Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 04:11:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286806 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  General Theology (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  The church and salvation
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The church and salvation  (Read 12850 times)
mardis

Visit the churches of Christ - Romans 16:16.

View Profile WWW
« on: May 16, 2003, 02:32:55 PM »

Hello everyone.   Smiley

This is my first posting.  Feel free to contact me at pagestoyou@yahoo.com or www.pagestoyou.com for more information.

God's Plan of Salvation
To be saved we must hear the word - Romans 10:14-17.
To be saved we must believe - John 8:24.
To be saved we must repent of sins - Luke 13:3-5.
To be saved we must confess faith in Jesus - Romans 10:9-10; Acts 8:35-38.
To be saved we must be baptized (water immersion) - Mark 16:16; Acts 2:38; Acts 8:35-38; Romans 6:3-4.

The saved are added to the church that Jesus built - Acts 2:47; Romans 16:16.

Thanks everyone.  I look forward to your posts.

Online Bible Studies at www.pagestoyou.com.
Ambassador4Christ
Gold Member

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2003, 03:42:59 PM »

Hello everyone.   Smiley

This is my first posting.  Feel free to contact me at pagestoyou@yahoo.com or www.pagestoyou.com for more information.

God's Plan of Salvation
To be saved we must be baptized (water immersion) - Mark 16:16; Acts 2:38; Acts 8:35-38; Romans 6:3-4.

Your in the wrong (church)  Grin

Your welcome  Grin

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

http://forums.christiansunite.com/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=550

Galatians 4:16   Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
mardis

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2003, 10:00:54 AM »

The church of Christ is the church of the Bible (Romans 16:16; Acts 2:47; 1 Corinthians 12:13).  What greater confidence could one have about the church they are in?

Thanks everyone.

mardis

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2003, 05:27:22 PM »

Is this the authority,(name), of the lord; Which one must call on to be saved?

To call upon the name of the Lord means more than calling Him Lord - Matthew 7:21.

To call upon the name of the Lord is to obey Him.  For example, we obey the Lord by being baptized to have our sins washed away with the blood of Christ, and thereby are calling upon the name of the Lord in this act - Mark 16:16; Acts 22:16.

mardis

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2003, 11:40:15 AM »

Hello everyone.   Smiley

God's Plan of Salvation

Also, the Bible does not teach that we are saved by faith only.  The only time faith only occurs is in James 2:24, which says that we are not saved by faith only.  We must believe, repent, confess our faith in Christ, and we must be baptized (Water immersion) to be saved by the precious blood of Jesus (Acts 20:28).  

Reba
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2003, 12:30:35 PM »

In the presence of HIM will you dare to say YOUR BLOOD was not enough so i was washed in the river? YOUR sacrifice on the CROSS was not complete so i have a continuing list of my sins i am confessing. I read YOUR WORD it said....

Eph 2  8.  For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
 9.  Not of works, lest any man should boast.

But i am smarter then that  and i knew  that is not  what YOU really meant  so i helped YOU .... i worked  I finished  what YOU could not...
mardis

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2003, 11:17:59 AM »

In the presence of HIM will you dare to say YOUR BLOOD was not enough so i was washed in the river? YOUR sacrifice on the CROSS was not complete so i have a continuing list of my sins i am confessing. I read YOUR WORD it said....

Eph 2  8.  For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
 9.  Not of works, lest any man should boast.

But i am smarter then that  and i knew  that is not  what YOU really meant  so i helped YOU .... i worked  I finished  what YOU could not...

Reba,

Thank you for taking the time to post information.  However, I am not sure what it is you are asking.  I get the impression that you do not believe that the Bible teaches that we must be baptized to be saved.  

The blood of Jesus is what washes away our sins - Acts 20:28.

However, Jesus will not save us unless we obey Him - Hebrews 5:8-9.

We are not saved by faith only - James 2:24.

We must believe and be baptized to be saved - Mark 16:16.

