Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:04:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286777 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Debate (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Biblical proof for the Rapture
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Biblical proof for the Rapture  (Read 8487 times)
creationist

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« on: March 18, 2004, 03:40:48 AM »

Dear brothers and sisters in Christ.
Our Catholic friends seem to think that the Rapture is not a Biblical teaching. I have been asked by Tibby to prove it's existence in the Scriptures, so, here I go. Grin Please feel free to join in and lend me a hand. I aint much of a wordsmith and time isn't what I have much of (work and family commitments take up much of my time).
OK. Here I go. I’ll start with a little plagiarism for an introduction to the topic (love that copy paste function ) Smiley

Where do we get the term "Rapture"? The term "rapture" is not found in the Bible, so where does the word come from? The term "rapture" comes from the Latin translation of the Greek word translated "caught up" in 1 Thessalonians 4:17. Charles Ryrie explains, "The Greek word from which we take the term 'rapture' appears in 1 Thessalonians 4:17, translated 'caught up.' The Latin translation of this verse used the word rapturo. The Greek word it translates is harpazo, which means to snatch or take away.
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2004, 11:08:26 AM »

First of all, it isn’t Catholics. The majority of the God-Fearing world don’t believe this silly doctrine. So, the word IS in the bible, eh? That is where our word comes from.  That is nice, but I already said it doesn’t matter whether or not the WORD is there, it is the doctrine I’m talking about.

P.S. I think the Latin term is rapiemur.

Was there ever a time when Common sence was common?
Nickolai

Eastern Orthodoxy is Awesome

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2004, 11:16:37 AM »

It's a historical fact that the Idea of the Rapture didn't come about until the 1800's.  Some woman was reading that verse in Thessalonians and when she went to sleep she had a dream in which she saw all the Christians of the Earth getting raptured before the Tribulation.  and through some wild eisegesis she came up with the doctrine  

Funny that this idea never existed in the Church for 1700 plus years, and that the Scriptural "evidence" is questionable at best.

I personnally think that the "Rapture" Idea is the work of Satan.  when the Anti-christ comes many people will fall away because they didn't get their "Promised" rapture.    
Reba
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2004, 11:33:25 AM »

It's a historical fact that the Idea of the Rapture didn't come about until the 1800's.  Some woman was reading that verse in Thessalonians and when she went to sleep she had a dream in which she saw all the Christians of the Earth getting raptured before the Tribulation.  and through some wild eisegesis she came up with the doctrine  

Funny that this idea never existed in the Church for 1700 plus years, and that the Scriptural "evidence" is questionable at best.

I personnally think that the "Rapture" Idea is the work of Satan.  when the Anti-christ comes many people will fall away because they didn't get their "Promised" rapture.    

What scripture says   'the antichrist'?
AJ

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2004, 11:39:36 AM »

The word caught up is in Rev 12:5

Rev 2:26  And he that overcometh, and keepeth my works unto the end, to him will I give power over the nations:
Rev 2:27  And he shall rule them with a rod of iron; as the vessels of a potter shall they be broken to shivers: even as I received of my Father.

Rev 12:5  And she brought forth a man child, who was to rule all nations with a rod of iron: and her child was caught up unto God, and [to] his throne.

Isa 66:5  Hear the word of the LORD, ye that tremble at his word; Your brethren that hated you, that cast you out for my name's sake, said, Let the LORD be glorified: but he shall appear to your joy, and they shall be ashamed.
Isa 66:6  A voice of noise from the city, a voice from the temple, a voice of the LORD that rendereth recompence to his enemies.
Isa 66:7  Before she travailed, she brought forth; before her pain came, she was delivered of a man child.
Isa 66:8  Who hath heard such a thing? who hath seen such things? Shall the earth be made to bring forth in one day? [or] shall a nation be born at once? for as soon as Zion travailed, she brought forth her children.

But who is the children of Zion? Grin

Then we have the Resurrection...people will be caught up then as well.

Like i said in a post somewhere else, we will likely only know what this all means when it begins to happen
Psalm 119

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2004, 07:45:24 PM »

Nikolai,

Margaret McDonald of Glasgow Scotland (1830's) is the lady who had the dream of getting caught up. Edward Irving ( the Irvingites) propoagated this new doctrine, along with Darby.  

