Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:51:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286775 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Apologetics (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  "Easter, Should It Be In Your Bible?"
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Easter, Should It Be In Your Bible?"  (Read 8604 times)
The Crusader
« on: March 02, 2004, 05:37:23 AM »

"Easter, Should It Be In Your Bible?"

By Pastor Joel Finck

"Now about that time Herod the king stretched forth his hands to vex certain of the church. And he killed James the brother of John with the sword. And because he saw it pleased the Jews, he proceeded further to take Peter also (Then were the days of unleavened bread). And when he had apprehended him, he put him in prison, and delivered him to four quaternions of soldiers to keep him; intending after Easter to bring him forth to the people" (Acts 12:1-4).

Here in Acts 12:4 the term "Easter" is the translation of the Greek word, pascha. In all of its 28 other occurrences in the New Testament it is rendered "passover." Acts 12:4 is the lone exception.

The careful student of Scripture will immediately ask, "Why should a word which is so consistently translated one way, be translated another way here?" We believe that when all things are carefully considered, from the Word of God, we will reach the conclusion that pascha should be rendered "passover" in this text, just as it is in the other 28 places.

TWO FEASTS, ONE OBSERVANCE
While it is true that the feasts of passover and unleavened bread are two distinct entities, God's prescribed method of observing them led to them being considered one and the same. This is because they were observed together as one festival during the first of three yearly convocations in Israel. "Three times thou shall keep A FEAST unto me in the year" (Exod. 23:14). Notice that it does not say "thou shall keep some feasts" but "A FEAST," even though two feasts were held at this time. Deuteronomy 16:16 further explains, "Three times in a year shall all thy males appear before the LORD thy God in the place which he shall choose; in the feast of unleavened bread, and in the feast of weeks, and in the feast of tabernacles...."

That these two feasts were observed as one is confirmed in Ezekiel's prophecy concerning their future observance in the kingdom: "In the first month, in the fourteenth day of the month, ye shall have the passover, A FEAST OF SEVEN DAYS; unleavened bread shall be eaten" (Ezek. 45:21). It's obvious from this text that the entire week was considered the "passover" even though the seven days of unleavened bread are also mentioned. This is why Luke 22:1 says "the feast of unleavened bread...is called the passover." Luke 22:7 goes on to say, "Then came the day of unleavened bread, when the passover must be killed." To say that "where both the terms passover and `days (or day) of unleavened bread' are found in the same passage refer to the two as distinct entities" is forced at best; untrue at worst.

WHY DID HEROD WAIT?
Was Herod waiting for a Jewish or a pagan festival to end before bringing Peter forth to the people (Acts 12:4)? Scriptural evidence points to the Jewish passover, not the pagan "Easter."

As has already been pointed out, the word translated "Easter" here is consistently rendered "passover" in all other places. But what about the argument that the passover itself was already finished, since Peter was arrested during "the days of unleavened bread?" There are two distinctly Scriptural possibilities which adequately answer this without interjecting a pagan holiday into the text. The first is the fact, already mentioned, that the passover is already identified in Scripture as "a feast of seven days" (Ezek. 45:21). The second is, to borrow an expression from the world of sports, "it's not over 'til it's over." According to Numbers 9:9-12, a SECOND passover was scheduled for those who may have become ceremonially defiled and therefore unable to participate in the first. "...If any man of you or of your posterity shall be unclean by reason of a dead body, or be in a journey afar off, yet he shall keep the passover unto the Lord. The fourteenth day of the SECOND month at even they shall keep it..." (Num. 9:10,11). The normal passover, of course, was held the fourteenth day of the FIRST month.

The best explanation for Herod's delay in bringing Peter out to the people, then, is that he was simply waiting for the first passover festival (including the days of unleavened bread) to run its course. But for those who would press the issue with technicalities over terminology, Acts 12:4 could be referring to the second passover which was only a few weeks away.