We must believe (Romans 10:14-17; John 8:24); and repent (Luke 13:3-5); and confess faith in Jesus (Romans 10:9-10; Acts 8:35-38); and must be baptized to be saved (Mark 16:16; Acts 2:38; Acts 22:16; Romans 6:3-4).  

This is not working to merit salvation, because we cannot merit salvation.  However, there is something we must do to receive God's gracious redemptive work.  This includes baptism for the remission of sins (Acts 2:38).

Thank you everyone and I look forward to our continued discussion on this topic.

Mardis

packy

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2003, 03:09:36 AM »

Mardis,

As far as Protestantism goes you are getting warm! The Church of Christ has much of the historical Churchs practices and beliefs and truely does not exclude inconvenient passages.

However you must ask yourself: "which came first the Bible or the Church?"

If your answer is the Church then you must conclude that it was in existence before the codification of the Bible. The Churchs relied on councils and the faith in the succession of the Apostolic traditions. When the Bible cam einto being as a physical book the people didnt suddenly go "oh my! We've screwed up!" They continued in their faith.

It was the Apostolic Succession that ensured the faith for generations. It was this succession that ensured the creation of the Bible...

But it didnt simply die off upon completion of the Bible..in fact this Christ initiated faith continues today: In orthodoxy.

It was my wifes faith in the Church of Christ that lead me to the path of Orthodoxy...
packy

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2003, 03:16:55 AM »

One other thing...

Faith is an action. Most protestant denominations use modern concepts to explain the teaching in the Bible.

Yes you must "repent and be baptized for the remission of sin"..this is Peter to the masses in Acts.

It's like this:

Christ showed us the path and gave us the key...however we must actively turn the key! (Baptism is that key).

Other Protestants would stop at having the key and standing there....

waiting...

still waiting...
Saved_4ever
Gold Member

A KJV bible believing Christian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2003, 05:26:43 AM »

Orthodoxy is most certainly not the way you may as well be part of the RCC.

One does NOT need to baptized to be saved.  Baptisim is most certainly bilical but it is not a requirement to be baptized.

We are saved by faith alone as the bible states.  James does not even BEGIN to elude to the idea we are saved by anything other than faith.  Our works justify us before men not God.

God bless,
Jason

mardis

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2003, 10:25:50 AM »

Hello everyone.  Thanks for your interest in this post.  My purpose is to contend for the faith (Jude 3) in a spirit of love (Ephesians 4:15).  

Saved_4ever:

The Bible teaches that to be saved a person must:

Baptism is essential to being saved (see citations above).  The only time the Bible mentions faith alone is in James 2:24 which does more than imply, it specfically states that we are not saved by faith only.  We will not be saved unless we obey the Lord (Hebrews 5:8-9).  This includes baptism (Mark 16:16).  

Thank you everyone for your participation.  I look forward to our continued studies, if the Lord is willing.

packy

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2003, 09:23:11 PM »

Sword,

Uuuhh, your post reflects the usual lack of knowledge of both history and theology.

I suggest you study Christianity.

Protestantism is like a one legged man running a 10k.

THe Bible is that leg...but the Chruch body is as important- the bride of Christ.

Protestants were so fed up with the legalistic and repressive Catholic church that they ran away from any real Church body...

That is why every day there is a new church popping up under the Protestant banner. If you dont like the church stay home and start you're own!- the mantra of most I dare say.

CAtholicism has Orthodox trappings with Protestant legalisms..you all source your attitudes and faith on four men:

Blessed Augustine(Cathollics start and stop here)
Calvin
Luther
Zwinglli

YOu claim sola scriptura yet there are thousands of sola scriptura denominations! While these four were hardly guilty of intentional misleadings- they knew the RC was wrong but didnt know how to right it. The recipe they held to gave rise to collections of of little churchlets.

If sola scriuptura were the soul means for Christianity then the church would have waited til it was finished and of course plopped in their laps, (actually the apostles would have sat around before they bothered to convert anyone). In many ways the sola scriptura view is a continuation of legalism birthed in the RC. It replaced a wayward bishopry with the Bible...

Better but not complete
Petro
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2003, 11:13:20 PM »

There are two things, that don't quite, sound right.

