Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:07:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286777 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Fellowship
| |-+  Just For Women (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  The Beauty of Marriage
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beauty of Marriage  (Read 5703 times)
Ambassador4Christ
Gold Member

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

View Profile WWW
« on: March 01, 2004, 05:16:47 PM »

The Beauty of Marriage
By Misty Goley
goleys@crosswork.org

Just this week I was looking at wedding photos and found myself getting teary eyed just flipping through the pages. I asked myself "Why do weddings make you cry?" It is, in most cases, the happiest day of one's life. The beauty of it just tugs at my heart. Of course, it is the second institution put in place by God. What makes marriage so beautiful anyway? Is it the day to day struggles of trying to make it on your own without the financial or emotional help of your parents? (Genesis 2:24) Is it letting go of a close friendship that could come between you and your spouse? (Genesis 39:7-18) Although, it may not seem like it, these are two of the many components involved in making a marriage relationship a beautiful one. God instructs a husband and wife to leave and cleave (Ephesians 5:31) and to be true to each other (I Corinthians 7:). A wife is to submit to her husband (Ephesians 5:22), and a husband to love his wife (Ephesians 5:25). They are to honor one another in these things so long as they both shall live. As long as one keeps Christ in the center of their relationship, reads and believes what God's word teaches for husbands and wives, then the marriage can not fail.

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

http://forums.christiansunite.com/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=550

Galatians 4:16   Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
sincereheart
Gold Member

"and with His stripes we are healed." Isaiah 53:5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2004, 06:59:03 PM »

Amen!  Smiley

The Crusader
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2004, 06:13:55 AM »

YES!!! Amen

God instructs a husband and wife to leave and cleave (Ephesians 5:31) and to be true to each other (I Corinthians 7:).

And Amen

<Smiley))><
sincereheart
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2004, 07:17:55 AM »

"A happy marriage is the union of two good forgivers."
~Robert Quillan

Shylynne
Gold Member

Oh that I might kiss the feet of God!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2004, 07:34:53 AM »

I like that!  

I think a happy marriage is the union of two willing sacrificers  Cheesy

“Christianity isn't all that complicated … it's Jesus.”   — Joni Eareckson Tada

There is no force on earth as powerful as one human soul set ablaze with the Spirit of God -  Shylynne
The Crusader
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2004, 06:13:43 AM »

Shylynne and sincereheart, Amen!
sincereheart
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2004, 07:20:57 AM »

Beth Moore on wives, husbands and Christ
by Beth Moore

This article is adapted from the Broadman & Holman book, To Live is Christ.

Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord ... Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church.  (Eph. 5:22, 25)

Paul found receptive soil in Ephesus, even in the midst of terrible hardships.  His lengthy and effective ministry in Ephesus not only resulted in deep bonds of love (see Acts 20:37-38); it also freed him to proceed to great depths in his letter.  If you have a Bible translation with chapter or paragraph headings, turn to Ephesians and look at the subjects Paul explored in his letter.

Space limits me to choose only one subject from the Book of Ephesians for this article.  We will examine the subject of marriage: Ephesians 5:22-23 revolves around the Biblical roles of three distinct figures intimately involved in marriage - wives, husbands, and Christ.  We will approach each role individually.  Ladies, let’s get the painful part over first!

Part 1:  The Role of Christian Wives
First, notice verse 21:  “Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ.”  The attitude of all Christians is to be submissive to one another.  No discussion of this topic can stay on track apart from that spirit.

How does the principle of mutual submission play itself out in marriage?  The way I see it, my husband, Keith, has to worry about things I don’t.  He sometimes has to come up with answers when I can’t.  He’s responsible for things I’m not.  Many times, I’m very happy to pass the proverbial buck.  

Keith would say the same about me.  He really doesn’t want to drive a carload of teenagers all over the city or sit for hours on the end of our daughters’ beds discussing matters of the heart.  

Usually we defer to each other on our “turf issues.”  When I’m not in agreement with Keith, I usually speak up, and we pray and work it out – at times less easily than others!  This spirit of praying things through until we can come to consensus on important issues is the essence of mutual respect and the opposite of “lording it over one another.”

Paul’s primary directive to women dealt with submission, while his primary directive to men dealt with love.  Could it be that he was targeting the areas most likely to be our weaknesses?  Before we learn what submission means for Christian wives, let’s learn what it does not mean:

1. Submission does not mean women are under the authority of men in general.  
I love the King James Version’s rendition of Ephesians 5:22 “Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands.”  Guess what?  Wives aren’t asked to submit to anyone else’s husband!  Just their own!  

While I make this point somewhat tongue-in cheek, many women assume the Bible teaches their general inferiority and subjection to men.  Untrue.  Paul is talking about marriage as a matter between each husband and wife.

2. Submission does not mean inequality.  
Paul, the same man who taught submission, made a statement in Galatians 3:28 pertinent to our subject:  “There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.”

Spiros Zodhiates’ definition of the Greek word hupotasso explains that submission “is not due to her being inferior to her husband, for they are both equal before God.”

3.  Submission does not mean wives are to treat their husbands like God.  
The Bible Knowledge Commentary explains:  “'As to the Lord' does not mean that a wife is to submit to her husband in the same way she submits to the Lord, but rather that her submission to her husband is her service rendered ‘to the Lord.’”   I think most husbands are relieved they are not called on to be God to their wives!

4.  Submission does not mean slavery.  
Let’s release a few old notions and fears!  Paul uses an entirely different word in Ephesians 6:5 when he instructs slaves to obey their masters.  This Greek word for “obey,” huakouo embraces more of the meaning people often mistakenly associate with marital submission.  Hupaaakouo means “to obey, to yield to a superior command or force (without necessarily being willing).”  The term draws a picture of a soldier saluting his commander, not a wife submitting to her husband!  