HEROD: PAGAN, PIOUS, OR PRAGMATIC
We would in no way wish to suggest that this Herod (known in history as Agrippa I) was a true believer, even under the Jewish program. But we do beg to differ with the view that he was strictly a pagan Roman with no reason to reverence the Jewish passover. While it is true that Agrippa I was educated in Rome, his ancestry can be traced to the Idumeans (or Edomites, descendants of Esau). His grandfather, Herod the Great, had constructed the temple in Jerusalem which stood at the time of Christ. This was not done out of his love for God, but for pragmatic reasons: to gain favor with the Jews. Agrippa's uncle, Herod Antipas initially held off the execution of John the Baptist because "he feared the multitude, because they counted him a prophet" (Matt. 14:5). Other Roman-appointed leaders in Israel showed deference to the Jews (for example, Festus in Acts 25:9), so why shouldn't Herod Agrippa I do the same?

Furthermore, Agrippa's daughter, Drusilla, is called a "Jewess" in Acts 24:24 and his son, Agrippa II is described by Paul as a man who "believest...the prophets" (Acts 26:27). There was obviously a strong Jewish influence on this entire family, so we should not think it strange that in the text in question (Acts 12:4) Herod is thinking of the Jewish passover, not some pagan festival.

Now concerning the question, "What reason is there to believe the Jews would have been upset by Peter being killed at their passover?" There's plenty of reason to think this, most importantly, the Scriptures: Mark 14:1,2 says, "After two days was the feast of the passover, and of unleavened bread: and the chief priests and the scribes sought how they might take him by craft, and put him to death. But they said, not on the feast day, lest there be an uproar of the people." If the very chief priests expected an uproar over an execution during a holy festival, why should it seem strange that the king would also recognize this sentiment in the people over which he ruled?

The fact that Christ was actually killed during this time simply illustrates the significance of His death. Christ was killed in accordance with the fulfillment of Old Testament types and pictures. God arranged for His death during the passover festival to show that the fulfillment of the types took place right on schedule. God simply overruled the sentiment that the chief priests had anticipated in order to carry out His divine plan. But in the case of Peter, there was no divine time schedule to meet, therefore we find the delay of Herod's actions in respect of the wishes of the people.

The Scriptural evidence is clear, the pascha refers to the Jewish passover, not a pagan holyday. If there were no need by some to defend a particular translation of a particular word, no one would have ever imagined that the Holy Spirit meant "Easter" when He said pascha.

<Smiley))><
Ambassador4Christ
Gold Member

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2004, 03:35:41 PM »

"Easter, Should It Be In Your Bible?"

YES!!!!

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

http://forums.christiansunite.com/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=550

Galatians 4:16   Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
ebia
Gold Member

umm

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2004, 03:40:08 PM »

Interesting argument against the Authorised Version.  Grin

My NJB has passover there anyway.

"You shall know the truth, the truth shall set you free.

Christ doesn't need lies or censorship.
ollie
Gold Member

Being born again, .....by the word of God,

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2004, 12:14:07 PM »

Origins of the Word Easter
Easter is from Old Eng. Eastre, name of a spring goddess.  The Columbia Encyclopedia

The term Easter, commemorating the Resurrection of Christ,  comes from the Old English easter or eastre, a festival of
spring.  2000 Encyclopædia Britannica

Support your local Christian.
The Crusader
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2004, 06:15:21 AM »

Origins of the Word Easter
Easter is from Old Eng. Eastre, name of a spring goddess.  The Columbia Encyclopedia

The term Easter, commemorating the Resurrection of Christ,  comes from the Old English easter or eastre, a festival of
spring.  2000 Encyclopædia Britannica

Good, Thanks
Psalm 119

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2004, 05:19:19 PM »

Crusader,

Thank you for bringing this topic up to the readers.

No, "Easter" the goddess, should not be mentioned in the Bible.

Christ our passover lamb will not share his glory with a goddess.

Psalm 119
ebia
Gold Member

umm

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2004, 01:36:13 AM »

Nice to see the die hard A.V. fanatics admit that it's not a perfect translation after all.

Psalm 119

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2004, 10:16:36 AM »

Nice to see the die hard A.V. fanatics admit that it's not a perfect translation after all.