1. One must be baptized, (water immersion) to be saved.

What happened to the Baptism with the Holy Ghost, which Jesus baptizes with..

Water baptism doesn't save anyone, but being baptized with the Holy Ghost by Jesus does.

Luke 3
16  John answered, saying unto them all, I indeed baptize you with water; but one mightier than I cometh, the latchet of whose shoes I am not worthy to unloose: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost and with fire: (also, Mat 3:11, Mk 1:Cool

And the Apostle John , writes;

Jhn 1
33  And I knew him not: but he that sent me to baptize with water, the same said unto me, Upon whom thou shalt see the Spirit descending, and remaining on him, the same is he which baptizeth with the Holy Ghost.

So, which baptism is in view, herein, where Jesus say;

Mat 16
16  He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned..

If you think it is water, baptism, why and how can you reconcile it with Luke 3:16, Mat 3:11, and Mk 1:8.??

2.  One must do some work;

What work?? Must one do to be saved??

The works, which prove one is saved are done after, that person is saved, this is the evidence he/she has been saved.

But that is not the question, Mardis, herein has stated, one must do somekind of work to be saved,  so, I ask what work must one do to be saved??

Please show your work using scripture..

Abraham, was saved without works, it is written he believed and it was counted unto him, for righteouness, in fact here is the scripture passage;

Rom 4
1  What shall we say then that Abraham our father, as pertaining to the flesh, hath found?
2  For if Abraham were justified by works, he hath whereof to glory; but not before God.
3  For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness.
4  Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt.
5  But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.

God chose Abraham, and set him apart, that he might believe the truth, and when he believed the truth concerning God, he was saved.

If believing is a work, I guess I would have to concede, that Abraham, did some kind of work, since he did climb the mountain, while carrying the wood pile, on his way to sacrifice Isaac, as commanded by God, on the other hand, obeying God command is work also, and in doing so, someone can show a measure of faith.

But the scriptures tell us that Faith, is a free gift, given by God thru his grace;

Eph 2
8  For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
9  Not of works, lest any man should boast.

And salvation is obtained by the excersicing of it, and it is not a work.

The Gospel is actually very simple, and at the same time, it is difficult to grasp, because man, being man, always wants to add to it, his 2 cents;

But the Word of God, says;

Rom 10
8  But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach;
9  That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
10  For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

Blessings,  

Petro
« Last Edit: May 27, 2003, 11:42:55 PM by Petro » Logged

Saved_4ever
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2003, 01:05:47 AM »

I guess you aren't reading your bible much huh?  You also seem to be a bit dense concering James but that's another matter.

Ro 3:28
Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.
Ro 3:30
Seeing it is one God, which shall justify the circumcision by faith, and uncircumcision through faith.
Ro 4:16
Therefore it is of faith, that it might be by grace; to the end the promise might be sure to all the seed; not to that only which is of the law, but to that also which is of the faith
of Abraham; who is the father of us all,
Ro 5:1
Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:
Ro 5:2
By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.
Ro 9:32
Wherefore? Because they sought it not by faith, but as it were by the works of the law. For they stumbled at that stumblingstone;
Ro 10:17
So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
Ro 11:20
Well; because of unbelief they were broken off, and thou standest by faith. Be not highminded, but fear:
2Co 5:7
(For we walk by faith, not by sight:)
Ga 2:16
Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the
faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.
Ga 3:11
But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith.
Ga 3:22
But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe.
Ga 3:24
Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to
bring us unto Christ, that we might be
justified by faith.
Ga 3:26
For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.
Ga 5:5
For we through the Spirit wait for the hope of righteousness by faith.
Ga 5:6
For in Jesus Christ neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision; but faith which worketh by love.
Eph 2:8
For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

Sounds like a whole lotta faith to me.  Want to see some more?

Saved_4ever
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2003, 01:11:23 AM »

Uuuhh, your post reflects the usual lack of knowledge of both history and theology.

I suggest you study Christianity.

You might want to try and do the same eh?

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the