Now that we’ve learned a few things submission does not mean, just exactly what does it mean?  

The Greek word for “submit” is hupotasso.  Hupo means “under” and tasso means “to place in order.”  The compound word hupotasso means “to place under or in an orderly fashion.”  Paul didn’t dislike women, he liked order!  He advocated order in the church, order in government, order in business, and, yes, order in the home.  

I’m convinced he even kept his prison cell in order!  Galatians 3:28 and Ephesians 5:22 could spill from the same man’s pen because Paul regarded husbands and wives as spiritual equals but with functional differences.

The concept of a submissive wife really used to go against my grain until I began to learn more about God.  Two realizations have changed my entire attitude:

1. God is good and loving.  
He would never give approval to meanness or abuse.  Any misuse of submission by either the husband or wife is sin.

2. God granted women a measure of freedom in submission that we can learn to  enjoy.  
It is a relief to know that as a wife and mother I am not totally responsible for my family.  I have a husband to look to for counsel and direction.  I can rely on his toughness when I am too soft and his logic when I am too emotional.

Certainly, I haven’t just delivered the definitive dissertation on submission, but I believe I’m offering you sound doctrine.  I hope it helps.  Now, let’s take a brief look at the role of husbands, according to Ephesians 5:25-31.

-Pastors.com®-

This article is adapted from Beth Moore’s, To Live is Christ (Broadman & Holman, 2001, pp. 249-257). Used by permission. Copyright Beth Moore, 2001.

http://www.pastors.com/article.asp?printerfriendly=1&ArtID=3908

sincereheart
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2004, 07:22:51 AM »

Part 2:  The Role of Christian Husbands
Thus far Paul probably had the Ephesian Christians nodding their heads in agreement.  Submission of the wife to the husband was codified Hebraic law.  Nothing new here.  

Now Paul raised eyebrows in a hurry.  He told husbands to love their wives.  The Greek word for “love” is agapao, meaning “to esteem, love, indicating a direction of the will and finding one’s joy in something or someone.”  

Notice the phrase “indicating a direction of the will.”  A husband is called by God to exercise his will to love his wife.  Love is not simply an emotion or a feeling.  Love is a willingness to continue in devotion and goodness toward the spouse.

For a society where women were little more than property, passed from father to husband, the command to love their wives was a radical idea.  Paul knew few role models existed for the men to follow.  He gave them the best role model possible:  Jesus Christ.

1.  Husbands should love their wives sacrificially “as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her” (v. 25).  
Just as a husband must be careful not to abuse his wife’s exhortation to submission, a wife must not abuse her husband’s exhortation to sacrifice.  Some men work several jobs sacrificing time at home in a continual effort to raise the standard of living for their families.

2.  Husbands should love their wives in ways that encourage purity.  
Christ encourages purity in His bride, the church, desiring for her to be holy and without stain.  God calls upon husbands to treat their wives as pure vessels even in physical intimacy.

3. Husbands should love their wives as their own bodies” (v. 28).  
I have to snicker when I think about verses 28 and 29.  I wonder if Paul might have been thinking, “If you love yourself at all, Mister, then love your wife – because life will be far more pleasant under the same roof with a well-loved woman!”  

I also have to wonder if Paul’s reference to a man treating his wife as he does his own body, such as feeding and caring for it, implies that husbands are supposed to cook for their wives.  I’m not certain about that interpretation, but I would submit to my husband’s cooking any day!

I would like to suggest one last responsibility for both husbands and wives based on the final phrase in Ephesians 5:31: “And the two will become one flesh.”  

The Greek word for “flesh” in this passage is arx, which means “flesh of a living creature in distinction from that of a dead one.”  Our marriages were meant to be alive, not dead.  Is your marriage more like a romance or roadkill?

Think of marriage as a three-legged stool.  The legs are a submissive wife, a loving husband, and Christ.  All three legs must be in place for marriage to work as God intended.  A wife submitting to an unloving husband is as lopsided as a loving husband sacrificing for a domineering wife.  

When Christ is not the head of the marriage relationship, the stool falls indeed.  Paul pictures for us God’s ideal marriage relationship.  Sadly, many Christian women are trying to keep their stools balanced with only one leg in place – their submission.

Over the course of the last twenty years, my marriage has been at both extremes and everywhere in between, but Keith and I have never been the types who could tolerate dull for very long.  God has always been faithful to restore the life, passion, and active care to our marriage, and we have worked very hard to cooperate.  

You may need help from a real marriage expert like we have needed at times.  I’d like to recommend the one who saved our marriage.  His name is Wonderful Counselor, and His office is open twenty-four hours a day.  He also uses human Christian counselors to help with His caseload!

-Pastors.com®-

This article is adapted from Beth Moore’s, To Live is Christ (Broadman & Holman, 2001, pp. 249-257). Used by permission. Copyright Beth Moore, 2001.

sincereheart
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2004, 07:24:10 AM »

Part 3:  The Role of Christ in Marriage
Not only has Christ set the standard for a good marriage and the example of a loving husband, He offers sound counsel.  Then He supplies every ounce of power necessary to make a marriage work.

“For by him all things were created” (Col. 1:16).  Beloved, God created marriage (Gen. 2:21-24).  

Figuratively speaking, before Adam and Eve said, “I do,” God did.  No one helped Him.  Only God created marriage, and only He can hold it together.  

Many people live in the same home and share a joint checking account under the same name, but they don’t have a clue about the true covenant of marriage.  Marriage as the institution and wonderful mystery God created cannot exist or hold together without Him.

-Pastors.com®-

The Crusader
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2004, 05:13:33 AM »

Good message sincereheart, Amen
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the