Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 10:25:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286798 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Apologetics (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  "Easter, Should It Be In Your Bible?"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Easter, Should It Be In Your Bible?"  (Read 8626 times)
ebia
Gold Member

umm

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2004, 02:25:35 AM »

Or avoid writing with the letter A because it comes from the Pagan Greeks? Or Speaking English because the root language comes from the Pagan Germanic tribes? Or using the sign of the fish because it comes from the Pagan Roman sign of Fertility, with the 2 halves being 2 crescent moons? Or using money because it has the Pagan all seeing eye on the back?

Let us know when the nay-sayers of Easter give all of that up, THEN we will talk. Roll Eyes
Though with some difficulty, presumably, if they have given up using the letter A and writing in English.

"You shall know the truth, the truth shall set you free.

Christ doesn't need lies or censorship.
ollie
Gold Member

Being born again, .....by the word of God,

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2004, 07:09:02 AM »

Or avoid writing with the letter A because it comes from the Pagan Greeks? Or Speaking English because the root language comes from the Pagan Germanic tribes? Or using the sign of the fish because it comes from the Pagan Roman sign of Fertility, with the 2 halves being 2 crescent moons? Or using money because it has the Pagan all seeing eye on the back?

Let us know when the nay-sayers of Easter give all of that up, THEN we will talk. Roll Eyes
The letter "A", Friday, the English language, sign of fish, or money images are not mistranslations of anything. The word "easter" as used by the translators was used in place of the word for passover. It is a mistranslation.

Acts 12:4.  And when he had apprehended him, he put him in prison, and delivered him to four quaternions of soldiers to keep him; intending after Easter, (passover), to bring him forth to the people.

In the context of the above verse as translated in the KJV it connotates that "easter" was something that Herod and the Jews observed. That which was observed was passover not "easter".
 The people of that time knew nothing of "easter" except maybe the pagan jist of the word. It should not be in God's word. It is a mistranslation. Why did the translators do this? Probably for some adulterated agenda of men that was known at the time of translation. Do we know? We do know it is a word that should not be in the Bible.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2004, 07:13:38 AM by ollie » Logged

Support your local Christian.
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2004, 10:11:54 AM »

The letter "A", Friday, the English language, sign of fish, or money images are not mistranslations of anything. The word "easter" as used by the translators was used in place of the word for passover. It is a mistranslation.

I was replying to Psalm 119, and the other nay-sayers who haven't posted yet. The people who attack things because it resembles paganism in some way, shape, or form.

Was there ever a time when Common sence was common?
ebia
Gold Member

umm

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2004, 02:55:56 AM »

The people of that time knew nothing of "easter" except maybe the pagan jist of the word. It should not be in God's word. It is a mistranslation. Why did the translators do this? Probably for some adulterated agenda of men that was known at the time of translation. Do we know? We do know it is a word that should not be in the Bible.
Sorry, I made a mistake somewhere, typing in haste.

I agree it makes no sense to translate pasha as easter in that particular context.

"You shall know the truth, the truth shall set you free.

Christ doesn't need lies or censorship.
AVBunyan
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2004, 10:31:02 AM »

Nice to see the die hard A.V. fanatics admit that it's not a perfect translation after all.

Well, this die-hard KJV fan believes Easter should be there along with everythng else including the italicized words, puntuation marks, and chapter headings, etc.  If it is in the 1611 AV then it is 100% accurate.  I believe the AV1611 is perfect and inspired.  

But if you or others wish to use other versions I've got grace and will not accost you over that.  I once used to read a NASV after I got saved but when someone pointed out the issue I did some simple research and immediately changed and haven't budged for over 22 years.  I've heard all the arguments and read a bunch of the material and I still mainttain the AV1611 is God's inspired word.

See how simple life can be!!!!

Have a blessed day now!  Wink
michael_legna
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2004, 02:23:16 PM »

Well, this die-hard KJV fan believes Easter should be there along with everythng else including the italicized words, puntuation marks, and chapter headings, etc.  If it is in the 1611 AV then it is 100% accurate.  I believe the AV1611 is perfect and inspired.  

How do you account for the error at Matt 6:13 where it includes the doxology at the end of the Lord's Prayer?  

This is either a mistake in the KJV or every Bible the Christian Church relied on until that time (the Greek New Testament used in the Orthodox Church, the Pesh*tta used by the Coptics and the Vulgate used in by the Roman Catholics) was in error since none of them contain this phrase.  

Most modern scholars now admit this is an error in the KJV and other Protestant Bibles that rely on the Textus Receptus

I read the KJV frequently I am comfortable with the language and use it to further reach those I do apologetics with.  It is a fine translation but it is not infallible nor is it inspired.

I've heard all the arguments and read a bunch of the material and I still mainttain the AV1611 is God's inspired word.

What is it with you and your claiming to know all the arguments to every issue?  Is it just you have made up your mind and don't want to be confused by the facts or are you just tired after 22 years of apologetics?

See how simple life can be!!!!

Yes it is simple if you stop questioning and take the attitude that you know everything.

Matt 5:11  Blessed are ye when they shall revile you, and persecute you, and speak all that is evil against you, untruly, for my sake:
BUTCHA

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2004, 08:49:28 PM »

amen brother Smiley
Heidi
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2004, 06:22:39 PM »

Why should Easter be in the bible? People who want to set aside a time to celebrate Christ's resurrection do because they want to rather than because they are told to do. It comes from the heart, not the "rules and regulations of men" as Christ put it. I, for one, do not think that it is necessary to have it in the bible at all.
ollie
Gold Member

Being born again, .....by the word of God,

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2004, 08:28:47 PM »

Why should Easter be in the bible? People who want to set aside a time to celebrate Christ's resurrection do because they want to rather than because they are told to do. It comes from the heart, not the "rules and regulations of men" as Christ put it. I, for one, do not think that it is necessary to have it in the bible at all.
Should it not be 24/7/365? The commemoration in the heart of the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ? For Christians that is.

