm

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 01, 2004, 10:36:17 PM »

ebia you said :Just in case youv'e forgotten, I'm not Catholic and I don't "adhere to their doctrine."

Read my sig-line for your answer.

one in christ

I am a child of god

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 02, 2004, 12:46:31 AM »

whats  a sig-line  Huh  and why cant you give a straight answer
ebia
Gold Member

umm

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 02, 2004, 01:15:36 AM »

whats  a sig-line  Huh  and why cant you give a straight answer
The signature line is the line(s) at the bottom of each of a person's posts.

It is a straight answer.

His_child

Jesus is the Way, the Truth and the Life!

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 02, 2004, 01:50:08 AM »

You do NOT see the contradiction in your post, Nickolai. How can the BROTHER of Jesus say this his mother was a virgin? It's absolutely impossible! If Mary was a virgin all her life, then how was James born? That's why that statement is completely bogus and was not canonized. For some reason, you have a hard time seeing through false teaching.

He was a son of Joseph's But since the word in greek used at the time (Adelphos) means all close relatives he can still be called brother without litlerally being a full blood brother

How many wives did Joseph have?

I'm not following a God that's imagined.
Can't invent His deity.
That's why Jesus is the final answer
To Who I want my God to be.
He's Who I want my God to be.
-  Who? by Peter Furler and Steve Taylor (Newsboys)
ebia
Gold Member

umm

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 02, 2004, 01:59:50 AM »

You do NOT see the contradiction in your post, Nickolai. How can the BROTHER of Jesus say this his mother was a virgin? It's absolutely impossible! If Mary was a virgin all her life, then how was James born? That's why that statement is completely bogus and was not canonized. For some reason, you have a hard time seeing through false teaching.

He was a son of Joseph's But since the word in greek used at the time (Adelphos) means all close relatives he can still be called brother without litlerally being a full blood brother

According to tradition, he was a widower when he married Mary.  So Two.

His_child

Jesus is the Way, the Truth and the Life!

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 02, 2004, 02:01:57 AM »

According to tradition, he was a widower when he married Mary.  So Two.

And that tradition is backed up by which Scriptures?
Wouldn't he have had to take his whole family into Bethlehem?

I'm not following a God that's imagined.
Can't invent His deity.
That's why Jesus is the final answer
To Who I want my God to be.
He's Who I want my God to be.
-  Who? by Peter Furler and Steve Taylor (Newsboys)
ebia
Gold Member

umm

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 02, 2004, 03:02:37 AM »

And that tradition is backed up by which Scriptures?
Joseph being an older man is consistant with the fact that he drops out of the picture after Luke Ch 2.

Other than that, scripture doesn't tell us very much about Joseph.  Other non-canonical writings and oral tradition fill in some of the gaps.

Wouldn't he have had to take his whole family into Bethlehem?
Apparently not.

Sower

Romans 8:31-39

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 02, 2004, 03:50:29 AM »

Jesus had brothers and sisters.
Except that the word used can also mean more distant relatives such as cousins.

Except that in Scripture words have been very carefully selected and placed there by the Holy Spirit. "And behold thy COUSIN Elisabeth, she hath also conceived a son in her old age... And her neighbours and her COUSINS heard how the Lord had shewed great mercy upon her; and they rejoiced with her" (Lk, 1:36;58). That Greek word suggenes is used only twice in the NT, and means a blood relative, or kinsman.

However, when we come to Matthew 12:46,47 we read of Christ's mother and BRETHREN. That Greek word is adelphos which combines a + delphus [womb] meaning FROM THE SAME WOMB, and literally brothers [unless used figuratively according to the context].

So your explanation [which is the automatic Catholic response to Christ's half-brothers] has no foundation in Scripture, and was invented later to create the dogma about the perpetual virginity of Mary.

Grace, mercy, and peace, from God our Father, and Jesus Christ our Lord. 1 Timothy 1:2
ebia
Gold Member

umm

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 02, 2004, 07:32:03 AM »

Jesus had brothers and sisters.
Except that the word used can also mean more distant relatives such as cousins.

Except that in Scripture words have been very carefully selected and placed there by the Holy Spirit. "And behold thy COUSIN Elisabeth, she hath also conceived a son in her old age... And her neighbours and her COUSINS heard how the Lord had shewed great mercy upon her; and they rejoiced with her" (Lk, 1:36;58). That Greek word suggenes is used only twice in the NT, and means a blood relative, or kinsman.

However, when we come to Matthew 12:46,47 we read of Christ's mother and BRETHREN. That Greek word is adelphos which combines a + delphus [womb] meaning FROM THE SAME WOMB, and literally brothers [unless used figuratively according to the context].

So your explanation [which is the automatic Catholic response to Christ's half-brothers] has no foundation in Scripture, and was invented later to create the dogma about the perpetual virginity of Mary.
1.  There is a context - the early church, and the catholic and orthodox churches still - knew that Christ had no brothers through Mary.
2.  Any protestant apologest worth his salt knows that you can't assume words are used identically by different biblical authors - indeed, you need to assume they use words differently to resolve some of the apparent contradictions in the gospel accounts.

ollie
Gold Member

Being born again, .....by the word of God,

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 02, 2004, 05:16:08 PM »

Symphony --

I've wondered about it in Disney's 1940 "Pinocchio".  When Pinoke is searching for his father, he's calling out, "Father! Father!"  Jiminy Cricket following suit, says equally, "Father!..." --then catches himself, and says, "Harumph!.  He's not my father."  And then goes on, calling out, "Mr. Gepeddo, oh Mr. Gepeddo."

when was the last time you saw Pinnochio ??

Most people saw that when they were but children, and wouldn't remember a word of it.  wow  wow wow
Most people saw it when they were children, then again with their children, and some even again with grandchildren and then again with great grandchildren. One has many opportunities to see the Disney flicks over and over ad infinitum. That is if one has procreated and the kids are conscious.

Ollie

Support your local Christian.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the