Ebia,

It is the King James 1611 that has the word "Easter" in it. That's one of the reasons I use a New King James that uses the word "passover".

I wouldn't even consider using a NASAB, NIV, or some of the more "modern" watered down translations.

Psalm 119
Reba
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2004, 11:45:20 AM »

(not posted as an argument to anyone just information)

Act 12:4  And when he had caught him, he put him in prison, and deliuered him to foure quaternions of souldiers to be kept, intending after the Passeouer to bring him foorth to the people. GB
Psalm 119

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2004, 10:42:37 PM »

Reba,

It took me a second and then I realized that "GB" was the Geneva Bible. The spelling is a little archaic, but the translation is accurate.

I know the Reformers used the Geneva Bible and were very anti-Catholic. Many mentioned the Pope as the anti-Christ

Interesting?

Psalm 119
HopeAndFaith

Defender of Jesus (and chocolate)

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2004, 02:46:19 AM »

I am wondering the same thing. What am i teaching my daughter? Will celebrating pagan rituals along with the Passover affect my salvation? Christmas too?  Sad

Here are some links i found with historical information about the induction of pagan rituals into the church, such as : easter eggs, easter bunnies, sunrise services, Lent... as with our discussion in December about Christmas, should we celebrate or not, i feel a really strong conviction about all this easter related mumbo jumbo. I don't want anything to cause the Lord to spit me out, or say He doesnt know me because i kept rituals. what do you guys think?

Revelation 3:16
So, because you are lukewarm–neither hot nor cold–I am about to spit you out of my mouth.

http://www.math.uwaterloo.ca/~rbutterw/essays/Easter.html

http://www.biblestudy.org/basicart/easthist.html

http://www.keithhunt.com/Easter.html

http://www.fcgcchurch.com/ReasonsWhyChristiansShouldNotUsetheTermEaster.html
« Last Edit: March 18, 2004, 03:05:47 AM by HopeAndFaith » Logged

Romans 15:13  Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Ghost.
Psalm 119

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2004, 09:54:44 PM »

Hopeand Faith,

I sense you have a strong desire to please the Lord Jesus in all you say and do. You are a strong seeker of truth and purity.

Most  holidays that Christians celebrate have their roots in paganism and Catholicism. This information is readily available on the net to anyone who wants to know the truth. What every Christian must do is pray and seek the Lord. And to remember that Jesus will not share His glory with anyone else.

"Come out from among them and be separate says the Lord. Do not touch what is unclean, and I will receive you." 2 Cor.6:17

The sad reality is that there is still alot of Rome in the Protestant Church. We need another reformation today!

Psalm 119
Whitehorse
Gold Member

I'll think of something.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2004, 12:34:42 AM »

My problem with it is, if that isn't what pascha means, then it shouldn't be translated that way. God's word should always be rendered as it is. Given the number of men and committees that examined every translation of the KJV, how did this slip through?

ebia
Gold Member

umm

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2004, 01:42:04 AM »

My problem with it is, if that isn't what pascha means, then it shouldn't be translated that way. God's word should always be rendered as it is. Given the number of men and committees that examined every translation of the KJV, how did this slip through?
Whatever the origins of the word easter, by the time the A.V. was put together it meant (as it does now) the day Christ rose from the dead and the day we celebrate that each year.  It is, therefore, a perfectly good translation of the word pasha as used in that passage of Hebrews.

The origins of the word are completely irrelevant - do you avoid all use of the word Friday because it comes from the name of a norse godess of dubious morals?

Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2004, 01:59:43 AM »

Or avoid writing with the letter A because it comes from the Pagan Greeks? Or Speaking English because the root language comes from the Pagan Germanic tribes? Or using the sign of the fish because it comes from the Pagan Roman sign of Fertility, with the 2 halves being 2 crescent moons? Or using money because it has the Pagan all seeing eye on the back?

Let us know when the nay-sayers of Easter give all of that up, THEN we will talk. Roll Eyes

Was there ever a time when Common sence was common?
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the