Ollie
« Last Edit: April 14, 2004, 08:31:43 PM by ollie » Logged

Support your local Christian.
Sower

Romans 8:31-39

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2004, 10:05:45 PM »

I am wondering the same thing. What am i teaching my daughter? Will celebrating pagan rituals along with the Passover affect my salvation? Christmas too?

HopeAndFaith:

The first thing that you need to understand about your salvation is that it is A GIFT OF GOD to those who believe the Gospel (Rom. 6:23; Eph. 2:8,9).   Your obedience to Christ after your salvation will determine your fellowship with God on earth and your rewards in Heaven, but THE GIFT OF GOD IS ETERNAL LIFE, and those who are saved are IN CHRIST, and Christ is IN THEM. Therefore you are eternally secure in Christ. You are "bone of His bones, and flesh of His flesh" (Eph. 5:30-32) if you are a child of God (Jn. 1:12,13). He does not break off parts of His body and cast them into the Lake of Fire.  That is false doctrine.

The second thing to understand is that for believers who remember the death, burial and resurrection of Christ every day, and every Lord's Day at the Breaking of Bread [the Lord's Supper] these are stupendous truths. However, those who observe Easter or Christmas with a sincere heart to worship the living God are not "celebrating pagan rituals" unless they involve themselves with Easter eggs, bunnies, hotcross buns, etc. and focus on the worldly aspects of the worldly "Easter".

It is true that Easter comes from "Astarte" the pagan goddess also known by many other names. But unless one is really a pagan who actually worships Astarte [and there are many today], you may call that day "Resurrection Day" if you will, and God knows the difference. Easter Sunday can be an exceptional opportunity to preach the Gospel!

I don't want anything to cause the Lord to spit me out, or say He doesnt know me because i kept rituals. what do you guys think? (Revelation 3:16 So, because you are lukewarm–neither hot nor cold–I am about to spit you out of my mouth.)

This Scripture should not be misapplied to Christians or believers who have been saved by grace and washed in the blood of the Lamb.  Notice very carefully that the Lord makes it very clear that He is addressing Laodicean "professors" and not "possessors". Notice Rev. 3:17:

"THOU ART WRETCHED" -- but Christians are "BLESSED with all spiritual blessings in Christ Jesus" (Eph. 1:3)

"THOU ART MISERABLE" -- but for Christians "truly our fellowship is with the Father, and with His Son Jesus Christ. And these things write we unto you that your JOY may be full" (1 Jn. 1:3,4).

"AND POOR" -- but for Christians it is "For ye know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that, though He was rich, yet for your sakes He became poor, that ye through His poverty MIGHT BE RICH" (2 Cor. 8:9).

"AND BLIND" -- but for Christians "God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, HATH SHINED IN OUR HEARTS, to give the light of the knowledge of God in the face of Jesus Christ" (2 Cor. 4:6).

"AND NAKED" -- but for Christians who are "the wife of the Lamb" "to her was granted that she should be ARRAYED IN FINE LINEN, CLEAN AND WHITE: for the fine linen is the [imputed] righteousness of saints" (Rev.19:8; Rom. 3:22).

So the reader must ask himself or herself whether they are "professors" or "possessors" of eternal life. If you are a possessor, then you have everlasting life (Jn. 3:16).
« Last Edit: April 14, 2004, 11:04:39 PM by Sower » Logged

Grace, mercy, and peace, from God our Father, and Jesus Christ our Lord. 1 Timothy 1:2
Sower

Romans 8:31-39

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2004, 10:57:25 PM »

Nice to see the die hard A.V. fanatics admit that it's not a perfect translation after all.

Although I would not be able to agree tha the AV 1611 is "inspired" [since inspiration was reserved for prophets, apostles and evangelists], I concur with AVBUnyan's sentiment:  THERE ARE NO MISTAKES IN THE KJV.

Michael Legna calls the use of the word "Easter" in Acts 12:4 a "mistake" in the AV.  It is not a mistake but an ANACHRONISM, and there is a difference. An anachronism is "the putting of a person, thing or event in some time where it does not belong". Perhaps there was a reason.

Easter was not known to first century Christians, and as already pointed out, the Geneva Bible translated the Greek word pascha as "passover", which is also the case in Berry's Interlinear Greek-English NT.

I believe the AV translators used the word "Easter" more for the convenience of English readers than for anything else, wanting to connect the "days of unleavened bread" (12:3) with the remembrance of the resurrected Lord, whose resurrection was observed annually in the 17th century at approximately the same time as the Jewish passover.

"Easter [was] THE PRINCIPAL FESTIVAL OF THE CHURCH YEAR...  Easter is central to the whole Christian year: not only does the whole ecclesiatical calendar of movable feasts depend upon it's date, but the whole year of worship is arranged around it. IN THE LITURGICAL TEXTS THE EMPHASIS IS LAID ON IT'S BEING THE CHRISTIAN PASSOVER..." (Brittanica).

We should not forget that during the time the KJV was written, Christianity, by and large was liturgical in the Roman Catholic, Orthodox, and Church of England churches, and even in many Reformation churches. While evangelical Christians today do not observe ecclesiatical calendars, we can at least understand why the AV translators might have though it appropriate to call the passover "Easter". In any event, many Bibles have the word "passover" in the margin, so this is really a non-issue.

Grace, mercy, and peace, from God our Father, and Jesus Christ our Lord. 1 Timothy 1:2
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the