You state correctly that this doctrine of a pre-tribulation "rapture" was not taught in the church for the first 1700 plus years.

IMHO I believe the pre-tribulation doctrine will be one of the catalyst's for the great falling away.When many who thought they would escape persecution, and don't, they will be angry at God. Many will not be able to stand.

Tim Lahaye and all those who have misled the sheep, have alot to answer for.

Psalm 119
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2004, 08:05:31 PM »

Yes, as I in the other post, all the people who created the Rapture theory where devote catholics, some even preists. The 7-year trib, the rapture, etc, etc, all Catholic ideas. Strange how most of the left behinders are anti-catholic, Lahaye among them.

creationist

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2004, 01:36:44 AM »

So Catholics changed their minds? I thought they were the chosen Church who knew everything? I thought the pope was infalible?
ebia
Gold Member

umm

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2004, 01:55:39 AM »

So Catholics changed their minds? I thought they were the chosen Church who knew everything? I thought the pope was infalible?
Catholics change their mind all the time.

The Catholic Church as a whole is supposed to be infallable, and the Pope when (and only when) he speaks ex-cathedra.

Individual catholics are just as falliable as anyone else.

"You shall know the truth, the truth shall set you free.

Christ doesn't need lies or censorship.
Petro
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2004, 02:57:12 AM »

ebia,

I can't believe my ears, you mean the pope is fallible?

Does tibby agree with you?

Petro

Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2004, 08:41:29 AM »

Creationist- I'm ditto'ing what ebia said. You are just confused. These where never doctines the Church Changed its mind on, I never said that. These are doctines members of the church, Catholics, invited.

Petro- Ebia didn't say hte Pope isn't infallible. Ebia said what I've said all along, it is all about the ex-cathedra. Wink Cheesy

one sheep

The fear of The Lord is the beginning of wisdom

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2005, 09:11:02 PM »

I agree with Psalms 119-

Tim Lahaye is just a storyteller who knows nothing about prophecy.  He's a rich man capitalizing on the selling of fear to people who don't study scripture. But the so-called "Church" loves his books regardless. And he's proporting lies, for money. That is the doctrine of devils (diamonion) distributor of fortunes.

Anyone, please name one of God's true prophets that were rich. They were all hated, infamous, threatened, and abased, but they all spoke the same thing.
And the Pope is not infailible, he's a man, dust, nothing greater  that any other man. He's voted into the office by other sinful men, not by God.
Jesus said call NO man, Father on the Earth, for one IS your Father which is in Heaven. Matt 23:9
Pope, means "papa" He's just a man, period. I don't take my instruction from "the chair" ex-cathedra.

But from The Lord of Heaven and Earth.

In the Ancient Jewish culture, a man was not considered to be the son of his father, unless he obeyed his father. This can be found in any number of Jewish culture books. And that is who God gave his instruction to, not the pagans nations of later generations. So when Jesus said this, they understood exactly what he meant.

It took hundreds of years for the RCC to evolve ito what the so-called 'Church Fathers' wanted it to be. And they had a great impact on what was put into the Authorized Version of scripture.

Proof. The word Lucifer for example, is a Latin word. How did it find it's way into the Hebrew Old Testament, BEFORE the Latin language? Because of a Catholic translator.

Believe GOD, not man. All men are is corrupted dust.

a mathetes.

Bronzesnake
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2005, 12:02:37 AM »

Tim Lahaye doesn't claim to be a prophet.
Lazerus was beloved by Jesus - Lazerus was rich.
Joseph of Aramathia was a rich man who gave Jesus his own tomb.

Phil121

Insert pithy comment here

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2005, 12:20:47 AM »

Tim Lahaye is just a storyteller who knows nothing about prophecy.

I guess you never read any of his non-fiction stuff, huh? Roll Eyes

And if you want to see saome REAL Apostasy, Check this out...http://www.christianforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=17502

"To live is Christ, To die is gain"...Phillipians 1:21
TEXASGRANDMA

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2005, 12:27:42 AM »

I believe in the pre-trib rapture.  The great falling away is not anything to do with the pre-trib rapture but Christians who are begining to believe  that all roads lead to Heaven.
betty

hugs and prayers,
Betty
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the